Guide to Customizing the Sacred 2 Camera View and optionsCustom txt

Schot

I've spent searching everywhere (yes, even used the search function built in with windows) to find anything like it...

Only options file I have regarding ascaron or sacred 2 is called: OptionsDefault.txt

that's really the only one out there with me

I have a heck of a time finding stuff on windows. Seems to enjoy hiding things from us, grrr. You might need to turn on "Show Hidden Files and Folders prom. Give this a try; Open any folder-->Click Alt Key-->Go to the folder's Menu and Click Tools-->Folder Options-->View-->Click "Show hidden files and folders"-->Apply to Folders-->OK.

Now try the search for options or options.txt.

Are you using Vista or XP prom?

P.s.

Oh uuuuh, oops! It's likely that optionsCustom does not exist yet, eh heh. So you'll need to search for options.txt. Where options.txt is found you'll need to create a new txt file called optionsCustom.txt in the same folder options.txt is found. And then follow my instructions in first post. Will update first post!

hidden files and folders was changed, as in your original post :D

However, even options.txt doesn't yield any results by search (both automatically and manual), I am using XP.

However, I do have a map called options_readme.txt

Edited by promatolya

Alrighty prom. I was wondering if that might be the case. It's been a little while now since I've used XP and forgot what the address would be in XP for application data. Found it though! Have a look in the folder; ..\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Ascaron Entertainment\Sacred 2. Do you have any files in there? If not then all that's needed is to create the optionsCustom.txt file in that folder and then add in the code from first post. Let me know how that goes! :D

P.s.

Updated the explanation in first post. Added some much needed info.

Yes! found it.

even though it displayed on my screen, and way half grayed out (since it was hidden, but now reavealed), it still didn't show up on search... Odd.

either way, I found options.txt

So do I get it right when I open this options.txt file, I add the part you had in code brackets in the first post, all the way at the bottom.

Save it under the name optionsCustom.txt

and delete the original options.txt file ?

Wanna get some confirmation before I do stuff like this that could mess my game up :D

Thanks for the guide, altough the only use I noticed with these settings, was that I could move the camera more downwards in order to view straight ahead, which is good coupled with a nice viewing distance :)

However when you have horses or NPC's following you, mouse "points" at them almost all the time in that view even when theyre not on-screen (like if their behind the camera) :(

Was wondering though, I mostly use the top-down view (max zoomed out), and was wondering if you had any ways to get a "higher" perspective? As too zoom further out so I could see a bigger area :D

yay cool :) bougth the game today and messed around some in SP... on rahter low graphics but :( im gonna chek this out, I changed camera so much I kinda didnt use mouse for anything but left and rigth click :D

Yes! found it.

even though it displayed on my screen, and way half grayed out (since it was hidden, but now reavealed), it still didn't show up on search... Odd.

either way, I found options.txt

So do I get it right when I open this options.txt file, I add the part you had in code brackets in the first post, all the way at the bottom.

Save it under the name optionsCustom.txt

and delete the original options.txt file ?

Wanna get some confirmation before I do stuff like this that could mess my game up :)

Yup, that search function of Windows needs some serious work I think. Even now if I were to do a search for the file it simply isn't shown in the results. It's likely that Microsoft doesn't want us finding and poking at hidden files. ^^

Almost got it prom. What I think would work best is to first delete options.txt. Won't be needing it at all and it's best when making custom changes to get rid of that one. In the optionsCustom file you make the only thing that needs to be there is:

camera.customsettings = 1
camera.cam1_trackdist_min = 140
camera.cam1_rotx_min = -0.20

Thanks for the guide, altough the only use I noticed with these settings, was that I could move the camera more downwards in order to view straight ahead, which is good coupled with a nice viewing distance :)

However when you have horses or NPC's following you, mouse "points" at them almost all the time in that view even when theyre not on-screen (like if their behind the camera) :P

Was wondering though, I mostly use the top-down view (max zoomed out), and was wondering if you had any ways to get a "higher" perspective? As too zoom further out so I could see a bigger area :(

I have to say I'm completely addicted to this view. The things I find this does for me is firstly that it allows me to see up hill better the second is that I can sneak up on enemies more easily. *Pow Pow!* Mwahaha!

Interesting question about zooming out more Xodusness. I didn't think to try that out but... Sure enough, yes we can. Even brought a couple samples for you. :)

Here we have a view zoomed

all the way out in default 950 setting:

th_zoom950.jpg

And here we have a view zoomed

all the way out in a custom 2000 setting:

th_zoom2000.jpg

The line of code you would need to add to your optionsCustom.txt is as follows:

camera.cam1_trackdist_max = 950

If you were to add that to your optionsCustom.txt file to my suggested changes in my first post then you would end up with an optionsCustom.txt file that looks like that below:

camera.cam1_trackdist_max = 950

To increase how far out you can zoom you would change the last part of the code to a higher number. So change 950 to say 1200, (950 is the default). In my second example pic above I changed the 950 to 2000. Quite the interesting view but I'm willing to bet that you will get a lot of lag from viewing that high. Test it out and see what works best for you Xodusness.

Is there no need to make a copy of the original options.txt file if you do a screw up Schot?

