Sacred 2 Art - Tomi

lol, Tomi, they're great...never knew you could draw :)

And now, you've got your own topic for peeps to gratz you.

Well done

:P

gogo

p.s. only thing you're missing is a mustache :D

Hahaha I can't draw.

Ahh damn maybe next time. :) Or I'll edit it.

Tried the other kobold. lol Looks horrible.

I hope I'll collect some info of how to draw. :D

Umm, Tomi? I thought you said you couldn't draw:) lol. Those are really quite good for someone who says he can't draw. :) Really, they are nice. I like Erling's suggestion to add some shading but don't try to make it "perfect". Just do it the same way you made the drawing. Do whatever feels right and see what happens. :D

Here's a link I just got from google that may be of interest to you Tomi. The google words I searched was draw shading

Drawing Techniques

Cheers dude. Lookin forward to more!

Nice ones. Lol, I started to think about response to this thread before I finished to read first one :D

As said Erling, some shading for make the kobold alive (looks good now, I wish it'll be look better :4rofl: ).

And as said Schot, no need to do it perfect.

Yep, much better.

Shading really does seem to be key huh?

Good job

:badbad:

gogo

p.s. Tomi, perhaps consider getting a photobucket account? With Bucket accounts, you can do thumnails for your pics. This would probably help a lot for our members that don't have broad band...your art topic would load faster, and they could then click on the images to get the full size :P

Ah very nice tomi! It's amazing how much a bit of shading can do. The goblin dude looks "filled" out now. There's some weight and presence about him which makes him seem to have more of a body. Hope that made some sort of sense.

Now that you have filled him out you might consider applying a 3D light source to cast upon him in order to create a more life like shading and high lights. This is very hard for me to do but I'll explain how I imagine it for myself.

What I would suggest is to imagine your goblin in a 3D environment as opposed to looking at him on a flat piece of paper. First imagine him in a room, like the largest room in your home but whith no furniture. Get a sense of him being in a 3D environment. Now turn a light on. From there see how the light affects your goblin. It could be any sort of light that you turn on mind you. Could be a ceiling light, a tall floor lamp or even a very small lamp on the floor that casts it's light upward. Try to imagine how that light would look on your Goblin. If you ever need a reference you have only to look around you in real life. There's lots of them!

After that you could try seeing him in a life like "field of battle" frozen in time. Use the postition of the sun in this case to determine the lighting and shadows. This is particularly hard for me. I find that the larger the environment I am trying to see the harder it is to "hold" the vision.

Very often you will see that one side of a drawing will have shadow and the other will have highlights. Check out the below for an example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shading

Something that I've been doing a lot lately that you might want to do is really look at things around you. I mean reeeeaally look. Where sunglasses if you're studying people though, lol. I think we do take the subtle details for granted and don't give them much attention on average. Studying the fine details that define what can be seen will help to have an ability to draw out those details. :P

Ohh wow Thanks Schot. :)

My only problem (hope I haven't misunderstand anything) is that I can't show where the shadows are. I mean "can't picture" that there should be something.

Can you help? :P

Uuuuuhum. So maybe the fact, that my koblod is black everywhere can cause some troubles? lol

And what matter is to make a shadow behind (or next to) him and not only on his body?

And like his big nose's shadow should be on his face and should be as big as the nose itself?

Ok thanks I'll try to do something with it. Maybe I should edit it. Clear down the black everywhere.

Hope I wont make it worse. :P

Hmmmm, you'll need a reference to look at then. Lets see what I got. Have a look at the goblin video from Ascaron and see if that can help you get some ideas. In this example there is more then one light source but there is one primary light source. The light source that is casting the Goblin's shadow which is coming from the right side, (our right side of screen/Goblin's left side). Have a good look at the shading in the video on the Goblin and see if you can copy it a bit.

Notice on the video Goblin that light and shadow are applied to each body part almost as if they are independent. For example his arms, legs, body and head each have their own highlight and shadow. Generally you will see that on each body part you have shadow on the left and light on the right, (from our perspective). An exception to the rule is that the left side leg has a bit of highlight inside the shadow. This is from a weak "other light source that is coming from the left side of the screen. You can ignore it for your drawing or try to use it. All up to you. I would suggest you only use the primary light source.

So try to apply the light and shadow that you see on the below goblin on your own. Not exactly as it is in the video though. The important thing is where the light is coming from. Basically make one side darker than the other.

Remember that part about body parts that seem to have their own light and dark sides? You will find this happening even on much smaller things like a nose or the horns of a helmet.

Give it a try tomi. What you did when you first started your goblin was the best strategy to use. You just did it, haha. It's the best way to do things when you have no idea. How do you think the forum here got built? lol.

• 1 month later...

I dont think he would need to erase any of his shadings at all.. For a goblin, you want him to have a darker, dirty look anyways! What I would suggest doing, for the shadows, is to.. take a flashlight. Go into your bathroom and turn off the lights, then shine the flashlight onto one side of your face. YOu will see that the shadows are darkest on one side of your nose, or on the cheek bone of the side opposite light. These are the areas that you will need to shade darker, to give the goblin a more realistic feel.

The whole point of this whole "light-shading-thing" is to give the person observing your artwork a feel for the environment around the goblin. He should be able to tell where the light is coming from.

• 1 year later...

The sketches are really scary and good. But I want to suggest you some missing points in your sketches. These three pictures looks very similar as if the sketches are presented from different angles. So you can highlight more. Reduce some roughness in th sketches. It would be so good that if you use color pencils .

Edited by rooshidavid