What's the weather like over there?

For me this has been one of the best 'working' summers I can remember....only one week of brutal humidity/heat (of course when I replaced all my exterior trim on house). Otherwise been mid-80's or lower and a nice sea breeze. Probably means winter will be terrible :P

Westwind and sunny. There was something red in the top of one of my pear trees two days ago. Using a pole I removed it and it was a deflated balloon from a balloon release/race. Sender was a 8 year old girl from Belgium.

Our third is close to same age so I said her to answer. My sister got a life long pen friend by answering a balloon car.

Balloon races get rare. Environment problems because of the not rotting hull. When I was young I found like 40 cards a summer in our trees.

Amazing story. I've never even heard of balloon cards! I guess people don't do it in the States.

It was quite common here. At marriages each guest started a balloon. Written on it were gifts the senders would do if the card was send back.

I remember a boy who wrote: if this card will be send back I promise that I will babysit 5 times at the first kid of my older sister.

Or the best girl friend of a bride: I will care for the dog when you do a journey.

Something like gift coupons.

http://www.ballonversand.ch/ballon_sets_ballonwettbewerb_just_married,pid,810,rid,37,produktdetail.html

Winning a balloon race is tricky. Best do just as much helium in that the balloon climbs slowly. Then wait till late afternoon. At a sunny day a ballon may heat up, gets bigger=lighter , climbs even higher. Less pressure in the air and it explodes. So a slow climbing balloon which travels at night is best.

no, night life?

In a way I'm kinda lucky here, we live on small mountiain in montreal, big park, etc behind us, and cool/busy street in front, feels good to be connected, but also cool to just be able to take a few steps back and immedietely be rid of it all.

Sunny, cool, and blue here

:)

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great story Chattius, I'm touched, and love reading how, yeah, we all are kind of connected, we just have to find the dots and make the way.

great tree and home to future years at your place

And, what a great morning we had to wake up to this morning, Montreal, gifted with some balmy, super mild, sunny, but cloudish weather, with winds and a classy touch of humidity.

Island Weather!

:dance:

gogo

• 1 month later...

The weather is really confused in the Western Cape. one day warm and sunny, the next day cold, cloudy and then it starts to rain, the next day windy and snipping cold but the sun shines, and then a warm day again... can't pack away my winter clothes yet and can't bring out all my summer clothing yet... :nono:

Delta!

• Like! 1

Schozo weddah!

:oooo:

Well, this morning was a bit kinda coldish with some cloudy masses, but it's broken up just five minutes ago, I'm outside today for a bit, under the big bright blooooooooooooooo

:gogo:

gogo

p.s. Go naked with a raincoat, Theuns, ez on, ez off! :4rofl:

• Like! 1

Stormy weather which blowed a lot of leaves on the streets yesterday. -3Celcius at 6am so the leaves were frozen and created an unpredictable mass on the street. So I said to my daughter that I will bring her to school in town instead doing it with her bicycle. I am used to stop 500metres away from school so I didn't have to pass the traffic jam their twice on my way to work.

I was totally puzzled that the moment she left the car a garage opened. A mother of a classmate asked if she should drive my daughter together with her son to school. My daughter said the boy is totally healthy... 500metres with a car,.... it was cold but sun started to appear....

The mother has to open the garage, drive through the traffic jam twice, close the garage, ... Alone the garage opening should be 100m walk, the preparing to drive with key searching and such another 100m, driving in a traffic jam is by no means quicker than walking, ...

Only kid I heard ... the boy is 14 and not 4.

• Like! 1

After some rainy days: sun. And with the sun noises in the sky. Minutes later thousands cranes flying south. Took a break in garden work and called at the house for the kids to watch them.

omgod, I had that same kind of epiphany this morning! I was jogging out back around the mountain, and, for today, for some reason, looked up...and saw these birds just going in and out, around and around... doing their flock thing... how do they do that flock thing... we can't even do that with airplanes, radar, miracle?

A great morning out, and yeah, finally, sun comes out.

Nothing like thousands of cranes though, but still, my little flock won me a smile and some appreciation for my daily day

:)

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Was wondering where you'd been off to Chattius you!

:whip:

I'll be careful to, if I visit Germany to onlyl ask YOU for drives through the country

thanks for the warning :lol:

And...here today Montreal

rain

cloudy skies

rain

wind

raaaaaaaaaaaain...

:blink:

gogo

Today is a warm day in Stellenbosch and Cape Town. Quickly drove to Cape Town to buy new shoes for working in the kitchen.

The Head Chef has been complaining and giving me lots of trouble for wearing appropriate shoes in the kitchen, just because they are "ugly" :mellow: according to him. Doesn't matter if it is very comfortable, has non-slip soles, steel in-forced toes, protects my feet and it isn't even heavy. So I went to get a pair of Birkenstock. Kinda expensive for shoes. R 725.00, for shoes? damn. but the work is going to pay for half of it...

