What's the weather like over there?

Tornado's are rare here. The main problem are heavy storms with rain clouds trapped for days over an area. North America has no real mountains going from west to east, so cold air can get all the way down from the northpole to Mexico which may result in snowstorms far in the south.

Europe has these mountains, but often when rainclouds come from the southwest they work like a cloud trap. And it affects big areas, from the alpes to the netherlands this time.

Our second and her friend are still busy with cleanup. She asked if we could take one tent more for our summercamp to fill it with kids from the affected area. Said yes, the field kitchen, medical care, the place and the tent(s) are no problem. But I need the okay from my insurance company. It will be probably relatives of the family of my daughter's boyfriend and some neighbour kids. The pictures she is sending are shocking. The cleanup will be easier for the people if they wouldn't have to care for their kids for a few weeks in the summerbreaks.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I usually ask Google in the morning the weather outside before I decide what to put on to run outside

two days ago, the convo went something like this:

"Hey google, weather!'

"It's smokey and hot:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

:oooo:

gogo

On 7/19/2021 at 4:16 AM, chattius said:

Tornado's are rare here. The main problem are heavy storms with rain clouds trapped for days over an area. North America has no real mountains going from west to east, so cold air can get all the way down from the northpole to Mexico which may result in snowstorms far in the south.

Europe has these mountains, but often when rainclouds come from the southwest they work like a cloud trap. And it affects big areas, from the alpes to the netherlands this time.

Our second and her friend are still busy with cleanup. She asked if we could take one tent more for our summercamp to fill it with kids from the affected area. Said yes, the field kitchen, medical care, the place and the tent(s) are no problem. But I need the okay from my insurance company. It will be probably relatives of the family of my daughter's boyfriend and some neighbour kids. The pictures she is sending are shocking. The cleanup will be easier for the people if they wouldn't have to care for their kids for a few weeks in the summerbreaks.

hahah, horde of kids... what a mixed blessing...

still though, all the laughter...

its a pretty miracle

:)

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

After 3 years of not enough water I am lucky that it is raining for days - seeing all these fires in southern Europe.

The kids from the flood area move home today because they have an earlier school start in their state.

Also our AuPair left after the one year she was here.

So lots and lots of goodbyes.

Did I say tornados are rare here some posts ago, seems northern Germany was hit by a few.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Its August, and you can feel that cold just nipping around the edges of some awesome sweltering hot days.. I've just begun to fall in love with hot days this year...I evade most of the heat by running early in the morning  and spend most of my day working in air con at home... but this summer's been terriific and i've gotten to hook with so much family!

20210901_092140.jpg20210901_100413.jpg

• 1 month later...

344163227_strmig.jpg.f602a956a3fbde6ce60ca3c6c14898cd.jpg

The storm front (red) in Germany moved towards eastern Germany. Some small twigs and leaves on the road but no fallen trees. We chopped all trees which we considered unsave along the road to the house in summer.  First of the typical autumn storms here. Our house was on the save side of the hill. Ancestors knew 250+ years ago where to build a house and where not :)

Sadly neighbour village has some houses with damaged roofs

Was a bit frightening from 3am to 9am when the wind was howling and it seems our AuPair was not used to storms in Germany which have names, this one Hendrik. Nearly every local song is about the cold and the storms. Sadly Nazi soldiers liked the songs and so they used to be deleted by Youtube filters.

In a time before Nazi's and before railroad and busses people had to walk to another village which had a dance meeting. Marching to this dance event in groups was with singing, because the dance events were in a time of the year when harvest was done and the stormy season was at the door.

Oh du schöner Westerwald is a march. The singing has breaks when just the instruments are heared. However marching without instruments these breaks are filled with short shouts of funny words. Eucalyptus Candy is the most common one because it helps the throat atcold storms.

• Like! 1
On 10/21/2021 at 7:49 AM, chattius said:

344163227_strmig.jpg.f602a956a3fbde6ce60ca3c6c14898cd.jpg

The storm front (red) in Germany moved towards eastern Germany. Some small twigs and leaves on the road but no fallen trees. We chopped all trees which we considered unsave along the road to the house in summer.  First of the typical autumn storms here. Our house was on the save side of the hill. Ancestors knew 250+ years ago where to build a house and where not :)

Sadly neighbour village has some houses with damaged roofs

Was a bit frightening from 3am to 9am when the wind was howling and it seems our AuPair was not used to storms in Germany which have names, this one Hendrik. Nearly every local song is about the cold and the storms. Sadly Nazi soldiers liked the songs and so they used to be deleted by Youtube filters.

