What's the weather like over there?

We had -5 today also compared to the last to days were I fros like a madman today I swet like a pig

Hehe

Being on a bike keeps you warm!

Gogo: With my current winter gear that would've resulted in serious lack of flexibility. So I went with lighter gear today. Had to be inside relatively long.

And just 'cause the bus' timetables didn't quite match, "had" to stop at a nearby Irish Pub for a quick Irish coffee. :P Warmed somewhat, as there was around -22C again...

lol "had" to stop for irish coffee... yes of course Juha :lol:

And so, it's my day off today guys, one of a series of two, I'm ebullient and exuberant, want to just spend me day on the net posting away and having fun, wheeeeeeeeeee

-1 positively toasty today yes?

:P

gogo

We had ~3 inches of the white stuff last night/this morning. Side roads are a bit of a nightmare, but main roads not bad at all. Trouble is, a big freeze tonight so it could be an icerink tommorow morning. Hmmmm.

EDIT :- walked into town and back this morning, and it is way better than forecast. The roads and pavements are clear. I think the counsil did a great job gritting the roads and paths over night. Many thanks for thier hard work. :bow:

Edited by cider_steve

We had -5 today also compared to the last to days were I fros like a madman today I swet like a pig

Hehe

Being on a bike keeps you warm!

Gogo: With my current winter gear that would've resulted in serious lack of flexibility. So I went with lighter gear today. Had to be inside relatively long.

And just 'cause the bus' timetables didn't quite match, "had" to stop at a nearby Irish Pub for a quick Irish coffee. :P Warmed somewhat, as there was around -22C again...

lol "had" to stop for irish coffee... yes of course Juha :lol:

And so, it's my day off today guys, one of a series of two, I'm ebullient and exuberant, want to just spend me day on the net posting away and having fun, wheeeeeeeeeee

-1 positively toasty today yes?

gogo

Hehe gogo well I had the same outfit as the cold day so I was hot even before I went out and when the degree goes from -17 to -5 that's a lot so the biking was not what gave me warthm it was the skieng outfit ;)

So far, the winter has pretty much ignored us, we have had daytime highs pushing 60°F (15°C). Woke up this morning and it was 10°F (-12°C). That temp is not unusual for January, it is just a shock after such un-winterlike weather.

Same here....barely any measurable snow and temps way higher than norm....though today is a wee bit chilly. high of 20°F and tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 10°F with winds around 20-30 mph. But then back into the 50's on Tuesday. Definitely a weird winter.

It has thankfully cooled down a bit in South Africa, temperatures of 35°C during the day. And actually switched of the fan when going to bed.

Hope you guys in the northern hemisphere won't all turn into ice pops...

Delta!

Ha, Theuns, you got your cold, and I got the cold too! It's some how crept back into our world here, we have a blustery -14 , this is the temperature level I usually start closing my window at night, even though I like a brisk breeze.

May your fan whirr well!

:)

gogo

Carnival parade today. Seems it will be sunny after all the rain last days. Hope it stays this way while I play the tuba in the firefighter marching band. Had some 'I need new clothes' from the wives in my family. Mainly our oldest did hard to find a fitting costume for a carnival party later today.

karnevalskostueme1.jpg

The ones you can buy were all too small for her height. So she is stealing some of my working clothes, helmet, gloves and will go there as a working girl.

What is a Latzhose in english? In german the word overall is used for a cloth with long arms, covering full body without head, hands and feet.

schnittschutz-latzhose.jpg

Schnittschutzhose = chainsaw safety trousers ?

chattius: Would be lappuhaalarit in Finnish, but as far as I know (from swift searching) there isn't quite a fitting word for it...

*Someone more knowledgable in linquistics, please report at the main counter*

Hopefully the weather'll be nice all day long. Here's been some snow showers and quite mild frost. Here's hoping tomorow'll be at least cloudy but dry. And so far looking good.

If it's not too cold workmen will finally set up new doors for our rowhouse. About time, at least for mine. Really hard to close it quietly, especially in wintertime. And the new ones ought to be more warm, insulation's better in order and all.

Whew, can't remember when was the last time I used dictionary this many times while typing a post. :P

Looks like my English is getting rusty by the minute..

Your english is wonderful Juha, and getting better with every post!

And, now you've got me curious... what is a rowhouse? is that kind of like a house out/down by the water's edge for keeping boats in?

gogo

I did rowhouse as the german Reihenhaus. Reihe = row, several identical houses/appartments placed wall at wall build in row.

