New PhysX effects with next patch

Hi everyone,

Coming from the SIF, posted by a member, here is an overview of the PhysX effects that you see in the game with a next patch: pcgameshardware.

I've myself had a real taste of these new effects and WOW I love the windy effects of vortex with the leaves and light effects on spells. The "particles" are splendid also, especially their movement. And it works with my Geforce 8600 GTS :lol:

With the addition of textures and effects that will add "lags" of the small configurations (It's fine for me for the moment) but the option can be disable of course. I look forward to it!

Do want do want!

Yeah I read about this yesterday (I translated from German).

This patch with the new effects really looks awesome. Isn't it supposed to come out at the end of March (like in a whole month)?

Too bad I won't be able to use these effects. :lol:

Max

Awh, I wants physx too! I'm using an ATI card which I love dearly but won't run physx. Well that's not 100% true. The 3800's can be modified to run Physx from what I just read from a google search. ATI Runs PhysX With Modified Drivers. Intentions are that a mod for the 4800's is under developement but against the approval of both Nvidea and AMD ATI. So there isn't much talk about it sadly. We can hope though. :lol:

Granted there will be other things to enjoy aside from physx. :)

P.s.

Oh hmmm. I think we now know where the game area Grunwald got it's name. The person being interviewed from Stephane's article link is Chris Grunwald. Cool.

Now how about fixing the bugs first? PhysX is cool, but the game has enough issues to be solved... and let's hope that solving those issues doesn't cause more in their place :lol:

Well... let's hope it'll run on Geforce 8500 GT :)

Edited by Dobri

I agree with Dobri. While the PhysX graphics would be nice (though like Schot I have a ATI card) they need to fix the bugs first.

I have the elite graphics but I don't use them as they are bugged and also slow down my fps.

Fix the bugs, merge the servers and THEN make the game prettier ihmo. :D

Timotheus> From what I have heard, yes it should work, not like Nvidia physX cards though.

Dobri&Stubbie> Maybe both of you haven't read the articles very well? :D Ok it's not the subject of the thread and I don't like to be offtopic but let's go :

In the course of the Sacred 2 console launch Ascaron wants to deliver an enhanced version with Physx support. Initially the GPU physics support was intended to be part of the retail version but because of technical and time related problems Physx wasn't part of the master code.

If they want to max their chance to sell the game for the console version they need to make it better, and graphics are part of it, and yes bugs also, but they have always fixing bug and adding content since the last patches. I'm not worried about that personaly. I'm sure they will fix a lot of bugs.

And as you can see in this quote, this function was intended to be on the retail version but was postponed due to technical issue. It's not like they were starting from scratch ;)

More sells of the console version can lead us to more content for PC version or more time to fix issue (more money and more time) or even both. Even better an add on, I would love that! ;)

This physX effect is just a little part of the content and fixes that will be part of the next update, as Lars hammer said in the german board. Sorry I can't tell you what, even under torture or if you send me some warm cookies, but you will love them.

However I'm agree, fix should come first, but we don't know the business&marketing part (maybe they must release that for the console version) or contracts as Carolyn said.

I'm scared of what the new patch will contain. After having my characters ruined from "nerfs" in Diablo 2 due to Blizzard wanting people to sink more time into the game instead of actually enjoy it, I've become weary of patches for Action RPGs.

I guess I wouldn't be so scared if I could at least know if they've taken the skill mastery "bug" into consideration and how fixing it may cause numerous characters to suddenly feel under-powered... unless of course the skill mastery "bug" is really not a bug...?

Sigh, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. After looking at all the stuff in the game's scripts and .dll files that were works in progress, I'm sure there will at least now be plenty of stuff to do besides kill monsters all day. I can't wait to see what the fixed/new quest rewards will be!

Edit: I suppose that since Ascaron is presumably under "crunch" or "crash" time with the PS3/Xbox360/New PC update, we might get to hear more about what's going to be in the big update before March 24th.

And btw, thanks for linking this Steph, I've been wondering for the longest time why I never noticed any difference in game play with Physx turned on or off. :D

Edited by Cthulhu

New of a patch like this sounds really good. But I think I've turned off physx because of performance and lag. A few questions if anyone can help?

1- How can I check to see if physx is turned on or off

2- If it's turned off, does this mean that currently...right now...I'm missing goodies?

