Sacred 2 Guide Manager - Release Topic

Hi everyone!

This topic is to inform you about the releases of the Sacred 2 Guide Manager, created by me.

The website :

Sacred 2 Guide Manager Website

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov. 18, 2009 : Website updated!

I added some new features for my Website, such as the possibilty to upload Guides for the Dragon Mage, and a Guide Search function, to find specific or less-specific Guides.

Oct. 15, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.51 Released!

I fixed some skills list for the Seraphim, the Inquisitor and the Dryad.

Oct. 2, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.5 Released!

Here's the new version of the Guide Manager just in time for the expansion. This new version contains the Dragon Mage as well as several improvements.

Aug. 7, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.42 Released!

Fixed some errors/bugs that appeared in version 1.4.

Aug. 6, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.4 Released!

Here is the new version of my Sacred 2 Guide Manager, which now has bigger windows to allow more text to be written and displayed.

You can now explain in detail 8 Combat Arts instead of 6. This new version also containes some fixes.

Aug. 1, 2009 : Brand new Website!

The new website is up. Go check it out!

July 23, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.3 Released!

Here is the new version of my Sacred 2 Guide Manager, containing several improvements and fixes.

Guides are now viewable directly in your internet browser!

An "options" file has been added in order to choose where the guides will be loaded and saved.

Apr. 10 , 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.2 Released!

Here is the new version of my Sacred 2 Guide Manager, finally allowing users to edit their own Guides.

This update also contains several improvements and fixes.

The Attributes system now works as it was first intended. For example, if you selected 40% Vitality and 60% Intelligence,

at levels 11-14, the manager will tell you to place your points in Vitality and at level 15-20,

the manager will tell you to place your points in Intelligence.

***NOTE : The guides created with an earlier version of the Sacred 2 Guide Manager will not work with the version 1.2. ***

Mar. 12, 2009 : Website Improvements!

I made a few changes to the website. I changed the display the the Guides in the Guides page and I allowed the Guestbook and Guides pages to show more results. The Features page has been completely revamped! Go check it out!

Mar. 12, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.1.1.0 Released!

Minor changes have been made with this version : As Antitrust suggested, only one window appears when you level up.

Mar. 5, 2009 : Download Mirror Added!

Since the web hosting I use sometimes doesn't work for some people, Kaynin hosted my Sacred 2 Guide Manager on his side.

Feb. 19, 2009 : Sacred 2 Guide Manager 1.1.0.0 Released!

After several hours of hard work, I am finally ready to release the new and imporved version of my Sacred 2 Guide Manager.

Several interesting changes have been made in order to improve the quality and the convenience of the program.

Feb. 2, 2009 : Version 1.0.2.0 Released!

Tiny update to correct some text that was not correctly displayed.

Jan. 31, 2009 : Version 1.0 Released!

After several hours of programming, testing and listening to people ideas, I am finally able to release the 1.0 version of my Sacred 2 Guide Manager.

Jan. 31, 2009 : Website and Database launched!

I'm quite proud of this one. I created a little website (it's not much, but it's something) containing all the information about the Sacred 2 Guide Manager and also containing the Guides Database, where people who create guides can share their guide with everyone.

This post will be updated as soon as new update will be available, so you can post your "problems/bugs" in this topic.

I hope you will enjoy this little something I made for all of us Sacred 2 fans!

Max

Edited by metal_max64
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's great that you got your release out, Max.

And the page is a good idea. It'd be a great place for guides to be indexed and organised.

I hope it catches on and people will upload. I know I will. :P

Edited by nokka

Appreciated.

Few things I noticed (well firstly your domain is now down, so couldn't upload my guide yet).

There's not enough room to really explain why you choose to use everything in your build. So in your guide you can't implement all the details of why you did everything (simply no room for it all).

Other than that I found it easy to use.

Only one suggestion up till now:

An "edit existing guide" option would be nice, if at all possible.

Otherwise, nice sidestep on the "disappearing skills" problem Schot had mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback!

About Luanne's post :

(well firstly your domain is now down, so couldn't upload my guide yet)

Just tried it and it's up.

There's not enough room to really explain why you choose to use everything in your build. So in your guide you can't implement all the details of why you did everything (simply no room for it all).

I'm aware of this, it's a little sacrifice I made to make text bigger and more convenient to read. When I think about it, my program was made in order to make simple, concise and precise Guides for people willing to follow them. I will see what I can do to find a solution for this.

Other than that I found it easy to use.

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to hear ;)

About nokka's post :

An "edit existing guide" option would be nice, if at all possible.

I might consider doing this, but maybe not in a near future. For the moment, with my program there is no "real" way to "link" someone to a Guide. So if I add this option now, everyone will be able to edit everyone's guide, and that might result a total chaos.

nice sidestep on the "disappearing skills" problem Schot had mentioned.

Thanks! It was my fault to leave it like this even if I knew this would make problems to some people.

Once again, thanks for the feedback! :)

Max

It's very impressive, Max...good job! I can understand the pride that comes from putting something like this together. I hope you glow golden for many months. I've been thinking of putting together some build ideas, and now with your help, it looks like your little builder helper may really come in handy for organizing this.

Here's a screenie for everyone who wants to be impressed.

guidemanager.jpg

+++@ Max

;)

gogo

Just a little reply to say that I'm not dead... and I'm working on a huge update for my program (for those interested).