In a time before Nazi's and before railroad and busses people had to walk to another village which had a dance meeting. Marching to this dance event in groups was with singing, because the dance events were in a time of the year when harvest was done and the stormy season was at the door.

Oh du schöner Westerwald is a march. The singing has breaks when just the instruments are heared. However marching without instruments these breaks are filled with short shouts of funny words. Eucalyptus Candy is the most common one because it helps the throat atcold storms.

This is a great story to wake up to and read over my saturday early morning coffee.  Interesting how you have storms named, I guess locally ?, Here  we only have one storm that everyone remembers... 

The Ice Storm 1998

0309_outages-1000x642.jpg

Ice.jpg

took out our grid for weeks, and forced evacuations  all over the province as power could not be restored for weeks 

:oooo:

gogo

ps 

I was in Australia during that time :O

Your pictures are quite like the ones from 1979 in Germany. My older sister just did the driving license and was visiting an uncle near Kiel. No cellular phones then and it took her half an day to phone us. Government was sending the army with Leopard pioneer tanks to reach people trapped on Autobahns for days. They called it Jahrhundertwinter (once in a century winter).

Die-Bundeswehr-raeumte-im-Jahr-1979-mit-

The big storms, Orkane, are named. The word Orkan is related to the word Hurrican. So these Orkane have names. Kyrill was the last famous and disastrious. Our barn was full with 2 families who had damaged houses. 3 Weeks with not much sleep till we got stuff under control again at firefighters. My little sister was trapped in Berlin railroad station because no trains running. She slept in a railway waggon which was opened and heated when it was obvious that most people couldn't leave the station.

So when our niece was born that day I was busy with motorsaws, my little sister trapped in a waggon,oldest sister was in Portugal and flights cancelled, my brother could leave disaster help for two hours when his daughter was born and had to return to disaster relief ASAP again. Was a day we will never forget. Luckily it was a girl, my brother said Kyrill would habe probably been the second prename if a boy.

When I was born my babtism was after 3 month  when people had time to free the church from snow. It was build as a fortified castle church in 12th century. Nice to defend but nasty to free from snow because it is top of a steep hill. But record books say that this was only a local phenomen.

Look at the map, this is a real Orkan. Kyrill  covered most of Europe.This was a real big one with 225km/h top speeds. At our area it were 178. It was rotating anti-clockwise, so when it reached the North Sea the sea was pushed Themse upwards in UK and into the German bay at the other side. It came together with high tide and rivers had lot of water from rain.

1024px-STMeurope018_MO.jpg

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Your pictures are quite like the ones from 1979 in Germany. My older sister just did the driving license and was visiting an uncle near Kiel. No cellular phones then and it took her half an day to phone us. Government was sending the army with Leopard pioneer tanks to reach people trapped on Autobahns for days. They called it Jahrhundertwinter (once in a century winter).

Die-Bundeswehr-raeumte-im-Jahr-1979-mit-

The big storms, Orkane, are named. The word Orkan is related to the word Hurrican. So these Orkane have names. Kyrill was the last famous and disastrious. Our barn was full with 2 families who had damaged houses. 3 Weeks with not much sleep till we got stuff under control again at firefighters. My little sister was trapped in Berlin railroad station because no trains running. She slept in a railway waggon which was opened and heated when it was obvious that most people couldn't leave the station.

So when our niece was born that day I was busy with motorsaws, my little sister trapped in a waggon,oldest sister was in Portugal and flights cancelled, my brother could leave disaster help for two hours when his daughter was born and had to return to disaster relief ASAP again. Was a day we will never forget. Luckily it was a girl, my brother said Kyrill would habe probably been the second prename if a boy.

When I was born my babtism was after 3 month  when people had time to free the church from snow. It was build as a fortified castle church in 12th century. Nice to defend but nasty to free from snow because it is top of a steep hill. But record books say that this was only a local phenomen.

Look at the map, this is a real Orkan. Kyrill  covered most of Europe.This was a real big one with 225km/h top speeds. At our area it were 178. It was rotating anti-clockwise, so when it reached the North Sea the sea was pushed Themse upwards in UK and into the German bay at the other side. It came together with high tide and rivers had lot of water from rain.

1024px-STMeurope018_MO.jpg

First, love that word, orcane, very ominous sounding.  And second... that a single "storm" can have such catastrophic effects..makes me think of modern horror end of the world movies .

