New pc.....thoughts please

stubbie

Houston....we have a problem.

Okay, the story goes like this,

Ring up supplier on Thursday afternoon to see if all the parts have arrived. Yep he says except the hard drive, and he has no idea when it will arrive.

So I spend a couple of hours on the net searching for one local (I want to assemble the pc this weekend........sick of waiting :P )

Finally I found one about 40km's away......and $6 cheaper (cool...that will pay for the petrol)

So Friday morning I ring my original supplier and tell him I will be in later to pick up everything. I asked him to just recheck that he has all my stuff.

He checks and says yep....except for the hard drive (I knew that I said) AND the video card! :bow:

I says...you didn't say that yesterday!......oh he says that was another another salesman and he was mistaken verdammt.gif

Okay so when are you getting one?........I don't know, he says. Maybe next week!!

Need to cut story short:............... so I ended up getting a HIS brand card from my hard drive supplier instead.

Never heard of this brand before but searching on the net found that they seem to have a good name.

So get all the bits finally and here they are:

dscf2964fd4.th.jpg

and here's a close up of the video card:

dscf2965kv9.th.jpg

This card has some real serious cooling on it, and it weighs 800 grams according to our kitchen scales!

It looks very well made and I'm happy with the choice.

But here lies the problem..........see the two black 6 pin connectors at the back of the card.

Well this is standard for a HD4870 card.

But guess what?!...the Thermaltake Toughpower PSU only has two 6 pin connectors.

That's fine for one card........but Crossfire two of these cards you need four 6 pin connectors.

So after a lot of frantic Googling I come to the following conclusion.

I think I can use the Thermaltake PSU if I use some adaptors for the cabling but I an not happy about that.

Reason...that doesn't give me dedicated power from a 12V rail to the second card. It will have to share the load from what I can work out.

Now this may or may not be a problem.

Either way I am going back to the shop with the PSU this morning and see what they say (I havent even unpacked the PSU as I am just so confused now) .........meanwhile I cannot do anything with all my new goodies as I cant start building anything without a PSU. :blush:

Sorry for the very long post.

The main reason is to make others aware that when you Crossfire some cards you may require more than you realise.

Will report back later.

stubbs

Love these posts of craft of yours Stubbie. Don't have much to offer, since it looks like your machine is doing you great. You sound happy, and I love the pics and reading about your appreciation of the craftsmanship involved with the parts.

:P

gogo

Okey, since you asked me to tell you what I finally buy, I'll do as you asked.

After many many help here, in the forum by Timo, Schot and many else geniuses, finally I have the order.

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro

processor: Intel E8400

RAM: 2GB/800 2db

VGA: GainWard HD4870-512-TV-DD

HDD: 500GB Hitachi

House: Codegen E6099 (extra large lol)

Power supply: Minimun 750W

DVD-RW Asus

Monitor Novita 22”LCD 5ms 2205W

Actually not this is what we talked about, but there was the (friendly) guy in the shop, who looked so pro. I didnt have any offense against his ideas. So this I what I'll get. In my pc topic I said "New pc finally...soon though". Now I said that a month ago lol. Anyway I have my new pc ready in the shop since Thursday. We'll go for it on Monday. Actually Monday is sept. 1 which is officially the first day at school here. Lucky me! I get a new gaming pc for the beginning of the High School. Anyway I'm happy I'll finally get it.

P.S It costs 1550 Dollars. With everything (exept keyboard and mouse). And...if laters...the new games wont run, I can buy one more VGA. The same one. So I can play with 2 VGA cards weee. (also the 750W power supply dropped a lot (?) on the price).

Hope this helped! (If you want any changes...or for next time...and anyway you asked...a bit late, I know but blame my dad. :lol: )

Edited by tomi

Thanks for the update tomi :)

Looks like a very good build you have come up with :cool:

It is very similar to what I ended up with ;)

I didn't wait for your response before I bought something because I was too eager to buy something myself :blush:

You will be very happy with the HD4870 graphics tomi.

It is a brilliant card, though it does run a bit hot I have found.

Nothing drastic, but its preferable to have a good amount of air blowing over it.

I hope you have made sure that the power supply will handle 2xHD4870's in Crossfire.

I did a lot of research on this and those two cards do require a lot of power to run.

I hope you enjoy your new computer as much as I am (finally) enjoying mine tomi :heart:

stubbs

Ahh thanks Timo! :cool:

Well yes, in some ways similar... :heart:

How does yours run Requiem? Can you play it on max graphic options? Does it lag?

How do you mean runs hot? How did you find out? O.o

Anyway I hope that guy cared about everything. Also I'll have a 750W power supply. Should be far enough!

Though you have 850W right?

Good luck with everything! :blush:

Ahh thanks Timo! :)

Well yes, in some ways similar... :D

How does yours run Requiem? Can you play it on max graphic options? Does it lag?

Anyway I hope that guy cared about everything. Also I'll have a 750W power supply. Should be far enough!

Good luck with everything! :D

I don't know if you meant the above post to be directed at Timo or me :unsure: but if it was me then I can answer :)

My pc runs Requiem with graphics maxed out perfectly. :cool:

And how do I know the card runs hot?.......I put my finger over the air outlet for the card........its quite hot :D

but with saying that the whole system has a good air flow and is very quiet. :thumbsup:

And I did end up with a 850W PSU though its the amps per 12volt rail that is more important.

Just do a quick check on what amps your PSU can supply and you should be able to google if 2xHD4870's will be okay. ;)

stubbs

Ahh thanks Timo! :)

Well yes, in some ways similar... :D

Good luck with everything! :D

I don't know if you meant the above post to be directed at Timo or me :unsure: but if it was me then I can answer :)

My pc runs Requiem with graphics maxed out perfectly. :cool:

And how do I know the card runs hot?.......I put my finger over the air outlet for the card........its quite hot :D

but with saying that the whole system has a good air flow and is very quiet. :thumbsup:

And I did end up with a 850W PSU though its the amps per 12volt rail that is more important.

Just do a quick check on what amps your PSU can supply and you should be able to google if 2xHD4870's will be okay. ;)

stubbs

Stubbie, yer running requiem at max? Ain't it great? I just wish the user interface would get bigger when we go into 1600 x 1200.... everything's so microscopic...but the world and especially the toons look so beautiful.

;)

gogo

ooooooooo you should have seen how happy was when I'v read this:

My pc runs Requiem with graphics maxed out perfectly. :)

Aweeeesome! Requiem at max graphics options and no lag. :)

Ahh so that way! lol. Well the air outlet shouldnt be hot at every pc? Anyway Ill ask someone if mine will cool down enough the VGA-s.

:D

Nice machine there stubbie!

I wonder if I'll be able to run requiem at max, looking at the requirements it should be easy

:D

~Doom

Nice machine there stubbie!

I wonder if I'll be able to run requiem at max, looking at the requirements it should be easy

;)

~Doom

LOL easy? lol

But!...lol. How can it be easy? lol! Run it easily, now seriously!

lol

Because the recommended specs are low?

Lets see

AMD Athlon 2000+ I'm running a 6400+ X2

1GB RAM I'm running 4

GeForce 6600 I'm running a 9600

;)

~Doom