What's the weather like over there?

On 3/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, Dragon Brother said:

I suppose now wouldn't be a good time to mention that I've just come back from relaxing in Vanuatu?

wow, DB, that's such a SICK fantasy island place... I was so into gloriously idolizing about far, tucked away lands Id wanted to visit and saw Vanuatu as being nothing short of paradise.. was the pricing decent? Vacation or work? Any good beaches or pix?

:sun:

gogo

On 3/5/2018 at 8:02 PM, Dragon Brother said:

Sounds like a rough winter Knuckles, I think July off would be a great idea. At the very least it sounds like you need to get very, very drunk to forget it all!

I suppose now wouldn't be a good time to mention that I've just come back from relaxing in Vanuatu?

Good thing you mentioned this after the fact...or else I would have found some way to make Altered Carbon a reality and taken your sleeve :P

Here? Oh just another Nor'easter with 60 mph winds and 12-18 inches of snow...ho hum lol :)

Last one just left area Monday....would be nice to at least have 7-10 days in between....just please no more tower damage from this one...pretty please

On 3/7/2018 at 10:18 PM, gogoblender said:

wow, DB, that's such a SICK fantasy island place... I was so into gloriously idolizing about far, tucked away lands Id wanted to visit and saw Vanuatu as being nothing short of paradise.. was the pricing decent? Vacation or work? Any good beaches or pix?

:sun:

gogo

Definitely a vacation! Yeah, was amazingly relaxing and chill. I've got some pictures on my phone I can upload when I get a minute, a lot of them look like they're from a postcard. And it actually was pretty cheap, we got a pretty sweet deal for the room (beachfront villa with private plunge pool ;)) which came with a bunch of meals, massages, etc. so very happy with what we ended up paying. The beach out the front was quite rocky though so not too good for swimming, but the plunge pool and resort pool made up for that.

On 3/8/2018 at 8:57 AM, Knuckles said:

Good thing you mentioned this after the fact...or else I would have found some way to make Altered Carbon a reality and taken your sleeve :P

Here? Oh just another Nor'easter with 60 mph winds and 12-18 inches of snow...ho hum lol :)

Last one just left area Monday....would be nice to at least have 7-10 days in between....just please no more tower damage from this one...pretty please

Haha very lucky, time for a holiday for Knuckles methinks!

Sounds fun... Hopefully there's not been any (or too much) inclement weather since.

• Like! 1

Well we're getting our 3rd Nor'easter within 10 days on Monday/Tuesday...they haven't issued any forecast for snow amounts or winds yet. The last storm (Thursday) toppled a lot of trees and there were hundreds of power outages but amazingly we had only one call for no comms.

That one kind of ticked me off. The state police called us and said one their sites was down, so I go all the way up there and all the door codes I have don't work. So I call them up and was told I do not have clearance to know the code because I am not on their 'Access List'. So I had to wait for a 'properly cleared' person to come up and open door. He wasn't too happy about being called in on his off-time so he immediately gave me the code and also said it'll work for any state police site :)

• Like! 1

Ugh that just sounds like a bunch of bureaucracy getting in the way of common sense! At least the other bloke was useful, but I'm sure having to sit around twiddling your thumbs was a wonderful use of your time... (note - read the last point with high levels of sarcasm!)

I guess they are trying to restrict who knows the new codes (which I didn't even know about). Been a lot of theft lately. Anything with copper in it has been routinely stolen. Unfortunately it usually means all the grounding. They're at least smart enough not to cut into all the coax/heliax/waveguide (that would generate alarms at many places for lost comms). But being the tallest thing in town isn't good during lightning storms without proper grounding.

But you would think my company would have been on the approved list...or at least been given notice that we need to be on it. Sure it would mean going through some thoroughly useless course on security. But, hey, we only take care of most of your tower sites...so no biggie :P

Oh boy....just saw the updated forecast for tonight/tomorrow...

Predicting 1 to 2 feet of snow with 50-60mph winds....kind of surprised we're not under a Blizzard Warning...Luckily astronomical tides will be low and winds in wrong direction, so little to no flooding/erosion expected...still trying to cleanup/restore power (and for us comms) from last 2 storms. Town next to me had a dozen beach homes condemned due to erosion from last 2...Spring cannot get here fast enough :(

If I could I would send you some of our overbearing heat... you have a blizzard and cold front? we have a drought and a heat wave...

5 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Oh boy....just saw the updated forecast for tonight/tomorrow...

Predicting 1 to 2 feet of snow with 50-60mph winds....kind of surprised we're not under a Blizzard Warning...Luckily astronomical tides will be low and winds in wrong direction, so little to no flooding/erosion expected...still trying to cleanup/restore power (and for us comms) from last 2 storms. Town next to me had a dozen beach homes condemned due to erosion from last 2...Spring cannot get here fast enough :(

I'm in ny. I hope this isn't a shared weather system. I'm so done with winter on long island. I hate snow

• Like! 1

Y'all could move here to east Texas where the high will be 62 degrees Fahrenheit (17 Celsius) today and it's mostly sunny with winds winds from the north at 8 MPH (12.8 KPH).

