SacredWiki.org Now Supports Multiple Languages

Some big changes have been happening on SacredWiki.org and we're very excited about this particular one. Some weeks ago a new functionality was added to the wiki that will allow it, and us contributors, to maintain articles in multiple languages. A lot of people have already discovered this on their own to my surprise. Granted, it's fairly easy to spot the changes made on the wiki when you click the "Recent Changes" link on the SacredWiki. I guess I was spotted, hehe.
Some pages have already been translated into French and Hungarian, (and just yesterday Spanish!). Stéphane for the French pages, DrIstvaan for the Hungarian pages and Elestel for the Spanish pages who I would like to thank for their translations. Wonderful work and it's so thrilling to see! :) As an example you can see the French translation of the wiki page Dwarves - do they really exist? which is one of the many book texts you can find in the game: Les Nains - Existent-ils vraiment? Or a Hungarian and Spanish translation of the wiki page Concentration which is an in game skill choice: Koncentráció and Concentración. Notice at the top of those pages is a language bar. Clicking the language link of your preference changes the text which when I first tried it kinda got a kick out of. :D

For many months now, in fact even before Sacred 2 was on the horizon we've had requests that the wiki maintain French, Russian, Hungarian and Polish and every so often we would be reminded. Not only that but we're able to see that many visitors are actually viewing the wiki through google translate from various different languages. We had never intended to go beyond English support but we're trying it out. So far it's been a lot of fun and excitement. Presently there are English German and Italian wikis for Sacred so it looks as though we will attempt to fill the void for communities of other languages in search of answers to the mysteries of Sacred 2. If you're wanting to know more feel free to ask here or on DarkMatters.org? where we administrate SacredWiki.org.

That's it from me for now. Schot needs some sleep! Ask questions if you have them. :)

If you want to contribute to SacredWiki, please register an account here at DarkMatters and then log into the wiki using your DarkMatters login name and pass. All are welcome and encouraged to participate by adding or editing content.

For the sake of simplicity I'm going to list out the steps needed in order to create a translated page:

How to create a translated page.
  • Choose an English page on the wiki you want to translate. (Contact Schot or gogoblender if the page you want to create does not exist in English and you need to create a new page.)
  • Click Edit to edit this page.
  • Add {{Languages}} to the top of the article and leave a space below to separate the code from the content.
  • Save the page edit.
  • In the address bar and at the end of the url type /LANGUAGE code and press enter. (must be at the end of the URL. See the list below for your language code to use)
  • You are taken to a page that says "There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this page title in other pages or edit this page.
  • Choose "edit this page".
  • Now you are at the page where you can add information. The first thing to put on this page is {{Languages}} at the top of the page like you did in the previous page. Leave a space below to separate the code from the content.
  • Now out {{DISPLAYTITLE:Sacred 2:PAGENAME}} Replace PAGENAME with what the page name is in your language.
  • Type in your translated content.
  • Save page.
  • Test out the language bar by clicking between language links and see if it is working well.

A good place to start is on the Fallen Angel page. From there you can click on a language page link near the top of the page to see how other language translators have done their work.

The /LANGUAGE codes are as follows:

/af = Afrikaans
/ar = Arabic
/az = Azerbaijani
/bcc = Southern Balochi
/bg = Bulgarian
/br = Breton
/ca = Catalan
/cs = Czech
/da = Danish
/de = German
/el = Greek
/es = Spanish
/fa = Persian
/fi = Finnish
/fr = French
/gl = Galician
/gu = Gujarati
/he = Hebrew
/hu = Hungarian
/id = Indonesian
/it = Italian
/ja = Japanese
/ko = Korean
/ksh = Kölsch
/mr = Marathi
/ms = Malay
/nl = Nederlands
/no = Norwegian
/oc = Occitan
/pl = Polish
/pt = Portugese
/ro = Romanian
/ru = Russian
/si = Sinhalese
/sk = Slovak
/sq = Albanian
/sr = Serbian
/sv = Swedish
/th = Thai
/tr = Turkish
/uk = Ukrainian
/vi = Vietnamese
/yue = Cantonese
/zh = Chinese
/zh-hans = Chinese (Simplified)
/zh-hant = Chinese (Traditional)

So we are alllowed of making the the pages in languages in wich the game doesn't even exist? I haven't seen a Dutch (nederlands) version yet... and their never will be, all of us, the Dutch speaking people play in an english/french/german version...

Long live multi-language! :P

If you think their would be a need for a dutch version, just let me know, and I'll start translating.

Arp: Other than me not seeing Dutch on the list above...

If you want to translate it and thus provide Dutch players with the content in their native language (Might as well leave the modifier names in English), so that anyone who's English isn't great can still reference it and understand how things work.

Although based on everyone I've ever met from the Netherlands.. your English is probably at least as good as most Americans (And that's not to say most Americans have bad English)

Dutch is in the list (it's called "nederlands" over here), and believe me when I say that many Belgian or people from the Netherlands can't speak fluently English. It's just that you wouldn't find these on english forums/sites.

But some of them still like to play games like sacred. and translated information could be handy for this group. (I know that the group maybe isn't that big, but whatever)

Brad, this is awesome. This feature you've added to the wiki adds to it's biggest strength, an entire community adding what they now about something they love doing. I'm thinking that out of the other big game wiki's on the net right now, this is going to be a first... another one for this community.

