The self-sufficient High Elf - it's all about performance!

I noticed there hasn't been discussion of the reflection mod of incandescent skin. I'm interested in your damage mitigation thread and you list this mod as one of the necessities for a high-elf to acheive demi-godhood. How would you change this build if using the reflection mod on incandescent skin (ex: adding some points to stamina to compensate, and if yes how many?)

Also, if using combos on console, we are penalized because attack speed will determine execution speed instead of lore, so in this case would you recommend not taking CD since there is no weapon skill in the build?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CD is paramount. It improves the damage of all CAs (and the HE relies only on her CAs) and thus even if there is no bonus to regen times, it is still very, very important.

As for the reflection... if you have less options to reduce CA regen times on console, why would you want reflection? The task is to kill the mobs before they get to you - not when they're hacking at you. If they manage to get way too close and start taking chunks out of you, this means you either have problems with the build or with the CA damage. I realize this is inevitable in some cases, but still, this HE is powerful enough to survive a few hits.

You should keep in mind that the HE has a tough time achieving demi-godhood. It will be possible somewhere in niobium for her, unless you manage to get a good chance to block close combat (mainly) combined with shield lore mastery early on. You should also know that demi-godhood is not possible for a HE before level 75 - she needs armor lore mastery, shield mastery and constitution mastery (which should be achievable by level 93-94) before you start seeing some demi-god status.

Hi all and especially Dobri :P

Very nice guide, I love playing my self sufficient HE in SC solo, where it really needs to be sufficient ;)

No questions so far, a lot have been answered in several posts here.

I'm just always looking for +skills, +bargaining or + general skills items in order to achieve the level*2 in bargaining !

For now on I don't use a lot IS, maybe because I modded BT first and use it all the time :)

I'm only level 23 by the way ;) But I played a SW level 50 in gold and the gameplays are so different, it's really great. Since Diablo II I didn't play any hack&slash like Sacred 2 (euh Sacred 1 maybe :):o ), the best h&s before Diablo III ? I don't care for now I just love playing it :)

Keep on doing such a great work !

• 3 weeks later...
CD is paramount. It improves the damage of all CAs (and the HE relies only on her CAs) and thus even if there is no bonus to regen times, it is still very, very important.

As for the reflection... if you have less options to reduce CA regen times on console, why would you want reflection? The task is to kill the mobs before they get to you - not when they're hacking at you. If they manage to get way too close and start taking chunks out of you, this means you either have problems with the build or with the CA damage. I realize this is inevitable in some cases, but still, this HE is powerful enough to survive a few hits.

You should keep in mind that the HE has a tough time achieving demi-godhood. It will be possible somewhere in niobium for her, unless you manage to get a good chance to block close combat (mainly) combined with shield lore mastery early on. You should also know that demi-godhood is not possible for a HE before level 75 - she needs armor lore mastery, shield mastery and constitution mastery (which should be achievable by level 93-94) before you start seeing some demi-god status.

So do you recommend taking CD over Shield Lore at level 65 now? Or do you go back to what you did on your latest build and take CD and Shield Lore and get rid of EP?

The last build I did was subbing EP for CD and it worked wonders. I still had to do a number of boss runs to compensate for the lack of EP and still find all the equipment I need.

So if I were to choose a skill to leave out between Shield lore and EP - I would choose EP anytime.

The last build I did was subbing EP for CD and it worked wonders. I still had to do a number of boss runs to compensate for the lack of EP and still find all the equipment I need.

So if I were to choose a skill to leave out between Shield lore and EP - I would choose EP anytime.

I'm thinking I'll move everything up after Barg. at 8 and take CD at 50 and Shield Lore at 65. I tried this build when I first got the game when it was released on the PS3 and got my ass handed to me seeing I had no idea what I was doing. Now after many months and about 400 hours into the game with various builds, I tried it again the other night and had a blast, ran her up to 18 in just about 3 hours. You've done a nice job putting this together - Thanks Dobri.

Hello, guys!

First of all - congratulations and thank you for the great guide, Dobri. I've read other posts by you (on the Sacred off. forum too) and found them very helpful. It's rather funny to address my questions to you in English (since we're both Bulgarians), but I think that your reply may be of good use for other players too. So let's go on topic.

