Booyah Hosting upgrades DarkMatters Servers... Stronger, Faster!

Give it some time I guess, Mom..I talked to the hoster...he said that in some cases, propogation can take up to a week...specially in areas that don't have highest level of internet connectivity

:drinks:

gogo

.specially in areas that don't have highest level of internet connectivity

:drinks:

gogo

I think that might describe where I live *lol* where the only real local wi fi hotspot is McD's (mos residents dont know what that is) and there are still major dead zones for cell phone coverage .... and I have to drive less than 5 minutes to find cows on a farm and for sheep I can walk and see some...

I live in the country *rotfl*...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gogo,

Dawn, Evil and I have been having sporatic intermitant problems getting onto the forums. Yesterday I couldn't even find the site today Dawn couldn't. Is there an email address for you or Schot to get a hold of you when we have problems?

Thanks Todd

I had problems again tonight. 5 out of 6 tries to load darkmatters came up with a roadrunner (my provider) message that it could not find the domain darkmatters.org and the page gave several alternate suggestions for the url. Not the booyah msg of 2 weeks ago. And lord had problems yesterday getting it to load.

Your provider said propogation would take a week. its been close to 3 and Evil even with a reboot and resetting his router STILL cant get into the forums today.

Its very frustrating to play this crap shoot every day of IF the site will load or even be found. It works fine one day or one hour and the next its like darkmatters doesnt exist.

Is your provider still migrating things?

Are they having tech problems?

I doubt its my system or my provider if it worked fine at 6pm but at 10pm it doesnt work and I havent even rebooted my system much less changed any settings.

darkmatters.org loads, www.darkmatters.org does not

I pinged darkmatters.org and got an ip of 69.80.241.91 which does not load the forums, but apparently your interface to the site (lots of links for domain name tranfers fer, tickets, and payments)

I pinged www.darkmatters.org and it couldnt find it. , it instead pinged my provider roadrunner

Just a bit frustrated here since it seems no one else is having problems getting here ....

Edited by Genenut

Finally after all day of trying I got on the forum reset my home net work 3 times now blah and each time it cleared my dns cache and I also checked with my isp no dsp probs there this is strange

Awh guys. I'm so sorry you're having this trouble. I can imagine the frustration. :P

I've just learned that not only does the DNS need to propogate for your own ISP but it also needs to propogate for "gates" that you bounce off of while traveling to darkmatters. When browsing to FDM you're likely to be hopping from about 5 gates. More to that is that the path you take and gates you pass through can change from day to day. Perhaps even from visit to visit. It could be that one of those gates you sometimes pass through has yet to propogate. I'm afraid in that event there isn't anything we can do but I'll be sure to contact our provider and see if there might be some other cause.

Hang tight you guys!

what you can try is to find yourself another DNS server to use (this is what iam doing myself when I cant find darkmatters)

there is tons and tons of free DNS servers out there one of them is http://www.everydns.net/ which is a ok one (after what I hear)

another way to find reliable DNS servers are to have a look at other ISPs website normaly under support They might have locked the servers to there IP range but a lot of them has not done this :badbad:

you can change your DNS here

Network Connections > Properties (first picture) > Local Area Connection > Properties (second picture) > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties (third picture) General

iam guessing most of you will have "Obtein DNS server adress automatically" selected (fourth picture)

Just click on "Use the following DNS server adress" and type in the new adress (IP)

(if you do have a IP no typed in here already remember to write it down before you change it) :(

no reboot are needen to change the DNS server(s) :)

hope this can be a emergency solution for some of you until the DNS servers around are updated :)

dns1.gif

dns2.gif

dns3.gif

dns4.gif

Thanx for supplying the info bhj and watching over things. :badbad:

Well! I can't believe I was locked out for so long. Let me tell you this has been a learning experience and can now very much relate to the DNS frustrations abound. I think it's very likely that we'll be going through a second round of propagation due to some errr... Unforeseen changes. That is to say we have been unknowingly moved to a new server for a second time. Rest assured that we will be looking into how this all happened as it has been an unsettling experience.

We'll be looking into alternative surfing routes to FDM while the propagation takes place so that folks won't have to suffer the waiting game a second time around. I can't make any promises on that but I will most definitely try to find a way.

It's good to be back!

Well, I don't think it's only the DNS and so on. (Really dunno anything technical >.<)

Anyways! I seem to be able to get onto the site at specific hours of the day.

between 1am - 11am I can log on without problems

Any other hour of the day, the site just don't exist >.<

GMT +1 for the info ^^

Im in for the moment. Neither home nor work could find FDM between 7:45am and 9pm (didnt try between 9 and 11pm when I finally did try and got in) I found FDM at 6am this morning though. Nothing changed on either my home or work computer.

I count on FDM to get me through the day, especially today when my boss chewed me out for not processing paperwork by month end that isnt created until 3-5 days after month end. Another department creates the paperwork, I just process it. And when I pointed that out I was told I make any excuse to not do something..... was about ready to kill my boss today. flipping midlife crisis divorcee ... get laid and lay off the rest of us.

But I hear ya on the withdrawal there knuckles.

Had my first round of problems here, too. I have 3 browsers - MSN, IE and Firefox. None worked, and all tried to switch to www.darkmatters.org. I think your host is having intermittent access problems, perhaps db related? In any case, the site seems to go AWOL sometimes, and that is when the problems are cropping up, I suspect. Here is the scenario I encountered:

Firefox and IE absolutely refused to try to serve anything but www version.

Then with MSN . . .

First, "Server not Found" error occurs, and MSN offers to search its cache . . .

. . . and finds the similar "www" page in its cache and offers to serve it to me. I suspect that many ISP may be doing the same or similar to speed things up; that is, serve the cached page while looking for a newer version.

In any case, there are a sh*tload of links out there pointing at the old location. Rather than just take it down, could you have your host put up a redirect page for a couple weeks or so? That would allow all the bots to cache the redirect and no one will be pointing at the old site anymore.

Oh boy, I never realized how much I needed a DarkMatters fix until I lost it for the day yesterday. I was frustrated, almost breaking things...and almost said a few nasty words (heck, I probably said them :D). Can you tell I missed you guys? Timo, that was amazing idea of putting the downtime over at the SIF. You really helped hold it together for us all, and I'm indebted. I understand, as some pms and msn pointed out to me, that there was a good number of peeps that were frustrated and felt "locked out". I hope you understand that I absolutley do understand what it was like, as knowing that the forum was still here, but unable to be accessed to us was not a good feeling. We were saved by knowing that a few of our mods were still able to access the site, and BHJ... stellar work with the writeups on alternate DNS routing, here, at SIF and at Taz.

My sincere apologies regarding this, and we'll try even harder in the future to make sure that down time like this is at least stated in advance...knowing about upcoming issues is a big part of feeling half decent about it when it happens. To all of you that have DarkMatters as home page, or can't get to it from different areas...Please hold out with us as the last bits of site propagation resolve over the last week. My msn is open, and to ANY of you that want it please shoot me a pm and I'll add you immediately.

It's amazing how through the toughest times like this, that the measure and mettle of the friends suporters we've had the honor of meeting here, at this site, over the last few years really shines.

Love you guys

Thank You

:hugs

gogo

Ehr... You guys really take things seriously here, dontcha?

I mean, come on, it's a website... If it doesn't go down every now and then, there's something severely wrong lol

j/k

How is everyone doing with the propogation. are there still peeps having problems finding us? If you can, could you please tell us if its from different locations?

We want to make sure everyone in the family is making their way home.

Cheers!

:4rofl:

gogo

p.s. hot chocolate, with fresh powdered cocoa for Lord :thumbsup: