When do you toss out your christmas tree?

Hey guys!

I was wondering when do you take down the decorates from the xmas tree and when do you get rid of it?

Also what does the families do with an old, dry pine wood? Just throw it out? Burn it maybe? :)

Yeah...I think I know the answers from those, who use a "plastic-tree".

Stays up past Epiphany (6 Jan) at least. We have woods around the house - so we just put it out in th trees and let it decompose naturally.

Ohh hehe yeah plastic one is not the same for sure, but people are not...illogical. At least they/you dont have to clean those damn fallen spikes, and you dont have to buy one every year, aaaand you dont need to get rid of it. It has benefits as well!

About 6 Jan...once, we used to keep the xmas tree until 6 Jan or even longer. This year, it is impossible. It's spikes fall down, and it looks ugly I think (dont tell it my parents). But at xmas it looked nice :bow:

As for the natural decompose, I think it is the best way to get rid of it. Well my cousin's has a smaller pine wood, and they bring that in house at xmas. Then plant it in the garden in a tile. This might be the best way. (and also, money saving).

More? :)

Definitely, a "live" tree replanted is very good. If you live in a cold climate, you need to be careful to not shock/kill your tree moving it inside or outside too abruptly.

When I was growing up we would go to a tree farm and cut down our own tree around the beginning of December and keep it outside until Christmas Eve. We would then put it up and it would stay up until Late January. My wife's family would put up their tree at the beginning of December and take it down the first weekend after New Years, so that is what we do. In fact, I'll be taking it down in the next hour or two. :) We get our tree from a local charity group.

We put ours out for recycling. The County in which we live recycles trees put out the first couple of weeks of January.

- Ike

Typically I have my xmas tree up about 2 weeks before the 25th and it usually comes down first weekend after the New Year's. We also drop it off for recycling

I put mine up right after thanksgiving about a day or 2 later. but if I can sneek it past vampie its up in all its glory before thanksgiving. and it stays up for about a week or so after the new yr. so I'll be enjoying it a few more days longer. then its put up till next yr. Growing up we used to go out and cut ours the day after thanksgiving was nice growing up in montana. and it would stay up just as long as my family has ours up I guess some traditions stay the same but as for cutting our tree I really don't have the means to do so yet maybe next yr.

Tree shock Gial? All of a sudden you brought to mind a pic of a distraught family using electro paddles to bring it back to life after a too-quick entry into a home :P

Trees have always been important to our family. We're an immigrant family, and so one of the first things my parents did as appropriating local customs was the purchase of a big evergreen heavily weighed with dollar store ornaments (in those days anyway) that us, their two monkeys, would love to crawl into and enjoy having tinkly things fall down and watch break.

The parents were not amused. Of course, we all grow up, and the snakes and ladders game me and my brother used to play for years in the seasonal boughs quickly grew boring and we had, by then, taken up more mischievous naughtinessess ^^ The tree would go up, oh about three weeks before Christmas, and this was always one of my mom's main objets d'art. She was and is still a gifted imagineer, and we would, in years later, always sit back and be delighted for the the kinds of things she would find to decorate the tree with. Always there was the stuffs made by us in school which my parents allowed us to hang ourselves, and always either the mini-lava lamps or bubbler lights that we could never stop looking at when it got late and snow would begin to fall.

Did I mention I love Christmas trees?

And Tomi, finally getting to the answer here to your topic question, the tree would last all the way to the first week after New Years after which my parents would take it down (always a sad time huh :thumbsup: )and leave it out to be picked up and carted away.

This was a nice thread here Tomi, and you got me to remember some wonderful things. Thank you.

:)

gogo

Isn't it funny GoGo that we as adults think back on our childhood and remember what Christmas was like for us. How parents always made that time of year really grand. And now that I am a parent my self It just doesn't seem to have the flare it used to. Everything getting all "P.C." This year my Vampie and I tried to do what our parents did in our childhood days. and Had the scents of Christmas ringing through our house. With candles and such but still it got me thinking back to my childhood and the big evergreens we used to go out and cut with my dad. I miss those times of years.

Christmas decorations come down on Three Kings Day (Epiphany, which is 6 JAN). When we have a cut tree, it goes into the brush pile to decompose (the brush pile serves as habitat for rabbits and birds). We currently have an artifical tree.

Edited by fleet