What's the weather like over there?

1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

Well, it's finally going to get relatively cold this weekend in this neck of the woods. Sunday morning low may be at 0 degrees Celsius and clear, blue-hued skies, so there may be a bit of frost on my old friend (below).

abandoned_old_friend.thumb.png.5b1eee8c97dca62bbcbd4e3b78433b74.png

I love this pic Hooyaah...love where you live...but REALLy love your weather

:bounce:

gogo

On 27/11/2017 at 0:42 PM, gogoblender said:

Dry or humid summer where you are Theuns?

:)

gogo

Bone dry summer here in the Western Cape. It is a winter rainfall area, and we are already in a drought situation. A few winefarms has already said that they will not harvest any grapes to prevent the vines from dying and preserving what moisture they have. 

Today we have an expected high of 40°C... Current temp is 36°C. You could fry an egg by putting the pan outside.

11 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Bone dry summer here in the Western Cape. It is a winter rainfall area, and we are already in a drought situation. A few winefarms has already said that they will not harvest any grapes to prevent the vines from dying and preserving what moisture they have. 

Today we have an expected high of 40°C... Current temp is 36°C. You could fry an egg by putting the pan outside.

Still terrifies me how extreeme the differenct seasons are in teh world...if it can fry and egg, I would not want to think about what this does to peoples' patience

:cry:

gogo

3 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Still terrifies me how extreeme the differenct seasons are in teh world...if it can fry and egg, I would not want to think about what this does to peoples' patience

:cry:

gogo

For people working outside... they can get a bit grumpy, and sweaty... but others have aircon, or atleast a roof over their heads, we open all the doors in the great hall/dining room

the dining room part of the great hall

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=la+residence+franschhoek&rlz=1C1MSNA_enZA669ZA669&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2iLD_qvrXAhVCORQKHcXXB3YQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=949#

through the main entrance into the lawn with the pool.

https://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luxuryhotelexperts.com%2Fimages%2Fshowcase%2Fluxury_hotels_920%2Fla_residence_03.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luxuryhotelexperts.com%2Fproperty.php%3Fhotel_ID%3D576&docid=OgZWaWRtObowuM&tbnid=9PDTYcRdudNbHM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwig-sCDq_rXAhUI1hQKHcgODiYQMwhLKA0wDQ..I&w=920&h=420&bih=949&biw=1920&q=la residence franschhoek&ved=0ahUKEwig-sCDq_rXAhUI1hQKHcgODiYQMwhLKA0wDQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

The Entrance to the great hall. on the leftside are lounges with firplaces, a library upstairs and a cellar down. on the right side is the dining room

https://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwetu.com%2FImageHandler%2F1280x1280%2F8362%2FDPP_4880.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwetu.com%2FiBrochure%2Fen%2FPhotos%2F8362%2FLa_Residence&docid=4Rd_F5JUL8AilM&tbnid=emClc0nhNwSg9M%3A&vet=10ahUKEwig-sCDq_rXAhUI1hQKHcgODiYQMwhdKBUwFQ..I&w=1280&h=604&bih=949&biw=1920&q=la residence franschhoek&ved=0ahUKEwig-sCDq_rXAhUI1hQKHcgODiYQMwhdKBUwFQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

Snowy.thumb.JPG.9d2b76f8f17ec25d11dcdbd45f6345d8.JPG

We had snow mixed with sleet and freezing rain late last night it was at 0 degrees Celsius when I took this photo at about 7:00AM. What a pleasant surprise, indeed.

• Like! 1
On 12/8/2017 at 6:46 AM, Delta! said:

Great pictures, Theuns... sorry I didn't get to these photos till now... It must be thrilling just to work in an environment like this!

gogo

On 12/8/2017 at 8:40 AM, Hooyaah said:

Snowy.thumb.JPG.9d2b76f8f17ec25d11dcdbd45f6345d8.JPG

We had snow mixed with sleet and freezing rain late last night it was at 0 degrees Celsius when I took this photo at about 7:00AM. What a pleasant surprise, indeed.

Do you keep winter clothes stored for days like this? Is this a rare cold-weather day?

gogo

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Do you keep winter clothes stored for days like this? Is this a rare cold-weather day?

gogo

Of course, we have clothes for cold days. "Very cold" here is -7 Celsius, depending on who you ask. It rarely gets quite that cold and it's quite rare that we get snow that accumulates on the ground.

On 12/10/2017 at 7:09 PM, rm3000 said:

No photos, but we went from -10 °C/14 °F to 8 °C/46 °F today. Pretty awesome, you could practically watch the thermometer rise.

Send me some of that!

Today we got coldz and colds coming in ... I usually walk down to the metro in the morning to get to work (15 minutes) but yesterday didnt think to bring my hat... SO COLD and you could feel the humidity... I actually hopped onto a bus (hate doing that) and took it the one minute ride down the street :lol:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1vkw19Jq4Yh0Tpt53

:oooo:

gogo

• 1 month later...

