What's the weather like over there?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I live in Massachusetts (just below Maine) I wouldn't mind living in Maine but not too far from civilization. I'm a horrible cook so I need restaurants close by :)

If I could look out my backdoor and see mountains, and the sea out the front door I'd be in heaven. Got the sea part here, but I think the highest point on the cape is around 300 feet.

In that case Knuckles... Move to Stellenbosch(or Cape Town/Somerset West/Strand/Gordons Bay) and you will have mountains on one side, the beach not more than 30min drive away, oh, and the Western Cape is the Culinary center of South Africa. Of the 10 best restaurant in SA there is 9 situated in the Western Cape (3 of them made it on the worlds 50 top restaurants).

and it is the beautiful South Africa... what more could you want?

The weather at the moment is Cold Winter(colder than I'm used to with Northern South Africa) and then winter rain... :( but it'll be spring and then summer again shortly

Delta!

Edited by Delta!

masteff: Lucky you... Not too fond of heatwaves myself, but would be kinda nice after all this rain..

24 day forecasts give us rain every day. Although they aren't that accurate on such timescape, so far it's been spot on...

And with some great thunders this really is quite _interesting_ summer...

I gotta say summer here's been pretty model. Clear skies, not too many showers and some good humidity with the occasional forray. Masteff you should trade your summer with StormWing's^^ , chattius, hope there's lots of swimming on the agenda!

:)

gogo

For those of you on the Metric system, 108 degrees Fahrenheit equals in Celsius to: way too hot!

7_day.jpg

Much of the US is in a bad drought. Many small towns are on water rationing, which means no watering of yards or gardens. Much of the corn harvest in the US is likely to be ruined.

Edited by masteff

My understanding is... air conditioning units sold in this area are built to be most efficient in the mid-90s. So most of the year, they run great and we stay nice and cool.

The downside is when the outside temp gets over 105, the outside coil can't cool itself properly. I normally keep my house around 75, but I expect when I get home tonight that it will be about 80 inside. Last summer when we hit 113, my house was in the mid-80s.

And Gogo, if you want a job that keeps you busy, come be an AC repair person in Oklahoma. A good system will last 15 years but not without a few breakdowns along the way. And especially when they're running 24/7 like right now.

I have what's called a "package unit" meaning it has heat, air and blower in one large box that sits outside. Mine happens to be a commercial unit so it's a bit more durable. I've had it 6 or 7 years with no problems. Well, I have a problem with drafts which make the house hotter or colder, but that's not the AC unit's fault. :)

• 1 month later...

Weather Forecast: Atlantic deep pressure with heavy rain arriving from Atlantics via the Netherlands. Mediterran High pressure with lots of sun arriving from fouth france. Forecast for today: north of central-mountain ranges Rain storms, south of central mountains sun.

But noone says what is the weather at my place mid in the central mountains. Could be sun, could be rain,could be 'Fallwinde' (heavy storms when rain is cooling the arriving hot air in a sudden and cold air accelerating quickly to 120km/h storms in a few minutes. Could be flooding: if rain clouds are stopped on place by the highpressure winds and release all their water on a small area, ...

Fallwind seems fo be downbursts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downburst

Around 14-17 C and relatively fair weather. There was quite big storm on the southern Finland last night. Electricity shortages, and such.

Only had quite windy here in inland. It really has it's quircs to live away from the coast. :)

Sunny weather (forecast said 30% chance of rain today) not to hot, not to cold, just nice weather.

Delta!

I hope you're outside, and get to enjoy some of it.. we're moving into our winter months here, dark...

Around 14-17 C and relatively fair weather. There was quite big storm on the southern Finland last night. Electricity shortages, and such.

Only had quite windy here in inland. It really has it's quircs to live away from the coast. :)

I love storms, though the power out is a big drag... actually...maybe I don't like storms :lol:

Just woke up , my room was so dark, rain outside, grey skies, rain...

maybe I'll buy some chocolate

:agreed:

gogo

The weather last days was downbursts on wet ground, so we got first night frosts.

