What's the weather like over there?

Weather her can't really make up its mind. Where our summers are usually hot, and relatively dry, we have had quite a few days of rain and cloudy cold overcast days. Followed by a lovely hot day with sunshine.:gogo:

Not to be racist, but we have criminals that are pretty much animals... They kill white farmers, just because of their skin colour and the xenophobia reached a new high a few months ago when Nigerians and Zimbabweans where burned alive because they had suspicions of selling drugs about them...

I know the stories, Delta! and the videos. Apartheit is reversed, dreams are gone. With Mandela´s death the downfall began. SA faces an uncertain future. It´s sad that the people do not recognize, that they are getting played and heated up by the corrupt government. China is the big player and winner in the background.

• 1 month later...

Yesterday we drove half an hour to Willingen to watch Ski Jumping. Was a nice experience for the twins, their first time live sport watching in a big big crowd. Even better that it was the very first time their local idol Stefan Lehye was winning a world cup jumping. Very loud, good atmoshere and fans from several countries.

However the jumping for today was cancelled because of savety reasons. Storm with 100km/h in the flat lands approaching with wind speeds reaching 170km/h on hill tops. Luckily our old patchwork house is build into the hill and old oak trees giving some shelter too. Mounted the savety cage on the unimog just in case I have to remove trunks and branches from the road to our house.

Hope there are not too many emergency calls for firefighters or docs.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-braces-for-storm-sabine-transport-delays/a-52308204

6 hours ago, chattius said:

Yesterday we drove half an hour to Willingen to watch Ski Jumping. Was a nice experience for the twins, their first time live sport watching in a big big crowd. Even better that it was the very first time their local idol Stefan Lehye was winning a world cup jumping. Very loud, good atmoshere and fans from several countries.

However the jumping for today was cancelled because of savety reasons. Storm with 100km/h in the flat lands approaching with wind speeds reaching 170km/h on hill tops. Luckily our old patchwork house is build into the hill and old oak trees giving some shelter too. Mounted the savety cage on the unimog just in case I have to remove trunks and branches from the road to our house.

Hope there are not too many emergency calls for firefighters or docs.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-braces-for-storm-sabine-transport-delays/a-52308204

So much action!!

Love this post...your family is so active, Chattius... I used to ski downhill for about 15 years with my friends... was great fun, but soooooo cold sometimes :lol:  I've seen ski jumping a few times as well at the Laurentian mountains about an hour from us..its thrilling when yer up close

I can relate to so much snow...here's yestedays weather on our streeet

IMG_1351.jpg

:oooo:

gogo

16 hours ago, gogoblender said:

So much action!!

Love this post...your family is so active, Chattius...

Well... Kids in towns have a bus few hundreds metres away to drive to friends, mall, cinema, ...

Here we have no bus at sundays, 3 buses (not bus lines) on saturdays and at workdays the bus runs every 2 hours. Add that town kids are at home less than 20 minutes after school is out. Our kids loose 140 minutes in average in bus each day. Homework is same so less spare time. Learning in bus is possible, but no writing, painting, internet research, group work...

So we try to compensate this.

I love the activity in the winter.  IT's around minus 23 to 29 last few days... im dying to get down to my moms for early vacation next week...she's got 8 degrees... shorts weather?

Heck yah!

:)

gogo

We have close to minus twenty here today with it wavering up and down but always to the more evil end... looking forwards to some "fair" weather when i get  down to the states...

image.png

gogo

We have had quite a lot of warm days, high 20's to mid 30's.for the past couple of weeks. Today it is windy and a bit overcast 

Hope you don't freeze there

• 2 weeks later...

grey, cold, wet...if there's a way to characterize mondays as being hte most unpopular day of the week in colors...this is it folks :lol:  I miss that warm weather back in the states...but cool thing is I'm on real vacation week coming up with the family in Mexico...can hardly wait...must... keep...working...

And if you're looking for some inspiration to get going this sleepy day...here's a message from my Ammamma who i saw two days ago... in her 96 years she still has her quotes

"To the last drop!"

image.png

:4rofl:

gogo

Einstein: God does not play dice with the universe,

Daughter: But with the weather.

Rainy, snowy, stormy, calm, sunny every hour another weather it seems.

I remember the birthday parties of my grandgrandma when I was a kid: big family meetings. Now my mom is a grandgrandma too a and hopefully her birthday in a month is not affected by this corona virus thing.

• Like! 1
21 hours ago, chattius said:

Einstein: God does not play dice with the universe,

Daughter: But with the weather.

Rainy, snowy, stormy, calm, sunny every hour another weather it seems.

I remember the birthday parties of my grandgrandma when I was a kid: big family meetings. Now my mom is a grandgrandma too a and hopefully her birthday in a month is not affected by this corona virus thing.

Here’s to a beautiful happy birthday for your momma🥳

and e got lots of rain and snow ... and slush .... stuff that gets into tie shoes and socks and pant hem

😊

gogo

Slush, ....