:eek:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

were getting some nice crispy fall weather here in the city.  I realize when I actually take a phone out with me in early morning runs how lucky we are to be so close to a trail/run/cemetary/park thats kept so clean and that allows us tremendous recreational use for... free!

some early morning brisk/walk snaps yesterday, taking a day off from the running to rest the knees and enjoying our terrific foliage season here in Montreal

IMG_5502.jpgIMG_5499.jpg

Typical weather: fog till 11am, then 30 minutes rain storm, then 3 hours sun, then sun with heavy storm, now it gets cloudy again, ...

And 2 car crashes because people were too fast at heavy sun with storm. The yet wet leaves were blown to big heaves at some places after wind blocked curves. People drove as fast as normal and were surprised to find the car skating on wet leave layers. Luckily all we had to do was to dice who had to drive to the place with an Unimog to pull the car out of the trench.

• zomgod! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Our Au-Pair saw the first real snow in her live she said. Luckily she fits into the outgrown winter gear and skies of our third to learn some cross country skiing. So while the girls are out of house it is on me and my son to do some lunch: Datschert, Potthucke, Dippellappes, Dibbekuche, .., it has many slang names, varying often from village to village.

Recipe below is for a small household. We do BIG round cast iron pans and roast fatback cubes in them so that the potato mass won't stick. It is served with selfmade black bread and Rübenkraut (when sugar beets are made into sugar crystals, this is the second last step. Brown liquid which can be used like maple sirip).

Recipe for four (rather two when they come back from skiing) persons:

https://foodal.com/recipes/comfort-food/potthucke-a-traditional-german-potato-cake/

Potthucke-Pin-2-447x1024.jpg

• Appreciation 1
On 11/28/2021 at 5:22 AM, chattius said:

Our Au-Pair saw the first real snow in her live she said. Luckily she fits into the outgrown winter gear and skies of our third to learn some cross country skiing. So while the girls are out of house it is on me and my son to do some lunch: Datschert, Potthucke, Dippellappes, Dibbekuche, .., it has many slang names, varying often from village to village.

Recipe below is for a small household. We do BIG round cast iron pans and roast fatback cubes in them so that the potato mass won't stick. It is served with selfmade black bread and Rübenkraut (when sugar beets are made into sugar crystals, this is the second last step. Brown liquid which can be used like maple sirip).

Recipe for four (rather two when they come back from skiing) persons:

https://foodal.com/recipes/comfort-food/potthucke-a-traditional-german-potato-cake/

Potthucke-Pin-2-447x1024.jpg

I love the word Potthucke... thats def gonna be taken for some marketing campaign somewhere :lol: and happy she got to see first snow! I never got tired or seeing it as a kid, and still dont know

gogo

Went for a quick run outside yesterday before work, ooooh cold AND dark... this me fully kitted out before a usual 4 to 5 k, check out the natty lighting gear to keep stray vampires from the path at 5 45 am  

IMG_5940.jpg

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

We got plus two degrees here today!

and decided not to just take day off and watch netflix but try out some different pants and see how little I can wear while cutting out wind chill...which cuts to the bone in the mornings here when I get out the door.  These are some REALLY old pataonia ski pants I used to wear year and years ago, and they serve my purpose of keeping me visisble while out on the roads  with traffic and if i fall and want to be rescued  by others :lol:

IMG_6170.jpg

:D

gogo

12 hours ago, gogoblender said:

We got plus two degrees here today!

and decided not to just take day off and watch netflix but try out some different pants and see how little I can wear while cutting out wind chill...which cuts to the bone in the mornings here when I get out the door.  These are some REALLY old pataonia ski pants I used to wear year and years ago, and they serve my purpose of keeping me visisble while out on the roads  with traffic and if I fall and want to be rescued  by others :lol:

IMG_6170.jpg

:D

gogo

Believe a firefighter: in forests bright-blue is the savety colour ;)

Too many yellow leaves in autumn.

But it doesn't matter much. We firefighters prefer to stay at home at fog with rain storms at 1C. Blue or yellow, if you are not able too shout we won't find you with a sight of below 10 metres.

