What's the weather like over there?

There is one good thing about the thunderstorm: my water well is full, so are the fish ponds. Hope I don't need a water truck this year to fill my well.

• Like! 1

We had a serious heat wave day yesterday ,but today's a cool morning at 23... only that was really horrible was that the tennants upstairs had their floors re done and the smell of the varnish was horrible... had to flee our place just after I got home and hang out at a donut store for a while till the smell became manageable... and because it was too hot, opening windows was not smart if we didnt want a melt down...

and... I think they're doing another coat today?

aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:oooo:

gogo

Come on down here gogo...we've had highs only in the high 70's low 80's (around 25-26C) with low humidity and a nice sea breeze.

Not much rain yet this summer though....running about a 5 inch deficit for the year

• Like! 1

Come on down here gogo...we've had highs only in the high 70's low 80's (around 25-26C) with low humidity and a nice sea breeze.

Not much rain yet this summer though....running about a 5 inch deficit for the year

oh wow, that sounds awesome...hearing the sea! are you near an amtrak?

Yer probably closer to me than my mom in Bethesda, near the navy base

:)

gogo

They've been turning all the railroad tracks into bike paths down here so I have no idea how close Amtrak might come. More than likely you'd be taking a bus

Coldest morning of the winter so far. 0.3 C becoming -2.2 C due to wind chill. The car had a layer of frost. First time I've experienced it here in Sydney.

30C and raining at nights... These are the nights the slugs are on the hunt.

There is an epic battle going on: my lonely wife against an armada of spanish slug invaders for the salade plants. In an heroic act to support her I was fighting with leopard-slugs in the bush land. I caught 8 and watched them running for the spanish slugs. After 10 minutes of watching they did the 4 feet and started eating the spaniards alive.

The snail fighting page was right with the photo. We have the striped variant in our hills and call them Tigerschnegel. But the spotted leopard like is more common worldwide it seems. And luckily for me, the predators are not for the fresh salade plants so far. They seem to prefer rotten plants at the compost heap if no spaniards around.

Tigerschnegel-2.jpg

800px-Limax_maximus_MHNT.jpg

• Like! 1

It got ninety yesterday and I refuse to complain. I will enjoy it by force if I have to. I will not hope for cooler weather. I will not rush my summer. I will be hot and I will appreciate it!

It got ninety yesterday and I refuse to complain. I will enjoy it by force if I have to. I will not hope for cooler weather. I will not rush my summer. I will be hot and I will appreciate it!

You're about a 3-4 hour drive west for me and I think the hottest we've been all year is 81°F. Got to love the sea breeze.

One thing I love about Cape Cod (other than the beach) is we are always milder than the nearby cities. I'm about an hour drive from Boston and Providence. They are both coastal/ocean bordering cities too. But.....

In the summer they are always hotter than my town...they hit the 90°s all the time while we rarely do. Last year we reached the 90°s three times with the hottest temp last summer at 92. We're usually in the high 70's to low 80's. In the winter it's the complete opposite. The mainland is always colder. They commonly see temps below 0°F (-17.8°C), while we can go several years without that happening.

Reason we are cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter than Boston is that Cape Cod juts out into the Atlantic Ocean. We are surrounded by water on 3 sides. The water takes longer than the air to warm up in summer and longer to cool down in winter. Add in the Gulf Stream pumping warm water up from the Caribbean and all it takes is a sea breeze to change our temps 10-15° warmer or cooler depending on season. So typically we don't have brutal heat waves or nasty cold snaps.

The only downside is during the summer tourists flock to the Cape and makes traffic horrendous. You should see the traffic coming on Cape on a Friday afternoon or leaving Sunday evening. There are only 2 bridges connecting the Cape and only 2 lanes for each side. Backups can become epic.

The only real down side during winter is noreaster's....we get hit regulary by these things..and being out the ocean...we get the full brunt of them.

Our second just came with the analogue photos she did at the solstice 2 weeks ago. The volunteer firefighters do a big fire each solstice and sell food and drinks to support their youth department.

So the weather 2 weeks ago was sunny with minor sprays of rain.

post-4779-0-69933100-1467460549_thumb.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You know I'll never realy understand weather....

