Sacred 2 Guides - Ranged Inquisitor

This will only be a short guide, as I have just started the build (currently gold level 43).

This build option has been weakened substantially since 2.31:

With ranged weapons, Ruthless Mutilation (RM) used to target all enemies in front of the Inquisitor in a much greater radius than the actual shooting distance. Even with a very far zoom-out (using Schot's instructions here) I couldn't see where ranged RM's scope ended.

As of 2.31, Ruthless Mutilation will only fire a small number of shots at opponents within weapon range (three, at lower levels; later maybe more).

Close combat weapons will hit up to at least five nearby opponents, which puts ranged weapons at a certain disadvantage.

Nevertheless, Ruthless Mutilation makes a good key CA for this build. Now for skilling, etc.

Skills

Tactics Lore (75+) (for boosts / damage)

Gruesome Inquisition Focus (75+) (for boosts / regen.)

Ranged Weapons

Speed Lore

Armour Lore

Constitution

Concentration (75+) (for buffs)

Combat Reflexes

Astute Supremacy Focus (75+) (for boosts)

Toughness

I took Astute Supremacy Focus for Reverse Polarity and Zealous Doppelganger and, just in case, Clustering Maelstrom*. (see below for uses)

Otherwise, I would have taken Combat Discipline for regen and damage.

I'll add more on mastering skills when I actually begin to master them. Now I just said the most important ones, I think. Theoretically, we have enough skill points to master all of them (921 in total at level 200).

Attributes

I put all in Dexterity for defense and damage.

Combat Arts

Gruesome Inquisition

Ruthless Mutilation: Main attack (see above explanation; with Ire, Dolor, Frenzy mods)

Callous Execution: For single opponents. (Bleed, Lacerate, Judgement)

Frenetic Fervor: For attack boost (Faith, Resolve, Relentless)

Purifying Chastisement: For single opponents (WIDD) (Purge/Mystic, Eradicate (Merciless in HC), Hallow)

Mortifying Pillory, as far as I can see, is partially a distraction and - more importantly - a kind of poisonous hard-hit. I have been using it against bosses in a combo after Callous Execution (after because of CE's hitpoint decrease). (mods: disgrace, proclamation, decay)

Astute Supremacy

Reverse Polarity: for reflect chances and defense. (Rebound, Counterblow, Evade)

Zealous Doppelganger: in HC for meat shield and (verification needed) an extra life. (Vigor, Domination, Companion)

Clustering Maelstrom*: for crowd control (Chaos, Gash, Vortex)

and maybe Raving Thrust*: Works well in combinatin with Callous Execution: Push away, shoot, repeat. (Lash Out, Relay, Tumble)

Nefarious Underworld

Soul Reaver: attack and defense values (no real need for mods; but if, then Zealot, Source, Zealot if Zealot stacks)

As for the other Combat Arts:

Nefarious Underworld is not aggressive enough for me: Dislodged Spirit and Inexorable Subjugation are against one opponent. Paralyzing Dread lowers stats and Eruptive Desecration doesn't sound like a mass kill CA.

Levin Array* isn't bad at all, in fact it has saved my character many times early in the game. I just had no use for it later.

Mount

I took the spider for Gruesome Inquisition regen. The other choice would have been the neutral spider.

Deity:

Personally Testa, although I haven't tried Kuan.

Fighting

Working with mobs:

Buffs: Soul Reaver, Reverse Polarity, later Zealous Doppelganger

CA: Ruthless Mutilation, maybe Clustering Maelstrom*; possibly Callous Execution for strong survivors

Single Opponents:

Buffs: Reverse Polarity, Purifying Chastisement, later Zealous Doppelganger

CA: Callous Execution-Mortifying Pillory combo, maybe Raving Thrust*

As usual, cast Combat Arts as often as possible otherwise just shoot them until CA is ready.

As I said, this is just a sketch and a plan to which I will hold my character and will see if the build is actually capable of holding its own against Niobium mobs and Bosses.