• Haha 1

I know most if not all of Long Island is under a storm warning, though NYC is just an advisory.....and we now have been upped to Blizzard Warning here....I'm with you Veracious, I am soooooo done with winter

• Like! 1
7 hours ago, Delta! said:

If I could I would send you some of our overbearing heat... you have a blizzard and cold front? we have a drought and a heat wave...

Heard abou that drought, Theuns... 

Is water being bought every where now?

:)

gogo

7 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Y'all could move here to east Texas where the high will be 62 degrees Fahrenheit (17 Celsius) today and it's mostly sunny with winds winds from the north at 8 MPH (12.8 KPH).

Not so sure a yankee new yorker would be welcome in Texas lol. 

Edited by Veracious
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Heard abou that drought, Theuns... 

Is water being bought every where now?

gogo

you can buy water in any grocery store or department store anyway... some people have gone crazy and started buying up water a year ago and stockpiling it... we don't really have space to stockpile a water supply.

The Cape Town Municipality has started getting desalination plants up and going. taking salty ocean water and cleaning it so it becomes fit for human consumption... but so far news papers and Armageddon predictors are saying it won't be enough to reverse the situation... only delay d-day...

In Franschhoek, we are very conscious of our water consumption, and don't waste water. we are on a different water line, but they can open our line up to Cape Town, and then the pawpaw will hit the fan... but with our undependable power supply, the fan might even not be working....(the power has been more stable in the past year... but everyone is trying to unplug and switch off everything if not in use.)

Edited by Delta!

Holey Moley did *forum edit* hit the fan here. Lost power for a little over 24 hours and to be honest I'm surprised I have it back on so fast. It was an extremely wet and heavy snow that instantly bonded to any wires or trees it hit. There are wires/trees/poles down all over the place. At one point power was lost to over 90% of the Cape with several towns having 100% loss. My town got as high as 92% (48% now).

I live on a dead end street with several summer-only homes so I knew I would be at the bottom of any list. But thankfully the downed trees didn't hit any wires so once the main feed to the street was restored I got my power back. But I would say at least 50% are without power on the Cape. Basically got the day off though....no power at shop and we're sure none of the tower sites are accessible right now. Officially we got 17 inches here though it is soooo hard to tell. In some places there is more snow on the sides of trees or poles than on the ground right next to them. Had wind gusts up to 70mph.

The main 'city' on the Cape is Hyannis (town next to mine) and it looks like a war zone. Just soooo many poles/wires/trees down. Most of downtown is without power. My daughter and I went out looking for a place to grab lunch and found only one place open after an hour of looking. The line was out the door, but since we wasted an hour looking we figured another 30 minutes wasn't a big deal

Oh man...I know it seems like I'm complaining about the weather here every other day.....mostly because I am on here complaining every other day :D Now they're talking about another Nor'easter on Tuesday...or 4 major storms  in a 17 day stretch...I mean enough is enough. Definitely been a weird season. From the 2-3 week long cold snap in Dec/Jan (and barely any snow) to March Madness with all these Nor'easters.

Least with Spring we'll get a break....too early for any tropical storm and tornadoes are very very rare here....not worried about rain...I can deal with rain any day.

• Like! 1

yeekks... go away winter...

6 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Holey Moley did *forum edit* hit the fan here. Lost power for a little over 24 hours and to be honest I'm surprised I have it back on so fast. It was an extremely wet and heavy snow that instantly bonded to any wires or trees it hit. There are wires/trees/poles down all over the place. At one point power was lost to over 90% of the Cape with several towns having 100% loss. My town got as high as 92% (48% now).

I live on a dead end street with several summer-only homes so I knew I would be at the bottom of any list. But thankfully the downed trees didn't hit any wires so once the main feed to the street was restored I got my power back. But I would say at least 50% are without power on the Cape. Basically got the day off though....no power at shop and we're sure none of the tower sites are accessible right now. Officially we got 17 inches here though it is soooo hard to tell. In some places there is more snow on the sides of trees or poles than on the ground right next to them. Had wind gusts up to 70mph.

The main 'city' on the Cape is Hyannis (town next to mine) and it looks like a war zone. Just soooo many poles/wires/trees down. Most of downtown is without power. My daughter and I went out looking for a place to grab lunch and found only one place open after an hour of looking. The line was out the door, but since we wasted an hour looking we figured another 30 minutes wasn't a big deal

its always terrifying how much damage a storm can do 

:blink:

gogo

It was a blizard when I left in the morning but as the day progressed it got better, still a white white world... boy cant wait till hot summer days are here

gogo

-12C, 70km/h storm, snow in the air and our cold blood horse decided to have her foal in the night of Saturday to Sunday... Youngest daughter named her 'Hrina', Islandic (?) for a blow of ice and wind

• Like! 1