What's the weather like over there?

Thankful that I only truly suffered through the one snowstorm on Friday, because my car managed to misfire as a result. Just discovered that the injection coil was the main issue, so I gotta get that replaced.

Knuckles,

know how it is without power. My main problem used to be trees falling at storms and damaging lines. And since I am the only house on this end of the line it was always low priority for the power company when stuff had to be repaired at bad weather.

So now we use at least 3 different way to heat the house and 3 to for power.

normal power supply

wood gasification driving an engine whose heat is put into a heat battery 5 metres in ground

our staircase with the builtin oven: http://darkmatters.org/forums/index.php?/topic/18412-what-is-the-latest-big-real-life-project-you-started/page-1

old wood and coal fired ovens

a trailer with an 18 horsepower generator (got it cheap from a bankrupt company, 500 euro at auction)

One reason for the triple savety was that my wife is an doc and at bad weather normal all comes together: not possible to bring people to a distant hospital because of trees blocking, power shortage, ...

I've thought about getting a generator for my house but would be too expensive to do it right....can't put in basement as it floods during any big storm with high winds and high tide. If I put if outside it would have to be raised a few feet for same reason but I can just see all the salt spray corroding the metal within a few years.

But mostly I haven't done it because I know they won't let the fire dept go without power for too long. And unless the line going to my house from the street is damaged, I should get power back soon. Plus with all the contacts I have at various town departments I could get back soon after the storm if I really wanted it. Prob last weekend was it went out at the beginning of the storm. I knew the electric company wouldn't be sending out repair crews until the storm was winding down. So I knew I was going to be out for about 20 hours minimum

Least the weather is cooperating...Thursday's storm gave maybe 3-4 inches and the big storm they were worried about over the weekend will form too farout to sea to bother me. But still got this weekend off (woohoo with holiday Monday I got a 3-day weekend). The electric company is still too busy restoring power to those few unfortunate people still without power.

Armageddon

Had a police call and feared the worst. Then the officer said they want to excuse because they weren't believing our 8 year old when she reported a possible plane crash when she was out with the dog after 10pm.

I was getting my wife and the 13year old from railwaystation. The 8 year old was ordered to look for the twins the 30 minutes I would be away. Our 13year old didn't say that she phoned the police and I wouldn't have known if not for the call from the police.

It wasn't a plane crash it was an asteroid hitting russia and she was the first but not the only who reported it in my village. 7 calls and the officer said that his collegue felt sorry because she said her name, address, age, and reason for the call as she was taught all in a correct way, he just had nothing from flight control and she was the first with a call.

Now I hope that the big one which is scheduled will really pass the earth by these 40000km newpapers say.

• Like! 1

Hope the Mayans are a few more years off myself :P

Well I give up lol.....looks like that storm is going to hit after all...snowfall projection was at zero this morning and now steadily creeping up. Have us at 12 inches right now with potentially more....

Really not liking winter that much anymore

The Tunguska Event is a rare, but very important reminder of what can & will most likely happen again according to so-called experts.

Russia-CIA_WFB_Map--Tunguska.png

Location of the event in Siberia Russia. Modern Map.

Tunguska.png

Trees knocked over by the Tunguska blast, as if they where tooth picks.

Tunguska_epicenter.jpg

June 30, 1908. Date of event. The Southern Swamp, epicentre. Photo taken in 2008. 100 years later, the forest is still leveled.

800px-Tunguska_event_fallen_trees.jpg

Flattening 770 square miles of dense forest. Seen by glowing sunsets the globe over.

Imagine. Moscow, London, New York City, etc.

Tick, Tock.

I remain, :bomb:

Edited by Etherian
  • Like! 1

I heard about the meteor in russia, the latest one, and was always fascinated by the last metor strike the pix of which you put up eth. There's huge beastly forces outside of our control, things that updates and upgrades have zero control over.

Humbling moments

And, ladies and gents, good to be back on teh boards! My View New posts was having a bad day for a wee while, but with Schot to rescue and simple Click! all is good and well.

Hola -26 outside?

:oooog:

gogo

Armageddon

Had a police call and feared the worst. Then the officer said they want to excuse because they weren't believing our 8 year old when she reported a possible plane crash when she was out with the dog after 10pm.

