Requiem Bloodymare Templar Skills

:woot: looking forward to partying up with you guys :)

I wanted to play a bit during my lunch break, but thanks to my ISP I’m temporarily on dial up, so I’m going to entertain myself by sharing my thoughts about the templar class. Next step will be doing housework just to postpone studying. I’m hoping for some input on the aspects I find mind-puzzling.

I planned to focus primarily on healing/support with just enough destructive powers to allow some soloing. But as of now it’s still very possible that we’re going to get wiped, so I decided not to build a perfectly specialized toon, and I may as well try some of the nifty offensive spells.

It seems that a twentysomething level templar can still solo surprisingly well, with some patience and your excellent crowd control skills you can take on any regular mob.

Healing is very cheap, offensive spells on the other hand eat up your mana quickly. For this I tend to focus of MND when it comes to choosing my equipment, leaving the otherwise tempting, damage boosting INT a secondary concern. MND adds to your MP, boosts your healing spells, and its best and often overlooked effect: it adds to the critical chance of your spells. Neat.

Wand or staff: I don’t have a strong preference here, I use whichever has better stats. Wand with a shield adds a blocking chance and more “reinforcement sockets”. Staves offer way better stats for MND than wands+shields and also higher melee damage. You may wonder why melee damage is a concern: when a mob has very little health left, I usually want to beat them to a pulp to conserve mana. Staves make it a lot easier.

Now for the skills

Elec Bolt: Offers medium damage, not comparable to the shaman’s fireball, but it is your bread and butter. You should keep it maxed all the time or until you find another offensive spell that better suits your needs.

Electric Twister: Picked it up after realizing that it is the only offensive skill with a DNA available to boost its damage. Results: Area of Effect effect, which is always a big plus for me, better damage, higher mana cost. However while you’re sitting like a duck surrounded by the mob you take heavy damage – not that it would be a huge problem, as you can easily heal yourself, but it adds additional mana cost which I planned to avoid. After some testing I’ve come to think that sniping/kiting with your Elec Bolt may be more time- and mana efficient. I can see that using Electric Twister along with some other Area of Effect spell (templar/tempest has plenty of those) can turn your toon into a mean Area of Effect machine, but sadly I’ve heard rumours that dots do not stack, they simply overwrite each other. With only one Area of Effect spell available for me at this point, I’m waiting for confirmation on this one.

Concentration: Don’t know about this one, it Increases your MP recovery, which is of course crucial. At level 3 with DNA it adds only a single point to my MP regen. As its % based it’ll probably start to shine later on (at lvl5 with DNA it adds +25% to your regen) , but right now it seems pretty useless. Considering that I’ve never ever run out of mana when continuously healing/buffing an 8 member party, concentration may not be of much use for a pure healer. Though it’s probably too early to tell. :woot:

Sleep: My current favourite skill, it makes soloing a lot easier. At lvl2 it becomes an Area of Effect spell and ticks for 7 sec. Mobs remain asleep while you blast them into bits with your elec bolt. Melee damage or anyone else attacking wakes them up, so it’s not party friendly but a true life saver for soloing.

edit:

only melee damage wakes up the mobs, party members can freely inflict damage with spells

Godly Mirror: it’s still very low to make a difference, but if it works as it is intended, it may very well be one of your most useful skills. Basically you can end up having 70% chance of reflecting 70% of the damage you take. It is huge, especially given how defense works ( 10 points of def decreases the damage you take by one point) As I see it, the higher the damage the mobs inflict, the better Godly Mirror gets compared to defense.

Survival Instinct: passive skill that adds to your def, better to have than not I guess, but wont I spend many points on this one

Divine Protection: target spell, increases defense, good to have as a support character. Unfortunately its not available until lvl20 and it doesn’t stack with ion shield, practically making the latter redundant. And you’re pretty much forced to take ion shield at lvl10-12, unless you plan to focus on melee. In that case you can take Holy Strike instead.

Salvation: resurrects, don’t suppose it’s worth to invest more than one point here

Rejuvenation: comes very handy for self-healing, cheap and instant cast. At lvl2 right now, I’m not planning to increase it any further.

Lesser Heal : no brainer for a healer. Found the DNA that reduces its casting time to be quite handy.

Lesser Party Heal: seems useful too

And that’s about it so far. I’ve found playing the templar to be quite a rollercoaster, frustratingly hard at some points but a few levels later it all evens out as you grab some neat skills. You can survive those difficult levels by leeching xp in a party. :)

Btw, does anybody else feel that magic damage hurts a lot? Is there a way to increase your resistance? As I understand defense doesn’t help here. I think youre resistance increases naturally but painfully slowly. I see a fireball coming my way and I’m already smashing my healing key. ;)

Edited by enci

Excellent writeup. In fact, you mirrored almost exactly my feelings about the spells in the game for the Templar. (hope you don't mind I stuck it on it's own thread so we can get to your reference easier :))

My feeling concerning the twister was EXACTLY that. That it's too much of a mana drainer, and... the templar can do some great damage with his buffs when he closes in with melee while softening em up with his electro bolt before and during. The bolt is incredible. It has great damage, HUGE range, amazing regen... I'm addicted to using it. So much in fact, that I opted not to take the twister when it was offered and choose level three bolt and the divine protection. The bolt, in fact, when I'd hit level twenty just late last night was givinig me 83 points of damage a hit... things go down very fast ^^ specially after I close in.