Max

hey, I said this in the bfg topic, I realised I should have said it here, I have trouble getting the build saved on your site o.O its xml but site wants zip

Yeah you need to zip the Guide (use WinZip or WinRAR or whatever) because of the way I made the database. When you upload a Guide, it will insert a "Direct Download" link in the database, so it will be easier for people to download the Guide. I couldn't do this with an XML file, because the Web Browsers "open" the XML files instead of "download" them.

Hope this helps.

Max

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost ready to release the new version of my program (version 1.1.0.0), I'm just waiting for a "final approval".

Max

Edited by metal_max64

Sorry for the double post, but I'm bumping this topic to announce that I released the new version of my program.

The first post has been updated.

Max

Looking great Max! :D

I did a quick test with your guide manager and created a guide. Nothing planned though, I just chose a bunch of options and then saved the guide. It's looking very nice Max and I'm seeing more and more how useful this will be for people who have never written a build before. Cheers to you dude!

One thing I would like to see is the ability to save an unfinished guide so that I might complete it at a later time as well as the ability to update/change a guide. :)

I'd just like to know something : Is anyone able to upload a Guide into the database? I didn't encouter any problems with this.

I'm asking this because nobody uploaded their guide into the database yet.

Max

I'm having trouble downloading the Guide Manager.

With a 1-2Kb/s download speed and time outs every 30 or so seconds I don't get much past 30Kb. :<

You know, I can host a mirror for you. Would be great if you could send it to my email: me(.at.)fluffywolf(.dot.)com

E-Mail Sent.

For the slow downloads, I think it depends on the time you download it. I live in Quebec and never had any problem downloading it.

EDIT : Mirror added. Big thanks to Kaynin!

Max

Edited by metal_max64

I finally managed to check this out in detail :P Great work indeed :D I uploaded my Queen of Blades, so it works.

The limited space for explanation is not very convenient, but it's possible to compress the text in shorter sentences instead of writing walls of it :)

The level-up is an excellent option :P I'd recommend you to make it so that all suggestions appear in the same window, if possible. Having to click OK three times can quickly become tedious. A single window that includes the "According to the guide..." tips would be more convenient.

Another feature I'd like would be some cookie that remembers the folder you use for the manager. However, I have no idea how difficult these things are to program, so feel free to ignore me ;)

I finally managed to check this out in detail :P Great work indeed :D I uploaded my Queen of Blades, so it works.

The limited space for explanation is not very convenient, but it's possible to compress the text in shorter sentences instead of writing walls of it :)

The level-up is an excellent option :P I'd recommend you to make it so that all suggestions appear in the same window, if possible. Having to click OK three times can quickly become tedious. A single window that includes the "According to the guide..." tips would be more convenient.

Another feature I'd like would be some cookie that remembers the folder you use for the manager. However, I have no idea how difficult these things are to program, so feel free to ignore me ;)

I just saw the Guide you submitted, and I'm glad it works. ;)

About the limited space, I designed the Guide Manager in order to "not" write wall of text, just a clear and precise sentences.

About the suggestions in the same window, that's a great idea you have. I'll see what I can do during the next few days.

About the cookie, I'm not too sure how it works, I'll try to find out.

Thanks for the feedback and the interest about my program! :)

Max

Great, now the tips come in single window :)

I tried following my guide, but it got stuck at level 51 :D Maybe it's because I put only the basic skill point guidelines? I suggested 20 hard skill points for most skills so that people can make some decisions themselves.

Also I suggested 70% of attributes to go into Vitality, and 30% in Willpower, but it seems to only suggest Vitality. Does it suggest that until you actually spend 70% of the total available stat points at level 200?

Hmm, I might be missing something, need to play with the manager a bit more...

First of all, thanks for all your great posts anti-trust, been reading them :-) So I am trying out the Seraphim guide since my old shopper had some wrong choices there ;-)

Anyway, about your Seraphim guide, when you pick armor lore at level 2 it suggests to put points at your choice where you actually have to start with 5 in tactics to be able to pick dual wield at 5.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make that work, along with the stat points... :evil:

This is mostly because the algorithm I made for the skill points and the stats are not as efficient as I expected. If it really becomes a major problem, I'll try my best to improve it.

EDIT : @Beng : I suppose you are the Peter who made an entry in my Guestbook. Thanks a lot for this great entry! About the PayPal donations, I'm not too sure if that's legal since I think I'm using copyrighted stuff. Maybe some admin or mod (Gogo, Schot, Llama, just to name a few) could give an answer about this.

Max

Edited by metal_max64
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to make that work, along with the stat points... :evil:

This is mostly because the algorithm I made for the skill points and the stats are not as efficient as I expected. If it really becomes a major problem, I'll try my best to improve it.

EDIT : @Beng : I suppose you are the Peter who made an entry in my Guestbook. Thanks a lot for this great entry! About the PayPal donations, I'm not too sure if that's legal since I think I'm using copyrighted stuff. Maybe some admin or mod (Gogo, Schot, Llama, just to name a few) could give an answer about this.

Max

Haha you found me out. yes, I am the same person. If you ask for a site donation (and not for the program) you should have no legal issues ;-)

About the in correct advice: your algorithm should check if the minimal requirements are met for the skill. Your gonna need this check anyway, not all skills are available for all classes. You should have all the information you need:

- Character class

- Current level

- Skill point distribution sofar

Now when the user presses level up, you can check if the next 2 or 3 skills have a requirement of a minimal number of skillpoints in a already picked skill. You can then advice the user to put at least this number of points in a certain skill for that level. Anyway, let me know if this advice helped. Have fun buddy!

All the best,

Beng.

Edited by Beng Blackheart