But stormy winds are actually nice for kids doing some kite flying.

Geman word for kite is Drache (dragon),painting from 1405. The open mount channeling air into the flute like pole making roaring sounds. Was used to make fear into the enemy's army, mainly uneducated quickly drafted farmers.

430px-Konrad_Kyeser%2C_Bellifortis%2C_Clm_30150%2C_Tafel_21%2C_Blatt_91v.jpg

Been awfully windy for couple of days, along with quite heavy rain and about 10C. I don't mind, seeing it rains mostly at night, but autumn is certainly arrived.

Makes me kinda somber every year. Not so much nowadays, but still.

Should light up some candles and have some hot chocolate.

Gogs: Yep. The shortages usually arrive at the most unconvenient time. Before saving after a long session of gaming and such. :viking:

Luckily, I got a surplus UPS from a friend, so that I can put PC and PS3 on "emergency power", if need be. Hoping to make the critical saving, whatever it is I'm doing. :)

Massive rain I went from one building to another when I entered all got a laugh look down my pants. had to laugh to because It looked like I had a massive pee explosion haha.

Edited by Epox
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish, I could send some rain there, Jason. Been raining at least some nearly every day this week... And if forecasts are right, it'll continue still...

Perfect excuse to stay indoors, true. But some sunshine every now and then would be nice.

We have had a few rainy and overcast days, but today is mild weather, little bit on the cool side, but still pleasant in shorts and flip flops. Hope it will rain hard tomorrow so that it will be quieter at the restaurant and we will have fewer walk-ins.

Delta!

• 3 weeks later...

What we used to call "dreich" (spelling anyone?).

But with my wife away perhaps I am biased - looks miserable and grey to me though.

No photos - would be too depressing!

We are lucky that we are on the route of cranes and wild geese flying south. Counted around 1400 in the 10 minutes I was out of work hall today. However the sunny weather with thermic they need is most often followed with cold days and often snow. They are clever these birds. So I put all the winter equipment in readiness: snow shovel, anti-ice granulat,...

And a mixed forest (needle and leaf trees) in autumn with sunshine falling in and lightening the different colour of leaves, beautiful. Too bad I hadn't my camera with me when I walked with the dogs.

And all the (early) fog which make people sad, it looks nice if you live uphill and the the roofs of the village houses swimming in the sea of fog with sun shining on them :P

Well I have to pay for this view with more snow and ice than the people downhill in winter...

What we used to call "dreich" (spelling anyone?).

But with my wife away perhaps I am biased - looks miserable and grey to me though.

No photos - would be too depressing!

She's on vac? Somewhere warm, sunny, beachy?

Hopefully she'll be back with pix to sweep away the "dreich"... nice word btw :thumbsup:

We are lucky that we are on the route of cranes and wild geese flying south. Counted around 1400 in the 10 minutes I was out of work hall today. However the sunny weather with thermic they need is most often followed with cold days and often snow. They are clever these birds. So I put all the winter equipment in readiness: snow shovel, anti-ice granulat,...

And a mixed forest (needle and leaf trees) in autumn with sunshine falling in and lightening the different colour of leaves, beautiful. Too bad I hadn't my camera with me when I walked with the dogs.

And all the (early) fog which make people sad, it looks nice if you live uphill and the the roofs of the village houses swimming in the sea of fog with sun shining on them :P

Well I have to pay for this view with more snow and ice than the people downhill in winter...

We've had the amazing leaves and colors for last few weeks as well, better than any special effect!

:bounce:

One word; Winter. Yeah, first snowfalls even this "south".

I'm sure they'll melt aways one of these days, but still, winter's comming...

Ayuh, we had a glorious Indian Summer here too, but the cold winds are a coming, I think my coat is looking like it needs an update too

:P

gogo