It's sort of sad that the divine and ion don't stack...but it cleared up with the forty percent boost to def, a dna slot... and you know how hefty socketing dna is... Schot says that slot number five is a cool one MILLION :woot:

REgarding sleep...wow, I thought that the moment we attacked something it woke up... you're saying you can use this and then we ourselves can do the attack WHILE they're sleeping? That's a boon.

And...I think I'm a wand and shielder. I do love the the extra upgrading options available from two sides...and *cough*....sigh...lol, I think I'm a gambler :woot:

And, lol... I opted for a high int build. I just can't get enough of seeing the damage of consistent hits...but I must say with mind doing, as you say, critical damage...maybe I'll do a better balance this way with my new toon in the second server.

Question... Enci what level did you take your highest level templar to?

:)

gogo

REgarding sleep...wow, I thought that the moment we attacked something it woke up... you're saying you can use this and then we ourselves can do the attack WHILE they're sleeping? That's a boon.

Sleep is powerful indeed, even with the lv1 spell, you can have 4 clear hits with your bolt before mobs wake up. Just remember to back away a bit to get out of melee range because autoattack wakes them up. You're untouchable vs single mobs

And, lol... I opted for a high int build. I just can't get enough of seeing the damage of consistent hits...but I must say with mind doing, as you say, critical damage...maybe I'll do a better balance this way with my new toon in the second server.

I think Im going to wait with INT until I find a skill with major destructive powers. I used to love my Elec Bolt, until... until I tried the shaman’s fireball ...Shoot FB... FB again... start running ... oO...its already dead

Question... Enci what level did you take your highest level templar to?

About lvl24 iirc, she’s temporarily parked, Im trying out other classes right now, and while she hasn’t been the easiest to play, she’s still my favourite :P

Excellent summary enci! :D

Made me realize that I have no clue what and why I picked my skills for my warrior :P

Btw, does anybody else feel that magic damage hurts a lot? Is there a way to increase your resistance? As I understand defense doesn’t help here. I think youre resistance increases naturally but painfully slowly. I see a fireball coming my way and I’m already smashing my healing key. :mafia:

This is what I found browsing the forums:

Resistance seems to increase with some skills, class specific and every few

levels, here are the one known so far.

- Lv.1 to X = 3%

- Lv.X to X = 4%

- Lv.12(or less) to 20 = 5%

- Lv.21 to 27+ = 6%

- Lv.XX to XX = 7%

- Lv.XX to XX = 8%

- Lv.XX to XX = 9%

- Lv.XX to XX = 10%

It from the CB guide so no clue if its valid anymore in OB. Read more here http://www.playrequiem.com/forum/forums/th...ew.asp?tid=3210

Edited by ganto

I'd like to know if anyone has stuff to say about this? I got my toon to level twenty late two nights ago.... I gotta say... the templar is VERY fun to play. Enci, I know that you said the shaman has a more powerful fireball...lately I've been into powerful ranged attacks... my gut feel is that the shaman's fireball, while it may have more damage... may trade out functionalities, such as... travel speed of the fireball, range, larger mana use... and melee?

Am I right about this? I'll take up the shaman to at least level fifteen, to see how it drives...but I just read in another post of yours how much fun the templar was to play... to which I absolutely agree.

What do you guys think?

I'll be honest and say that the shaman's magic is astoundingly beautiful to look at... and that CA sound effect...I gotta go south, I gotta go south..lol... that lone has got me wanting to try out the spells!

My important question is... do you guys think the while the templar could have lesser upper end damage from the electric bolt... it's efficiency with a lower damage cap could be better than the shamans?

:P

gogo

Here’s a comparison for the lvl1-5 spells

Elec Bolt
Damage 28 37 50 66 84   MP Consumption 21 26 33 38 49

Fireball
Damage 34 45 61 81 103 MP Consumption 23 29 37 43 54

So while fireball indeed cost more mana, the higher damage more than compensates for all this, and remember that Fireball also has a DNA to boost damage even further which the Elec Bolt lacks.

Havent noticed any discernible difference in speed or range. Im still voting for the fireball. HIgher dam – fewer hits needed – more mana efficient (even though it costs more per cast , I definitely needed to rest less while playing the shaman)

I dont think a templar can be a more efficient than a shaman under any circumstances. At least not until lvl50. The tempest class seem to have Area of Effect spells with insanely hgh damage, problem is we dont know much about the 2nd class skills yet, and shamans probably have even better late game skills.

Edited my brainfart about the MND attribute int he first post, it adds to the MP ofc

Edit:

2nd class skills from the korean site

Templar/Tempest

Shaman/Forsaker

Edited by enci
  • 2 weeks later...