Two days ago snow

Yesterday ice rain

Today 112km/h storm at my weather station

Bad combination, because many trees are covered with too much heavy ice in the crowns to withstand the storm.

No school for the young ones, I phoned yesterday and said it would be too much risk to have the school bus driving to the forests. Was informed that even the kids from the city have free.

The good thing will be that there will be a nice sunny afternoon.

• Like! 1
11 minutes ago, chattius said:

Two days ago snow

Yesterday ice rain

Today 112km/h storm at my weather station

Bad combination, because many trees are covered with too much heavy ice in the crowns to withstand the storm.

No school for the young ones, I phoned yesterday and said it would be too much risk to have the school bus driving to the forests. Was informed that even the kids from the city have free.

The good thing will be that there will be a nice sunny afternoon.

I'm hearing you on this deliciously sunny afternoon coming up this weekend... folks, we are be looking around 3 degree weather this saturday...  almost beach time!

Well, not quite...but still...

:drool:

gogo

• 1 month later...

Minus 17 Celcius, sunny and no snow. Deadly for plants and their blossoms. The water on my flooded field is solid frozen and was full of kids playing ice hockey on sunday. Must be that we reached the final at olympics accidently.

3 hours ago, chattius said:

Minus 17 Celcius, sunny and no snow. Deadly for plants and their blossoms. The water on my flooded field is solid frozen and was full of kids playing ice hockey on sunday. Must be that we reached the final at olympics accidently.

Are you kidding me... minus seventeen :) :oooo: 

Its been a few weeks at least since we had rough subzero weather like that Chattius... I do not envy you friend...and even this week here, we're hoping for some sunny four's and fives ... tanning weather I say :4rofl:

I will jelly on for that icehockey though... we have lots of rinks here in MTL...  ice time is precious and always so refreshing

gogo

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Are you kidding me... minus seventeen :):oooo: 

Its been a few weeks at least since we had rough subzero weather like that Chattius... I do not envy you friend...and even this week here, we're hoping for some sunny four's and fives ... tanning weather I say :4rofl:

I will jelly on for that icehockey though... we have lots of rinks here in MTL...  ice time is precious and always so refreshing

gogo

Ponds, fields, river and dams freezing over?!?! what sorcery is that? we don't know things like that to happen in South Africa. In the whole Cape Town and surrounding winelands area, there is only one place that you can go ice skate at...

Weather here has been blistering hot. I am sure you can cook food in the heat of the sun, in the evenings it cools down a bit, but not that much...

Edited by Delta!

Most folk songs about our area contain the words: cold, storm, windy, sun, ...

Singing some of them at a class trip to france made people call the police :(   Not because we sang too loud or to wrong...

Sadly it was used by marching soldiers during the second world war and the old french had bad feelings hearing it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerwald#Westerwaldlied

As most people seemknow it :(

Close to how it should be

I know if you peruse this thread, you'll surely find that I stated several times that Winter is my favorite season...well, used to be...it has now been relegated to 3rd place behind Spring and Autumn.

My love affair with winter started to fade during the end of December/beginning of January. We had 3 weeks straight of sub-freezing weather. It never once even got close to 32°F. And that is very unusual for my area. Oh, we get cold snaps but typically they last only 2-3 days. On top of that we had a nasty storm right after (luckily it was rain) which included a 3 foot storm surge that flooded my road and half my yard. Thankfully it didn't reach my basement but overnight it all froze, freezing my truck to my driveway. Had to wait a couple days for the water to thaw and recede in order to move my truck.

That same storm caused havoc at tower sites. Off Cape they got all snow, 12-24 inches and the wind ripped several antennas and/or coaxes down. Tower sites are usually on top of the highest point in town and most roads are a simple dirt road. Several times we had to get a snow mobile with a sled as the roads were un-plowed and there was no other way to get up to the top. Those were not fun days.

After that we got a break and had no significant weather until this weekend. Again mostly rain for my area but winds have been ridiculous. 24 hours + of minimum 40-60mph winds and have had gusts over 90 mph. Highest I've seen is 94mph (151kph) in my town. There are trees and power poles down all over the place. It usually takes me 10 minutes to get to/from work but last night took me 90 minutes. So many roads were closed, either to fallen poles/trees or were flooded. We also got about 5 inches of rain and coastal flooding was been a major issue. Somehow I haven't lost power yet (fingers crossed).

I was working at at a fire station for most of the day Friday and their phone never stopped ringing. Someone decided to go out on a boardwalk that extends into a marshland (which in turn empties out into the ocean). A person called to say they saw the person  on the boardwalk...looked away for a moment and then couldn't see the person any more. Poor guys were out there in survival suits trying to find him/her for several hours. No idea if they found the person and/or anyone actually fell.

