What's the weather like over there?

We have a drought :( No rain for weeks. We tried to plant some vegs but the first foot of earth is hard as concrete. And since we are not connected to the water supply we need all the water in our well for ourself. Only a fifth of the water as normal the last 6 weeks.

I hear a lot of areas like yours also make it illegal to collect rain water. Is that true? Because that's ridiculous

• Like! 1

and..just wont stop raining over here... had to cut my run short out on the mountain... almost all my gear is water proof except the pockets on my pants I left open and the rain just dripped down into me shoes...

nooooooooooooooooooo

:oooo

gogo

One nearby town got 9 inches of rain in only 6 hours over the weekend. The place looks like it got hit by a tornado. The state governor was supposed to give a speech there today, but all roads into the town are still under water.

thats devestating... canoe and scuba gear weather... luck nothing so devastating here yet... though in some outlying areas near me there has been some dangerous flooding...town called Rigaud

:)

gogo

The days have just about started cooling down a bit, and then we get a freak 35°C day like yesterday. Evenings are cool, and very windy.

Delta!

Edited by Delta!
  • Like! 1

Cant even imagine that kind of weather without air con. My aunt and uncle are hanging out in a rural village type area in Sri Lanka these days, lol..they be putting washcloths in the freezer then pulling them out once in a while to place upon their skin... they have a set that they rotate

:lol:

poor Aunt

:hugs:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

While Summer isn't my favorite season, it's not like I hate it or anything. It's just when it's soooo humid out that I start sweating as soon as I'm out in the sun, those days I can't stand. When those days happen I often wish summer was over right there and then...

Seems I got my wish....after 3 days of opressive heat and humidity...we had 2 'normal' summer days...but today was raw and windy, and tomorrow forecast for same..hi temps will barely hit 60°F....feels more like mid Autumn than Summer....I will actually be wearing a sweatshirt to start tomorrow off....I never ever thought I would have to do that mid-summer in an area renowned for summer beach vacations.

• Like! 1

I hear you on the switch to cold weather. Just this morning I realized it was actually gonna be a sweatshirt day. I dont mind cold days in the summer as long as its not too many of them in a row. I've started walking home from work this last few weeks just to enjoy the walk through sunny central downtown montreal... about a thirty five minute walk to the Metro and then I take that home that last few stops. Montreal summers are so short... I'm trying to make myself find reasons to just stay out in the humidity... needless to say I've booked the next three weeks full of bbq's and pool partys... at least this will make me feel I grabbed some summer and was grateful for the shortest season of the year

:D

gogo

'Normal' summers normally have the result that our only water supply, a well, is close to drying out. But currently it is full, and as a volunteer fire fighter I was called several times to pump out cellars in the valley.

With the permanent rain , the stormy winds and the temperatures around 20C at max ... it is more like autumn. It are summer breaks so each day for the kids start with a look at the hourly weather predict for the region. Sunday morning we did a canoe tour at cloudy but not rainy weather. We started in Wetzlar where my mother lives. We followed the Lahn river to Weilburg with its historical ship tunnel which we travelled with the canoes. A burst of rain was used to have lunch, then 3 hours of no rain to visit an animal park specialized in old local animals. They are re-breeding died out animals like aurochs. Also they have European bison, tarpans, lynx, wolves, ...

Some evening meal there and then visiting a nearby crystal cave while it was raining again. But we didn't noticed it deep underground.

This summer is not easy for the kids, normally it is swimming at the nearby lake, but without sun you have to be creative.

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

We might have gotten just a bit of rain overnight. We rarely have any major flooding (other than parking lots/roads) since we don't have any 'real' rivers and the ground is mostly porous soil. Erosion can be a serious issue though. Though mostly that occurs from the ocean waves. A good Nor'Easter can cleave hundreds of feet of shoreline.

Last night we had some erosion due to the 6-7 inches we got in a short period Friday night into Saturday morning. This happened at a beach near me.

post-373-0-42541300-1503173970_thumb.jpg

We might have gotten just a bit of rain overnight. We rarely have any major flooding (other than parking lots/roads) since we don't have any 'real' rivers and the ground is mostly porous soil. Erosion can be a serious issue though. Though mostly that occurs from the ocean waves. A good Nor'Easter can cleave hundreds of feet of shoreline.

Last night we had some erosion due to the 6-7 inches we got in a short period Friday night into Saturday morning. This happened at a beach near me.

holee moleee ... how do you get something that out>? Hope everyone was okay?

:o

gogo

AFAIK the car was empty when it got washed out toward the ocean. As far as getting it out, they simply attached a chain and winched it out with a regular tow truck. There's a video of it somewhere but pretty boring and anti-climatic :)

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Guess Hurricane...err...Tropical Storm Jose (by the time it gets to me) will be an uninvited guest for a couple days next week. Some forecasts even have it looping back to potentially hit us a 2nd time. While by no means am I comparing it to Harvey or Irma (Texas and Florida/Lesser Antilles got pummeled), it's something I really don't need right now. More than likely my basement will get flooded as I live very close to the beach and have wetlands/marsh surrounding the backisde of my house. In many ways it will be like a nasty Nor'easter and we're used to them.

