Jump to content
gogoblender

A Brief History of DarkMatters

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, gogoblender said:

YOu were definitely missed friend... but oh what a reason for  it...  a new laptop (well almost :D) 

I was hoping to get one of those 2 TB gigs... ... are you keeping a lot of photos or movies on your drive?

Happy to see you back Theuns!

:)

 

gogo

 

 

Thank you, and it is great to be back.

 

I do have quite a few family fotos, but mostly series, movies, music and games. I could've gone for a 1tb, but the price difference justified the 2tb... and it boots and loads soooo much faster now than it did with the HDD.  

I have filled up about 1.3tb since I've gotten it back... and I don't even have all my music back yet.

8 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Insane

the shadows flying over the cobbled streets are breathtaking

🥰

gogo

 

The test is visually very pleasing. I am surprised that they don't have any water...? Have I gotten so far behind that fluids/water flowing is not a part of a benchmark test anymore?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Delta! said:

 

Thank you, and it is great to be back.

 

I do have quite a few family fotos, but mostly series, movies, music and games. I could've gone for a 1tb, but the price difference justified the 2tb... and it boots and loads soooo much faster now than it did with the HDD.  

I have filled up about 1.3tb since I've gotten it back... and I don't even have all my music back yet.

 

The test is visually very pleasing. I am surprised that they don't have any water...? Have I gotten so far behind that fluids/water flowing is not a part of a benchmark test anymore?

Indeed, even Unigine's newest and 3D benchmark, Superposition, has no water. There are other factors that are employed to assess processing and test PhysX effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

 

Thank you, and it is great to be back.

 

I do have quite a few family fotos, but mostly series, movies, music and games. I could've gone for a 1tb, but the price difference justified the 2tb... and it boots and loads soooo much faster now than it did with the HDD.  

I have filled up about 1.3tb since I've gotten it back... and I don't even have all my music back yet.

 

The test is visually very pleasing. I am surprised that they don't have any water...? Have I gotten so far behind that fluids/water flowing is not a part of a benchmark test anymore?

How fast is the up and download speed in your area

have you considered just keeping your data in a offline drive or even cloud?

I know that adding so much ssd to a laptop is pricey... though I have been thinking about it myself

:lol:

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gogoblender said:

How fast is the up and download speed in your area

have you considered just keeping your data in a offline drive or even cloud?

I know that adding so much ssd to a laptop is pricey... though I have been thinking about it myself

:lol:

 

gogo

 

I am not 100% sure how fast it is. I have tried playing Dota 2 online once, and my connection was fine, even though I accidentally kicked someone out because they paused, I thought I did something wrong and clicked "continue"... yeah, he was one of the best ones on the team, and the rest of the team was pretty upset with me... so that was the beginning and end of my online playing career. Mortal Kombat 10 that I bought as a Bday present for my Fiance was 35.6GB and took a day and a half to download, while we where busy downloading movies + series, watching Netflix, being online most of the time... so I suppose it is nothing to complain about, for the most part it is pretty stable...

 

I do not know how to do the offline drive/cloud thing... :dntknw::unsure::whistle: I are noob....:tomato:

 

I have been very happy with the SSD. definitely worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Delta! said:

I do not know how to do the offline drive/cloud thing... :dntknw::unsure::whistle: I are noob....:tomato:

 

I have been very happy with the SSD. definitely worth it.

I imagine gogo meant use either an external hard drive (offline drive) or something like google drive / dropbox / one drive (cloud drive) on your computer which will sync your files with their cloud service - in my experience this is as simple as installing the chosen software and pointing it at a specific folder(s) and it will do all the uploading in the background whilst you use windows as normal.

 

And yes, SSD is the best upgrade to pretty much any computer without one!

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh. right, well I already have 2 external hard drives... a 1tb and my old desktop hdd 250GB that I put in a casing, unless someone accidentally formats them, like my fiance did to my 1tb. It had all my movies, series, and music that I had been collecting since primary school... well, I forgave him and still love him.

 

The google drive/dropbox is not something I have tried before...

  • Like! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

I imagine gogo meant use either an external hard drive (offline drive) or something like google drive / dropbox / one drive (cloud drive) on your computer which will sync your files with their cloud service - in my experience this is as simple as installing the chosen software and pointing it at a specific folder(s) and it will do all the uploading in the background whilst you use windows as normal.

 

And yes, SSD is the best upgrade to pretty much any computer without one!

I agree that a Solid State Drive is a wise choice, as it speeds the data transfer rate significantly and hence ones computer's speed. I don't trust the reliability of cloud storage and the many publicized breaches of companies' data indicates a lack in assured security. I much prefer saving my data on external drives which do not rely on internet connectivity for on demand retrieval.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2009 at 6:47 PM, bhj said:

yeah "the feeling" is sneaking up on you just talking about it :P:):dance:

 

growschot.gif

Hmm what happened to the time ? I posted that over 10 years ago :Just_Cuz_21::oooo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 2:00 AM, bhj said:

Hmm what happened to the time ? I posted that over 10 years ago :Just_Cuz_21::oooo:

heh... it has a way of dropping away quickly in this place... nostalgia alones pulls in thousands of readers year after year just wanting to see if where their gaming got started from is still here... 

I'm hoping that one day that love bug forum will come back... if at least with a warning to wear sunglasses ^^

 

:lol:

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm mostly a Lurker on Darkmatters, but do try to follow most of the topics that gestate on the board. Sometimes I even participate. I haven't been a member all that long, but I remember playing Sacred using a copy I had to purchase from the UK because it wasn't available in the US yet.

I like having a 512GB SSD as my boot drive on the PC I built but recently it has decided to not recognize the SSD sometimes and tries to boot from the 4TB data only harddrive. When it first happened, I panicked. Now I just go into BIOS and reset everything. I suppose I should get a spare SSD and make a copy but having heard there is an i9 intel processor, I want to get one of those.

We also have iffy power here in the US, though I imagine not quite as bad as in South Africa. I have everything important on individual UPS boxes. It gives me a feeling of security to know that my electronics are protected.

  • Appreciation 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my father gifted me sacred gold 1 for Christmas and I was hooked on the game after. I discovered the wiki late 2017 and then this about a month later. I have contributed to several of the unfilled quest entries for sacred 1. thats about it.

  • Appreciation 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 4:51 PM, Whisky said:

my father gifted me sacred gold 1 for Christmas and I was hooked on the game after. I discovered the wiki late 2017 and then this about a month later. I have contributed to several of the unfilled quest entries for sacred 1. thats about it.

A perfect gift.  And with that, your work found its way into the game via it's Wiki

Thank you!

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 4:19 PM, Spock said:

I'm mostly a Lurker on Darkmatters, but do try to follow most of the topics that gestate on the board. Sometimes I even participate. I haven't been a member all that long, but I remember playing Sacred using a copy I had to purchase from the UK because it wasn't available in the US yet.

I like having a 512GB SSD as my boot drive on the PC I built but recently it has decided to not recognize the SSD sometimes and tries to boot from the 4TB data only harddrive. When it first happened, I panicked. Now I just go into BIOS and reset everything. I suppose I should get a spare SSD and make a copy but having heard there is an i9 intel processor, I want to get one of those.

We also have iffy power here in the US, though I imagine not quite as bad as in South Africa. I have everything important on individual UPS boxes. It gives me a feeling of security to know that my electronics are protected.

Iffy power? Spock r u on the East Coast?

:)

 

gogo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Iffy power? Spock r u on the East Coast?

:)

 

gogo

Fairly close, yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×