Building A BFG Character

jimdingsdale

Have been building one of these with great success till right click on the gun quit working but not too much of a problem.

Using Warding Energy Lore as a buff with plenty of points in it. I'm level 32 now.

Seems mobs knock this down rather quickly.

Would it be better to use Battle Stance for protection or Flaring Nova for crowd control?

Find the BFG character not as stressfull as a melee.

Would it be better to use Battle Stance for protection or Flaring Nova for crowd control?

-> I think Battle stance is better than Warding energy in the early levels. It will make you hit more often, deal more damage and will boost your defense. I was using BFG + Battle stance until all those + all skills stuff on my Seraphim opened up temporary mastery for Constitution and I could use 3 buffs (that was about level 60). I didn't miss Warding energy by then at all, keeping in mind that I wasn't using the overpowered BFG weapon at all, but a unique pistol that had less than 1/3 of the BFG weapon's damage (for more xp per kill).

As a BFG seraphim you are supposed to be fast killer - before the mobs even get to you. She rarely misses, but the BFG weapon has sort of slow firing rate, so each shot must count - and battle stance is the way to do it.

BTW, what do you mean by this: "till right click on the gun quit working"?

Edited by Dobri

When I right click to fire BFG, nothing happens. It used to fire several shots in quick succession.

Ca is level 32 with level 10 BFG.

Also find trying to stand in one place difficult.

Target mob and she usually runs to them.

Tried using ctrl to hold her in position, but doesn't work very well.

She runs to them again.

Edited by jimdingsdale

Right click is for Combat art usage, are you sure you have a CA you wish to use at that slot? If the slot is empty, the game interprets it as a move. The BFG weapon fires only with left click on the enemy.

Edited by Dobri

as Dobri said :o nothing should happen when rigth clicking with only bfg, BFG is only a weapon.

I think you had an exalted warrior combat art equipped when using bfg :D most likely pelting strikes :)

Conjures a powerful, divine weapon and improves ranged weapon use. Requires at least one empty weapon slot. As a ranged weapon, Dexterity will modify it's damage, as will Tactics Lore. Choosing Ranged Weapons will increase the rate of fire, as well as the chance to hit.

SacredWiki

as Dobri said :) nothing should happen when rigth clicking with only bfg, BFG is only a weapon.

I think you had an exalted warrior combat art equipped when using bfg :) most likely pelting strikes :)

Conjures a powerful, divine weapon and improves ranged weapon use. Requires at least one empty weapon slot. As a ranged weapon, Dexterity will modify it's damage, as will Tactics Lore. Choosing Ranged Weapons will increase the rate of fire, as well as the chance to hit.

SacredWiki

Bee Eff Gee is a buff and gives you a weapon. Use Pelting Strikes for example as combat art and the Bee Eff Gee will fire off two shots.

(The succession mod on Pelting Strikes doesn't seem to work for BFG. Altho I'm not 100% certain about this.)

My Miss BFG, level 32 has gun at level 11, warding energy buff level 5, pelting strike level 3 and no exalted warrior.

Up to level 30 it fired two quick shots and then stopped. Guess it uses pelting strike when right clicks.

Found the problem. Had switched from pelting strike to flaring nova.

Works great now. Only other change made was to use battle stance instead of warding energy.

Found mobs degenerate it rather quickly.

Now at level 48, fighting a boss is a losing battle every time. Seems to either throws marshmallows or has

no protection.:(

Blah!

This build was a copy of erling's BFG toon, so don't know what happened. Seems I have the right skills but

not putting points where they would do the most good. Another flop.

your not upgrading BFG buff.. I think.. you said you had level 11 weapon at level 30... read more runes :)

edit: and more points in tactics lore :(

Edited by Erling

Got some advice from another player to put lots of runes in BFG.

It's at level 41.9 with 76 runes.

Tactics lore is at 38 points.

Battle Stance: level 10 8 runes

Pelting strike: level 9 1 rune and 5.6 seconds regenerating time.

Toon is at level 48 now.

Could be too many runes in BFG or not enough in tactics lore.

Using Bfg only and its level is 41.8.

Dragon is at Grimwald, level 47.

HHmm. Maybe I'm using the wrong health potions.

Could be using the small ones instead of the big ones.

Can't press spacebar fast enough to regen health.

Lag sure doesn't help.

Also, when you die, does regen time go up on pelting strikes?

Mine has and have not added any runes or anything to make it change.

Have had a very hard time trying to keep regen times down.

Have had relics on green, maybe should use red as he kills me when he hits me with fire.

Still not sure about using relics. Which color bar to go by, one on top or below name?

I'll give it another try and let you know if I snuffed him.

I mean THE weapon, not the buff :( if you put your mouse over it it will show, and you can forge some armor with attack and dmg% maybe?

Edited by Erling

Ok, back from the fight.

Tried the dragon at Grunwald with relics on orange and using large health potions.

Used only one large health potion.

Took two right click shots and two left click shots from BFG and it was game over for him.

Took about 5-10 seconds. Have killed him many times but never this quick.

