What to take...what to take...XP, Vista... XP, Vista...

Vista, xp...Vista, xp...

I was doing some shopping yesterday online and on the phone... one guys offered me a choice of either xp or vista for my new system.

I'm going back and forth between the two.

It's very important that I be able to play Sacred 2 as best as possible. Is everyone here convinced that xp will do as good a job with Sacred 2 as Vista?

Or...am I keeping more options open for myself by taking Vista, even with all it's reported problems and it's talented ability to hog all resources, break all former media associations while putting cool, neat (being sarcastic here) animations on my desktop

Halp

:4rofl:

gogo

With a new system, capable of doing some gaming, it doesn't really matter. It will be powerful enough to run Sacred 2 and the relatively heavy Windows Vista.

The differences should only be minor, I think. However, XP still is the fastest of the two, and will cost you the least amount of trouble with drivers for older products etc.

Also, if you own a sound card and are looking for good ingame audio, XP still is the way to go. EAX is "disabled" in Vista, at least it doesn't work like it's supposed to because of new audio architecture. People used to get soundcards for some extra effects and a little less CPU load, but Vista makes your CPU work harder because it has to process audio input from a game (forgot the other format) to Direct3D sound (default in the architecture in XP) and then send it to your soundcard. Now, this is all relative and it will not have a big impact onyour gaming, but it's a strong point for XP.

However, as Ascaron already announced, they may be releasing some DX10 effects in one of the patches. THAT would require Vista....... :4rofl:

Edited by Timotheus
... as Ascaron already announced, they may be releasing some DX10 effects in one of the patches. THAT would require Vista

Grrr, I was also pricing new systems yesterday and was all set to get a new XP system. Now I may be forced to rethink. :4rofl:

From what I've heard, if you disable most of the eye-candy with Vista its response is almost as good as XP. Are there any Vista users out there that can verify that?

I don't want to horn in the man's business, but I heard that there are many problems with Vista. Like someone had always error reports while playing S1.

Hope you'll get answers.

Grrr, I was also pricing new systems yesterday and was all set to get a new XP system. Now I may be forced to rethink. :4rofl:

From what I've heard, if you disable most of the eye-candy with Vista its response is almost as good as XP. Are there any Vista users out there that can verify that?

I can not say anything or compare how Sacred will run on either one. But for my experience Vista is just another Windows Millennium edition (which was worst operating system in history). I have a laptop with 2gb memory on it. And it was hardly handling Vista's fancy animations out of the box. I use my laptop only for reading, so there are not a lot of programs or games installed on it. Still performance wasn't good enough.

Than I disable Vista Aero theme. Which makes huge difference on performance. Another related article

I also close every possible eye candy I could spot on desktop. Which gave me my 2gb memory back :)

Finally I disabled highly annoyance "User Account Control"

Here we are. Now my Vista works better and faster. No crashes so far. But like I said, I didn't push any limits on my laptop. I didn't play any games. If my laptop manufacturer had XP drivers on their site, I will install XP Pro with no hesitation.

Sorry, couldn't give you any opinion with your selection.

... Sorry, couldn't give you any opinion with your selection.

You didn't help with whether to get Vista or XP but you did verify that Vista runs better without all the eye-candy.

Thanks!

Just went shopping today oowah... and the store's still offering xp. I love xp, never had a problem with it, and for everything I think I still want to do... It's still perfect.

I think I'm going to stick it out with xp for this next purchase, and see what happens.

Great writeup, all you guys here. I never expected this kind of great insight. You really helped me feel more comfortable with my decision.

Thank you

:whistle:

gogo

Hmmm... XP? Vista? Windows 7:)

Many have said that Vista is the latest soon to be forgotten OS and the schedule for Windows 7 was slated for a release in 3 years according to an article posted in July of last year.

I dunno but I'm kinda thinking I'm just gonna wait it out for Windows 7. There are of course TONS of other articles about Windows 7 all over the net.

I'm with you (and probably everyone else :whistle:) on the XP>VISTA gogo. I've kept the image of my OEM Vista on dvd, but I see no reason for switching back again.

DX10? Oh, come on. DX9 is giving me all the visuals I need, and who needs a shiny OS interface with the Royale desktoptheme available for XP, and icon docks.

And yeah, Windows 7 is something I'm very curious about as well.

But I'd still have a dual-boot with XP to game on; all the older games probably won't work anymore, since Windows 7 is rumoured to dump all backwards compatibility....