Best to wear socks already worn for a week. 'Flora, Hektor, Argus - search Gogo'

• Haha 1

We have +4° here at 5:45 AM in the morning was able to get 6K in under the belt before I start work at 8 AM found out by sticking to one side of the street there is a significant difference in wind so I think I’ll stick to this route for the coming winter especially since these temperatures we’re going through currently I’m not even close to what a real Metro winter is like here’s my run on Strava, have a great day everyone XOXO

😄

gogo

ps That was the omelet I cooked after work cabbage and spinach on sale.. And always always the extra cheese :-)

A3E730CE-EEB7-41BF-AA29-02A3BAD8FAEE.jpeg

1719AE84-C19A-4D36-9C68-6D599BDA70DE.jpeg

13 hours ago, chattius said:

Believe a firefighter: in forests bright-blue is the savety colour ;)

Too many yellow leaves in autumn.

But it doesn't matter much. We firefighters prefer to stay at home at fog with rain storms at 1C. Blue or yellow, if you are not able too shout we won't find you with a sight of below 10 metres.

Best to wear socks already worn for a week. 'Flora, Hektor, Argus - search Gogo'

😄 That picture of All me yellow made my mom so happy .. she’s always worried I’m gonna get hit because I rush too fast … visible visible visible ., this is the way to be!

🐝

gogo

It’s actually +3° today and I walked my mom down to the dentist for her appointment but I had a great -8° run a few days ago and forgot to post a picture… It’s dark outside in the morning but this headlamp makes a difference

141B59D8-532E-423F-B965-E80257E06E73.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I was soooooo sicked out last week, and this is beginning of my second. Lost appetitie, food tasted alien, and even swallowing water was a chore., got tested for covid, negative, my doc says its probably an infection he'll use antibacs for well see how the convo goes tomorrow. I feel like im slowing getting better, can drink some porridge every now and then and today even got myself out for a quick 5 k walk, first time in a week... -20 degrees out there, but nothing can stop a good mood

gogo

tIMG_6726.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

Sadly too good weather: snow and sunshine

Our third did a walk with the dog when a 8 year old kid drove a sledge into her: torsion/spiral break of the left leg. Her food was kinda stuck in the snow and the body twisted. My wife said so while watching the x-rays. The problem is that it needed surgery and fixing with screws and staying in hospital for around 3 weeks more.

The bad is that the hospital doesn't allow visitors because many rooms on same floor are for covid nowadays, new half year in school will start, she can#t train her normal instruments...

The good: the mother of her friend is head nurse there.

And I hate the fight with insurances which will come: it happened in our forest and the kid drove through the forest unallowed while its parents were talking with other parents on a parking zone outside our forest.

Luckily my insurance will pay all and everything but it will try to get as much money back from the parents of the kid as all insurances try. That is the bad thing about living at a state border. Our state disallows driving through a forest outside roads, the 2 kilometre way state allows and the parents didn't know the state border which runs through the forest.

The ambulance was forced to call police. the police had to research a possible bodily harm because of carelessly, the report was sent to the insurance.. all happening even before I was informed while at work.

• zomgod! 1
3 hours ago, chattius said:

Sadly too good weather: snow and sunshine

Our third did a walk with the dog when a 8 year old kid drove a sledge into her: torsion/spiral break of the left leg. Her food was kinda stuck in the snow and the body twisted. My wife said so while watching the x-rays. The problem is that it needed surgery and fixing with screws and staying in hospital for around 3 weeks more.

The bad is that the hospital doesn't allow visitors because many rooms on same floor are for covid nowadays, new half year in school will start, she can#t train her normal instruments...

The good: the mother of her friend is head nurse there.

And I hate the fight with insurances which will come: it happened in our forest and the kid drove through the forest unallowed while its parents were talking with other parents on a parking zone outside our forest.

Luckily my insurance will pay all and everything but it will try to get as much money back from the parents of the kid as all insurances try. That is the bad thing about living at a state border. Our state disallows driving through a forest outside roads, the 2 kilometre way state allows and the parents didn't know the state border which runs through the forest.

The ambulance was forced to call police. the police had to research a possible bodily harm because of carelessly, the report was sent to the insurance.. all happening even before I was informed while at work.

Chatitus, im floored! sending best healing vibes possible , its a battle for the child as well as against your insurors... I was hearing about how getting access to medical these days is like a war zone... and in some places they even had 911 scenarios in hospitals where ambulances were lined up waiting for beds to open up in a hospital to get in.

I hope your child's pain is quick pass  and that she heals quickly

:hugs:

gogo

You know... justIMG_6730.jpg because its there.. kinda makes you wanna see if its possible right ?? Minus 31  ...if i do go for a quick walk, maybe a quick 2k ? wonder if ill come back with no lips

:lol:

gogo