Oh yes it's perfectly safe. :)

In the folders I mention for XP and Vista you would be fine even if you were to delete any, all files in that folder. The only thing it is for is your game settings. The options.txt is a sort of default settings and it is generated automatically by the game each time you play. So if you delete options.txt unintentionally there is no danger. The game will create it again. :) However, if you feel nervous about doing this you could save the options.txt file to some other place as a backup.

Keep in mind that the optionsCustom.txt file is purely optional and is a way for players to customize game settings. Much the same way as changing game settings from within the game options menu except that it offers much more control. For this topics purpose the only thing that should be in your optionsCustom.txt file is the code mentioned in the first post. This is how mine looks:

Oh yes... And experimentation is done at your own risk! :D

P.s.

I'm changing the suggested code in my first post from:

camera.cam1_trackdist_min = 80

to:

I find it better this way but feel free to adjust to your own preferences.

I love the new views! I was cajoling Schot into making this guide for a long while now, after seeing his screen finally muscle through the game with a camera that's almost completely under our control. Best camera I've ever used in game was with Requiem's. Total control, responsive, and things never got in the way. With Sacred 2 having no sky because of the extra demand on resources, I'd always felt like someone had put a helmet on top of my head that forced me to look no further upon the ground than a few feet away. After changing the options file..it was like seeing Sacred 2 wholly for the first time. If anyone here hasn't tried this yet, it's well worth trying it out to see if you like what more flexibility does for the game.

It certanly helps with pictures and seeing monsters further away.

:)

gogo

Schot, many thanks for your suggestions.

To raise the camera slightly from 'your' settings, do I change the -0.20 figure?

If yes, would -0.10 be higher or lower?

Obviously then the setting of -0.30 would be the reverse.

NEVER MIND - I've just checked.

-0.30 raises the camera slightly.

I'm trying to get a compromise between a low view and not too much fog! :P

Sacredimage2.jpg

Edited by MAXIMVS

the actual options.txt file always stays, infact if it is deleted the game re-creates it. If you open the option.txt file these are the very first lines....

-- DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

--

-- To customize your settings, edit optionsCustom.txt,

-- and add only parameters which you want to overide

if not camera then

so basically the optionsCustom.txt simply overides specified settings in the option.txt file :)

Edited by Cygnus
Schot, many thanks for your suggestions.

To raise the camera slightly from 'your' settings, do I change the -0.20 figure?

If yes, would -0.10 be higher or lower?

Obviously then the setting of -0.30 would be the reverse.

NEVER MIND - I've just checked.

-0.30 raises the camera slightly.

I'm trying to get a compromise between a low view and not too much fog! :)

Ah glad you got it workin MAXIMVS. I'm sorry I hadn't responded till now. Kinda lost my internet for a while, ugh.

Well, for me it does not work - at all!

I don't see any difference even though I can see that the values are adjusted. What can be the problem?

It can be a bit of a pain Timo. That options.txt can be tricky. As a check list of steps you can Run Sacred 2, choose options from the menu-->gameplay-->Camera-->Free. Turn off the game then delete options.txt, double check the data in optionsCustom.txt is as suggested in post #1 and restart Sacred 2. you should be able to maneuver the camera with greater freedom using the middle mouse button. As an extra step to make sure Free camera is being used you could add this line. I have it in my optionsCustom.txt file because my Sacred 2 beta options menu is busted at the moment:

options.camera_mode = 3

That will enable Free Camera control.

the actual options.txt file always stays, infact if it is deleted the game re-creates it. If you open the option.txt file these are the very first lines....

-- DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE

--

-- To customize your settings, edit optionsCustom.txt,

-- and add only parameters which you want to overide

if not camera then

so basically the optionsCustom.txt simply overides specified settings in the option.txt file :)

Exactly that!

Did you want isometric view Timo?! Whoops! :P For Iso camera I think all you need to do is choose "Fixed" for the Camera in the options menu. No need for optionsCustom edits. For the customization posted however Free Cam would have to be selected. :4rofl:

Nooo that's not the problem Schot - even though I really would like plain isometric... sigh - I want to be able to zoom out more. I'll give it a shot with free cam then.... Following cam drives me insane at times as well lol.

Aaaaah! Well in that case I believe all you would need to do is have only the below in your optionsCustom.txt:

camera.cam1_trackdist_max = 1250

You could keep the camera in Fixed setting if all you're wanting is to zoom out further. :P

Just a not on my preferences regarding the camera. Since Schot helped me set up my cam this way, I found there's just no going back. That little extra bit of uppness you get from being able to raise your head is just too good to let go once you've got it. After coming from Requiem where the camera was almost perfect, saddling down into Sacred 2's camera work from default just made me cringe. In fact, it was one of the biggest problems I had with the game right off the bat. By changing camera settings I got the freedom I wanted, and thankfully my comp had a bit of muscle to be able to handle it.

The zoom with with the changed cam settings...wow

:P

gogo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been fiddling around with the zoom in zoom out feature on this mod. The zoom out can be set to so high...that my dryad can now hit right to the limit of her pipe range

:)

I also increased the close up power... never can get close enough to my new wonderbabe ^^

:o

gogo