Tropical storms

I hope it comes as no surprise that I heard about TD Ike a couple of days ago and that I'm rooting for it:) Perhaps it can wallop Borg in the Keys. :P Go Ike GO!

• 4 weeks later...
seems they found the secret to the strengthening of the storm through the magic of advanced computer imaging. they found sheep!

ikehurricane.jpg

rotfl - choked on my coffee! Very funny :D

I have been in Broome in Western Australia for untold cyclones. The season runs there from Nov - march each year. The main thing that always amazes me is.. They are so LOUD! It is true about the eye of the storm bit as well - Kinda weird to have the wild roar for hours and then silence - only for the roar to return. Some of the locals actually enjoy them, holding 'cyclone party's' etc.. and of course everyone has time off work. They can be very, very scary at times. An Australian city ( Darwin ) was totally destroyed on Xmas eve many years ago.

People do die, and it's part of the reason I left the West Kimberley region. That plus crocodiles, snakes, scorpions, snakes, Box jelly Fish and one to many doses of heat stroke :) [makes your blood thick like treacle and is most unpleasant] In fact - I have often marveled that anyone who grows up there makes it past puberty. lol. Ahh the tropics - got to love them.

One thing I have always wondered though - does anyone know the difference between a Hurricane and a Cyclone? I have always thought they just spin in opposite directions, and I have no idea why I think that!