ABC-s around the world.

Hello everyone!

In this forum, you can find peeps from lots of country around the World. I thought, (to learn something new) we should compare our languages. We should take English as a "model". Let's not be too difficult, so we should check only the words.

So the question: In your language, which words match with the ones in English ABC, which you dont use, and what are the ones you use, but can not be found in English ABC.

Let's see. In Hungarian:

Matches:

A

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

I

J

K

L

M

N

O

P

Q

R

S

T

U

V

W

X

Y

Z

Only in Hungarian:

Á, Cs, Dz, Dzs, É, Gy, Í, Ly, Ny, Ó, Ö, Ő, Sz, Ty, Ú, Ü, Ű, Zs

Only in English:

None.

Looking forward to your ABC-s. :Just_Cuz_21:

Edited by tomi

In finnish language

Matches: from A to Z.

Letters that cannot be found on English, but can be found from swedish (atleast, I bet these letters are in many other languages too in baltic area): Å, Ä, Ö

Interesting fact: there isn't any "real" finnish word that would start whit Z or W and hardly any word includes these letters. Only seen W in use in some last names. Only know two words whit X on it and they are, Xsylofoni and Xylitoli. Don't know any word or name or anything that would use letter Z, but we still have it in our ABC's.. pretty funny I think. Also letter Å is really rare as it's mostly used in swedish language only.. but as swedish is our second official language (which maybe 10% people understands) it has to be in our ABC's.

in the Norwegian language

it matches English from A to Z and in addition we also have tree extra letter (Æ/æ, Ø/ø, Å/å)

but other then that its a huge difference between Norwegian and Finnish due to there Cyrillic (think its spelled like that :Just_Cuz_21: ) origin

Swedish and Danish and much closer to Norwegian with written Danish as the closest Its almost identical :hugs:

In Afrikaans,

Matches all in in English, plus a couple of combination vowels like OE (sounds like the O in "who"), EEU (sounds like EW in "phew"), OOI (sounds like OY in "ahoy") and many more. also a couple of others like ê, ë, ï, ô.

Afrikaans is more renowned to be a "kitchen language", origin is Dutch.

@Tomi, I'm interested in Cs, Dz, Dzs, Sz, and Zs. How are those used and pronounced ?

@bhj - dude, those look like Windows errors ! :Just_Cuz_21:

Interesting combinations!

I'll use your tactic:

Cs: Like "Ch" in "Chat" or "Church"

Dz: Cant find right now. But I'll edit if I do. :Just_Cuz_21:

Dzs: Like "j" in "Jam" or "Joke" or "genius" ("g")

Sz: Basically it's the "s". Like "secret". But when in Hungarian there's an "s" That is told like "ssssssssh!"

Zs: Cant find right now. But I'll edit if I do. :hugs:

Edited by tomi

Sooo...

Only in English: X, V, Q

Only in Polish: Ż ż, Ź ź, Ó ó, Ł ł, Ą ą, Ę ę, Ś ś, Ć ć, Ń ń, Dz dz, Dż dż, Dź dź, Sz sz, Cz cz, Rz rz

Maybe I forgot about something, there's a lot of those tongue-breaking letters.

Well, I can explain how to read only a few of them, if I'll use English words. Would be easier with some French though.

Ok. "ó" read like "o" in "who". To get it more funny there's also "u", and you read it identic as "ó". "Ó" as the first letter of the word is very rare, same as "ź", "ś", "ć", "dź" and "dż".

"ą", "ę" and "ń" are only in middle or at the end of word, never as 1st letter. "ą" and "ę" are rather hard to describe how to read em, but they are very similiar to some French letters. Also I can explain how to read "ś", "ć", "ź" and "ń". Maybe it's something like "si" in "simple" etc, but not quite. "c" read like "rz" in "Schwarzenegger" or so. Lol, what an example. "sz" like "sh", but more hard :hugs: "cz" like "ch", also harder. "dz" is very similiar to "c", "dż" and "dź" like "g" in "ginger", but "dż" - ofc - harder. "ż" I can explain only with French, so this information is for those who speak French :hugs: "ż" read like French "j" or something like that. Same as "rz". Another simplification of Polish langugae, isn't it? :P "Ł" read like "w" in "wood". I wrote it before in another thread, Polish "w" is like English "v".

So you can see, spelling, but also grammar and all other parts of my langugae are VERY hard to explain, and for most of people, who don't speak Polish, some words (lol most of em :Just_Cuz_21: ) are impossible to say well.

Edited by TelariTurunen
@bhj - dude, those look like Windows errors ! :oooo:

hehe well I can see a "few" words / sounds in here that looks like a windows error to me to :P but thats the beauty of it all We are all different in so many ways but in here we are one big happy family (most of the time anyway) :lol:

as for our "special characters" hers how they can be made :)

Æ/æ
Æ / æ

Ø/ø
Ø / ø

Å/å
Å / å

Interesting combinations!

I'll use your tactic:

Cs: Like "Ch" in "Chat" or "Church"

Dz: Cant find right now. But I'll edit if I do. :thumbsup:

Dzs: Like "j" in "Jam" or "Joke" or "genius" ("g")

Sz: Basically it's the "s". Like "secret". But when in Hungarian there's an "s" That is told like "ssssssssh!"

Zs: Cant find right now. But I'll edit if I do. :unsure:

Dz is pronounced /dz/ :cool: (as in Hudson)

Zs is /ʒ/ as in vision

Most of our digraphs correspond to English letters in pronounciation, notable example is the Gy, which is not used it English at all. It sounds somewhat similar to "due" /dju:/

As for how they are used ... they are individual letters and cant be separated

Ours is just boring plain old english.

However regarding pronunciation the correct way of saying

Grass path and similiar words is

Gr-ah-ss not Gr-aar-ss

and P-ah-th not - P-aar-th

However this is because I'm a northerner in the south everyone would say the correct pronunciation is the latter two

:thumbsup:

~Doom

This is an interesting thread, I must say that it has been a learning experience and Dawn is probably got some thinking gears going. She has some papers that are written in what we think is Cyrillic but we don't know. They do have something to do with our family tree.

and the s in vision doesn't make an s sound it sounds more like zju

:D

~Doom

Yes, thus Zs is not s but /ʒ/ aka voiced postalveolar fricative aka zju ;)

Just because you can read those wierd phonetic letter things

:o

~Doom

and the s in vision doesn't make an s sound it sounds more like zju

:P

~Doom

Yes, thus Zs is not s but /ʒ/ aka voiced postalveolar fricative aka zju :P

Just because you can read those wierd phonetic letter things

:P

~Doom

And because you can use terms like postalveolar fricative. just don't try to hide the meaning through subjective obfuscation. :D

• 7 months later...