Sacred 2 crashing with new rig :(

Well got this brand new shiny, all lit up, super rig and unfortunately Sacred 2 is crashing within 10-15 minutes of playing :)

My rig

Win 7

ASUS Rampage mobo

GTX 285

X-Fi Titanium

6 Gig RAM

All latest drivers

I've tried:

XP compatibility mode

Lowest gfx settings

No sound

So far nothing tried has changed anything. I read a thread saying to select XP compatibility mode on the shortcut properties. But my shortcut didn't have that tab. Might be because Fallen Angel was on dvd's and Ice and Blood is a download. Tried setting it on the actual exe file but I get a 'unable to acquire devices' line during game start-up. Game looks fantastic but basically unplayable now for me. So I'm begging and pleading for any help or suggestions anyone might have.

edit: anyone tried dual booting XP and Win7 yet? Maybe if I do that I can play on XP and not have to deal with Win 7 at all. I'm pretty sure Win 7 and Sacred 2 have some compatibility issues.

edit #2: Well I have a feeling after reading the SIF and other forums that I'm going to have issues with Win 7 on a lot of older software so I bit the bullet and ordered XP-64 bit. Going to dual boot and hopefully this will solve my issues.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got this brand new shiny, all lit up, super rig and unfortunately Sacred 2 is crashing within 10-15 minutes of playing :)

My rig

Win 7

ASUS Rampage mobo

GTX 285

X-Fi Titanium

6 Gig RAM

All latest drivers

I've tried:

XP compatibility mode

Lowest gfx settings

No sound

So far nothing tried has changed anything. I read a thread saying to select XP compatibility mode on the shortcut properties. But my shortcut didn't have that tab. Might be because Fallen Angel was on dvd's and Ice and Blood is a download. Tried setting it on the actual exe file but I get a 'unable to acquire devices' line during game start-up. Game looks fantastic but basically unplayable now for me. So I'm begging and pleading for any help or suggestions anyone might have.

edit: anyone tried dual booting XP and Win7 yet? Maybe if I do that I can play on XP and not have to deal with Win 7 at all. I'm pretty sure Win 7 and Sacred 2 have some compatibility issues.

I am almost same here

Win7 64

8 Gb PC3-12800 Ram

ASRock P55 Extreme MOBO with onboard sound and LAN

GTX 260 GFX card

O.k. we have some similar gear and I have been working out some issues for us as I have been plagued with more crashes than I can tolerate. So this is a good start to try on yours as well.

Edit: almost forgot an important point. I turned off the Compatibility mode crap and also turned off the run as administrator. that stuff was creating more issues to solve.

1. First we need to look at the Bios and make sure your memory speed and auto OC settings are on Safe- Auto settings. this is by default. you mentioned you hadn't done anything with that yet so should be good. the memory I think you bought is PC3-12800. same as mine, if your MOBO supports it,( I had to do a flash update). it should have a XMP-1600 setting for 800Mhz memory speed. this will change your base clock to 160 and probably a multiplier of 18. this is based on my i5 750 so yours may be slightly different. I left all other setting at AUTO. I have messed with the OC quite a bit and this area can make your rig unstable under a load. the Vcore voltage should be auto bur about 1.275 to 1.350 is normal on mine.

2. I opened the Nvidia Control panel for my GTX260, your GTX285 should be running the same driver. And I set my video setting here:

A. under Settings I set the Use the Advanced 3D image settings

B. Under Manage 3D settings, I set the following for best Quality

Ambient Occlusion - Off

Anisotropic Filtering - 16X

Anti aliasing Gamma correction - ON

Anti aliasing Mode - Override any application settings

Anti aliasing setting - mine is on max 16xQ but I think any of these settings will be fine. I have no FPS issues- so .....this looks so smooth it makes your jaw drop

Anti aliasing Transparency - Supersampling

Conformant texture clamp - use hardware

error reporting - Off

Extension limit - Off

Maximum pre-rendered frames -1 *this is one that I think really made a difference. took all the processing to the GPU* Even though we have 4 cores, Sacred only uses 1 so take the load off the CPU and let the big beautiful double wide card do the work.

Multi-display - single display

Power management - prefer maximum performance

Texture filtering - Anisotropic - off

Texture filtering - negative LOD bias - Clamp

Texture filtering - quality - high quality

Testure filtering - trilinear opt - Off

threaded optimization -ON

Triple Buffering - ON

Vertical Sync - Force ON

D. In game options menu for Graphics

I selected Very high: clicked on PhysX: Selected 1920X1080 full screen. this is my monitors native Res. AA is off: UI scaling is off: Vert Sync off: weather is off: Hardware mouse is on

Phew that was too much info. I have been playing around with this alot since Saturday night. I have not had any of the random M button crashes. the teleport crashes or the just for no reason at all crashes. I had 1 crash on exiting the game to desktop. and 1 trying to run 2 full screen accounts at the same time to trade between accounts. Al together about 8 hours of play time with these settings.

sorry this should be better organized and easier to read , but I am not that good at typing at this desk. Sitting in grandma's rocker with Keyboard in my lap.

