As I say in the "blurb" of my thread, I noticed a lot of people here seem to be listening to metal these days, so I'm going to ask you lot this:

What (if you have one/any) is/are your favorite genre(s) of metal?

and

Is Nu Metal actually metal?

and

Whats your opinion on death metal nowadays?

:P

~Doom

(oh and meh answers)

1. Black metal all the way, 'specially if its Norwegian :sigh:

2. Nevah, its what the people who want to look "into" metal listen to

3. I really really loathe death metal, at least modern death metal. The only metal deeper in my scorn is nu "metal" My problem with modern death metal is that musically (in my opinion) its always been one of the worst genres, but at least bands from the 80s and 90s sounded good, and weren't just the wierd "cookie monster" vocals. Also modern death metal is hopelessly mixed up with "screamo" and general emo, worsening the problem all round :).

P.S. And for those who don't like metal, why don't you like it?

(This thread doesn't break any rules? *checks* No looks like it doesn't :lol: So lets get the ball rolling)

Edited by TimOfDoom

Nice idea for this thread, Tim :P

"What (if you have one/any) is/are your favorite genre(s) of metal?"

Well, I listen to almost every kind of metal, but I haven't got many favourite bands and there's a few which I really don't like. Tim, you wrote you like especially Norwegian metal, I can say I like Scandinavian metal (mostly) :sigh:

"Is Nu Metal actually metal?"

Ofc it is. And rabbits are from planet Mars (north Mars, to be correct).

"Whats your opinion on death metal nowadays?"

Hmmm. The youngest band I listen to was created in 1996... it's Nightwish btw... or maybe there's a younger one, I'm not sure... *cough*, and rather I don't listen to bands younger than this one. So I would write I don't care about it, but most of my fav bands still realase albums, for example Manowar "Gods of War", Metallica "Death Magnetic" or NW "Dark Passion Play". Would be easier to explain my opinion, if I used examples like these ones.

So. Replacing vocalists in every band is (in almost every cases) a very bad move, not only for Nightwish. Yeah, Tarja wasn't a good member of band, but still she was a big part of Nightwish, and I won't say that the new singer is a good choice... yuck... "Dark Passion Play" would be much better without that Annette, even if only Marco would sing in it... btw Marco's vocals are not SO interesting... ok, enough about NW, you can read same things everywhere on youtube.

In my opinion everything, including metal, is changing and it's rather normal because of time. Although I wouldn't say if these changes are good changes, I deffinitely prefer the old sounds. Maybe except a few exceptions :lol:

Cool thread.

I have never been a fan of death metal. And I think most of the bands that I considered metal, that I liked in my younger days, would earn a hearty chuckle and sighs of disdain from true metal fans.

For instance, back in the day I was completely into Queenscryche(sp) which was classified--at least in BMG and Columbia(music clubs) as metal. Now does anyone really feel that they are metal?

Most of what I always thought of as metal bands were simply hair bands(although I would never put Queenscryche into that category)

For instance, back in the day I was completely into Queenscryche(sp) which was classified--at least in BMG and Columbia(music clubs) as metal. Now does anyone really feel that they are metal?

Most of what I always thought of as metal bands were simply hair bands(although I would never put Queenscryche into that category)

Queensrÿche is the correct spelling (obviously old-school, it has an umlaut :)) They are metal, and a good band at that.

and Hair, hair is metal (Hair metal) or if you're being more polite Glam Metal :(

;)

~Doom

Not huge fan of metal music, but still have some favourites on that area too.

1. I'm really bad spotting difference between metal genres, but I have some feeling it's called Industrial Metal (like this Turmion Kätilöt - Verta ja lihaa ?=) anyways stuff what combines things from electronic music and metal. I really love when breakbeat and electric guitar are combined like in

.. (one of theyr bests songs is playing in one of my sacred video
) also Crystal Method has this type of songs, but they are more electronic music than metal.

I also like System of a down.. is it nu-metal?

2. Nu metal.. hmm.. linkin park, limp bizkit.. some good tracks on both groups. Are they metal.. well, not really. But they are not rock either or rap, so they are hybrid of bit everything. It's like Nu Jazz is not like Jazz, but more of a hybrid of different chill out styles.

3. Death metal and stuff where is impossible spot any real words are just not my thing.. so hard to say what's the difference in new and old.

Edited by Obsession
Not huge fan of metal music, but still have some favourites on that area too.

1. I'm really bad spotting difference between metal genres, but I have some feeling it's called Industrial Metal (like this Turmion Kätilöt - Verta ja lihaa ?=) anyways stuff what combines things from electronic music and metal. I really love when breakbeat and electric guitar are combined like in

.. (one of theyr bests songs is playing in one of my sacred video
) also Crystal Method has this type of songs, but they are more electronic music than metal.