I was getting my wife and the 13year old from railwaystation. The 8 year old was ordered to look for the twins the 30 minutes I would be away. Our 13year old didn't say that she phoned the police and I wouldn't have known if not for the call from the police.

It wasn't a plane crash it was an asteroid hitting russia and she was the first but not the only who reported it in my village. 7 calls and the officer said that his collegue felt sorry because she said her name, address, age, and reason for the call as she was taught all in a correct way, he just had nothing from flight control and she was the first with a call.

Now I hope that the big one which is scheduled will really pass the earth by these 40000km newpapers say.

Sharp eyes!

or that easily seen from so far away>?

:)

gogo

Hola -26 outside?

-26 outside?

Good day to be inside and have a fake *cough* cold. Sorry boss, feeling under the weather lately.

Promptly fires up good old Sacred 2 start-up once again.

I remain, :flu:

The weather: 31 here, balmy in comparison.

• Like! 1

Latest information about our 'meteor':

I was already puzzled how a Meteor hitting russia at a speed of 54000km/h could be seen in germany when it hit russia coming from the east. The police was informed by spacecontrol that it was in fact a booster from a russian rocket which burnt when hitting the atmosphere above our little place.

Video how the entry of the booster was seen by people in germany:

Around 35seconds is an explosion which made my daughtrer believe in a plane crash. She said it was really bright.

However, reading the -20Celcius and all these destroyed windows from this meteorit, hope a humanity organisation moved some plastic or other stuff to close the houses.

• Like! 1

zomgod, so cool! your daughter with future as spy eyes...sharp!

Luck on the cought, Eth, we all need cozy inside time at times just to not bear the forces outside our door.

Zodia, completely with you! This cold weather is so frustarting

:)

gogo

Eth: If only I was faking it... There is high possibility that I caught some influenza or something. Second week in going. No fever as it is. But I'm steadily coughing my lungs on the walls and brains flowing out me head through nose. Geh...

Weather's been nice enough, altough all I've been outside these few days are taking post (about 10-20 meters from my front door) and taking trash. (add another 10 or so meters) :P

Nothing worse than getting sick during winter...hope you feel better soon Eth

Well back to more of SSDD. Last 2 weekends have dumped a total of 3 feet of snow here and looks like we're going for the trifecta....no forecast on amount but they're saying we got another snow storm hitting this weekend...all they're saying is it'll be 'plowable snow' :crazy:

Starting to feel like I got my own little blog going. Looking at another foot of snow Sat night thru Sunday.

If you ever hear me say Winter is my favorite season......smack me....on the back of the head........really really hard :P

I am now officially changing my favorite season to Autumn

• Like! 1

I feel for you, Knucks! Looks like you're really getting it there...

I think I'm starting to lean towards autumn myself too. Though summer's quite strong also.

Spring's full of pollen, so no thank you. On winter it's either too much snow, or too darn cold. I used to really hate fall in the past. Reminded me of starting school, getting all gloomy with continous rain, etc. But it deffo beats this winter here.

Couple of days've been quite nice. Yesterday was all sunny and today, while no sun, decent enough. Around -8C, although there's nasty wind out there.

Another Winter Weather Advisory via NOA. Supposed to be the worst storm in our region *Pacific Northwest* thus far. Calling for a foot of snow with high wind speeds.

In comparison however, our winter has been mild to date. A couple months ago, I spoke with some old timers here in our area. Retired farmers, sitting down drinking their coffee at a local morning watering hole. They all recalled one winter, 31 years ago now. Thanksgiving night, of that year, the area recieved 28 inches on the ground.

I am 34 and have never seen 28" in one night. Insane!

I remain, :crazy:

• Like! 1

Hmmh, the old saying how everything's big in America still holds true, I see...

Good luck shoveling yourself up from the drifts, Eth.

Can't remember, if there's been quite that much snow at a single go, although I remember one winter, nearly 20 years ago. We must've gotten at least 50cm-60cm snow a single night. Not sure about current situation, might be around 50 altogether. More than enough if you ask me.

I can only wish you luck while I sit in Sunny South Africa, we have very mild weather, mostly hot sunshine days, but a bit overcast now and then. although the night are cooling down.

Delta!