I can get on Windows Live with you if you want to go through each one at a time.

Edited by locolagarto

That's a real drag guys. I've seen how bad it can be for you guys. Must be very frustrating. I've been meaning to install my Win 7 for over a month now. I do have an XP partition that I could turn into a Win 7 partition and give this a try... My main is a vista partition. I'll try it soon and see what happens.

In the meantime I hope your settings hold out loco. :)

I don't have much to add except that Sacred 2 crashed badly on my rig once I installed win7. Compatibility mode did solve the problem, but as far as I know you need win 7 ultimate for the pleasure of running older programs.

Now I am trying to save my pennies to afford ultimate when my version expires in June.

Just finished upgrading from XP to Vista to Win 7 and then installing and updating Sacred 2 from fresh install aaaaall the way to 2.65.1 Ice & Blood. Whew! That took forever! So far so good... I popped in on Furian and played for a bit on his server. Everything seemed to be ok. Maybe a bit of in game stuttering but I still have a lot of setup left to do on the new Win 7 64 Bit partition. One thing to note though is that I'm not playing Sacred in compatibility mode. Just installed everything, set the sacred 2 shortcut to Run as Admin and went straight to the servers to play for a bit. I'll play some more tomorrow and see how that goes.

Bed time at last! :)

I have to say I have been using windows 7 on the default settings with sacred 2 and havent had any issues, im using windows 7 professional 64bit...maybe I got lucky but at least theres hope:)

Edited by Dragon Brother

I'll give cpu-z a go as soon as I get off the servers. I just got on the servers about 30 mins ago and am testing various stuff. Mostly the chatbox bug... Be back soon with a capture of my system. :)

As for dual booting it went smoothly. The thing that really simplified the changes I needed to make to my bootloader was EasyBCD. So if all else fails an XP or even Vista partition will solve the problem. Granted it would be ideal to be able to play Sacred 2 on your main partition which is your Win 7 part I'd gather...

Might have to make a trip to Bestbuy before they close and *cough*cough* test their return policy on video cards *cough*cough.

Just finished upgrading from XP to Vista to Win 7 and then installing and updating Sacred 2 from fresh install aaaaall the way to 2.65.1 Ice & Blood. Whew! That took forever! So far so good... I popped in on Furian and played for a bit on his server. Everything seemed to be ok. Maybe a bit of in game stuttering but I still have a lot of setup left to do on the new Win 7 64 Bit partition. One thing to note though is that I'm not playing Sacred in compatibility mode. Just installed everything, set the sacred 2 shortcut to Run as Admin and went straight to the servers to play for a bit. I'll play some more tomorrow and see how that goes.

Bed time at last! :yawn:

Best test Schot would be a high speed camp run. that is were I see the most aggravation. lots of teleports and M map peeks, and region changes etc. gets me every time, and thats where Knuckles was the other night when he locked like 5 times in an hour.

Sounds great loco. I'm on now and we could do some of my Gold camp. Already half way through it. :yawn:

As for the possibility of this problem being a vid card prob I'd wager that it's actually the physx aspect of Sacred 2 creating a problem. Might be worth trying to disable physx in as many ways as possible before returning that Nvidea. :)

I tried turning off physx both in Nvidia panel and in-game and still crashed within 15 mins :yawn:

Ughhh!

Double Ugh!

Well I've been campaigning since I last posted, about 45 mins, and just went through the whole Desert part of the campaign. Knuckles, do you crash often even if you're the only one on the server?

P.s.

Can you find any useful info from your Event Viewer loco/Knuckles? Type Event Viewer into your Windows Start, click it, then click Windows Logs and double click Application. You should be able to find info in that list about the crashes that Sacred 2 has had. Might mention something about a particular function within Sacred 2 and maybe even a suggestion.

One thing to ALWAYS ALWAYS remember when running Vista or Win7 is to never install your games on the boot drive, where UAC is worst. It has been a major blessing for me to have been installing all my games, including many many older ones to a separate games drive.

Im running the following:

Vista 64 SP2

8GB Ram

XFX 680i Mobo

Intel Q6600 clocked to 3.2Ghz

BFG GTX-285 video

On board sound

To date the only games I have a problem with is those DOS games that were designed to install in Win 95/98

Most DOS games and XP games run fine when tuned.

This is what I found in the event log

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Error

Date: 12/27/2009 2:12:29 PM

Event ID: 1000

Task Category: (100)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Robb-PC

Description:

Faulting application name: sacred2.exe, version: 2.65.1.0, time stamp: 0x4adf8310

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbdf

Exception code: 0x80000003

Fault offset: 0x000122a1

Faulting process id: 0xd64

Faulting application start time: 0x01ca8725457963bf

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: c624b545-f31b-11de-a885-e0cb4e29188f

or I get this one

Log Name: Application

Source: Application Hang

Date: 12/27/2009 7:38:14 PM

Event ID: 1002

Task Category: (101)

Level: Error

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: Robb-PC

Description:

The program sacred2.exe version 2.65.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: a80

Start Time: 01ca87414abe3dea

Termination Time: 139

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe

Report Id:

or I get this one

The program sacred2.exe version 2.65.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.