I'm pretty new to the game - started playing about a week ago. I'm also big fan of hack'n'slash rpg-s. My favourite characters are pure casters, so no surprise I picked the HE and the pyro build. Right now I'm level 56 at the very end of Gold difficulty. A lot of +to all items - sockets, etc - just like it should be. I spoiled some of the stat points (put around 15 in stamina, because I started this char before I found your guide and didn't know that later on I wouldn't need those points at all). I doubt that's the source of my problem. Since level 50 I'm on a crossroad - I haven't invested any of the extra points (by extra I mean 3 per level - the rest I put in lore/focus). I'm playing lan (in fact hamachi, whatever) with a friend of mine whose char pick is Dryad. We're actually a killing machine - especailly the bosses die very quickly being entangled and showered. :thumbsupsmiley: The problem is that I'm having a really hard time surviving. I'm around 4.5k of hp, my armor is probably pretty low, the defense rating too, so I get hit frequently and suffer heavy damage. The little scorpions in the desert, for instance, do ridiculous amount of damage to me. And it's not just them - the panthers too, and so on. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. My question is: should I master armor lore or constitution first and which of them increases survivability later on? Another thing I was wondering is around which level do the damage mitigation items appear, since I think that's the key to success (based on one of your posts in the off. forum too). The high risk of death spoils my whole gameplay strategy since I can't gather big groups of monsters and BT them, fearing I would die in couple of hits. My last question is not related to my defensive problems, but to one game mechanic aspect I couldn't find info of. What the hell does the +%damage mod. really do? How and which kind of damage does it affect?

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to reading your advices!

Edited by SunChariot

I would love to answer in Bulgarian, but gogo will kill me - although Katran will understand every word I say here.

So:

should I master armor lore or constitution first and which of them increases survivability later on?

-> both do. So, master constitution first, followed by armor lore. If you invested the skill points properly, by level 75 you should have 3 masteries - bargaining, pyro lore, pyro focus, followed by constitution at level 78. On level 93 you should master armor lore, and then it's all a matter of common sense.

I was wondering is around which level do the damage mitigation items appear

-> glacial defender is available from level 15 upwards. Armors with damage mitigation based on armor lore mastery start popping up from level 75 upwards.

What the hell does the +%damage mod. really do? How and which kind of damage does it affect?

-> + %damage means + all kinds of damage (phys/fire/ice/magic/poison), and as such, it is a great thing to socket, especially if you have an access to a niob smith.

Looking at your post I can offer these pointers:

-> buy as much + all skills as you can, complemented by chance to block: close combat or chance to block

-> farm bosses (griffon/boar/gar'collosus/octagolamus/kral/scorpion, etc.) for set and unique items that will complement the build or have the most sockets

As soon as you get decent equipment boosted by enough + all skills, the going will become a lot easier.

And welcome to the FDM. It is nice to see another Bulgarian around :thumbsupsmiley:

Thank you for the quick answer and the warm welcome! I intend to stick around, moreover I found very useful information here. :)

I will follow your advice, regarding the skill points distribution - that was my main concern. I'm a little afraid to go for boss runs right now, but I'll try some for sure and find the safest one. Regardind the defensive aspect of the game I have another (probably dull) question, but I'm new so hope you'll forgive. :) Generally I'm used to getting rarely hit by enemies. Your proposition is to improve my chance to block (I will certainly go for it). The question is: should I also try to boost my defense value/armor by items with that kind of mods (so far it didn't work for me, although I have only shopped for items, no boss runs, just a bunch of set/uniques from champions) or a lot of HP, block and +to all skills will do it?

I asked you about the + %damage because I also thought that it should improve all damage types, but I was very confused of the results of the following experiment: At some point I had my IS's damage around 500. I bought a ring with ~ + 13% dmg and expected my damage to rise around 550 and better. It didn't - it went around 525 or sth (can't remember the correct numbers but the difference was significant). Does this mean that this mod is applied on some "base" damage and not to the number, affected by the pyro lore for instance?

Edit: I just tried the boar and I did well. I got robe of innocence which is great for me and will surely encourage more runs. Thank you!