:unsure:

gogo

p.s. running with an nvidea 8800 gts

It looks great but +$300 for the cheapest GTX 280 card (newegg) vs -$200 for a 4870. 9800's are pretty affordable but it seems like a sin to put an Nvidia card in my JHAO7-Ultra.

I am thinking that a 'Gold' version will be released like Sacred 1 and

that it will include an initial version with this patch when it will be sold

and it will write with big letter PhysX supported etc :unsure:

@gogoblender

Right click on desktop -> Nvidia control panel -> PhysX properties

Edited by Spyrus
New of a patch like this sounds really good. But I think I've turned off physx because of performance and lag. A few questions if anyone can help?

1- How can I check to see if physx is turned on or off

2- If it's turned off, does this mean that currently...right now...I'm missing goodies?

:unsure:

gogo

p.s. running with an nvidea 8800 gts

@gogoblender

Right click on desktop -> Nvidia control panel -> PhysX properties

As spyrus said, go there and you will be able to put the physX on "no acceleration" but they will still be functionning in the game, you're not missing anything.

With the next patch you will be able to able/disable PhysX effect in the options panel.

Gogo,

If you're using an nVidia card that supports PhysX acceleration (which you SHOULD, the 8000 series supports it as long as you have the newest nVidia drivers), there is an option to turn it off in your nVidia control panel. It will be labeled "Set PhysiX configuration", and it will be underneath"3D Settings".

But as Stephane said, you're not missing out on anything right now. And actually, it's probably better you leave it off. I've noticed that when you leave it on, you end up getting that problem where the map becomes invisible more often than when you leave it off.

Edited by Cthulhu

Ugh. It seems even an PPU will not help ATi card owners to get the physics from Nvidia on their pc's.

I think that sucks, and see it as a bad design choice by Ascaron.

You'll not make people happy when people with a 150 dollar graphics card can see more on their screen than people with a 350 dollar card...

Ugh. It seems even an PPU will not help ATi card owners to get the physics from Nvidia on their pc's.

I think that sucks, and see it as a bad design choice by Ascaron.

You'll not make people happy when people with a 150 dollar graphics card can see more on their screen than people with a 350 dollar card...

I think you should take a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati,5764.html

Edit: I went ahead and visited the website reffered to in the above article: http://www.ngohq.com/

The guy has run into some legal problems and other red tape, so it looks like that he's not exactly ready to share his utility with the world. Apparently he's also considering making it work with only one particular manufacturer's ATI cards since that manufacturer has been kind enough to share its schematics and other documentation with him.

In other words - since he hasn't finished his utility and Sacred 2 isn't even up to the full Physix patch yet, don't worry about it for now. I still suggest you keep your eye on ngohq.com in the mean time.

Edited by Cthulhu
I think you should take a look at this: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-physx-ati,5764.html

Edit: I went ahead and visited the website reffered to in the above article: http://www.ngohq.com/

The guy has run into some legal problems and other red tape, so it looks like that he's not exactly ready to share his utility with the world. Apparently he's also considering making it work with only one particular manufacturer's ATI cards since that manufacturer has been kind enough to share its schematics and other documentation with him.

In other words - since he hasn't finished his utility and Sacred 2 isn't even up to the full Physix patch yet, don't worry about it for now. I still suggest you keep your eye on ngohq.com in the mean time.

I read some stuff comparing PPU PhysX to GPU PhysX, and it turns out the low PCI bandwith and the longer transfer time really impare the working of such a card. In other words, an 8800 card will always deliver a better PhysX experience as compared to any other card combined with an Aegeia PPU.

And yes, since utilities like the one you mentioned face legal issues, I see quite a gap between ATi & Nvidia owners.

I don't think Aegia cards are even being made any more. I read that they were discontinued after nVidia bought Aegia.

However, you could still buy one if you are a sucker really all that interested in owning one.

Edited by Cthulhu
However, you could still buy one if you are a sucker really all that interested in owning one.

:)

Also, the amount of benefit you get from your Nvidia gfx card running the physics is dependant on what's slowing things down. If your gfx card is already having issues keeping up with everything, dumping a load of physics calcs on it isn't going to help matters, but if your cpu's the bottleneck, then shifting the physics calcs to the gfx card will help.

:)

Also, the amount of benefit you get from your Nvidia gfx card running the physics is dependant on what's slowing things down. If your gfx card is already having issues keeping up with everything, dumping a load of physics calcs on it isn't going to help matters, but if your cpu's the bottleneck, then shifting the physics calcs to the gfx card will help.

" If your gfx card is already having issues"

........ :P