Last week we had a heat wave for the majority of Massachusetts. A heat wave is defined as 3 straight days of 90°F temperatures or higher in a row (in the USA). The only area to miss out was Cape Cod, but we still hit upper 80's each day. I had to work outside all day on one of those 90 degree days (hit 96) and it's not much fun. Heat combined with humidity really sucks.

But a few days later (this last weekend) we had the coolest high temp ever for July 9th and 2nd coolest ever for July 10th. Neither day made it over 65°F. And that was for Boston....was even cooler on Cape. I had a lot of work I could have done outside around the house over the weekend but I decided to be lazy. Had a long week and needed a break. House work still needs to be done though, and I think I'll regret not doing it because.....

According to the forecast, we will have another heat wave starting mid-week and will go into weekend. So in a week's time we go from really hot to really cool to really hot...sigh

Oh I know this happens all the time and I'm sure many of our forum members could relate even worse weather stories...I just marvel at how unpredictable weather can be. No forecaster was able to predict this weekend until it was practically upon us. Heck we even had a family reunion that we had to reschedule due to the cool weekend complete with fog and drizzle both days. It felt much more like mid fall than summer.

Actually I pay my daughter for weather forecasting ;)

The computer programs for radar based weather forecasting are back-upped by nature watchers. I do it for our region because we live at a meteorological divide. Our house often has sun when the back side of the hill it is build in has rain. I delegated it to my daughter (she would need to be 18). Her 30 minutes walking to the school bus is actually WORK if she does emails to the weather forecasters. She has to mail which blossoms are there, birds flying to Africa or when they are coming back, ... Finding a paid job for kids is hard in a village with 125 people.

We have something called Schafskälte end of June. Farmers noticed that there is often a fall in temperature end of June. So they were shearing their sheep after the 'sheep cold'.

Weather research proved that in 89% of all years the sheep cold is happening. So one of my most read books is local weather lore by old people. The local weather lore for July the 13th:

Wie’s Wetter an St. Margaret, dasselbe noch vier Wochen steht.

The weather at July the 13th remains 4 weeks. (74% correct for the last 250 years)

• Like! 1

Actually I pay my daughter for weather forecasting ;)

The computer programs for radar based weather forecasting are back-upped by nature watchers. I do it for our region because we live at a meteorological divide. Our house often has sun when the back side of the hill it is build in has rain. I delegated it to my daughter (she would need to be 18). Her 30 minutes walking to the school bus is actually WORK if she does emails to the weather forecasters. She has to mail which blossoms are there, birds flying to Africa or when they are coming back, ... Finding a paid job for kids is hard in a village with 125 people.

We have something called Schafskälte end of June. Farmers noticed that there is often a fall in temperature end of June. So they were shearing their sheep after the 'sheep cold'.

Weather research proved that in 89% of all years the sheep cold is happening. So one of my most read books is local weather lore by old people. The local weather lore for July the 13th:

Wie’s Wetter an St. Margaret, dasselbe noch vier Wochen steht.

The weather at July the 13th remains 4 weeks. (74% correct for the last 250 years)

That weather forecasting sounds better than what we have here... she should consider loaning out her services :D

And... dry sunny, coolish here... and, Dang... it's Monday...

:ike:

gogo

Long island has been having great weather. 80-90 recently. Lots of sports weather. Been outside a lot. I love it. And still haven't complained it's too hot. I'm doing good lol.

• Like! 1

Long island has been having great weather. 80-90 recently. Lots of sports weather. Been outside a lot. I love it. And still haven't complained it's too hot. I'm doing good lol.

I love that kind of weather. Great temp, not too much humidity, I find myself outside on bike or on trails near me... summer's short

:oooo:

gogo

• Like! 1

Nice thermic and I have 4 hours free flight time with the club owned plane. My wife wants to learn sail plane flying and I hope the weather stays till evening.

• Like! 1

So sore from playing ball for six hours Sunday. I hope I'm good for tomorrow. I can't wait to play again. The weather is beautiful again today. So nice. Summer is going too fast though. Stop it. Slow down!

• Like! 1

So sore from playing ball for six hours Sunday. I hope I'm good for tomorrow. I can't wait to play again. The weather is beautiful again today. So nice. Summer is going too fast though. Stop it. Slow down!

I know that feeling of intense exercise doing what you love till yer exhausted... it rocks!!

the super hot weather here just ended in a down pour, waiting for it to cool off then up to the mountain

:)

gogo

• Like! 1