Interesting. Enci, you took out Mnd as a mod for crit...but higher mod does affect skill crit chance, doesn't it? I'm sure I've tested for that, and everytime I added more mind, the crit for skill percentage increased.

:P

gogo

Interesting indeed, did some testing in the last days of the betat oo, and found that while INT definitely increased crit, MND made no difference. Not so easy to tell, Ive never come across an item with MND stats that didnt have INT modifiers too :hugs:

and because I can, here’s the build I was playing in the beta :hugs:

added higher levels of concentration for late game only, because early on it doesnt really make a difference, and Ive never ever run out of mana while healing anyway. They may be swapped for some buff even. With no HP recovery in combat mode, Invigoration can be passed entirely, yay for more skills points to spare

I could have been lucky with the shaman...I only started paying attention to that stat after your first writeup about Mind earlier on. I think I'm remembering I did tests with an earing I found for the Shaman that allowed me to see ups and downs with the crit for skill mod... I'm looking forward to running some real tests when I get the game going again.

Thank link to the calculator...amazing. Both you guys are awesome, this is a definite plus for the Requiem game, I know I'll certainly be using it :hugs:

Good job

:hugs:

gogo

Godly Mirror: it’s still very low to make a difference, but if it works as it is intended, it may very well be one of your most useful skills. Basically you can end up having 70% chance of reflecting 70% of the damage you take. It is huge, especially given how defense works ( 10 points of def decreases the damage you take by one point) As I see it, the higher the damage the mobs inflict, the better Godly Mirror gets compared to defense.

Had my doubts about this skill at the end of the beta, as it didnt seem to do anything, but finally I remembered to test it and surpising as it may seem, Godly Mirror actually does work. It just reflects damage without any message

with GM lv2, reflecting 40% of damage

Libeshal hits you for 51 damage
Libeshal hits you for 51 damage
You hit Libeshal for 20 damage
Libeshal hits you for 31 damage

(from the combat log)

better yet, you reflect the damage before you take any, so its possible to kill the mob and not take damage from its last hit :)

the similar skill of Shamans probably works the same

• 3 weeks later...

The beta build is only viable until lv40, I was just throwing in skills randomly after that anyway, and now in the 40s, Im starting to feel that playing full support is a pain.

Musings of a would-be radiant templar...

Elec bolt becomes obsolete in the 40s, and leaves the healer with some questions… How can you solo? or How can you contribute in a small grind party? While I could level in the late 20s by some questing and running RoL despite its mediocre xp, now there’s some serious grinding to be done.

So what are the options?

The completely awesome Sleep just screams for Area of Effect damage, and I was curious what Glaring Light can do. Alright, its a Tempest spell, available only up to lv3 for Templars/Radiants. And in all honesty, at that level it's kinda like my character, it looks pretty but not very effective when it comes to killing. Especially when you don’t prioritize INT.

Next option I’m playing with is melee. Now even if you have the self preservation instincts of a lemming, going melee with the lowest HP class of the game doesn’t look like a particularly bright idea. Yet it seems to be better than any mediocre damage spells available to healers. And you have Godly Mirror on your side, providing you 65% chance of surviving every hit, and better and better damage as the mobs are hitting harder. Still musing on what melee skills to pick. Blunt strike stuns, which is always nice… Weapon of God though only rank 1 is available is party friendly…

Problems Im encountering here

Surviving the hits you take for one. I’m thinking of throwing in a few more points for Rejuvenation though I’m not completely convinced that the 45 HP regen (with DNA, not that I could afford it) will save me in the long run. And while I reinforced a considerable amount of HP, there’s no way I can melee say nightmares, which already hit for 700+ dam.

It somewhat renders a high level Sleep useless. Yet I don’t feel investing in sleep was a waste. Though a lv2 Sleep would be enough for a support toon, the added extra seconds and better range of a higher Sleep saves my life all the time. Great for crowd control when mobbed.

I use a staff as its better for healing (more MND), so switching to a one handed bludgeon is problematic because I have to equip a shield too

As for other skill choices…

I still find the lv5 lesser heal to be a good choice. With the swift lesser heal DNA, it has a casting time of 0,5 sec, making great to spam and it also acts as my panic button

Lv5 lesser party heal on the other hand is a waste. It’s convenient to have, but usually only the tank needs healing, so once the moderate heal comes in at lv40, you can alternate lesser heal and moderate heal.

Thanks to the MND I keep socketing, both my mana pool and regen are fine at this point, so more concentration isn’t really needed (only at lv2 atm), may put spare points into the party friendly Blessed Revelation. When Mana Shield comes in, I will probaly need more regen anyway.

Edited by enci

really nice post, well im still thinking about the concentration, I have it level 3, Perhaps I shall max it, since I'm trying to build some kind of offensive build, and I run out of mana pretty fast, it may not be necessary with Blessed of revelation, but I still dont know, I think that will be the only buff that I'll take, you may not need to max concen, 'cause you're a healer and u have all the mind that u can >.< so your mp recovery is faster, I still dont know if the build that I wanna make will be good, I just hope it'll :/

I have a page with SP calculator but maybe u have one even better ;P