Edited by SunChariot

should I also try to boost my defense value/armor by items with that kind of mods (so far it didn't work for me, although I have only shopped for items, no boss runs, just a bunch of set/uniques from champions) or a lot of HP, block and +to all skills will do it?

-> ummm, no :) As a HE, you have very few option to reduce the chance to be hit and the incoming damage. As such you are supposed to make your combat arts be your defense. This means good level of blazing tempest, good level of incendiary shower and so on. If the mob is dead, it can't hit you. As a HE, it is as simple as that. Generally, if the enemies get the chance to get more than a few hits at you, this means you have some issues with your char you need to work out. This means dramatically upgrading the equipment and getting more offensive (or defensive) options.

I asked you about the + %damage because I also thought that it should improve all damage types, but I was very confused of the results of the following experiment: At some point I had my IS's damage around 500. I bought a ring with ~ + 13% dmg and expected my damage to rise around 550 and better. It didn't - it went around 525 or sth (can't remember the correct numbers but the difference was significant). Does this mean that this mod is applied on some "base" damage and not to the number, affected by the pyro lore for instance?

-> the thing here is that the game mechanics are not exposed to the player at all. You can try adding/removing equipment to see how it goes, but I can't tell you how +% damage affects the combat arts. For example, a level 1 BT, boosted by +600% damage inflicts about 200 fire damage per second + the initial damage. +600% damage is achieved by good level 15-20 set items with the most sockets and niobium blacksmith arts. Since I have absolutely no idea what the game mechanics are in this case, I wouldn't even try giving out pointers :)

• 2 months later...

I named this build: Xiaofang Wu...best translation was Fire Dance or Dancing Fire... whichever in Mandarin Chinese..I was going to use her Japanese counterpart Maika but I went for Chinese instead.

I enjoy this build a lot but I made Concentration first, and I waited til I was level 6 to add points so that way I can also get ancient magic...for me I think both of those are important because she starts off pretty damage-lacking. and I love using blazing tempest and in hopes my girl will do a lot more damage on hit than on burn...this way I don't always have to get a hit from many monsters from the mobs. after ancient magic, I gave the arrant focus. now after that, I gave her all the rest you suggested and such. So far the only problem I've had was against the White Griffin. He's a big meanie and tries to take away my buffs all the time :) and I can't expulse magic fast enough in some cases, I'll be like ready to cast it and in some instances he's already taking away my buffs lol

she is a dream on the rest of the bosses. I was once too eager to give my characters tactics+weapon(sometimes dual when not dealing with characters that cannot use this)..just so that when it comes down to close combat, I can hit fast and forget it. Right now I have Blazing Tempest going at 2.1/s and Fireball at like 1.8s ...then I have Magic Coup at 1.1/s :) oh how she rocks the house with that move...it's almost like her damage can outdo every other characters with it.

I make due right now with my runes and such, I boost only my grand invigoration most of the time

I'd like to give her a latin name :P Pyre Invigoratus

• 1 month later...
So far the build works like a charm. Rushing through difficulties is not a problem at all :) I have added a screenshot in the awesome chars section which I'll be updating regularly to show my progress.

Thank you for the experiment. I am new to mage and I was freking out when my fireball whent from 1.6 sec to 1.9 :( seconds after eating a second rune. its good to know I didnt ruin the build.

I Am eagerly awiting your result you will get eating many runes with fire deamon buff moded to gold.

The result of 200 runes into the Fire Demon and fully modded with: Power/Lively/Power gives me a demon that do around 25K with each hit of his fireball.

With 200(combat art level 70 demon level 225) runes the regen penalty is only 39%, only concentration is mastered of the regen reduction skills, and when Pyromancer Focus mastered the regen penalty will almost be non existant.

Welcome :(

• 2 months later...

This means a battle set with enough "Chance to find valuables +%" modifiers in it - both innate and gained through socketed rings or amulets. As for what's enough... try to keep it over +100% at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try a Pryo HE in ice and blood, and just wondering if experttouch mod would be worth it? Would shadow step still be useful if it is on the same cooldown regeneration as pryo spells? or would that be way too risky.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

it’s really good guide. My HE is now 44level, (Arrant Pyromancer lore, Concentation, Bargaining, Delphic Arcania Lore, Enhanced perception, Armor lore, Delphic Arcana Focus, Constitution) I fought, that I need DAL to get Delp. Arc. Focus, so this skill was the wrong decision. Anyway I read your guide and realized, that I did some mistakes.

