What's the weather like over there?

It is cooling down very quickly here. The nights are becoming chilly and it stays that way till about 9 in the morning. We also get lots of fog in the morning on the roads.

It does feel like we had a very nice and long summer, and winter pounced on us without any warning

Delta!

• Like! 1

While the girls of the family did already some sunbaths the boys cursed gardenwork and no rain. The soil is dry and very hard to dig with a spade to plant vegs, potato, flowers, ...

I was lazy or very creative, depends how you see it, probably it is the same...

I mounted the mobile crane on my unimog and worked only at places I could reach with the crane and its attached tools. Old army beast from a pioneer platoon and what was good for making foxholes for soldiers is now good to transform a part of the garden to a more back relaxing raised-bed-gardening. I am getting older ;)

The more important reason is to fill the lowest layers of the raised-beds with rotting compost. So the ground is warmer than normal at our place and hopefully we can harvest some stuff which would normally no grow here.

• Like! 1

While the girls of the family did already some sunbaths the boys cursed gardenwork and no rain. The soil is dry and very hard to dig with a spade to plant vegs, potato, flowers, ...

I was lazy or very creative, depends how you see it, probably it is the same...

I mounted the mobile crane on my unimog and worked only at places I could reach with the crane and its attached tools. Old army beast from a pioneer platoon and what was good for making foxholes for soldiers is now good to transform a part of the garden to a more back relaxing raised-bed-gardening. I am getting older ;)

The more important reason is to fill the lowest layers of the raised-beds with rotting compost. So the ground is warmer than normal at our place and hopefully we can harvest some stuff which would normally no grow here.

lol... getting older.. stick in there Chattius! :bounce:

And... from montreal... did anyone order an extra cold Sunday morning?

:oooo:

gogo

• 3 months later...

Im so getting tired of this. It's like mister weather botched up summer, at least here for MOntreal... June was pretty much the only month we had with daring hot days in a row (even got my tan up and going :P) but now, here in July... most of it passed, and most of it dreary and rainy...

Maybe life in a desert is nice?

I'm finding myself a little jealous of our friends here in the southern lands... Hello ... Arizona!

:)

gogo

3 Days with rain were highly welcome. I had to fill my well with a firetruck already. My well was short from drying out again and I am not connected to the public water supply. Fewest rain ever in a year in our region since weather is measured. With only 38.9Celcius me missed the alltime record by just 0,1C.

Living surrounded by trees dry as cinderwood you wish for rain, trust me.We had 2 small fires started by hot car catalysators. People parked on dry grass.

• Like! 1

3 Days with rain were highly welcome. I had to fill my well with a firetruck already. My well was short from drying out again and I am not connected to the public water supply. Fewest rain ever in a year in our region since weather is measured. With only 38.9Celcius me missed the alltime record by just 0,1C.

Living surrounded by trees dry as cinderwood you wish for rain, trust me.We had 2 small fires started by hot car catalysators. People parked on dry grass.

Fire season in Western Canada is a terrible time as well, especially dry weather has resulted in some catastrophic disasters o'er the last few years, with many fire fighters losing their lives :(

As a bright note... oowah, the sun has come! The sky is blue! Here in mtl actually... and I've got the day off, coffee, a quick breakfast, and off biking I go!

:dance:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

As I write this, the weather is cloudy. Which is annoying, there is a total lunar eclipse happening. There is a nice breeze, which feels wonderful as I sit on my roof, waiting for a break in the clouds. I did get to watch the moon as it neared totality. But as soon as it hit total, BOOM! Clouds! Lol. It is a lovely night. Other than the stupid moon blocking clouds, of course.

Yeah that was really cool to see. I took some pics but none came out good :(

We're about to get soaked...most of the summer has been rain free and in 1st stages of drought around here but tomorrow we're forecast for 4-5 inches of rain. Depending on the track of Tropical Storm Joaquin, we could get several more inches during the weekend.

Luckily for me, the Cape is mostly sand so drainage isn't an issue...but just off-cape, flooding is going to be a huge problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much rain, still some nice sunny days - so I hope the young wild cats will grow up even they were born a bit late in the year.

post-4779-0-02624600-1444311810_thumb.jpg

We like to watch them playing, but we have to approach carefully and use a telescope for star watching. The mother cat is always on guard.

1 centimetre of snow when waking up. Winter is arriving and still too many tents for all the Refugees/dislocated people. Government should do a stop on immigrations. Using schools and sport halls for the people can't be the solution.

• 3 months later...

After the record breaking amount of snow we had last year...this year has been the complete opposite...total of 4 inches so far (last season's total was 110")...and I'm one of those guys that love a good snow storm...so have thought about posting in here lamenting the dearth of white stuff so far....so when I finally decide to post.......

Welp going to get my snow storm this weekend....looks like a classic Nor'Easter coming my way....still a little too far out to pin down amounts but early estimates are approx 1-2 feet :D

• Like! 1

After the record breaking amount of snow we had last year...this year has been the complete opposite...total of 4 inches so far (last season's total was 110")...and I'm one of those guys that love a good snow storm...so have thought about posting in here lamenting the dearth of white stuff so far....so when I finally decide to post.......

Welp going to get my snow storm this weekend....looks like a classic Nor'Easter coming my way....still a little too far out to pin down amounts but early estimates are approx 1-2 feet :D

Did it get really huge there Robb? We were hit here by snow, bout a day and a half, it's mostly stopped now...but the winds are pretty nasty and howling...

:oooo:

gogo

Well it won't be til Saturday/Sunday for us...but looks like it's drifting south, so the snow amounts and winds look to be less than initially predicted....if I get a good 6-8" storm I'll be happy :D

• Like! 1

Finally frozen ground to move the trunks out of the forest. For the kids I hope that the field I flooded will freeze for icing today.

Bravo on the ice flooding... Kids must luvs ya!

:bounce:

gogo

My mom, who lives near Washington on the East coast in states, is expecting a huge storm o'er this weekend, and since she lives close by where she works, at Senior Residence, they're asking some of the employees to stay over to help take care of the residents for the storm.

Sleepovers for employees!^^

gogo

• Like! 1

It is boiling hot here! temperature everyday above 35ºC. and we have veld fires that started on Tuesday already that are still blazing. Simonsberg mountain, Just across the road from work is blazing, Thelema wine farm which is situated on the slopes, has lost 20% of the vineyards already and lots of grapes where ruined by the ash...

The skies are grey with smoke and ash falls all over Stellenbosch, Klapmuts, and even some areas of Paarl. flames can be seen from a few kilometres away, winefarms are being evacuated... hope we will have rain soon.

Delta!

• Like! 1

Very disparaging, Theuns! I hope you get that rain, and some reprieve from the heat. Does all that smoke near you make breathing more labored?

Funny how our small corners of the world always seem to be so polaric with our weather... keeps things in perspective for me. ^^

gogo

Hope you and your family are safe over there Theuns

Complete opposite here.....last few days been hearing nothing other than the Blizzard in Washington DC/Baltimore area. Even when I would see the Weather Channel show snow prediction maps for the next couple days, my part of the world would be cut off from view....After the very first report of possibly a foot, all further predictions have been 6 inches max.

Until now...been snowing for a few hours (already 3-4 inches on ground), and just now do they issue a Blizzard warning and say oh btw you're getting 12-18 inches :) So glad I had nothing planned for the weekend

• Like! 1