I also like System of a down.. is it nu-metal?

2. Nu metal.. hmm.. linkin park, limp bizkit.. some good tracks on both groups. Are they metal.. well, not really. But they are not rock either or rap, so they are hybrid of bit everything. It's like Nu Jazz is not like Jazz, but more of a hybrid of different chill out styles.

3. Death metal and stuff where is impossible spot any real words are just not my thing.. so hard to say what's the difference in new and old.

@ 1. thats industrial all right. (and look you know what death metal is, the genres aren't so hard ^^)

@ 2. Thats quite a good definition of it actually, one of the best I've heard :(

@ 3. I hope this doesn't include Black Metal :o , but actually in the earlier death metal you COULD hear the words :) , thats the reason I don't like newer bands, you can't understand them at all ;)

System of a down are... Nu Metal but not, they're odd, but I would call them metal, as opposed to Limp Bizkit.

:)

~Doom

1. Almost everything I could say..

Heavy Metal – goes without saying

Thrash – cant go wrong with it as long as its real thrash … The Haunted is not. The more oldschool sounding the better.

Power metal – preferably power metal with balls. Though, from time to time, I put on my Rhapsody tshirt and sing Power of the Draaaagonflame out loud.

Doom – with all of its subgenres from the traditional sound to funeral doom, everything

Folk metal – this is fun stuff. A good listen while drinking but there aren’t many bands that I really appreciate from the musical point of view. Fun nonetheless. Especially when played live

Black metal – ok, its tough. I listen to a lot of black metal, yet I cant stand the typical bm sound. I took my time to familiarize myself with it, and while Ive found some bands I liked I got bored of it very quickly. Ok, 'its not music, its war' but I rather listen to some catchy riffs instead.

what I do love is the:

first wave, which may or may not be considered black metal today. Venom, Bulldozer, Hellhammer, early Bathory, Tormentor raaawwr

This includes early bands that developed a quite different sound, one that seems very “avant-garde” today. Like Master’s Hammer. Technically they don’t fit here, but Im adding the modern bands playing blackened heavy metal here too.

Black/thrash: considered more black than thrash. Probably my all time favourite genre of all

the greek scene: or any band with the typical greek bm feel to it

2. Im a purist so no

3. Death metal is something I rarely listen to. Cant say I hate it, I could just never get into it. I do love some old bands though, Morbid Angel, Possessed etc but probably because they were still very thrashy.

So while Im not really familiar with the current state of death metal, there is definitely more to it than just cookie monster vocals, from what I can see and hear, its a very demanding genre technically at least. I’d suggest giving Decrepit Birth a try, they are one of the few modern bands I like. And Quo Vadis too, for more a melodic sound.

Im tempted to give youtube links, but Im too lazy right now :)

Ahhh the good old "first wave" bands that started off black metal, all avant-garde, even today :)

And the reason you like early death, is probably the reason I like it too :P . Also back then it was more avant-garde

(Celtic frost etc..)

Folk metal... you're right some aren't so good musically, they're just good old fun :D Korpiklaani spring to mind, though they're pretty good at the music too :D

:D

~Doom

Hehe, I haven't got a clue about all these different genres of metal music. Never cared about it. It's all Metal to me. My Favorites over the years (in no particular order): Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer, Judas Priest, King Diamond, Black Sabbath, Nuclear Assault, Angel Witch, Pantera, Helloween, Motorhead, Arcturus, Opeth, Megadeth, and probably the most important one: Iron Maiden.

Cheers :D

I can deduce from your list that your tastes are too eclectic to deduce :D

You like power metal (Helloween) Avant-garde (Arcturus) Plain old Heavy (Iron Maiden, Pantera, Judas Priest) Progressive (Opeth) Thrash (Anthrax, Metallica, Slayer and Megadeth (heys its the big four :D ) )

I think that saying you liked metal is the best description ^^

~Doom

Where does King Diamond fit in? Sort of all over the place. King Diamond was one of the first metal bands I got into in my early teens. Still to this day I consider "Them" to be one of (if not) the best albums ever made. None of My friends like it lol. Too Weird maybe :D

Edited by toret

hmmm take all of what toret said and add in most if not all symphonic metal, Withing Temp, Night Wish, Epica, Evanescence, Lacuna Coil, Sirenia.

I still have all the black metal a few of you guys sent me.. no clue what they would be labeled though hehe... but I like it!

Oh and Them was my first King Diamond album... Second was Abigail... LOVED it all!) now mostly though depending on my mood, Ive mellowed mostly :woot:

Ahhh the good old "first wave" bands that started off black metal, all avant-garde, even today :(

I meant avant garde in the vein of Sigh or maybe even Arcturus ...

like this

... as opposed to the "darkened Motorhead” style of the first wave