I will begin my HE once more, I have some questions.

Do you think that EP is good to get? I think that set items aren’t so good. I use EP to get better items to sell them and get gold to buy useful things. Is it worth in higher levels? Maybe Combat Discipline is better?

I’m still in silver, how do you get to gold so fast? You did only the main quests to get to higher difficulty?

Thanks

:gun2:

Enhanced perception is nice, but it's all down to personal preference. In this build, Armor lore + Shield Lore + Constitution should technically keep her alive. If you want to maximize the gain, subbing enhanced perception for Combat Discipline and getting Shield Lore as last pick would do nicely in my opinion.

I kept enhanced perception, because this was the general idea for the build - to be self sufficient :P If you feel you won't need it, feel free to sub it for CD and have fun with the extra damage and defense rating. In my opinion, it's a great choice.

Thank you for your help and your quick answer.

Before I found these pages, I played almost with the same build as you write here. :P

But I made some mistakes (I choosed Delphic Arcania Lore), and your guide helped me to understand the system. I played Diablo I, II, Sacred, Oblivion etc. and I really like to find some good gear, so I realized, that EP is really good, so I choose this skill.

Thanks

I have another question; did anybody test the difference between stamina and intelligence? I know that Stamina decreases the general regeneration time of combat arts and Intelligence increases the chance that a spell hits the target with full force and that magic staffs and spells will additionally increase the damage output. So stamina decreases regtime, and I can read more runes, which increase the damage and sometimes CA level chance to something (for example Greek Fire - Increases the chance that the hit opponent will burn. (29.7% + 0.3% per CA level chance). This could be good too.

Intelligence increases the chance that a spell hit the target - it is important too.

What do you prefer? Invest to Stamina and read more runes or invest to Intelligence? And why?

:P

Thanks

My personal preference is:

1. Get good regen times by shopping for all skills, - regen time and so on.

2. Read runes based on your gear.

3. Invest all points in vitality.

Since I play HC, I'm worried about the little one. She's frail, she sometimes may get one-shot, leeched, poisoned to death and so on. A lot of vitality ensures that she will survive. Granted, her damage will be slightly lower, but I'd rather have a slightly weaker toon than dead toon.

Hmmm, that’s true, so Grand Invigoration, Vitality, Constitution, Armor lore and Shield Lore help you stay alive.

Another thing is, that Survival bonus is the best bonus you can get, so you have to stay alive to get this bonus to the highest numbers.

Yeee I know that you can show me some aspects of the game, that I don’t know yet :)

Thanks

• 1 month later...

It's in general, a matter of personal preference. I usually sacrifice some firepower and put everything into vitality for any char I make, unless there are certain specifics that can interfere with that - like generally higher regen times in which case, I add some stamina (like pure caster seraphim or pure caster inquisitor). However, I suppose going the 1 vit till 50, 1 vit/1 int till 150 and 1 vit/2int from 150 onward won't hurt.

• 3 months later...
Nice guide and something I was thinking of as a trader to go alongside my multitude of chars. Athough I started my own today before seeing this, DOH!

So might restart, hell 14 is nothing hehe!

One thing about the fireball, while playing I took the Fusilade skill, and it is a bit hit and miss. It does spilt, but even with the hot pursuit, it they won't always both hit a solo target. I was thinking it would be better to take the Glode mod. Seems better to make sure that you get max damage on 1 target, than have 1 hit and 1 miss, which has been the case 75% of the time.

Sure it nice if you have 2 targets ahead of you but then you might as well use BT for them.

I chose fusillade (w/o hot pursuit) and even at point blank both fireballs rarely hit the same enemy, I've noticed (after following the fireballs that "missed") that it seems like one hits the targeted enemy while the other targets the next-nearest enemy (which sometimes isn't anywhere near me). So I think I'll try globe on this character :)

Though, if you're going fire wouldn't damage lore be good (for the + %damage for secondary effects-more burn damage)? Just wondering as I think I'll be leaving EP out (want a shopper mainly, and playing a fire HE as opposed to fire/ice sounds like fun), and taking something else instead.