Alien Swarm

Alien_Swarm_Header.jpg

Alien Swarm

is a freetop-down shooter

and a little bit similar to games like Counter Strike 2D, Shadowgrounds, Greed, or Space Siege..

as I understand it, development started as a L4D modding project, but the team was hired by valve,

and their game's now published on steam, for free... or a story something like this. but it's still free :)

there's several levels,

main aspect is on MP 4player co-op mode,

but you can also start a SP training session..

this game also comes with several tools in it's SDK,

so you can also start making your own maps, or mod..

it's a bit tactical,

there's friendly-fire on, so pay attention where you shoot ;)

ammo can sometimes be quite limited, so don't waste it in the very first few seconds..

here's a trailer, more info on steam or it's original HP.. :

http://www.alienswarm.com/index.html

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

Edited by Rotluchs

Currently downloading it. Didn't really pay attention to the multiplayer aspect at all. :) Just the fact that it was free got my attention. ;)

Might give it a try though, if my connection aint' killing me before...

:) played the first level

before I went to town to run some errands..

got pw0n3d , as I ran out of ammo,

so did the SP bots I configured to join the team^^

when I get back home, it's time for revenge ;)

Omgod...James you are E V O L

I LOVE the trailer, gameplay... in fact I loved it so much I turned it off half way through... too tempting... noooo must resist.

I'm definitely going to to keep this as an intbetweener from Sacred 2 to Sacred 3.

Maybe after Christmas we can get some games going here with peeps? Yummy

Great find!

:)

gogo

k, with servers down...this download is looking more and more yummy ...

that trailer is just amazing

Do we choose who we go in with for the four player mp? We can set up clans and stuff?

:tease:

gogo

No, that garbage is required to run the game :Just_Cuz_21:

I'd say the game is worth it though, it's very fun.

Do we choose who we go in with for the four player mp? We can set up clans and stuff?

It has an option of playing with friends.

Edited by Antitrust

heya Trust!

ah ha... only eight hours till my weekend... I really wanna give this a go. I don't like the whole "steam" thing though. Are there builds out there? Is the servers closed net, or is it all open?

:Just_Cuz_21:

gogo

Trailer looked very cool :) It seems like a pretty solid shooter, although I've mainly played FPS and 3rd Person. Hmm, this might be good for my laptop, which can't run high powered games like Sacred 2.

I think this is the same game I played a fair while ago. To answer you question Gogo, there are no builds and very few weapons, this is a team based Third Person Shooter with little to no RPG elements.

I think this is the same game I played a fair while ago.

ah yes ofc I just figured it out:

http://www.blackcatgames.com/

there was an original 'Alien Swarm' already released a few years ago,

a total conversion mod for and based on Unreal Tournament 2004 game/engine.

the 'new' Alien Swarm the original modding crew was working on, was based on the source engine..

somewhere during development or so they got hired by Valve, perhaps working on games like Left for Dead 2 and Portal 2..

now, it was released by Valve @ Steam. but still for free, like most of the fan-made mods.

the engine used now, is a 'modified' source engine / SDK etc from somewhere between L4D and Portal2.

that's also why some screenshots that I found,

while browsing it sometimes were looking so different.. I'm not used to many Unreal Engine mods so couldn't tell why, at first :blush:

(completely different engine!)

..about why Valve released that game for free, I think is pretty obvious, but read more about it here- for example:

"Why Alien Swarm is Free"

Edited by Rotluchs

ahhh, its used to be older version, thanks Hack. I had thought that the concept was close to a flash game that peeps used to play on office computers when boss wasn't looking ^^

And that was a great link James to why it's free. After all this...its still a steam game though. I am beginning to think that Steam process is "clunky" and adds weight and hassle to games that are coming through on it. Steam may work on games like this that are free..but on bought games?

After seeing what happened to Sacred 2 with Steam, I'm quite wary of this process and, while I may get a free game download from it, I'll probably never buy a game from it.

:)

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing this game for some time now, and I can highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi and action.

It's servers are stable, it's got good graphics, it's intense and satisfying, and most of all, it's addicting!

Come on folks, it's free!

If you have never played this game before, I can give you some good hints:

1. NEVER leave your squadmembers. The aliens WILL gang up on loners and bash them to death.

2. ALWAYS have at least one healer in the squad. The healing gun is the best way of saving dying noobs.

3. Know the map. This will require some playthroughs, but it will really give you the upper hand knowing excactly where the enemy will appear.

4. Check your characters stats. Some characters do more damage with explosives, others have very short reload time, some are better at healing, etc..

5. If the grain-filter in the graphics annoy you, you can disable it in the console. (Choose the console-button of choice in the options menu.)

6. If you are surrounded by utter noobs with big guns, you WILL take friendly fire. Stay away from them at all costs.

7. The Vindicator is a very powerful weapon if it's in the right hands..

8. Flame-thrower ROCKS and also stuns enemies.

Faith is the best healer, but the male healer is better at killing enemies.

I have played it casually recently and liked it very much. (Well I am still a level 7 noob Tech but I enjoyed the mission design and teamplay!)

The circumstance that it is open source and well documented made my fingers itch a little to make a new campaign addon, but CM comes first at the moment and I need to figure out the valve editing tools first. :)

So anyone wants to team up for some action, I still have the last two missions of the campaign to beat. :D

(Might it be a good idea to collect some steam accountnames here to add to ones friends list?)

Well, if anyone is interested thats me.

Edited by czevak
aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... I so want to play...but steam ... it makes me cry

Aw, don't cry. Just play. :sigh:

Steam is not so bad at all, as long as you don't play sacred 2 over it. Alien Swarm starts up relatively fast, as opposed to other games I experienced on steam. It only handles the matchmaking and account management side of the game anyway. You wont notice it is steam ingame.

I must agree with Czevak here, Gogo.

This game is very stable over steam, and it's the only reason I downloaded steam in the first place.

Another useful hint:

NEVER reload after a couple of shots. This is one of those games where you don't save the ammo left in the clip when reloading.