Wish me luck, have fun and thank you for your time.

nat

*Astute Supremacy CAs may not be very effective without Astute Supremacy Lore.

Edited by gogoblender

thanks for the build :o the last time I tried something like this I ended up with a really bugged toon, it was before the last patch do'h...

killerinq.jpg lol

good luck with this build and keep us updated :)

Man, I'm dying to play an Inquisitor...but so far mp rules don't allow mis aligned classes to party together...and this is a game breaker at high levels.

Dang...and he's got cool spells too!

:)

gogo

Question: Are you playing in 2.3 or newer? Because this was a 'feature' in the original versions that was said to be patched out later, it now should only fire 3 pellets at those targets it can see, not as many as there are targets.

Deity:

My first choice is Ker for the Boss you can fight anytime you want (in a half hour period). Second choice is Forens for reflection.

nat

and you obusly havent tried that :) killing ker gains you... nothing :o

OK. I neither knew about not getting anything killing the Sakkara Demon (nothing? not even experience:)) OR the patch-out in 2.3-something....

I tried the demon at level 1 and died but thought 'cool! this'll come in handy later!'. And, about the patch, I'm always afraid of just that happening. I'm still on 2.12.

That kind of takes the point out of my little idea. Maybe I should wait it out and see if it still is worth anything.

Just in case though, is there a way to retract posts? grrr

nat

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing the Main Quest only: Bronze, Silver, currently in Gold.

As of yet, there is more 'kiting' involved than I had bargained for, and near the end of Silver campaign I "achieved" 'Medicine Man' title. (For those who are wondering: No, I did not keep count of my pots :cry:. Would've been cool, though)

So far the build is also a relatively slow leveler. Kaballah's All-Round seraphim finished Platinum at level 88 and I hope not to be quicker.

I attribute the Medicine Man title to my neglecting the defense skills I already have. As soon as I have more points to spend, I expect the masses to submit more willingly.

I still have high hopes for this Inquisitor.

Public opinion? My current skills being

Tactics Lore

Ranged Weapons

Gruesome Inquisition Focus

Concentration

Constitution

Armour Lore

Astute Supremacy Focus

Combat Reflexes

I was considering rounding off with

Toughness (More resistance)

Speed Lore (More attack and defense)

But I would like to get Combat Discipline in there somehow. (more damage, faster regen.)

Does anybody think it's worth sacrificing one of those two skills?

nat

• 7 months later...

this is my build acually with bargaining replacing speed lore and combat disc over toughness. however I play hardcore and my mods/combos are quite different. currently level 106 in noib and goin strong :) good luck with yours I stacked dex till 50 then 1 vit and 1 dex btw.

Edited by POTATOE540
  • 4 months later...
does the whole RM mega kill thingy still work on consoles as it does pre-patch?

Whats the RM mega kill thingy? OOOh really, one shot per foe? That would be pretty cool. Does it work on console? Do you need extra hit chance from speed lore?

Edited by ka243

Whats the RM mega kill thingy? OOOh really, one shot per foe? That would be pretty cool. Does it work on console?

I believe it was patch out. as I have only ever seen 3 bolts from a ranged weapon, both on XBOX and PC.

Whats the RM mega kill thingy? OOOh really, one shot per foe? That would be pretty cool. Does it work on console?

I believe it was patch out. as I have only ever seen 3 bolts from a ranged weapon, both on XBOX and PC.

I'm not meaning the multishot from RM, I'm meaning the every kill increases your damage drastically bug where you can easily hit 100K+ before even level 40

I'm not meaning the multishot from RM, I'm meaning the every kill increases your damage drastically bug where you can easily hit 100K+ before even level 40

When I was saying abou the multishot thingy, I was meaning like in this video

Does this still work on consoles?

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried to see if the Ruth Mutil thing still worked with like in the video I posted, turns out it doesn't. Only 3 projectiles come out as a previous poster said. I used a pistol just incase it was any specific ranged weapon.

• 8 months later...

Interesting I started a build a bit like this one a while ago but I choose to focus on Gruesome Inquisition and only Gruesome Inquisition (ie I don't learn/use CA from other aspects).

