Source Warden & E-Shield - level 200 Utility build

lvlparty1.png

This build is first of all not meant for bosskilling, designed for Ice&Blood version, it can be also used in Fallen Angel. You'll be able to reach 200 easily, with the good energy-shield and Area of Effect power.

I've got it myself at level 200 in closed-net HC, PC version 2.65.

At start, it's a bit weak, but after level 75 and first masteries, it'll be really better.

Some traders can help you to start with better damage and defense.

1. Skills

2. Combat Arts

3. Attributes/Expert Touch

4. Equipement

5. Bonus

6. Pictures

7. Final Notes

1- Skills

02 - Devout Guardian Focus - 75

75 points for 9 mods, and lower level penality

03 - Source Warden Lore - 101

101 points, because we'll need a good damage boost for all source warden CAs

05 - Source Warden Focus - 75

As usual, 75 points for lower regen time and level penality on CAs

08 - Combat Discipline - 75

Regeneration bonus and more damage for all CAs

12 - Armor Lore - 75

Armor bonus and reducing penality

18 - Warding Energy Lore - 75

Very important, improve shield power, increase damage absorbtion and unlock +xx% Max energy shield bonus on amulets

25 - Toughness - 75

Reduce incoming damage, directly increase armor

35 - Combat Reflexes (75) / Concentration (75)

Two possible choices here. You can choose CR to reduce ennemie's melee chances to hit, or concentration to get 3 buffs after level 75.

I've choosed Concentration here, to get 3 buffs for good energy shield (T-energy shroud), melee reflect and defense bonus (combat alert), stunning melee ennemies and block projectiles (untouchable force)

50 - Blacksmith - 75

To unlock possibility to smith items. You'll get the best smith arts in niob with more than 150 soft points in this skill.

65 - Bargaining - 200, try to get it at charlvl after level 100

Unlock the possibility to shop good items, and get better quest rewards with the mastery

2- Combat Arts

Fiery Ember / Icy evanescence (same mods) :

1a Incinerate/Ice Needles - Increases fire/ice damage. (50% increase)

2b Churn/Deep frost - Further reduces target's fire/ice resist. (20% + 0.1% per CA level decrease)

3b Sustain - Increases duration. (50% increase)

Firey ember, is our main CA. We'll use it for all fight on the maps, except for bosses.

It's better to mod first and use Fiery Ember, as it also do a bonus fire damage on time to ennemies.

Primal Mutation

1a Combust - Converts physical damage into fire damage. (50% + 2% per CA level converted)

2b Helpless - Briefly reduces target's attributes. (10% + 0.2% per CA level decrease)

3a Demolition - Increases Primal Mutation base damage. (50% increased physical damage / 33.3% increased overall damage)

Good CA for bosses and champions. We can use it in a combo with Jolting Touch and Deathly Spears.

Also a good synergy with fiery ember which reduces opponent's resistances to fire.

Charged Grid

1b Havoc - Increases damage dealt. (50% increase)

2b Unnatural selection - Inflicts higher damage to severely wounded opponents. (double damage at 50% + 1% per CA level health of enemies)

3a Longevity - Increases duration. (40% increase)

To use after Fiery Ember, the "Deathblow" mod is very usefull against wounded ennemies.

Untouchable Force

1b Mind control - Increases chance to stun. (5% + 0.1% per CA level / 50% increase from base value)

2b Calm - Reduces opponents' attack speed. (30% + 0.5% per CA level decrease)

3b Crumble - Chance to destroy incoming projectiles. (30% + 1% per CA level chance)

Only if we choose to put 75 points in concentration. Ennemies around the TG are stunned and damaged.

Don't use runes in it, bonus from gear is enough.

Combat Alert

1b Barricade - Adds a defensive bonus equal to the current attack bonus. (20% + 5% per CA level increased defense value)

2a Riposte -Melee damage reflection. (35.1% + ~1.1% per CA level with diminishing rates of return)

3rd mod

- Party Protection - Extends the benefit to party members. (40% + 0.2% per CA level effectiveness to party members) If you don't take concentration

- Permanent - Converts Combat Alert into a buff called Battle Aura, reduces the bonuses to ~1/2 of their CA levels. (All values halfed except for Repair modification, which goes to 2.5hp/s + 2.5hp/s per CA level) If you take concentration

Good bonus to defense and melee damage reflection, we can't ask better. At level 200 with 200 runes in it, the buff is level 132 and give around 60% chances to reflect melee damage

You can boost it with runes when you want, just be careful of Fiery Ember regeneration time. Try to have 200 runes in it at level 120

T-energy Shroud

1a Power - Increases shield power. (40% increase from base value)

2b Reduction - Further reduction to incoming damage. (5% + 0.1% per CA level damping)

3b Reflection - Chance to reflect spells. (15% + 1% per CA level chance)

Powerfull shield, which reduce damage and reflect nasty spells. You can also choose Power as 3rd mod, it'll increase again shield's power.

