What's the weather like over there?

You guys have all this snow...and we're cooking through 30°C and warmer and it's staying hot overnight...I think it was still just under 30°C at 10 last night, tough to sleep!

gawd...I can't even imagine anything that hot right now... such extremities we have....

what a wonderful world!

:gogo:

gogo

I could use a little of that heat here....we had thunder snow for a bit here....if you happen to visit the weather channel you can see Cantore's reaction to hearing it several times...pretty funny

Up to the 3rd snowiest winter of all time with weeks yet to go...need another 20 inches or so to break the all-time record. This month has been the snowiest month of all-time and still only halfway thru the month. I'm running out of spots to put the snow. Luckily my neighbor is only here during summer so their driveway now has several feet of snow in it :P

Snow has stopped falling but we are STILL under a blizzard watch til 7am tomorrow....that is how windy it is...up to hurricane force winds here...luckily winds are out of the north, so south-facing beaches aren't flooding....otherwise this would have definitely flooded my basement and street :o

Lost power for about 2 hours and just got it back....really feel for the electrical trouble crews working out in this mess...hope they are getting well paid for it...tough job to do in these conditions.

Really really really sick of winter now....just one of those years where it seems every storm hits us and hits hard...only 2 days so far in February without snow...aaaaaaand another storm forecast for Tuesday/Wednesday.

Just glad I have a snow blower...have a lot of elderly/retired neighbors, many on fixed incomes/retirement and aren't healthy enough to shovel out themselves nor pay someone to do it for them....so I've cleared out about 10 driveways so far, no charge...but I know I got a lot of home-baked treats coming my way :D I refuse to let them pay me, so they make treats for me and my daughter...win-win as far as I'm concerned. Plus I feel compelled to do it anyways. Some of my neighbors have health issues so cleaning out driveways just makes it easier for emergency crews to reach them if something bad happens and I feel better knowing I helped and at least checked in on them to make sure they're ok.

But I am definitely ready for Spring

couple pics

snow2_zpsde3b95fb.jpg

snow_zps05242580.jpg

snow3_zps13394f84.jpg

G'd on ya for helping out the neighbors, Knuckles... good actions like that go far.

And those cookies sound delicious, those will go far too!

(At least until the neighbor comes back and sees his new ski hill in his drive way / :lol:)

:)

gogo

I guess the more accurate name is one-wall handball. It looks like tennis off a wall instead of over a net. Or racket ball with only one wall instead of five (sides n ceiling.) It's on YouTube. It's a really big New York sport.

It's called american handball here. Normal handball has 2 goals and Faustball (fist ball) is a bit like Volleyball but on gras fields, ball may hit ground once, and no open hands ( = only fist and arms) allowed.

Handball has different rules outdoors and indoors. Because we have no beach, flat concrete ground or sport halls around the main ball sports in our area are: soccer, field handball, fistball, under water rugby and Kopfballtennis (Headis). My second daughter likes headis ever since she first saw it.

Headis is a sport where kids from different sports can play together. Table tennis players have an advantage because the movement around the table is much the same, soccer players can use the fact that playing with the head belongs to soccer, tennis players can convert their strategies, ... Also boys and girls can play together, no bodily contacts and the muscles of boys are countered by less weight and more agility of the girls.

Another advantage for me: I can install a table tennis plate in a hurry at bad weather in the barn. But you need a massive socket because it is allowed to jump on the table to get a ball. The concrete tabble tennis plates at parks and school fields are ideal ;)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2294917-meet-headis-a-ridiculous-table-sport-from-germany

800px-Headis_tournament.jpg

• Like! 1

Well, Mother Nature figured out it's still winter. Two snow storms this week. Tonight it's supposed to get down to -2 with a -10 wind chill (that's -19 & -23 for those of you in the rest of the world).

• Like! 1

Yes, I have the clothes for it. I used to shoot archery every weekend from January thru September (except Easter and Mother's Day) rain or shine. Not so much anymore, but I still have the clothes. I was at a shoot this past weekend at 18 deg F, and I was totally comfortable.

Goodness me! I walk around here with the lightest t-shirts and shorts, a fan on in my room all the time, and we all try to keep as cool as possible... Today is a pleasant temperature... Not really sure what is was outside, I've been stuck inside in kitchen the whole day...

Delta!

Sadly we have a heat wave. One Celcius at night and 7 at day is way too warm here. I need frozen ground for wood transports :(

@Lujate: Which sort of bow? Our oldest was quite good in mongolian shooting, 3 arrows from a galloping horse. Our second daughter does volunteer help in a home for handicapped people. Two of them do archery from a chairwheel. We lack a wide valley for the 150metre needed by law for 90m shooting. So they do field archery in the forests we have. Savety rules for the targets are a bit complicated ;)

Because of her injured leg from a car crash our second doesn't shoot anymore. Standing hurts the leg, running when full of adrenaline is more her sports now, feels less painful she says.

I have a Black Widow brand recurve bow. I shoot "3D archery", which is probably similar to your field archery. 3D archery is a course thru the woods shooting at 3d animal targets at unknown distances, one arrow per target.

They shoot:

Normal bows, no targetting aids, 4 black circles with yellow bulls eyes per target, for 50% of the targets the distance (15-60metres) is unknown, targets may be up to 45 degrees below or above. That makes the savety rules complicated because a shot upwards and a possible nock breakage needs a lot of savety space.

Cranes and storks were coming back yesterday so spring shouldn't be that far.

Weather today is Graupel. When looking up Graupel in the dict I noticed that Graupel was adopted by english weathermen too. Escimos may have 50 words for different ice and snow, english 50 words for fog, but german has 50 words for rain in all its variants.

Graupel (German pronunciation: [ˈɡʁaʊpəl]; English /ˈɡrpəl/, also called soft hail or snow pellets)[1] is precipitation that forms when supercooled droplets of water are collected and freeze on a falling snowflake, forming a 2–5 mm (0.079–0.197 in) ball of rime. The term graupel comes from the German language.

• Like! 1

I think we're about to break the record for the coldest winter ever in the province of Quebec.

Egad, Max, yer feeling this too? Thanks god I got the good boots and jacket this year. And...to hear it's just gonna continue... I do believe I'm out of " bring it on!" to nature defiance threats... in fact, I'm about ready to cry surrender!

:cry:

gogo

Know how you feel Max...27th consecutive day below average temperature, though Sunday should end that streak....we're about 1° off for coldest February ever right now

Niagara falls has frozen ... !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/niagara-falls-spectacular-ice-boulders-form-1.2964723

:oooo:

gogo

A good break for you then! We're kind of used to the cold weather here, but it's been going on for so long... the darker days, and grey skies get to you after a while.

Waiting for some of your wet weather over here too, plus some of the balmy numbers that come with it

:D

gogo

• Like! 1