General Approach To Character Building

@erling looking at your build you should attack with the voodoo at most

If yes then the general approach suggests not to change the tactics lore two and take the focus for modding sinister predator.

How it works for you since you have 2 lores to think about?

That was the first mistake I did when first creating the characters and Dobri has advised me to concentrate on one aspect mostly

Edited by Spyrus

voodoo + hunter focus is very much playable, as long as voodoo supports hunter :D Although voodoo has nice offensive Combat Arts I think most of its usefulness lies in several CAs - Malicious totem (quick cast and forget), black curse (lowers target attributes, can be modded for various things like reduction in physical resist, deactivation of target's permanent beneficial effects) and oh, yeah! Moribund animus. That's my boy! With proper mods this hireling can be your tank - allowing you to zip arrow from afar while he takes the damage. So although this is a 2-aspect build, they both support ranged fighting, so they don't contradict with each other. For, example, if Erling had taken tactics + hunter +polearm/dual wield + voodoo, that would be close combat versus casting which would've made his going a lot tougher on the later difficulties.

The other option is, of course, dual wield + the voodoo aspect (no hunter, only tactics lore to mod). Up to this point:

2 Tactics lore (!!)

3 combat reflexes (sadly, one must take it)

5 concentration (ancient bark, morbid anithingy or/and sinister prediator

8 voodoo lore

12 ranged/dw/polearms

18 voodoo focus

25 armor lore

35 constitution

(if it was up to me... I would add ancient magic and combat discipline or nature focus to have goldenglade, ancient bark and acute mind modded properly)

......... Damn, makes me want to try it out. And this is exactly what I'm gonna do!

That's a wonderful example build by Elring for a voodoo/ranged oriented or voodoo/dual wield caster oriented build. I wouldn't pick polearms though... I see the way a ranged combat will go. Moribund animus attacks, Malicious totem in the center of the enemy mob, and arrows for afar. Or for a caster with dual wield - Moribund attacks, malicious totem near it, and spells. Game :D

You know what the HE misses? Dual wield. I'd love to wield dual Officer's saber - 6 gold sockets, meaning a lot of + all skills, which means a lot of cool CAs at max level. The Dryad can do this :P And she has ancient magic as well to boost spell damage. AND she has moribund animus to tank for her. So? Bring it on :)

Geez, I wish the dryad had dual wield in the first part of the tree :)

Edited by Dobri

as you said, I wouldent pick polearms either because of mods on swords are so much better and x2...

I really think they should upgrade the polearms so its more tempting to use it :)

Some General Skills will be proposed based on primary skill factor

(I will try them for the first time in-game ;) ).

Also I am close to find a formula for skill point adding,

based to what Dobri said in my questions and what I have tried in-game.

Currently HE,Inquisitor,Seraphim in closed.net are growing up.

I have died though because I was level 20 and fought with level 35, but that is ok for me :P

But being alone with SB 30% to that level no problem killing mobs and bosses.

Regeneration time of primary attack is at 2-3 seconds for melee and 1 second for HE

and it works perfectly there @Dobi :)

Edited by Spyrus

I'm glad things are going well for you. Sadly, there are few classes that can go without CA utilization... So CAs pretty much rule the game, and the faster you can spam them, the better :P

Edited by Dobri

I started also a Dryad. The proposed CA of supporting Aspect Acute Mind

does not suits well there (boosting intelligence does nothing to

Combat Art 1: Ravaged Impact and Combat Art 2: Darting Assault.

Instead of this I would proposed Goldenglade Touch and / or Tangled Vine.

The reason for Tangled Vine is that even it will be weak (no Lore for that aspect)

it is great boss killer as it is used only as 'prisoning' bosses and not to damage them.

Keeping its regen-time equal to its duration you can hold any enemy and bosses far from you

Edited by Spyrus

I totally agree with that. Acute mind is caster-type CA, but it will support Tangled vine and goldenglade touch perfectly.