Still trying to get an accurate forecast on storm surge but have heard anything from 1-3 feet to 5-8 feet. 5-8 feet would be really really bad. 1-3 feet I can handle...my sump pump should handle that. Anything more and my basement will flood. That and I'm sure the winds will knock several antennas down....and I am just too busy now to deal with that. And since most of my customers are Police, Fire, Ambulance/Emergency Orgs and big utilities, everyone will want theirs fixed 1st. So no matter what I do I will have some very unhappy customers. I foresee 20 hour work days for at least a couple weeks and that's if I can get all the replacements ordered and delivered overnight. And with Harvey and Irma recently I don't have high hopes of that. Many antennas are custom built and the manufacturers don't have the man power to deal with a high demand all at once. We do have several sub-contractors we can call but they will be getting calls from all their other contacts too.

Should be a lot of fun......NOT!

But if my new pc I ordered gets delayed then I will really be mad....supposed to get here on the 20th...the day after Jose...and I'm sure something will happen...something bad :(

. Kidding of course....just as long as no one dies everything else can be replaced.

• Like! 1
On 9/16/2017 at 4:58 AM, Delta! said:

Was warmish weather in George where we are visiting my mother and oldest sister. But the last 5days has been cooler and then last night it started raining and is still raining. Thank goodness. South Africa has serious drought problems and it has not rained very much this winter. There are water restrictions across the country, and even then the government is saying we might not have enough water for summer.

are you now then Singing in the Rain!

:dance:

gogo

On 9/16/2017 at 6:40 AM, Excelsior said:

That's a tough situation...  I'm glad you're finally getting some rain!  Here's to hoping it STAYS raining for a long time so you have all the water you need.

O'er here in ye old Pennsylvania, it just stopped raining.  That's good news, since I have a picnic to go to...  who's up for some soggy rain sandwiches?! :wow:

Hola on the picnic. we had terrific weather his weekend.  PIcnics... ahhhh, I gotta get me some picnic! We actually have a festival here called picnic electronic, every sunday... folks come out from bards and all nighters and dance all day long under the sun..

grooooooooooooovy

groovy-baby-38mm.jpg?w=264&h=264

:dance:

gogo

11 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Guess Hurricane...err...Tropical Storm Jose (by the time it gets to me) will be an uninvited guest for a couple days next week. Some forecasts even have it looping back to potentially hit us a 2nd time. While by no means am I comparing it to Harvey or Irma (Texas and Florida/Lesser Antilles got pummeled), it's something I really don't need right now. More than likely my basement will get flooded as I live very close to the beach and have wetlands/marsh surrounding the backisde of my house. In many ways it will be like a nasty Nor'easter and we're used to them.

Still trying to get an accurate forecast on storm surge but have heard anything from 1-3 feet to 5-8 feet. 5-8 feet would be really really bad. 1-3 feet I can handle...my sump pump should handle that. Anything more and my basement will flood. That and I'm sure the winds will knock several antennas down....and I am just too busy now to deal with that. And since most of my customers are Police, Fire, Ambulance/Emergency Orgs and big utilities, everyone will want theirs fixed 1st. So no matter what I do I will have some very unhappy customers. I foresee 20 hour work days for at least a couple weeks and that's if I can get all the replacements ordered and delivered overnight. And with Harvey and Irma recently I don't have high hopes of that. Many antennas are custom built and the manufacturers don't have the man power to deal with a high demand all at once. We do have several sub-contractors we can call but they will be getting calls from all their other contacts too.

Should be a lot of fun......NOT!

But if my new pc I ordered gets delayed then I will really be mad....supposed to get here on the 20th...the day after Jose...and I'm sure something will happen...something bad :(

. Kidding of course....just as long as no one dies everything else can be replaced.

a 20 hour work day is tortoruous... make sure to sleep a solid four hours when you can sir! :hugs: 

And... did someone say new comp:) :drool:

What kind of graphics card is in the world^^

:D

gogo

Well to go completely off-topic...my old pc was awesome back when I built it back around 2008....Every year got a little less awesome...and now it's like a car that on any given day can only go 30 mph, or 60, or 90, or 15, or 80...it's completely random (and very frustrating). Makes streaming eventful....Netflix on HD is a test of your luck...somedays it's good, somedays it never loads.

So since I got a nice profit-sharing check recently (totally unexpected as it's usually end of year) I decided to spoil myself. And that is GtX 1080's as in more than 1...Was going to build my own but with liquid cooling I didn't feel like learning/dealing with that so went with pretty much the best Alienware has to offer. So dual SSD's in a Raid array with a 1TB Western Digital HD for storage. 2 GFX cards in SLI,  32gig of RAM. Only thing I didn't go for was new monitors. The 2 I got are more than fine, though they are not 4K capable. So maybe I'll get them near XMAS.

Oh on the weather front...talkling 20 foot seas off shore but only 1-4 feet of storm surge where I'm at,  so I'm good as long as I don't lose power. Went under a T.S. Warining this morning and just got back from work and hauled all the lawn furniture and stufff inside. So I should be good to go. Supposedly I'm scheduled to install an antenna at a tower site tomorrow am, but not sure if that's gonna happen. Sub-contractor helping out is a notorious late starter and we don't climb once surface winds reach 20 MPH. And they are forecast to reach that early afternoon.

29 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

*gasp*...lol am I the only one suffering...

:4rofl:

wow...u guys... .!

:coffeecup:

gogo

No... my graphics card is outdated too

its supposed to be this classy next-gen nvidia processor, but reds look like swampy oranges.  What exactly went wrong...?

man, oh man, guys... tropical weather almost these last three days, and the weekend up in the country was just outstanding for my nephew's birthday... 

enjoying every moment possible outside... !

:cool:

gogo

• Like! 1