English wiki of Reihenhaus:

In architecture and city planning, a Terrace(d) house, terrace, row house, linked house or townhouse (though the last term can also refer to patio houses) is a style of medium-density housing that originated in Great Britain in the late 17th century, where a row of identical or mirror-image houses share side walls. The first and last of these houses is called an end terrace, and is often larger than those houses in the middle....

regenbogen_reihenhaus_05_05_2010.jpg

ansichten_reihenhaus.jpg

And now the very interesting question: how do you translate Zweigangautomatikrücktrittbremse into proper english? Two gear hub with automatic switching and having a back-pedal brake integrated?

Two_gear_hub_automaticy_switching_.jpg

My mother always used this kind of brake and gear shifting. A very very interesting beast. You turn the pedal back and it brakes, but also shifts the gear. So you get used to do double braking to switch gear twice, id est back to the gear you had before braking. The gear hub is in a foldable bicycle she uses for 40+ years now.

She says she is too old to get used to more modern gear switching systems and brakes, so I have to look for repair pieces when I am on sales travels.

• 2 weeks later...

We got really weird weather here this week. For Monday and Tuesday, we've been forecasted around - 10-15°C. And for almost the rest of the week, there should be highs of around +10°C. Spring is here! (I really hope so, really tired of winter damaging my car).

Max

Big chains of cranes flying back, first blossoms in the garden, birds searching for places to build nests, mason bees and Bumblebees searching for holes in the clay parts of the sunny side of our wooden patchwork barn, boys at our house after school, ...

Spring?

Clear nights around freezing point, sun and 12C day, cutted all trees and bushes before birds built nests...

We got really weird weather here this week. For Monday and Tuesday, we've been forecasted around - 10-15°C. And for almost the rest of the week, there should be highs of around +10°C. Spring is here! (I really hope so, really tired of winter damaging my car).

Max

I hear you on that weird. I mean tropical bliss for a few days in a row here in central city, with some pretty cold days now... winter's not giving up it's hold easily! *shakes fist*

Big chains of cranes flying back, first blossoms in the garden, birds searching for places to build nests, mason bees and Bumblebees searching for holes in the clay parts of the sunny side of our wooden patchwork barn, boys at our house after school, ...

Spring?

Clear nights around freezing point, sun and 12C day, cutted all trees and bushes before birds built nests...

Love that image of the chains of cranes, fabulous, you made me "feel" a bit of spring

just a bit though

gogo

We're about to go thru one of the mildest winters ever for my region. Temps have been 5°F above normal (we might hit 70°F today which is just insane) and snowfall is the 2nd lowest on record - just 8 inches (we typically get about 50 inches). And this after last season - which is in the top 5 for most snowfall in my area. We had 100 inches last year.

While that feels good for us, temp wise, does that impact skiing and winter sports? For us, the Laurentians are so close by, a fair bit of industry is during seasonal times, with a lot of the resorts closing up shop during summer. We're getting a fair bit of warm weather too now, was +8 yesterday and currently now we got +12!

:chef:

BBQ is a comin

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Daytime 20+ celcius and sun. Less than 18% of average rain. Yesterday I did the warning sign for forest fires at the road (never this early in a year) - no smoking, not throwing away bottles, no parking of a car with catalysator, ...

Farmers are quite depressive. Plants from autumn were frozen at the below -20 celcius and no snow in winter. So they rot on fields. They were plowed down and new seeds were done. Seed prices exploded and now even the new seeds won't grow because of no rain. Wonder why all old books read our area as rain, snow and storms.

But not even the plants are bad. New virus diseases do mis-shaped baby sheeps. That is the disadvantage of germany being europes central country and all traffic running through it. Diseases spread real fast. Last years q-fever and now this new one.

Schmallenberg virus

Chattius, that drought sounds so intense! I've never heard anything like that here in quebec. If anything, it's more like TOO much precipitation! I went to dentist today, they called me to ask if I wanted to come in as a last minute replacement for a tooth cleaning, and look out the window.

Course, it's -1 and with me poor me who's just lost his mitts...sigh...the walk...course my outrageously priced dentist who lives in Westmount doesn't have the courtesy to live near a metro, so I have to walk a good while... sigh :P

I'm all shined up and ready to go though for another six months! The snow has turned to rain, and...course on the last evening of my second day off..it's looking to be one tomorrow...

*weak yay*

Cheers folks!

:gogo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

We had some super balmy weather yesterday ( well kinda :P) and I got off early at 8 pm (yay!). It's fun getting home and actually seeing some light out in the world, people doing groceries (of which I partook) and getting to relax for a bit of a longer evening.

I'm seeing a start of 8 degrees here today going up to 12.

Shine on oh smiley sun!

:gogo:

gogo

chattius: I'm sorry to hear that. But I guess that's one of the spring's quirks or something.

It's been quite cloudy here, but around +10C tops.

Really seems that spring's steadily creaping on us. :)