Warning: Open Net deletes Closed Net Shared Chest Items

Schot

Update:

It's been confirmed, reported and will be fixed. If you enter Open Net for the first time your Closed account items in Shared Chest will all disappear.

It's very important that this does not happen to players so what I suggest is that you empty your Shared Chest and then create an Open Net name/account even if you plan never to play in Open Net. This will ensure that you do not accidentally experience this problem. It will only occur upon entering Open Net for the first time so it's best to remove the risk right away.

If you do as Schot suggests, I have a small refinement to the process - leave one virtually worthless item in the shared chest. That way when it is gone, you can be sure you triggered the bug.

I was not sure if just creating the player was enough, or if you had to join a game. I never got my open char into a game, but my 1 gold gray hat disappeared.

Hey there gang. I had the unfortunate experience of losing all my Shared Chest items yesterday and wanted to give you a heads up. It appears as though Open Net is the likely cause of this bug but until it can be tested/proved I can not say this is 100%. My experience however occured directly after trying Open Net for the first time with my account. When entering Open Net for the first time a player is prompted by the game to provide an account name. This name is then updated to Acaron's database with your account entry. I believe that in the process of this update to account info that the Shared Chest is being overwritten. Not a good thing lemme tell you. Again, I can only assume this until it can be proven and this is where I need help. Since I have already created an Open Net account I can not test this again. It's a one shot deal and I would need another game key in order to test this again. Once I have proof of this I can then report it to Ascaron with solid proof. Here's what I am asking:

For those who have never played in Open Net. You can verify that your account has never been on Open Net by whether or not you are prompted to provide a game name when entering open. You will only be asked once and this is where the database update occurs I believe:

• Start game
  • Start Closed Net
  • Play one of your characters
  • Move all important items out of Shared Chest and place in Character Chest or Backpack
  • Put some items you don't care about in Shared Chest
  • Leave Closed
  • Start Open Internet
  • Create Open account (It will ask you to create an account name)
  • Enter a server and make sure game saves character. Take a portal somewhere
  • Leave game
  • Start Closed Internet
  • Load your previously played character of this test
  • Check Shared Chest

In general I would suggest you create an Open Net account right away. If you move everything out of your Shared Chest and then create your Open Net account now then you won't have to worry about this problem in the future. Removing the risk of forgetting about this bug and possibly suffering from it...

Oh geez...hope you didn't have too much in there, but if you're like me then it was probably full :( I haven't set up an Open account yet so I'll give it a go now

Edit: Creating an Open account deletes any items in shared chest

Edited by Knuckles
Update:

It's been confirmed, reported and will be fixed.

If its going to be fixed then I will wait for the fix. :(

I have no intention of going on the Open servers in the near future, but the heads up is much appreciated, thanks :(

• 3 weeks later...

If you do as Schot suggests, I have a small refinement to the process - leave one virtually wothless item in the shared chest. That way when it is gone, you can be sure you triggered the bug.

I was not sure if just creating the player was enough, or if you had to join a game. I never got my open char into a game, but my 1 gold gray hat disappeared.

Question: You say it only happens once - how certain is this? If I delete all my open characters and then create a new one, might it happen again?

If you do as Schot suggests, I have a small refinement to the process - leave one virtually wothless item in the shared chest. That way when it is gone, you can be sure you triggered the bug.

Question: You say it only happens once - how certain is this? If I delete all my open characters and then create a new one, might it happen again?

Your refinement is an excellent addition gial and if you don't mind I'd like to quote that up into the first post. Cause I'm lazy and rather not retype it, lol. Good question about it being "once only". I did in fact delete the one Open character and I'm almost certain I had remade a new Open character for that reason. Concluding that it is in fact a one time. Additionally the Dev report concluded that it is one time. Though there's always a chance that it was not tested thoroughly. I'll check mine again. :P

Optimus, TO THE RESCUE AGAIN!! :P

But in all seriousness... glad to know that it's now "confirmed". I hope it's not something that may hold up them getting the PS3 & Xbox 360 versions pressed and shipped by launch date.

----------------------------------------

On a slightly related note - Has anyone come to the same conclusion as myself that having "Auto Equip" turned on causes the following:

On seemingly random intervals, the game may act like you dropped an item when you were trying to move it to an equipment slot. However, instead of dropping it on the ground, the item is deleted.