Enhanced Perception and Magic Find - Item Drop Explanation

I asked the devs & got the following info from them on EP & item drops:

1)a calculation is made as to whether an item is dropped at all.

2)assuming an item drops, a random number is then calculated & what it is determins what quality of item drops (as an example, picking numbers of my ####): for a random number generated between 0 & 1,000, if you roll 990 - 1,000, you'd get a unique item, if you roll 960 - 989 you'd get a set, 920 - 959 & you'd get a rare, 860 - 919 & you'd get a magic item, 0-859 & you get a junk item (each "bin" getting smaller as you go up the item quality scale).

MF increases the size of the unique/set/rare/magic "bins" at the expense of the junk bin. If the chance to drop a junk item reached 0, the magic item bin would be reduced, etc.

That's how item drops work, now onto EP...

EP gives a bonus to Magic Find that affects all item drops from monsters, despite the tooltip not displaying it until you reach the Mastery (& yes, I've posted that as a tooltip bug).

EP Mastery gives you a better chance to find nice stuff from chests/barrels/magical hiding places (as it says that's the "find a hidden compartment" bit in the description).

EP (apparently) helps to uncover invisible foes from a closer distance, though the only ones I'm aware of are in the Unique Mount quest.

EP does not affect the quantity of item drops (it lets you find better stuff, not more stuff, that might be why they moved the "is an item dropped at all" bit out of #2) & it does not help you find more magical hiding places.

2)assuming an item drops, a random number is then calculated & what it is determins what quality of item drops (as an example, picking numbers of my ####): for a random number generated between 0 & 1,000, if you roll 990 - 1,000, you'd get a unique item, if you roll 960 - 989 you'd get a set, 920 - 959 & you'd get a rare, 860 - 919 & you'd get a magic item, 0-859 & you get a junk item (each "bin" getting smaller as you go up the item quality scale).

MF increases the size of the unique/set/rare/magic "bins" at the expense of the junk bin. If the chance to drop a junk item reached 0, the magic item bin would be reduced, etc.

EP gives a bonus to Magic Find that affects all item drops from monsters, despite the tooltip not displaying it until you reach the Mastery (& yes, I've posted that as a tooltip bug).

EP Mastery gives you a better chance to find nice stuff from chests/barrels/magical hiding places (as it says that's the "find a hidden compartment" bit in the description).

EP (apparently) helps to uncover invisible foes from a closer distance, though the only ones I'm aware of are in the Unique Mount quest.

EP does not affect the quantity of item drops (it lets you find better stuff, not more stuff, that might be why they moved the "is an item dropped at all" bit out of #2) & it does not help you find more magical hiding places.

Very nice info Llama. This might be able to help explain what the heck are the "initialization types" that I was referring to in that post I made on the item drop mechanics.

it does increase the number of containers available to be searched, though, yes? (I.e. the number of barrels allowed to be searched, not just with an error symbol over, yes?). I realise any given container will have the same chance of containing stuff etc.

I've noticed EP do the following in this regard -

-More traps show up in dungeons when you have EP as a skill.

-Monsters (seem to) respawn faster in dungeons with EP.

it does increase the number of containers available to be searched, though, yes? (I.e. the number of barrels allowed to be searched, not just with an error symbol over, yes?).

No, nothing changes that.

• 4 months later...

Enhanced Perception affects the drops from enemies, yes?

I know all about secret hiding places and chests and barrels and stuff, but there's no mention of item drops....

It probably does, but I'd just like to make sure before I scrap my lvl40 bronze Seraphim and start a fresh silver one.

Edited by Schot
Merged this post from a different topic into this one.

hmm, well.. I think I have read somewhere else something about EP.. afaik/iirc it was:

''EP only gives a direct %boost to MF for chests barrels etc.. (the green value in skill-tooltip)''

''EP does not add the %MF value shown in skill-tooltip to the other global mf% value shown in char-overview (the green one from skill tooltip is for chests etc only)''

''EP (and subsequently, higher EP lvls) however DOES increase the value of %MF item-mods.. (the blue ones, unlocked by EP once u pick that skill)''

cant remember the rest of it atm and dont wanna mess it up with a incorrect translation of whatever I 'think' I 'might' be still able to rephrase/depict..

also, I cant say wheter the above is correct/incorrect..

what I can tell, is that from my own experience at least is, that I wasnt able to feel a major difference in quality+quantity of monster drops with or without EP (and no MF items unlocked by EP)

but ofc, its nice to get a real high MF% value with the help of 'EP unlocked items' .. eg., my level 200 dryad has smth like 490%MF in total on her MF test-suit atm (global yellow tooltip)

but, again.. I wasnt able yet to feel much difference between ~100% MF or ~500% mf , maybe its capped or just doesnt matter that much (considering that my kill speed drastically dropped when trying to equip 'as much MF as possible' .. which means 'as much MF as possible ISN'T the best choice always if at all, in any case)

as long as your kill speed or requirements in defence arent affected/decreased too much, adding MF however is always a nice thing to try out...

Edited by Schot

Yup. A developer from Ascaron stated that EP does affect drops from enemies. :smile:

P.s.

