32 bit software (old xp) on a 64 bit chipset motherboard... ideas?

Hey guys

We just started tinkering with the new comp last night, and we're having challenges or perhaps conflicts with the older os. Does anyone know outright whether a 32 bit xp can be used with a 64 bit mother board?

Any possible problems in the future?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

gogo

Err, yes, in my experience (my motherboard supports 64 bit, and I'm running 32 bit windows XP quite happily)

:thumbsup:

~Doom

I reckon the only thing that might cause trouble is trying it the other way round... :D

lol, yes that just might cause problems, especially with a 32 bit processor too

:P

~Doom

mean like how a fat32 formated drive wont work in a fat16 system (ie native win 95b hard drive has to be reformatted to work in win 95a) *lol*

or as someone on the military base found out with the base library computer while lord was stationed there, you cant install win 3.11 for workgroups on a system that has been upgraded to win95 (thought he could just install over it to put things back to win 3.11)

Thanks everyone! lol, once again, having you guys to bounce off always makes me feel like I'm doing something right. I was lucky and got an xp 64 pro...

Happy blender

:D

gogo

All the RAM being how much?

32Bit can read around 3.25 gigs of RAM.

64bit I believe is unlimited but requires the correct drivers to go beyond the 32Bit range.

:)

~Doom

Mobo drivers: go to ASUS.com.Go here select MOBO, chipset=AM2/AM2+, and your mobo (M3A). There you can download the latest drivers (chipset, audio and LAN). Be sure to get the XP 64bit versions. :)