Tried it with green relics, took 5 large health potions and 30 seconds to kill. He was level 47 both times, I think.

I'll get back to you on the gun level.

Could be I was using wrong relics and using small instead of large potions.

With relics, have put 3 of the same color together or should I mix them up, one orange, one blue and one green

for example.

Edited by jimdingsdale

Back again from another battle.

This time with relics on orange, I used 5 large health potions,

took about 30 seconds to kill.

He was at level 48, BUT, he nearly had me pushing up daisies.

It was a close fight.

Gun level is at 81.

Edited by jimdingsdale

This happens, because you really need to look at the bars that have different colors OVER the opponents name. This is what kind of damage he has. If they're orange, it's fire, so use fire relics. If it's yellow + orange, it's physical + fire, so again use fire relics.

This game is very complex and you really need to look for pretty much everything :( It will give you a clue as to what will happen and how you should proceed.

• 1 month later...

I too, after a long time, tried to make a BFG so I have took the Tactics Lore and Ranged skill,

in order to benefit from the runes of BFG.

So, only one hard point to them.

I consider keeping them this way and do not bother with them, though I know that tactics lore is not

as high as ranged skill.

On the other hand, if I be tempted to put hard points on tactics lore I will begin to think of building

a 3-buffed (adding battle-stance since I can modded that). That of course , will lead on using

Exalted Focus which for now is no interest for me.

As for now , I use constantly Archagel's Wrath and Divine Protection if needed.

Nova seems for now useless.

Dobri? ;)

Edited by Spyrus
I too, after a long time, tried to make a BFG so I have took the Tactics Lore and Ranged skill,

in order to benefit from the runes of BFG.

So, only one hard point to them.

I consider keeping them this way and do not bother with them, though I know that tactics lore is not

as high as ranged skill.

On the other hand, if I be tempted to put hard points on tactics lore I will begin to think of building

a 3-buffed (adding battle-stance since I can modded that). That of course , will lead on using

Exalted Focus which for now is no interest for me.

As for now , I use constantly Archagel's Wrath and Divine Protection if needed.

Nova seems for now useless.

Dobri? :Just_Cuz_21:

You really should look into the BFG guide on the Guide forums.

And not using more then 1 hard point on tactics lore is a way to seriously gimp yourself, it should stay maxed at your character level all the time.

Ranged skill on the other hand does just need 1 hard point due to BFG buff giving tons of +skill to it, the only way Tactics lore benefits from BFG is by the weapon which gives next to nothing compared to the given ranged skill.

A lot of people keep on pumping tactics up to their char level, and quite rightfully so. The diminishing returns will kick in anyway, but tactics mastery is a must by all means - so at least 75 points there are needed. Ranged may remain at 1 point, because the high gains from BFG compensate for the lack of mastery bonus.

What Spyrus might have meant is that + all skills may handle the lack of points in tactics lore (and that's why he said only 1 hard point). Still, my opinion is that ANY char that attacks with a left click - whether ranged or melee, Magic Coup HE is an exception - needs to have tactics lore as high as it can get in order to deal decent damage. Even an Archangel's wrath-based build needs it, because wrath is based on the weapon damage and if you're not going to spam wrath every 0.5-1s, you'll need the BFG to cover up for the delay, and tactics becomes important again.

In my eyes, any BFG build should be a 3-buff build. This means 75 hard points in Concentration. BFG-Battle Stance-Warding energy is what provides survivability. This means you'll have to take on both aspects - exalted and revered. Even my BFG shopper utilizes all of these.

Here's her build. She was my first online char, so I had to take all the skills here if she was to survive in HC and be useful to the upcoming chars - no exceptions.

Ranged (1pt) -> Tactics (at char level) -> Concentration (75 pts) -> Revered Focus (enough to mod BFG and warding) -> Enhanced Perception (1pt, then start adding) -> Bargaining (at char level) -> Armor Lore (1/2 of the char level) -> Exalted focus (enough to mod Battle stance, soul hammer and pelting strikes - I'm playing mounted so no dashing required) -> Constitution (75 pts) -> Warding Energy Lore (1pt at start, then more).

There are 2 utility skills that can be swapped for pretty much anything. Revered lore, speed lore, toughness... Your call :Just_Cuz_21:

Nice Dobri.

I have some differences in the build though:

I have one last skill to take: either will be exalted focus or combat discipline.

For now I have:

CA1 : Archagel Wrath

CA2 : Nova

CA3: Dashing Alacrity

CA4: Divine Protection

I have put in Tactics Lore 9 points in order to mod Dashing Alacrity. It is at level 1-rune,

because of not having the Exalted Focus.

I have keep maxed-out to char level both Revered Lore & Focus and Warding Lore.

Now, I am starting to put points on Constitution. I am at level 40.

So, in the point I am, I think that is too late for a 3-buffed build or if I take the Exalted Focus,

I have to put 75 on Concentration and at least some point to Focus to mod battle stance (and

forget tactics lore).

You do not play with Archagel and Nova, but with Strikes,Soul Hammer.

That is why I have problem for going on 3-buffed.

Edited by Spyrus