What's the weather like over there?

The wind and rain here in NY was so bad last night it kept me awake. Been a while since that's happened. They're also saying snow soon. I hate snow

We have almost snow---snowlush... wet soggy socks... unless you get a pair of these... got 'em on sale fifty percent off... completely water proof and lined with Gore Tex... WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO

2cntugk.jpg

:dance:

gogo

• Like! 1

Handball...

I never understood why US names football soccer. And now they do their own handball. I grew up with field handball - not this indoor handball. It was played on a soccer field, often not gras but red sand. 11 vs 11 teams and it was a lot of running for the most, except for the cat (= me Chattius) between the goal poles. I had to jump for the balls by weak defense let through. Well it was the best defense in the league, but I use to say it was because I caught most of the balls.

3-format6001.jpg

My oldest daughter is tall enough to out jump every defense in her league. But she is working on her master in arboristic so not much time to play.

• Like! 1

Handball...

I never understood why US names football soccer.

We got it from the Brits. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/13/soccer-not-football-_n_5492714.html

The word “soccer,” which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, “association football.” As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

The rugby football game was shortened to "rugger," a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to "soccer."

Gradually, the term “soccer” gained popularity in the U.S. to distinguish the sport from American football. By the 1980s, the Brits began to part with the term, apparently, because it had become too "American."

• Like! 1

Handball...

I never understood why US names football soccer. And now they do their own handball. I grew up with field handball - not this indoor handball. It was played on a soccer field, often not gras but red sand. 11 vs 11 teams and it was a lot of running for the most, except for the cat (= me Chattius) between the goal poles. I had to jump for the balls by weak defense let through. Well it was the best defense in the league, but I use to say it was because I caught most of the balls.

3-format6001.jpg

My oldest daughter is tall enough to out jump every defense in her league. But she is working on her master in arboristic so not much time to play.

American handball is a result of the poor neighborhoods not having parks or grass really. Just a rubber ball and the side of their brick apartment building. I guess handball stuck as a name because you just hit it with your hands.

We played on the field which was used for village festivals. So after a festival both teams had to build lines and search and remove glass splinters and other dirt which could do wounds when falling on them. It was mainly like: country side outdoor handball and big cities with sport halls indoor handball.

I think in Canada it is indoor ice hockey vs frozen lake ice hockey which can be compared.

• Like! 1

We played on the field which was used for village festivals. So after a festival both teams had to build lines and search and remove glass splinters and other dirt which could do wounds when falling on them. It was mainly like: country side outdoor handball and big cities with sport halls indoor handball.

I think in Canada it is indoor ice hockey vs frozen lake ice hockey which can be compared.

ice hockey it is ^^

Dark dark dark outside, dunno what im doing up so early good day y'all happy satty!

"D

gogo

• 1 month later...

Had an ice storm here yesterday morning. My house was out of power from about 9 yesterday morning to about 3 this morning. My nephew was supposed to come into town last night to spend the weekend. Fortunately they announced Thursday night that school was cancelled yesterday, so he left late Thursday and beat the storm by a few hours.

Almost exactly 9 years ago we got hit by a big ice storm that blacked out most of the city for over a week, so people were very nervous leading up to this one. Thankfully this one was no where near as bad.

• Like! 1

Snow, storm, black ice, ... and nervous because the two older daughters try to come back home from university, highschool for weekend.

Chattius, hope yer home with family and safe, and they made it home safely

:hugs:

gogo

Had an ice storm here yesterday morning. My house was out of power from about 9 yesterday morning to about 3 this morning. My nephew was supposed to come into town last night to spend the weekend. Fortunately they announced Thursday night that school was cancelled yesterday, so he left late Thursday and beat the storm by a few hours.

Almost exactly 9 years ago we got hit by a big ice storm that blacked out most of the city for over a week, so people were very nervous leading up to this one. Thankfully this one was no where near as bad.

Ahhh, ice storm.. we've had our share here, and once they had to evacuate parts of the city because of the thousands of homes shut down by the storm ( I was away in Austrlia when all this was happening and I was reading about this in the newspapers 1998 ice storm)

Ice.jpg

...you're in Missouri, Lujate, I would have had no idea that it could get so cold there!

:oooo:

gogo

Oldest daughters are back to university/highschool and younger kids are skating behind the barn. Listening to the noise it must be a lot of friends with them. I did a small dam and put the place used for placing harvest machines in summer under 3 inches of water. All solid frozen now. Less risk than skating on the fish ponds.

• Like! 1

-20 Celcius at night, -7 at day. The field for ice skating is 15cm frozen.

Sadly same is for the water pots for our quails and hens. Because of the bird flu law they are not allowed to leave to the open. The stall has no heating, so I placed an infrared lamp with a timer above the water.

Found a dead swan at the fish pond. Dead birds have to be reported, because of H5N8 virus. Veterinarian says it was old age. What a luck. There was a case of H5N8 30 kilometres away with a wild goose.

• Like! 1

-20 Celcius at night, -7 at day. The field for ice skating is 15cm frozen.

Sadly same is for the water pots for our quails and hens. Because of the bird flu law they are not allowed to leave to the open. The stall has no heating, so I placed an infrared lamp with a timer above the water.

Found a dead swan at the fish pond. Dead birds have to be reported, because of H5N8 virus. Veterinarian says it was old age. What a luck. There was a case of H5N8 30 kilometres away with a wild goose.

Always interest me all the details of keeping animals and property going, however we did have a quite large snowstorm/ice storm/ rain pellets smack down yesterday... almost dont want to look outside past the drapes to see the mess nature has left

:D

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

SPRING

Yesterday was a good thermal lift at our hills, thousands of cranes circling before continuing to fly north. Great view.

Really? Not just an Indian summer? We've actually had some sweet warm weather last few days, but I'm pretty sure we're getting more cold weather?

Wish I could have seen those cranes.. sounds magnificent... hope they didn't go too early cuz of global warming

:lol:

gogo

My personal weather indicator (my 6th times dislocated shoulder) predicts rain and storm ;)

And my experience with the cranes says the same: They want to cross the north sea before the bad end winter storms over the open sea make it too dangerous. Rain storms bring bad, but warm, weather. So the lakes will no longer be frozen and the mice on the fields leave the ground because the deeper ground is still frozen and the rain floods their holes because the water can't go much more into the ground. So the mice are an easy prey for storks and cranes. Clever beasts, they refresh energy reserves and wait with nesting till it gets warm and not raining. For some people Spring begins with nesting, for me with arriving of the cranes.

Rain clouds prevent the ground from cooling down too much at nights so it will get warmer. Warmer is not necessary sun, it is just not freezing any more.

Westerwälder Frühling, Spring in the Westerwald

All the songs about our area are about hills and cold winds and every bit of sun doing big emotions.

Cranes circling at sundown are BIG emotions.

It's getting scary over here. 65°f in the beginning of February? Nooooo, climate change isn't real at all. Lol

Hearing you and inner cheering on that climate change... but folks tell me we'll get bitten soon enough... is it wrong to hope that summer starts now?

:4rofl:

gogo