Process ID: b2c

Start Time: 01ca875c42ba833b

Termination Time: 28

Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe

Report Id:

Interesting logs Knuckles. Can you dig through your Action Center and see if there's something useful there? The Action Center seems to be a new feature of Windows 7. Could be handy for our problem.

Here's something worth checking out Knuckles. From some of my searching a directx issue can be a cause due to an incomplete directx9 library. One suggestion was that Windows 7 may be providing only the bare minimum directx 9 libraries. It shouldn't create any problem at all to install this but if you want to feel safe by all means create a Restore point. :yawn:

I had to install DirectX 9c runtimes on my fresh install of Windows 7 x64 because CoD4:MW & CoD:WaW (and other DirectX 9 games) were crashing or wouldn't even start

even with DirectX 11 installed by Windows 7 it seems you still need some 9c runtimes for those "old" games to run properly

I have had no problems with any DirectX 9 games since installing the 9c runtimes

Another possibilty is that the most recent video driver may not be the best. So trying a newer or older version of your video card's driver could be worth a try.

For the record my Windows 7 is an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install. What did you guys do? Upgrade or Fresh Install?

Still haven't got my CPU-Z yet, sorry! I'm on my Vista partition at the mo...

I'll check out that Action Center thingy tonight when I get back from work. Heading out the door now for, yup another mountain :yawn:

my Win 7 was a new install/OS

And tried drivers that came with card and latest drivers on website, guess I could try some older ones.

Sad to hear you are crashing Knuckles, windows 7 is still causing lots of issues with Ice and Blood:(

My setup is very similar to yours and I've now got it to the point of being able to play for 45mins-1 hour before freezing. Going in caves/teleporting seems to cause the freezes and the game will play for much longer if you grind in one area. I'm guessing your playing Ice and Blood fully patched up? Grunwald is the worst place in the game, 20 minutes if your lucky before a freeze there. The enemy mage buffs/spells seem to be the cause:( it's a good idea to avoid that area if you can.

A few things you could try:

Turn render to high or less in the graphics options, very high makes the game crash much sooner and it still looks good in high. Also put grass detail to half or less.

turn off buff displays. Buffs from yourself and enemies causes freezes

Install the latest physx drivers and allow your graphics card to do the physx from the nvidia control panel(with physx still turned off in-game). This may not help but worth a try.

Add the " -nocpubinding" to the Sacred 2 exe. Right click the Sacred 2 shortcut and click properties. On the shortcut tab where is says "Target", add " -nocpubinding" without the quotes and with the space at the start to the end of the Sacred 2 exe file location, mine reads D:\Games\Deep Silver\Sacred 2 - Fallen Angel\system\sacred2.exe" -nocpubinding. Click apply and OK. This stops Sacred 2 controlling which cores of the processor to use and was probably the biggest single improvement I tried for win7:)

Don't bother with the elite graphics. The difference is minimal and they just don't seem to work very well at all.

Sound drivers are important to, but I guess since it's a fresh install yours are up to date.

Hope some of these might help, I've been playing Sacred 2 on win7 for ages now and have tried just about everything to help in getting it to play for longer. If I can remember anything else I tried I'll post it.

Edited by Dobster
I'll check out that Action Center thingy tonight when I get back from work. Heading out the door now for, yup another mountain :wow:

my Win 7 was a new install/OS

And tried drivers that came with card and latest drivers on website, guess I could try some older ones.

Mine was fresh as well.

Just for S's n' G's I ran out to Bestbuy last night and grabbed the $139 ATI 4850 from XFX. it had a huge problem with the game not letting me change graphics setting in game. I could only make changes in options.txt with the GTX260. I may be my own worst enemy with all the optionsCustom.txt changes I have been trying. so I did a complete uninstall of Sacred2 and reinstall of the gold pack with patches and started from scratch. I made similar changes to video 3d setting such as force hardware antialiasing and such to over ride the in game settings. btw they will compete for resources so don't dup selections in both spots. I turn all off in game and use hardware settings in windows.

From this fresh install I had run my level 55 BFG through wasteland all the way to Inquisitor and not 1 issue. started a new char and ran to level 15 last night with no issues. I'll play a little longer jumping around in map and regions. If this works. I will duplicate the test with GTX260 on fresh game install and drivers.

Getting 75 FPS on Very High with Shadows off and Hardware AA on 16X.

So far so good.

Well either the servers are down or it didn't like my changes :wow:

Downloaded 9x

add "-noncpubinding" to shortcut

Have Nvidia card handling Physx and AA

And now when I try to log on to Closed lobby it just hangs at "Connecting to lobby..." message

I'm heading on now to check things out. See if it's the lobby that is down or just you Knuckles.

P.s.

Good news and bad news... Servers are fine. :/

P.p.s

Just got my first CTD in Win 7, heh. Sacred 2 just completely disappeared while I tried to log onto a server. :wow: Is that what happens to you guys?

Yup game just simply closes while playing, though it hasn't done it while logging on yet to me

Put all settings back the way they were and still can't log on :wow:

(I can log into Open servers though)