You can also boost it with runes when you want, just be careful of Fiery Ember regeneration time. Try to have 200 runes in it at level 100

Deathly Spears

1a Batter - Chance for knockback. (50% + 1% per CA level chance)

2a Singe - Adds fire damage. (34.7% from base damage, damage type fire)

3a Jab - Adds an additional attacks(Jab will add 1 extra attack at CA level 1-15 you will get 2 waves, at CA level 16 Deadly Spears will have 3 waves, at CA level 42 with Jab you will have 4 waves of spikes and continues to add extra attacks every 20 CA levels after level 42.)

We'll use it in combo with Primal mutation and Jolting touch for bosses and champions. Once again, good synergy with Singe mod and Fiery ember which reduces opponent's resistances to fire.

If you plan to use a Kal'dur's Legacy or any weapon with %Life Leech against bosses, you can mod battle extension instead of deathly spears.

Battle Extension

1a Double Attack - Chance for two hits on each strike. (15% chance)

2b Impairment - Reduces target's evade chance. (30% + 0.3% per CA level chance)

3a Double Attack - Chance for two hits on each strike. (15% chance)

Just use it as a passive CA : activate the slot of this CA only against a boss with a LL% weapon.

3- Attributes / Expert Touch

We'll be interested by only 3 of them for this build :

Willpower

Increase the power of your shield and improve your spell resistance (will be useless once we'll get 100% CA reflects with T-energy shroud).

Intelligence

Increase a bit spells damage and intensity. The bonus of damage is not really great on TG's spells, but it can be usefull.

Stamina

Reduce regeneration time. As it doesn't affect cooldown, I prefer to use some -xx% regeneration time on rings or BS-arts. You can take it if you want to be sure to get the lowest regen time possible. It can also allow you to "eat" more runes.

I've choosed to put the 401 aviable points in intelligence, any boost of damage, even very low, is welcome. :P

Expert Touch : Yes or No ?

As we'll use only one offensive aspect (S. Warden) and the other aspect only for Buffs and passive CAs/combos (Devout G.), I'll say Yes, we can use it.

It will also reduce the regeneration time of all Combat Arts, and especially Fiery Ember, which help a lot.

4- Equipement

(Helm)

XTM-2174 : Prototype AP 513

Bonus to visibility range and good base defense bonus, 3 slots

(Armor)

XTM-2174 : Prototype LI 189

Chances to find valuables bonus, Good armor bonus, 3 slots

(Legs)

XTM-2174 : Prototype CA 333

Chances to evade, Run speed, 3 slots

Full set bonus : +xx% Visibility Range.

(Shoulders)

Guardians of light : Shoulders of Truth

All combat arts bonus, Attack value, 3 slots

T-energy : Shoulders of T-energy

Damage, untouchable force, vitality, 2 golds slots

(Arms)

T-Energy Modules : Arm Guards of T-energy

Damage, Primal mutation, Source warden focus

(Battery)

T-Energy Modules : Battery of T-energy

Direct Damage, Aspect : Source warden, 2 slots

(Belt)

T-Energy Modules : Girth of T-energy

Untouchable force, lost fusion lore, 2 slots

Lumen's Servants : Lumen's Sash

-xx% regeneration time, offensive skills, 2 slots

Combat modules CC10 : Belt module 114-1

T-energy shroud, Life regeneration, 2 slots

Unique : Opus Keri

Reduce penality from buffs, experience. per kills, Max HP, 2 slots

As these items are not very very good, you can also use a good rare belt.

(Boots)

T-Energy Modules : Boots of T-energy

-xx% DoT, Charged Grid, Block chances : root, 2 slots

(Relics)

Uniques relics are the best in terms of armor bonus. The second mod is not very important.

But if we can get a good relic with Armor Lore, Toughness, Willpower or Defense Value +xx/+xx%, it's always good. :P

(Weapon)

Nlovae's Mystery

Combat art range, Regen time, 2 gold slots

Tinwora's Curse

All combat arts, Regen time, 2 gold slots

Raging Ire

Strenght, Combat Art Skills, experience. per kills, 2 gold slots

Excalibran

Penality from buffs -xx%, Combat art skills, Regen time, 1 gold slot

Arnum's Prevalence

All combat arts, regen time, chances to find valuables, % strenght, 2 gold slots

Kal'dur's Legacy (boss only)

%Life leech, attack speed, 2 gold slots

Or a good rare star with %Life leech.