And what's astonishing is how much work everyone with a grasp of different languages has already added.

Well done Schot, and sincere kudos to all of the volunteer translators.

Thank you

:D

gogo

So we are alllowed of making the the pages in languages in wich the game doesn't even exist? I haven't seen a Dutch (nederlands) version yet... and their never will be, all of us, the Dutch speaking people play in an english/french/german version...

Long live multi-language! :P

If you think their would be a need for a dutch version, just let me know, and I'll start translating.

All I can say is this. I personally would love to see as many languages as possible within the wiki. Honestly I just think it is so cool! Every since this whole thing began I've had visions of Babel Tower and a feeling of unity being brought about by a single goal for which all speaking people are working towards. At the risk of romanticizing it's almost dream like. I mean how many opportunities in life do we get at this sort of interaction? It's a first for me!

So by all means Arperum. But! It IS a big job for one person. Is there maybe some other Dutch speaking players you know of that could help you? I just don't want you to burn yourself out on it. :ninja:

Schot> Do you want me to make the annoucement on the SIF french section now ?

Absolutely! However you word it is fine by me Stéphane. You go ahead. I'll post the English one after you and link to yours. :)

That's perfect Stéphane. Thank you so very much! :) I'm in the process of contacting folks to translate this announcement for other languages. :)

I could possibly, I repeat, possibly get a couple friend playing and helping with the translation. (one of them already bought the game :) )

I'll start with the full table for concentration... like so many others :)

EDIT: after translating one page I remembered again why people don't translate games to Dutch, it looks extremely silly, and I would just stop playing because of it... But maybe that is because I even think in English when gaming >_>

Edited by Arperum
EDIT: after translating one page I remembered again why people don't translate games to Dutch, it looks extremely silly, and I would just stop playing because of it... But maybe that is because I even think in English when gaming >_>

lol, well I think it looks awesome. Four languages on a single page. Love it!

Concentration

lol, well I think it looks awesome. Four languages on a single page. Love it!

Sacred 2:Concentration

heh, was just lookin at that too last night... those pages look so officious now with the language links up there at the top. A very nice touch. And the french pages are on the rise. Chloé has joined forces with steph!

:cry:

gogo

I've just created the "index" page in fr : http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacre...Fallen_Angel/fr

Tell me what you think about it. :cry:

Frenchs are in the house :cry:

Greetings,

Stéphane.

Mmmm... I disagree a bit...

Most of links are useless until you have translated that pages, so it makes too much incomplete information. Maybe for now, it would be better link them to the English ones until they will be translated. If someone forget the pages linked, it can be seen in the button "What links here" of the tool box.

In fact, my translation's plan is to translate "from the bottom to the top", starting with simple pages (as each skill), and then climbing in importance (after complete the skills, do the Skill page, etc.)

Of course, it's my opinion, but I leave the decisions and "orders" to the admins :cry:

lol, the red can seem disconcerting, because we're not used to it. But as a roadmap for wiki contributors it's priceless. Stéphane can now show the index page to the french community and they can see and be inspired by the red to help out with all the needed translations. The red links can be thought of as inspiration and a chart to where to progress to next ^^

:)

gogo

p.s. Also what's very interesting here is that the new index also acts as a quick guide to everything that's already been translated. This way anyone who approaches the wiki from french can drill down directly to pages that have already been completed. Valuable for a new french play to Sacred 2 who just wants to read all of the french translations.

Maybe for now, it would be better link them to the English ones until they will be translated.

Never do something like that, it's going to be a real pain to locate and correct all the links afterwards :)

This applies to anything in real or unreal life as well.

Love the FR Index. :)

My first thought would be to do as Elestel suggested but then this is going to flow very differently than when we first started. The difference being that the structure and content already exists. It's just the translations to do. It looks as though Stéphane and Chloé are very focused and organized. In this case there is a plan in action and seems the intention is to move quickly. As we've seen so far. Awesome! Oh and yes. The red links do provide nice motivation I would think. :)

If the plan is a slow process of translation then I would think doing it as Elestel suggests would be best. Two different strategies for two different approaches. Both of equal value I think. :)

Ok, it sounds everything good and clear!

PD to Antitrust: Yes, nothing like links...

PD2 also to the same: What about some alfas and betas in the wiki?

Edited by Elestel
Do not worry Elestel, my goal is to translate the articles from the main page first.

It's will be done "soon" ;)

Stéphane,Elestel and Chloé, you have all been doing good, important work on the wiki. Between writers and the translators, it's as if the efforts have doubled, and the wiki has benefited. The new translations are already beginning to have an effect, and the kind of hits the wiki is getting has already changed in a few days. Google /translator and the SIF used to be the wiki's biggest readers before, but with the addition of all the new pages, attention has now been brought to the new project, and pages are now being read in other languages.

Free pizza for the translating team!

+++

:cool:

gogo

p.s. I'm also reaching some of the french community I know personally as friends, a little bit from everyone helps with the spirit and adding to the work :)

p.s.s Some posts here were moved to Latest Updates thread so the focus here can be kept on language translation.

• Like! 1