What's the weather like over there?

8 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Here in East Texas where I live the ice and snow storm was so severe that it knocked out the power and water for tens of thousands for nearly a week now. My home is still without electricity and has been since last Tuesday morning. I’m only able to post here with my cell phone, it having been charged by my car’s battery. I’m fine, but it was a bit rough when the temperature at night was only 8 degrees Fahrenheit and there was no way to heat my home, as it has no fireplace. I just wanted to check in, y’all.

:hooyaah:

5 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Update: Power restored! Finally, I was able to take a shower and get warm. I had a powerful generator, but there was no gasoline available at retailers because of people buying what they could. The grocery stores had empty shelves to boot. Overall, it wasn't as bad as a bivouac during a Saskatoon winter. :JC-tumbleweed:

wow, Steve... Just seeing this now and the realization of you living there has just hit me! I cant believe the kind of work you had to do to keep yourself alive.  I'm actually now looking at the news for Texas... so many impacted and died from the cold... Its not often that members here are in such a state of geographic hit but so happy you have come , shared and posted... and now I read that your power is back on :hugs:  This kind of reminds me of that famous Quebec Ice Storm...I was out of country during that month...but power was knocked out here for weeks during the deadliest ice storm on record and loads of residents had to be moved to emergency shelters.

Thank god for you car battery and resourcefulness!
:superman:

gogo

20161023_105141_resized.jpg?w=840

Bought something like this (but european frequencies and in blue) for our oldest when she did her practical year in forest economics mainly camping through europe. But smartphones need such much power that sending a 15second emergency call needs 1 minute turning the crank. But her emergency phone was minimal, just 10 digits LED for the number

Some people are creative.Too bad that you can't search for it without power :(

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

• Like! 1

We've been having some great weather last few days... about - 12 to -14 .. I feel like I "pwn" winter now as I bought the BEST winter mitts ever for the coldest days and now am warm and toasty!

63527778277__17116A5A-ED17-47AD-84E6-C53FC590EE34.jpg

IMG_7215.jpg

:)

gogo

Our weather changed from -16C nights with ice rain at day to 18Cdays in just half a week. It is terrible for plants because they build blossoms already and the next frost will destroy them.

• zomgod! 1

We have a wonderful HOT summer. I am very happy, but my Fiance is hating every second of it, and he makes sure everyone knows how unhappy he is. 

Glad you have power again Steve!

• Appreciation 1
4 hours ago, Delta! said:

We have a wonderful HOT summer. I am very happy, but my Fiance is hating every second of it, and he makes sure everyone knows how unhappy he is. 

Glad you have power again Steve!

Yah Steve... I been reading about the power outages...  dont let them charge you villinaously for the power ! :viking:

alas your SO... awwww  ... time to bake sugar pies! :superman: 

:gogo:

gogo

I love to speed walk up this hill beside my house up and around for a quick block radius... the incline feels wonderful on the leg muscles and if I do this just before curfew 20 00  I can get that burst of freshness before having to settling in and watch the Mandalorion :superman:

check out this moon

IMG_7698.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We had a whole 7 degrees! (around 45 for our american friends?)  yesterday...and for a while it was beginning to feel like winter was never gonna loosen up and the effect of curfew upon the soul was getting tighter.

They have just released curfew from 8 to 9 30 and it feels like we can "breathe" again... to the mountain !

:dance2:

gogo

2 hours ago, chattius said:

Nights -7C, heavy storm

On the way to work 2 villages away. 3 following years of drought, spruces were ill and had to be chopped (background). With open holes in the forest the storm could get in and leaf trees along a dam fell. Yes, shortest way to work for me is to use a cross-country bike. Have to use a different route for this week I guess.

Luckily we have a mixed forest and each walk with the dog I look for ill trees to react before it is too late. Also I made my forest roads as Steiner-tree: 120 degree crossing and not 90 degree. The ratio between forest and roads is better and no long roads where a storm can accelerate.

Windbruch.JPG

Normally a forest is divided in parcelles where the roads to reach the 4 wood collecting points are blue and build 90 degree crossings. The shortest way however is the red one, less road length to be build and shorter lines where the wind can accelerate. Effect is even worse if you have to connect 20 points and more. Very long blue roads compared to many but shorter reds. I started with rebuilding the roads since we moved to the place of my grandpa. Two thirds of the roads are new and on the old one a mix of trees was planted. No monoculture.

1920px-Spanning_tree_and_Steiner_tree.sv

excellent post! i love how the math and geometry figger into the "w00destry" of your job.  Only wish it was a little warm day for you guys... holee molee still -7 :eek: 

And... it looks like we're in line for a run of great days here in MTL...  was 13 yesterday and looks like it could hit 15 today!
:sun:

gogo

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

excellent post! I love how the math and geometry figger into the "w00destry" of your job.  Only wish it was a little warm day for you guys... holee molee still -7 :eek: 

And... it looks like we're in line for a run of great days here in MTL...  was 13 yesterday and looks like it could hit 15 today!
:sun:

gogo

Actually frozen ground is better to move trunks than morast. This must be the only positive to say about heavy nightfrosts.

• Like! 1

Yesterday afternoon we got a heavy storm with ice rain and snow. Snowing whole night, 7 cm snow in morning. Now the sun is shining bright and the snow is melding quickly. Hope not to quick because the rivelet in the neighbour village is flooding very quickly.

• zomgod! 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

Yesterday afternoon we got a heavy storm with ice rain and snow. Snowing whole night, 7 cm snow in morning. Now the sun is shining bright and the snow is melding quickly. Hope not to quick because the rivelet in the neighbour village is flooding very quickly.

yeeks!

im trying my best to ward away snow... noooooooooooo .. mooooooooooooooore

:oooo:

gogo

3 nights with snow, a bit melted away the first night but the rest is still on the ground.

Aprilwetter, april weather

Old saying:

April macht was er will    ---   April is doing whatever it likes

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, chattius said:

3 nights with snow, a bit melted away the first night but the rest is still on the ground.

Aprilwetter, april weather

Old saying:

April macht was er will    ---   April is doing whatever it likes

ha, i getcha! its been pretty up and down for us here as well... around zero to then 14 ...but today is bright, and gonna be warm when i get out of work!

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Dang it coooooooooooooooold outside! Zero degrees and I can hear the wind howling :oooo:
sweat pants, feather liner and outer, hat and scarf gloves, new sneakers... here we to... happy monday everyone   to the top!!

:D

IMG_0868.jpg

:gogo:

gogo

freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezing this morning!! but made it back safely .. and a new route near the cemetary... flat, easier on the knees...  hoping we get some warmer weather this afternoon

IMG_0869.jpgIMG_0875.jpgIMG_0872.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Our second and her friend drove with the Unimog to his parents. Their house got flooded, rivelet was 8,30metres instead 80centimetres. They took 3 of our heavy pumps and professional chainsawswith them. Can't go myself because we are still in high readiness.

The storm missed us by 30miles luckily but isn't over yet.

• Like! 1
10 hours ago, chattius said:

Our second and her friend drove with the Unimog to his parents. Their house got flooded, rivelet was 8,30metres instead 80centimetres. They took 3 of our heavy pumps and professional chainsawswith them. Can't go myself because we are still in high readiness.

The storm missed us by 30miles luckily but isn't over yet.

wow! serious storm! we also have a huge tornado that touched down not in my province but neighboring, Ontario... and its tore through neighbor hoods... apparently it hit in a section of ontario called "Tornado Alley" 

:blink:

gogo