5- Bonus

Bonus to have absolutly :

Energy absorbtion : 40%

Our shield absorb only 60% of incoming damage. If we want a shield that absorbs all damage, we'll need to have 40% of this bonus. Only on amulets or Testa's Band.

+xx% Max energy shield (Warding energy modifier)

This bonus directly increase our shield power. 130-200% must be enough. Only on amulets.

Others usefull bonuses :

-xx% damage on time : all channels

Can reduce all the incoming DoTs. Try to have at least 80% in niob. Only on amulets.

+xx Experience per kills

We always want to get more experience ! :P

+xx All skills / +xx All combat arts

Boosting all skills and combat arts increase overall power.

+xx Defense Value

Increase base defense value.

+xx Aspect : T-Mutant

Boosting our main combat arts

-xx% Regeneration time / +xx% damage / +xx% armor / +xx% defense value

All these bonus are coming from blacksmith arts. All of them are usefull.

6- Pictures

Level 200 - 449 points in Blacksmith

bsmastery.jpg

Blacksmith Arts

bsregtime.jpg

bsdmg.jpg

bsarmor.jpg

Level 195 test-char, max shield values

shielmaxvalue.jpg

Chances to reflect : Combat Arts : 62.2%

Damage mitigation : 19.6%

Level 200 Normal char, max shield values

shieldnormal.jpg

Chances to reflect : Combat Arts : 60.7%

Damage mitigation : 18.6%

7- Final Notes

As usual, sorry for my "limited" english. This is my first guide here, hope you have enjoyed the read !

Final Words : Have fun :)

Edited by Woody
On a side note... doesn't testa's band unique ring have absorption?

Good point Barris :4rofl:

I'll add it with the next update.

Edited by Woody

Great guide Woody and grats on the level 200 :4rofl:

Makes me want to start a TG now, never got one past level 50 before.

Visibility range have a powerfull hidden bonus : it spawns more ennemies everywhere you go ! For Area of Effect chars it helps a lot for fast lvling.

Is this true or is it that we just see more enemies on the minimap that we wouldn't usually see? time to go shop some +vis if it's true :cry:

Great writeup Woody :4rofl:

Look almost identical with my TG's skills & CA mod wise, except that I took Riding over Blacksmith.

Bravo Woody! All my weeks of begging you for this build has finally made you crack :P

Thank for publishing. I wanted to say that there has been a shortage of published builds for Ice and Blood lately, and I'm sure the community is curious as to what's toeing the line these day.

You did good here with the formatting, organization...all it's missing is a complimentary poutine for all readers.

Nice work.

;)

gogo

Hi Woody, thanks for awesome guide :lol: I have only one question:

T-energy Shroud

2b Reduction - Further reduction to incoming damage. (5% + 0.1% per CA level damping)

Isn't for silver modification better Recharge?

:lol:

T-energy Shroud

Isn't for silver modification better Recharge?

I prefer to reduce incoming damage, because without Tactic Lore, recharge is too low.

By example :

At level 200, my CA level is 132 and I've 18.2% damage mitigation (5+0.1*132). No piece of armor in the game can give us this bonus.

With the Recharge Mod, we'll get only 135 in-combat recharge per second (3+1*132), which is very too low when we take 3k damage from a champion. :P

-little update-

Edited by Woody

It's not a build for melee, even if we use a kal'dur for bosses, we don't need more damage, and shield absorbtion is not affected by Tactic Lore (was surprised by this on a previous TG), it only affect Recharge mod, which is not interesting here.

:lol:

Hello Woody,

Respect to level 200 TG utility character and thanks for sharing your build and tip with visibility range.

I have a few small questions for you:-)

* What about Expert Touch in this build? Or did you started this character before Addon? Right now I am working on new cross-aspect TG with Expert Touch/Combos and it seems to be very useful.

* How much and in which kind of combat situations is unmodden Jolting Touch useful (for anyone TGs)?

* Is it really possible to brings 100% CAs reflection via Reflection T-Shield or does this modifier has diminishing returns too? (like ie. regeneration time)

* Is it possible to post pics of values of your smithy arts? How much points do you invest into Blacksmith?

Thanks for you answers.

vaclaf

I can answer the CA reflection question as I currently trying to get my SW's reflection to 100%, yes it's possible but it require masive amounts of it as the diminishing returns kicks in real good when you are up in 80-90%.

