Learning how to draw with RssDragon

Ok, let us move on on this and have some fun! Get a pencil and let us draw. First we start with a very super basic drawing as can be seeing below:

Tutoring.jpg

Please, don't laugh!

I will make it look better soon, but this is from where we start. :whistle:

As we can see in the previous post.... It is going to be an Dark elf fighting a Dragon. For now let us concentrate on the Dark elf, then, once we are done with him we do the Dragon. Following the same idea of the original sketch (previous post), we keep his pose and from a simple center line we build the skeleton of the fugure. As can be seen below:

Tutoring%201.jpg

Din't get your percil yet? Come on... try it, it is gonna be fun. :whistle:

Edited by RssDragon

All fixed up RSS. I've added the fansite links to both just under the community link. :)

Oh and RSS. You noooo idea how much I would love to see a drawing tutorial here on darkmatters. I would love it if you would allow me to separate your above three posts into a separate topic with a title of your choosing. I promise I will follow it and post my results. That would be awesome Rss. :)

Thanks dear Schot for the help. Please, feel free to do as you wish. As for the title you can name it as you think is best. I'll be posting more drawings to be added to it soon.

By the way, I hope you all are having a very nice weekend.

Now, we get the model 3 (skeleton) and we work on it as can be seen below:

Tutoring2.jpg

Yes, we are in the right direction, let us see where we can get with it. :4rofl:

lol, wow these are great! They look like line drawings that come off a comp. Hard to believe you're doing all this yourself. Nice job here RSS. And as Schot said...the links to the Sacred Fan Art sections are right along the left for everyone to click in quicker with.

Cheers!

:)

gogo

Yes, Gogo. It is all me. :)

Here is one more and as you can see I have added the armor and clothes to the character.

How to do that? Once you have done the character's body you can use a tracing paper to design the armor and clothes. That will make it easier for you to correct any mistakes. Actually, a tracing paper (as shown in example 6) is very useful and better than that is a light box. However, a light box is more expensive. So, tracing paper comes handy. In example 7 we can see it all together.

Tutoring3.jpg

As you can see the character is getting shape. Now we are close to the end, but if you can't wait to see the final drawing you can have a pick at the original drawing at Sacred wiki "S1 Fan Art". :D

Edited by RssDragon

I'm really loving the process you are showing us Rss. It truly is what I love most about art. Seeing the art unfold and develope into completion. Very nice! Wonderful tip about using tracing paper to create the armor. So this is a technique to preserve the body? So as not to damage it while creating/correcting the armor? Looks like I'll be buying some tracing paper then. :)

P.s.

I've split your Art topic and created this one from it. Thanx for sharing your knowledge Rss. :D

Yes, you got it right. It is also very helpful to keep you drawings clean. As you are working on a drawing your hand sometimes dumage or get the drawing dirty in areas that should be white. So you can use it to protect your drawing while you are working on it and at the same time to have a full view of the part covered by the tracing paper.

As for design composition of clothes, armors and almost anything... it is a very a good help. Of course if you can have a light box that would make you life easier, but that is much more expensive.

Anyway, I'll be getting into more detales soon. :agreed: Also, with some pictures on how to get it done. :)

P.s.

Dear Schot,

Thank you very much for all the care you are having with me. Actually, you and Gogo are really two amazing people, which make me honored to be a member in the same wonderful community as you. Not only you guy, but also the other members have the power to make me feel at home here.

Concerning my drawings… I will not pretend here that I am a professional for I am not. However, I am taking the learning very serious and little by little I’ll get there. As I go learning, I’ll share everything with you guys and with it you will be able to see my Art work improving as I go. If I had more time I would be able to get faster results and post more drawings. Though, one have to put all the excuses aside in order to active any goal in life. So, I be always putting the best of me into my drawings for I am drawing for friends… For you Schot… For you Gogo… For you Telari… For you Nervous… and all the other members of this so unique community. Many of you I have known for many years from other forum. I hope to one day be able to meet you all in person.

I sincerely thank you for having created this section as it gives me more inspiration to draw and to share my drawings with you guys.

Best regards,

Rss

Here is the final steps for our tutoring. :oooo:

As you can see, what I did here was to improve each drawing by correcting mistakes and erasing lines that should not be there till finally it got the look I wanted.

1) I used a pencil (B2) and an eraser to go from steps 1 up to step 5. (Seeing in the pictures in previous posts)

2) After that, I used tracing paper for creating the armor and clothes and to join them to the body of the drawing eliminating the parts I did not need.

3) Finally, I used a light box to add details and shadows and to get the final look you can see below. I also used tracing paper to cover the parts I was not drawing on, in order not to durty the drawing. For the final drawing I used pencils B2, B4, B6. For creating this tutorial I used a light box. However, if you are planning to make your own tutorial, you can record the steps as your drawing develops instead of waiting to do it once the drawing is done.

Tutoring4.jpg

Here is the finished drawing.

Tutoring5.jpg

Well, I think that is all for now. :bow:

Impressive! Well looks like class is out and is time for me to do my homework. Thank you for the lesson Rss. I will follow your advice closely and hope to achieve something that is at least recognizable by the general populous, lol. Really outstanding. You've done the shading so well. A question though. Can you explain what each type of pencil you used was used for?

B2 (used for the line art)

B4 (used for the re-enforcing the line art -where needed- and for lighter shading)

B6 (used for the stronger shading and also to help with the blending of tones)

A good way of using this combination (when shading) is by starting with B2 laying the indicial lighter color shading, then add a bit of B4 to darken the parts that should have a median shading, finally use the B6 to fill in the very dark areas. Remember not to apply too much pressure to your pencils. So, that you can avoid unwanted marks. ;)

Also, for blending the colors you can use; blending stumps, tortillos, chamois cloth. Unfortunately, however, I did not have any of them so I used… my wife’s make up brush to blend the colors. Then, after she got upset with me I gave up on her make up kit and took her painting brushes. ;) So as you can see we can always get around the absence of a tool and yet achieve a nice result. :D

* Do not use your fingers to blend colors… Our skin has oils that can damage the quality of the paper and with it the drawing.

However, feel free to experiment with all the pencils and tool available as soon as you are able to get them. There is a big variety of them so you can try them all and see what brings better results. I think that the secret of drawings is held by those who know how to use the tools they got to get the best possible results. Though, don’t let excuses stop you from drawing… Excuses just keep us from achieving our goals in life. Remember, all what we need to draw… we already have within ourselves, so let us use it. ;)

I hope that I answered your question my friend. Oh! besure that I would love to see one of your drawings. ;)