Right now it's still very windy and supposed to stay that way til at least tomorrow. Least my yard didn't flood this time but I am soooooooooo done with Winter right now. Oh and to top everything off my daughter and I have got a very nasty cold/flu we've been dealing with for almost a week....yup done with winter :(

• Like! 1
52 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

I know if you peruse this thread, you'll surely find that I stated several times that Winter is my favorite season...well, used to be...it has now been relegated to 3rd place behind Spring and Autumn.

My love affair with winter started to fade during the end of December/beginning of January. We had 3 weeks straight of sub-freezing weather. It never once even got close to 32°F. And that is very unusual for my area. Oh, we get cold snaps but typically they last only 2-3 days. On top of that we had a nasty storm right after (luckily it was rain) which included a 3 foot storm surge that flooded my road and half my yard. Thankfully it didn't reach my basement but overnight it all froze, freezing my truck to my driveway. Had to wait a couple days for the water to thaw and recede in order to move my truck.

That same storm caused havoc at tower sites. Off Cape they got all snow, 12-24 inches and the wind ripped several antennas and/or coaxes down. Tower sites are usually on top of the highest point in town and most roads are a simple dirt road. Several times we had to get a snow mobile with a sled as the roads were un-plowed and there was no other way to get up to the top. Those were not fun days.

After that we got a break and had no significant weather until this weekend. Again mostly rain for my area but winds have been ridiculous. 24 hours + of minimum 40-60mph winds and have had gusts over 90 mph. Highest I've seen is 94mph (151kph) in my town. There are trees and power poles down all over the place. It usually takes me 10 minutes to get to/from work but last night took me 90 minutes. So many roads were closed, either to fallen poles/trees or were flooded. We also got about 5 inches of rain and coastal flooding was been a major issue. Somehow I haven't lost power yet (fingers crossed).

I was working at at a fire station for most of the day Friday and their phone never stopped ringing. Someone decided to go out on a boardwalk that extends into a marshland (which in turn empties out into the ocean). A person called to say they saw the person  on the boardwalk...looked away for a moment and then couldn't see the person any more. Poor guys were out there in survival suits trying to find him/her for several hours. No idea if they found the person and/or anyone actually fell.

Right now it's still very windy and supposed to stay that way til at least tomorrow. Least my yard didn't flood this time but I am soooooooooo done with Winter right now. Oh and to top everything off my daughter and I have got a very nasty cold/flu we've been dealing with for almost a week....yup done with winter :(

Knuckles, it's great seeing you here after all that horrible weather... Missed your prose!   Horrible how mother nature this year impacted you so negatively.  And your job makes you especially prone and vulnerable to Winter's foibles.  While  most of us here are hunkering down in home bunkers you're out at the top of towers making sure the grid is connected.  

Hoping that you get your good weather soon, and that balmy days make their way to your summer porcch

:gogo:

gogo

Still windy here and 5th day in a row with at least 40 mph winds....Weekend was .......exhausting...simply exhausting...my boss and I were running all over the place assessing damage, trying to fix or at least hook up some temporary services for police/fire/public works etc....I have probably put 1000 miles on my van in the last several days and worked 18-20 hours every day since Thursday...I am soooooo tired lol...And my truck looks like a war zone...will take 2-3 hours just to clean/organize

On top of that we have a 13 site trunking system that covers all of southeastern New England...On Saturday 9 of the 13 sites failed...down to 3 as of today....2 are working but just need internet restored so I can get them back into the system....the last one...well...that might take a while...trying to rent a generator but no luck so far....the generator there blew up...yes, blew up... The power lines leading up to it shorted out and sent a surge down to the generator which wiped out all the controls...somehow the gas tank was punctured/ruptured and it caught on fire and exploded...least that is what we think..no pics yet as my boss went to that site. He said all the poles leading up to tower are down (got to be 10-12 poles) and all transformers are on ground detached from poles....huge mess...luckily it's only a 'fill-in' site so no major interruption in coverage....just some portables may not work well....hopefully we can get it cleared and at least get a generator up there....it's also the main tower for that town's police/fire :o

Probably ordering about 20 new antennas...one place needs a new tower at their office (small 75 footer) as theirs folded in half...and about half a mile of big fat coax for all the jobs...easily 3-4 weeks worth of work...And if that wasn't bad enough...forecast for another Nor'easter Wednesday/Thursday and maybe one around Sunday/Monday.

I sooooo can't wait for Summer (well Spring really), and if Summer decides to throe a hurricane or 2 our way I think I will cry...loudly and painfully...and in full view of the public...I think I'll have a nervous breakdown lol

Wonder if I can get the boss really drunk and talk him into giving me the month of July off? Heck worth a shot :P

• Like! 1

Sounds like a rough winter Knuckles, I think July off would be a great idea. At the very least it sounds like you need to get very, very drunk to forget it all!

I suppose now wouldn't be a good time to mention that I've just come back from relaxing in Vanuatu?

• Like! 1