About 80% from gear will yield you 40% real reflect chance.

Good questions Vaclaf. :P

I've added some content to the first post.

* What about Expert Touch in this build? Or did you started this character before Addon? Right now I am working on new cross-aspect TG with Expert Touch/Combos and it seems to be very useful.

I've started my char after Ice and Blood. Here's the anwser :

Expert Touch : Yes or No ?

As we'll use only one offensive aspect (S. Warden) and the other aspect only for Buffs and passive CAs/combos (Devout G.), I'll say Yes, we can use it.

It will also reduce the regeneration time of all Combat Arts, and especially Fiery Ember, which help a lot.

* How much and in which kind of combat situations is unmodden Jolting Touch useful (for anyone TGs)?

Two possibilites where this CA unmodded can be usefull :

1- Against Bosses : reducing there attack speed. Very usefull to take less hits.

2- In a combo with Fiery Ember or Icy Evanescence, to get the Regeneration per Hit passive bonus.

* Is it really possible to brings 100% CAs reflection via Reflection T-Shield or does this modifier has diminishing returns too? (like ie. regeneration time)

Unfortunatelly, this CA have also diminishing returns...

Spunky have answered how to get 100%, it's really hard.. but with a good shield, it's not 100% needed, at level 180-200, 60% CA reflect is already very good.

* Is it possible to post pics of values of your smithy arts? How much points do you invest into Blacksmith?

I've added pics of it in the first post. :)

I've 140 hard points, because of a big mistake : I've choosed Spell Resistance instead of Combat discipline on my level-200 char, so I've putted the free points in blacksmith. I've 449 soft points in it.

But 75 hard points are greatly enough, with a good booster-set with +xx Blacksmith amulets socketed.

What happen? I clicked on reply, and it created new post instead of here in Sacred 2 Guides, Maps, and so forth section. I am going to copy & paste here.

Hi, I am new to this forum. Hmm.. I am on Sacred 2 Ice & Blood v2.65.2, and I don't see 3 buffs from TG. I am seeing only 2 buffs so far. T-Energy Shroud and Untouchable Force. Did latest patch change 3rd buff or something? Any advice which skill can be replaced by EP skill? I prefer to try 3 utilities TG all the way to level 200 if possible. Thanks.

Hi, I am new to this forum. Hmm.. I am on Sacred 2 Ice & Blood v2.65.2, and I don't see 3 buffs from TG. I am seeing only 2 buffs so far. T-Energy Shroud and Untouchable Force. Did latest patch change 3rd buff or something? Any advice which skill can be replaced by EP skill? I prefer to try 3 utilities TG all the way to level 200 if possible. Thanks.

The TG has always only had 2 permanent buffs. You can also modify Combat Alert as a buff, but most don't recommend it as it is far less effective as a buff than a cast-able mini-buff.

The TG has always only had 2 permanent buffs. You can also modify Combat Alert as a buff, but most don't recommend it as it is far less effective as a buff than a cast-able mini-buff.

Ah, thanks for info. I am waiting for someone to answer my last question if it is possible to add EP as third utility skill to replace other skill as long as can survive to Niob mode and reach to level 200? I bought gold edition yesterday after I got tired of PS3 due to crashed issue, quest bugs, lot of pathetic bugs like quest giver suddenly disappear as soon as I took off after picking quest up, and quest name changed to blanked name. "Arrgghh. I hate it when they do that." is what I was thinking. I have been study this guide again and again, and it feels like 3rd utility skill on one TG seem complicated, so that's why I need advice. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if you think this build could be started out as a melee by taking Warding Energy Lore, Armour Lore and 1pt Concentration first to have Battle Aura + shield to help get levels to strengthen the Area of Effect CAs.

This is the path I'm going to try to take as I play single player, and this is my first character. Any advice would be nice, and just to reiterate I am taking all the same skills/CAs, just a different order.

It probably could, but from my personal experience it is much much more pleasant to start out as a Source Warden. You will be very weak the first 10 levels or so no matter what anyway.

Most of the DevGuard arts only really start to come to their right in the mid-levels. Particularly the Deathly Spears, your main attack form, only really comes to it's right once you get your third pulse.

In contrast Fiery Ember/Icy Evanescence start to come to their right about level 12 or so.

Mod fire first and use that as much as possible. Use ice when fire runs out (if they are not dead yet). I would use a 3rd slot for charged grid and use that when I need more fire power and when its modded use it on wounded mobs. You don't use a lot of combat arts so you can use 3 slots. This is just my guess as I cannot speak for Woody.