Hope the weather continues like this.

Delta!

• Like! 1

omgod, lol... r u serious? He complained so much you got new shoes?

Do like birkenstocks though... very nice, and you're lucky you're getting half of them paid for

Course now I have to ask... got a pic of the shoes?

This a case of "Shoe pidity?"

:D

gogo

p.s. Yeah I read yer FB :P

omgod, lol... r u serious? He complained so much you got new shoes?

Do like birkenstocks though... very nice, and you're lucky you're getting half of them paid for

Course now I have to ask... got a pic of the shoes?

This a case of "Shoe pidity?"

:D

gogo

p.s. Yeah I read yer FB :P

HAHAHA, yes, he complained so much that I got new shoes.

post-15332-0-91268100-1383411092_thumb.jpg

I have been wearing them since I got them(a few hours now) to get used to them. so far very comfortable, I'm wearing it without socks right now, and even thought it is starting to get a bit chilly and my feet is turning cold, it is also getting a bit sweaty? Is that normal with plastic/rubber shoes? or is that just me and I should wear socks with...?

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

Zomgod, Deltat those are awesome!! I actually never owned a pair of Stocks before, they are a bit pricey here, but those you showed look great! In kitchen here, shoes have to be protective, are those enough to be okay in kitchen? And you don't have to wear socks?

What about the pics of the ugly shoes you bought that your boss was coming down on

:lol:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

I did a summer job at a water pipe manufacturer. The savety rules were all or nothing. If a drop of liquid iron hits you it may burn through your savety gear which took away 95% of the accidently iron spray normally. But the iron can do real harm before you can get rid of it if it went inside your gear. If you worked with naked upper body you were short burned but could get rid of the iron way quicker. Two edged sword., because there was no savety gear which could guarantee that no liquid iron could go inside for 100%. We had buckets with water which had to be poured inside the savety gear after removing the helmet. So if the person injured panics and you are allone to help him noone could explain to me how to do it.

So in case of a kitchen accident: hot fat can be removed faster without socks and wearing Birkenstocks, but they do less protection if the ceiling comes down?

BTW: weather is -8 celcius with spray rain. So all is icing, wonder when the first car crasches will happen.

I did a summer job at a water pipe manufacturer. The savety rules were all or nothing. If a drop of liquid iron hits you it may burn through your savety gear which took away 95% of the accidently iron spray normally. But the iron can do real harm before you can get rid of it if it went inside your gear. If you worked with naked upper body you were short burned but could get rid of the iron way quicker. Two edged sword., because there was no savety gear which could guarantee that no liquid iron could go inside for 100%. We had buckets with water which had to be poured inside the savety gear after removing the helmet. So if the person injured panics and you are allone to help him noone could explain to me how to do it.

So in case of a kitchen accident: hot fat can be removed faster without socks and wearing Birkenstocks, but they do less protection if the ceiling comes down?

BTW: weather is -8 celcius with spray rain. So all is icing, wonder when the first car crasches will happen.

That is some crazy dangerous weather Chattius

Do you get nervous knowing that more calls will come in asking you to get to work? We're having a 30 cm slush bomb day here in good ole montreal, I think the entire East Coast is being hit, my mom just posted about a slush river running through her town.

If you got boots folks, use em!

and ...liquid iron...

*shudder*

:oooo:

gogo

Well it was a time when I was just finished with 13 years school and needed money before being drafted into army for 18 months and a payment of like 200 dollar/month.

night shift bonus

dirt bonus

double shift bonus

danger bonus

All this bonus payments sounded like good money when wanting to buy my first car. Not to say that I learned stuff which I never learned at school or university and which is quite useful now. But I didn't know at that time of my nowadays job. Most mathematicians end in a bank or insurance company. Controlling a crane, welding, learning basics about steel mixing ... Army added explosives and so it feels good when the companies math could do the same work as the steel workers, better communication and feedback from production to planing and developing.

Weather:

No heavy accidents yet. But starting around 4pm some snow is predicted. So with getting dark and snow the same moment it may be tricky on the roads.

sorry about the late reply.

here is a picture of the old safety shoes that I used to wear in the kitchen. they are 18months old and the only "looking after them" I do is to clean them... but I wear them if I go hiking or walking for a very long time and need my feet protected and comfortable... they probably went through hell while being on my feet, seeing how it took all the damage that would've befallen my feet...

post-15332-0-22487200-1385562633_thumb.jpg

Weather in Stellenbosch, Cape Town and Franschoek is sunny, warm, and a bit of a breeze blowing outside.

hope winter is not going to be too bad for you guys in the north!

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

That shoe pic is AWESOME

seriously, use a filter for a black and white effect and immortalize this..it's a great story, and they valiantly saved your precious epidermis through probably many a mishap!

and crossing my fingers for your success with a safe start to winter as well Chattius

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1