I started a caster Dryad a few days ago. It's fun actually :) I've tried a wickedly strange dual-wield caster build with tactics and dual wield. Why dual wield? I was really interested about what kind of caster she'll be with 2 weapons (double the sockets and modifiers, like 2 desert sabers), ancient magic and combat discipline. These are all skills that boost the damage of the Voodoo aspect greatly. Voodoo tree is supported by the nature tree with goldenglade, tangled vine and acute mind (even more intelligence, so even more CA damage!). She's utilizing primarily Malicious totem, Viperish Disease, Black curse vs. bosses, and twisted torment. She's 41 and so far it's interesting. No utility skills though... they were omitted to give way for tactics and dual wield.

Edited by Dobri

Great, acute mind for Voodoo aspect is a must.

I understand that dual swords will give you more sockets,

vs two-handed vs shield + single hand,

but I prefer not to have all my characters work the same.

I would choose though 2-throwing knives or daggers depend on ranged or sword lore :) just for fun

Edited by Spyrus

I enhanced the Guide to cover up the case of one-aspect builds.

In these builds the Focus skill will be replaced by Combat Discipline.

Though I am not sure if CD raises the first aspect damage CAs

(like Capricious Hunter) and not the Casting based CAs, (like Voodoo)...?

If that is the case then a replacement for Focus on Casting characters could be Ancient Magic

Edited by Spyrus

Sometimes the focus' usefulness may outweigh the usefulness of CD - like delphic focus for pyro-oriented build and the serious reduction of regeneration times provided by modding grand invigoration. CD even with 20% reduction doesn't come close to the combined effect as well as the usefulness of the other mods for the buff and Shadow step as utility CA. Be sure to mention that there are exceptions :)

Still, the pyro build can benefit a lot from CD, but one would have to drop another defensive or a utility skill for it, like enhanced perception (since it's in the second half of the skill tree) in order to get it.

Edited by Dobri

CD is really nice for builds who need the damage, but have limited options to improve it (no ancient magic for caster builds, for example) or need to improve the regeneration times of the combat arts. 20% regen time decrease is nice boost anyway :)

Edited by Dobri
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

some notes and questions about choosing weapons for our characters.

This post may be merged with this General Approach To Character Building

The thing here is not what every character can use

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Weapons

but which of these and how we should use

Dual Wield with Ranged,Swords,Hafted,Staves

Seems the choice for every character that can have this skill. So it leaves out HE & TG.

With Dual Wield you have:

1)Damage per second

2)More sockets than the pair of shield+one-handed weapon or two-handed weapons

3)All unique/legendary except some very specific do not have modifiers based on weapon lore

4)Can hold at the same level & speed a sword + hafted for example using just one skill

Possibly drawbacks:

1)Combat arts based on one weapon only (I have seen this on my inquisitor with Callous Execution for example)

2)Loosing modifiers if one item has it

Two-Handed with Swords,Polearms,Ranged,Staves

All characters except TG

With these:

1)Can do a serious damage in one-weapon based CAs (are there any two-weapon CAs after all)?

Possibly drawbacks:

1)No many sockets , less that Dual Wield or one-weapon / shield pair

One-Handed with Shield

All characters except Inquisitor

With these:

1)More defense

2)More slots from 2-handed, less than Dual Wield

Drawback:

1)Less damage

I have come to a quick conclusion:

1)Dual Wield wherever possible

2)HE with Shield (better than two handed)

3)Two-handed suck bit time, unless when used with CAs are more powerful.

Until now, I have dual wielded only Inquisitor, but I might try Seraphim (polearm) and SW (hafted + shield)

Fair Play - How should the items be fixed in order all choices to be equal

1)Add modifiers to all unique/legendary weapons and shields

2)A single weapon CA can executed twice only if regeneration time is

less or equal than dual wield attack time

3)Add more sockets to 2 handed so as to be equal to dual wield and/or one-hand + shield

Edited by Spyrus