It's too bad I didn't find you post a long time ago as I restarted the build more than once :(

Anyway I've a question in regard to Ruthless Mutilation which is indeed critical to the build:

For the bronze I went with deprivation (vs extra damages) as it makes the whole thing way more comfortable (early in the game you can run around the mob) and the effect scales as you're leveling. (I don't want either to be stuck using weapons dealing ice damages).

For silver I chose Dolor too, the life leech effect adds some extra damages and seems triggered all the time :)

The real question is for the gold mod, I chose Smolder which works well for me as I mod PC to boost fire damages. But I could have take another road as Frenzy should allow for more damages but (1billion dollars question):

Does range weapons allow for double hits?

I've more generic question about my build (which is "close" to your's).

First a quick sum-up of my build:

9 critical skills: Tactic Lore(M) / GI Focus(M) / Ranged Weapon / Armour lore(M) / Constitution(M) / Toughness (M)/ Spell Resistance / Combat reflexes / Damage lore.

1 skill slot opened

Mostly the same mods as the ones you chose :)

Attributes: Stamina/Vitality

So here comes the question, it's about encounter defence and especially their chances to reflect damages:

1)My CAs are considered ranged weapons, right? So I should not be bothered by critters that have chance to reflect Spells:melle damages right?

2) Do I have a way to protect my-self against those reflected damages? Is it consider a spell (damage reflection) and Spell resistance helps or I'll have to live with it?

NB I know Shuriken can somehow be a work around but they not optimal in range and overall damages. Actually shurikens are my favoured weapons because they are less affected by terrain and but they fell short against Energy weapon damage and range and pistols piercing properties.

Edited by super-avianti
  • 7 months later...

Firstly, would like to say that this build is very interesting..

Capable of both mob control, and able to take down bosses with ease.

You have inspired me to make an inquisitor of this playing style with your build.

But, I am curious; would, or would not dual wielding criple this build?

I like the build. Very well made. Thank you for creating this.

-Monist

If you replaced ranged lore with dual wielding the character would probably be stronger. As noted in this thread the build worked best pre patch 2.31 and since is much less effective. Using melee weapons hits a greater number of enemies directly in front of you so you would be better off.

If you replaced ranged lore with dual wielding the character would probably be stronger. As noted in this thread the build worked best pre patch 2.31 and since is much less effective. Using melee weapons hits a greater number of enemies directly in front of you so you would be better off.

Agreed the only real benefit of the ranged buyld is that it makes fight against tough single opponent "safer", RM+the deprivation mod ensure that you can stay in the distance. On top of it some ranged weapons have interesting properties "like -% to the opponent chances to reflects ranged damages" which for example help me a lot against the Gran Inquisitor (I died stupidly once before I realize that I was hurting my self badly thanks to his RP... ).

• 1 year later...

Playing on old patch for now.

It's quiet funny to use Pulsar-type weapons, sound makes you feel like Star Wars clone droid, though you need white clothing for that :P Range is very far indeed.

I can see so many different options to place skill points..for example putting more into stamina, skipping speed focus etc. For low level char it's nice to get Zealous Doppelganger: (Vigor, Domination, Companion) as fast as you can, its nice tank and killer. Sometimes I have to use potions, or pot-spam if meleeing boss(not enough points in armor or constitution), so if you have troubles with staying alive - just pump def skills(I didn't do that yet).

From combat arts I think most usefull at start is to spec RM, I failed and specced into combat buff too[which left me with no points for CE or frenzy for now]...which I rarely use now, but might be usefull later. So at start RM+CE or RM+frenzy.

For single bosses I specced polearms (no ranged focus), but I feel like it was not the best choice, could skip both ranged and polearm specs and get more utility...

Boss killing tip on normal - Frenetic Fervor +other dmg buffs you can get or cast on enemy+ Diety (Tiesta) = boss hp is lower now :)

Overall, so far I found this build/guide fine. With fine gear you can one/two shot most mobs.