Edited by Timotheus

See, that's exactly it Timo. I really care nothing for all the fancy desktop visuals. And I've read horror stories about how vista make media associations on our comp very difficult. I just want a good engine. Something dependable, and fastest possible. Your words on xp's speed v.s. vista did quite a number on me, lol. Now, I just want the best engine possible, and if xp can power Sacred 2 as best as possible, and I'm pretty much here for that game, then it looks like xp, which is cheaper, is definitely going to fit my needs. lol, maybe I can hold out with xp will the new version of windows arrives...

:whistle:

gogo

I still think Windows 2000 is the best Windows ever. Wish they still supported it. I can tolerate XP, but I really like 2000. Have no experience with Vista yet, but I expect that will be the de facto by the time I can afford a new system.

I'd personally stick with XP as long as possible... There are a few people around me that bought new PCs lately that have Vista loaded and most of them are gamers. ALL of them are complaining about Vista in one form or another. So do I want to add my name to the list of complainers or do I think I'm special and won't run into any problems :) I don't think so.

Two of my best friends are hard-core Microsoft-haters and run Linux. One of 'em only has windows xp loaded just to play Sacred, and you should hear that guy complain whenever windows fires up... (or goes up in flames rather) - But I think he's a special case, 'cause I've never seen an XP OS misbehave like that ! :whistle:

I'll stick whit XP. And partly because of that, I had to build my new PC from pieces as all new PC's come whit Vista and I just don't want to bother to even try it out. Seen how it asks permissions to do anything on my friends laptop and I just don't feel like it's any good.

And by the way.. that friend of mine installed Xp not so long time ago. Asked him why did he want to change it back to XP, he just said just for fun. But I think there was some reasons.. why would anyone change OS just for fun if the current OS works allright? Now he really tries to seek flaws on XP so I wouldn't be able to find out what was the main reason for changing it back. Personaly, I would go mad if my PC would constantly ask me "do you want to give this action permission"..

hehe its much faster if I "list" the one good thing about vista (actually theres two things)

* as I dont like the way MS is developing windows. Vista makes them look soooooo bad (and they deserve it) :D

* the second good thing is DirectX 10 :D

ooooh and in case theres any doubts I say go for XP Pro :bow:

Without question, I think XP is the best choice.

And if I can't remember totally wrong I think there is possible to get DX10 on XP, just can't remember HOW -.-'

XP it is...gonna try and see if my old os will work on this new comp...if not, they're offering xp at the store I got my new comp at.

dx 10 on xp?

Sounds good...but will Sacred 2 take advantage of dx 10?

Also...how do we get that physics stuff going in Sacred 2... do we have to buy another card or something?

:devil:

gogo

Dx10 effects will not show in DX9(XP). However, at release, Sacred 2 propably will not feature Dx10. It may be added in a patch.

ActionTrip: By the time Sacred 2 comes out, DX10 and Vista will dominate the market. Have you been working on any DX10 features yet? How is the game shaping up visually?

Hans-Arno Wegner: At the moment the game is based on DX9, but full DX10 support is also being implemented. The Sacred 2 Engine will provide absolutely state of the art graphics.

(Source)

Gaming Heaven: Does the game support DX10? will it ever? What are your views on DX10 and any possible overheads?

SC2Team: DX 10 is extra work. We will support it but maybe no fully at release.

(Source) Edited by Timotheus

Nice quote. Thanks for the heads up Timo. Guess I can wait and see if I can afford Vista by then. sigh...that could be another five pounds lost for me you know.

And..*cough* may have to give up Poutine.

:devil:

gogo

We just bought a new comp.

When we buy comps we require a minimum of 5years usage

quadcore intel 2.5 ghz

nvidia 8800 gts

4gigs of ram

bluray/dvd drive

2 500gigs hardrives

and Vista

So far no problems vista and my xp comps are talking, and gaming has been amazing ( ran crysis with almost max settings)

Granted I'm not used to Vista, but so far its been fairly easy to figure out. Though I prefer XP ( I dislike change ) due to comfort issues.

Edited by Crunchie

I have a Vista home premium on my laptop and do not have a lot of complains .... except one .... its sucks!

its also a problem to connect to a network at work (using another computer there).

for business purposes xp still rules, no question about it.

haven't played a lot with vista, but had problems with performance so far (running 2.o Mhz, dual core, 2GB RAM) :(