I'm going to join this topic with the topic that Llama began about this and that anwsers your question Blokeymon more directly.

Edited by Schot

I agree to Rorluchs, I can´t feel more or better set/rare itemsdrop.

But what I see is, with EP stronger potens drop earlyer, the amont of dropped gold is higher, and chests and barrels drop more often setitems and well yellow items.

But I cant notice any difference in Bossloot.

I decided for myself not to take EP in any future Build.

It is luck anyway!

There seems to be conflicting opinions on what the skill does. Many say adding points into this skill alone will enhance your chance to find valuables. Others disagree, claiming that this skill only works as a modifier for “% to find valuables” on equipment. I have this skill on my seraphim. I'm afraid to pump points into it if the only return I'm gaining is “Increases chance of "seeing" invisible monsters and "magical hiding places."”. I picked this skill solely for the purpose of acquiring more valuable gear. Does anyone have any evidence proving one way or the other?

While I'm here, one final question. Is blacksmithing still broken on the Xbox version of this game?

Heya,

srry, don't have the evidence for you. Hear say for me. Other things that improve your chances are:

-Map exploration (read that would be .25 chance on 1% explored)

-number of quests done

Again, I myself cannot provide the evidence.... and am playing the PC version.

Greetz

• 2 weeks later...

First class info as usual Llama. Bumped for posterity

:)

gogo

I didn't know where else to put this so I'm throwing it in here. I just got perception mastery and says it the chance to find valuables in my description was 224.8% after relics and +Skills and such.So I was like hell yeah when I first came aross this because my CTFV before that was already 200%+ so I'm thinking after mastery my CTFV is now 400%+ right? Wrong! It didn't even move! So does the percent that mastery give you add to your base? Or is it just another glitch that plagues the console?

• 4 weeks later...

if I walk my a magical hiding place it says magical hiding place say in the grass or on a hill and you go over to it and there is an item there. Also, when your walking around killing stuff watch for the little sparkles they are items could be good but EP is why you see them.

Is the general conclusion from this that EP does not really help finding set/uniques that much and that characters are better off taking another skill instead of it? Ex: Characters with bargainin as a first choice should get only that as a general skill and those that have to take another skill before bargaining should take riding or blacksmithing?

Is it easy enough to get the set items you need without EP to make it just not worth it? Thanks.

Is the general conclusion from this that EP does not really help finding set/uniques that much and that characters are better off taking another skill instead of it? Ex: Characters with bargainin as a first choice should get only that as a general skill and those that have to take another skill before bargaining should take riding or blacksmithing?

Is it easy enough to get the set items you need without EP to make it just not worth it? Thanks.

If you have read this:

As we all know White Griffon, Boar, Dark Prince are all great farming places for set pieces. I can say this My level 74 Seraphim without EP taken has only found 3 set pieces in about 40 runs orc cave included. I even looked to see my MF with out two 10% rings on I had .60 (uncovering the map). I found nothing only when I had this 20% on did I find any set items.

So having none compared to having EP does help along with how quicly you can kill them is also taken in to account. Which I had no problem doing quickly.

Now my level 55 Summoner Shadow Warrior has EP at level 55 and finds sets in chests along with those mini boses along with orc caves more often than my Seraphim. His killing speed is slower than hers.

So does it matter and I say yes having high MF compared to having none gives you a better chance.

• 5 months later...

now with the ice & blood expansion - regarding the enhanced perception skill ,

have they only modified the tooltip of EP a little, or also the way it (should) work ?

besides this, and more important:

Recently, I remembered how I always wanted to create a " safe-cracker " build,

dedicated to farm chests, barrels, crates and other 'crackables' ..

(but got distracted and been busy with something else, never got it started seriously)

I was pretty sure I once posted about this in the past already, but for some reason I was unable to find my old posts here or on SIF, shame on me *blush* ... :

The problem with 'farming' chests is, that it seems that those that have a 'high' chance to drop anything 'good' are pretty rare it seems..

I never stuck to farming crates for long,

and the only nice place for this I remember is in that second small dungeon near to the drop-off location of 'starting isle-portal 8' as it is referred to on http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=6517

There are 4 'big' chests behind a closed door, they belong to a quest.. (which I cant remember the name and it's starting point atm)

however, the dryad for example can 'sneak' into and rob the 'safes', using her [Forest Flight Combat Art ..

I found these chests unqiue as there are no monsters on the way down there, so you can concentrate on an 'extreme EP' / MF equip disregarding any other stats on your equip..

Later, sometimes I also visited the grunwald forest - dragon sometimes, he has some nice chests there too..

Recently, I came upon The invisible Maze (Bloodforest) in Ice & Blood ..

one of the small dungeons you can fall into when you step on the wrong tile, has some nice crates in it too..

but, these three places are all I ever visited yet..

are there other nice chests/crates with higher droprates/chance then the 'usual' ones ?

(maybe near to all those other mini-bosses , dragons, quests, hidden places etc..)

Edited by Rotluchs

Didn't someone post that the best drops from crates/hiding places/chests etc... was Seraphim Island? (Probably due to the added risk of spawning a T-mutant monster)

Have you tried on Seraphim Island?