Canadian slush is a joke compared to slush from big German towns. They try to remove snow with mineral and salt mixes. If it is too cold or too much snow the mixes don't work and the slush is more a chemical than half frozen water.

My niece lives in a big town. When we had young Leonberger cubs I asked her if she wants one. She said: No no, I can't carry a Leonberger.

At her place it is normal to carry a dog till reaching a place without chemical refined slush.

71-4951293-jpg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Alle things considered... At least the weather's nice! :gogo:

hah... lucky everyone...

snow storm yesterday here...

but today.. sun, melting and a blue blue sky

:D

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Relaxing, laying in the gras and watching the first swallows in the sky and our oldest took her guitar and sung a 200 years old german kids song. Alle Vögel sing schon da / All the birds are already here...

It's a happy song and I found an english cover which has some of the nowadays much needed happiness in it.

Must be an old song because blackbirds don't fly to the south in winters anymore, they stay.

• Like! 1

Yah, Chattius were having some great weather here... at least precipitation wise... Clear skies, puffy clouds...but some COLD weather :4rofl: ... I think a few days ago it was even minus two... and were holding out tween four degrees to six...makes a Quarantine walk around the block an activity that takes up wrapping a scarf around the neck with the cold wind that comes with this... but I can feel winter slowly ebbing...

Summer is Coming!

:viking:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

We had polar winds and clear nights: night frost below freezing point. Bad for plants and a Baumfalke.

Our twins reported an injured falcon close to the fish ponds. When looking it turned out as a Baumfalke (tree falcon). The other german falcons breed in rocks, castle walls and such. The Baumfalke uses old nests from crows and magpies in trees. Its English name is Eurasian Hobby. A small falcon with long wings. It catches large insects (dragonflies) and small birds in flight normally. I think our falcon found no insects because of the frost. Small birds were searching cover in hedges because of the cold. So he was starving because he was a young one from last summer without much experience.

Yesterday we were feeding mealworms to make him stronger. Today he is taking them from the glove and we moved him into the old machine hall. We will try if he can walk and pick the worms tomorrow morning. If yes we will release him and place a fodder station outside for the next days. If not we will give him to a falconer.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

It was that perfect day of summer last night.. i was walking down the mountain towards my place and all of a sudden a huge red flare down the street... the sun was setting! Apparently my road and some of the other roads on this side of the mountain are the best in montreal for watching sunsets...heres a quick from last night...   i really feel like trying to make  an effort to catch it... lol but its summer and it happens so late :lol:

101174574_1333657416822719_9031165554504761344_n.jpg

:gogo:

gogo

We have luckily clouded and rainy weather. The ground is still way too try, so I say luckily.

For sunsets or moon fotos: try this app:

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

It calculates when the sun/moon are at certain positions. You hold your phone so that it gets the scene. Then the app calculates with the GPS-data amd the 3D orientation of the phone if the moon /sun could be in the frame and when if. When the App say the moon is at the right position in 4 month at 4am you have a hard decision; sleep or foto ;)

This one was easy, the app said the sun would lighten the front of the houses around 7pm with a striping light along the street. So I did this bad one with my old digital while my daughter used a tri-pod and a 6*9cm analog camera. With just 6 shots on a roll. One of the 6 was perfect in her eyes. Persons walking at the right position and such. I did just this one and then I walked out of the way. The picture from my daughter looks as if the lamp lightens the houses but in reality it was the setting late summer sun.

Jerusalemhaus at my birthtown Wetzlar. Jerusalem commited suicide in the double house. He was a friend of Goethe. Goethe wrote 'The Sorrows of Young Werther" because of the suicide.

J-Haus-4911.JPG

• Like! 1
On 6/5/2020 at 3:43 PM, chattius said:

We have luckily clouded and rainy weather. The ground is still way too try, so I say luckily.

For sunsets or moon fotos: try this app:

https://www.photoephemeris.com/

It calculates when the sun/moon are at certain positions. You hold your phone so that it gets the scene. Then the app calculates with the GPS-data amd the 3D orientation of the phone if the moon /sun could be in the frame and when if. When the App say the moon is at the right position in 4 month at 4am you have a hard decision; sleep or foto ;)

This one was easy, the app said the sun would lighten the front of the houses around 7pm with a striping light along the street. So I did this bad one with my old digital while my daughter used a tri-pod and a 6*9cm analog camera. With just 6 shots on a roll. One of the 6 was perfect in her eyes. Persons walking at the right position and such. I did just this one and then I walked out of the way. The picture from my daughter looks as if the lamp lightens the houses but in reality it was the setting late summer sun.

Jerusalemhaus at my birthtown Wetzlar. Jerusalem commited suicide in the double house. He was a friend of Goethe. Goethe wrote 'The Sorrows of Young Werther" because of the suicide.

J-Haus-4911.JPG

Brilliant! that style still remains one of my absolute favorites... we have some buildings across the street and they sort of emulate it

gogo