What size monitor would be best to display Sacred 2 optimally in best rez

Hey guys

Carolyn has started a weekly discussion thread on a pic of the week, and the pics she's putting up are incredible! Sorry, I posted it as a png so it looks best:

sacredshadow.jpg

What kind of monitor size do you think would really make this game shine at the rez being displayed, with all settings at highest level...basically making our machine work at it.

I've got a seventeen inch monitor and...I just don't think it's gonna cut it. I may in fact, with playing it at lower rez miss out.

nooooooooooooooooo

:devil:

gogo

Right, so the image without the borders is 1280×1024 in resolutions which means that the monitor should be at least 17". However I believe that the best results for this resolution would be achieved on a 19" monitor.

Guess it's time to start upgrading them monitors huh? :devil:

... What kind of monitor size do you think would really make this game shine at the rez being displayed, with all settings at highest level...basically making our machine work at it.

I've got a seventeen inch monitor and...I just don't think it's gonna cut it. I may in fact, with playing it at lower rez miss out.

nooooooooooooooooo

:D

gogo

I don't think it is anything to do with the monitor. If you could see the screenshot in your monitor this good, it's mean your monitor is qualify for it.

Magic is in the hardware and mostly is in the graphic card. If your graphic card able to deliver all the maximum level of graphic effects, you should see same quality on any resolution (might be smaller or bigger view area but quality should be same). This is my opinion. I didn't play the game or tested on somewhere, just thinking this way :devil:

By the way, I hate widescreen unless game made for it. With widescreens you get perfect horizontal area but vertically you still need to scroll around. It is not giving me 100% excitement.

Am I not going to be happy if I get 21" wide? Yes I will but if I have a choice, I will pick regular 21".

• 5 months later...

lol Yarasa. Evil! :thumbsup:

Wow, this was a lot more complicated than I thought it was going to be. I share your confusion stubbie, lol. I did a bit of googling on 16:10 monitors and it looks as though 16:10 is a somewhat and increasingly popular standard for monitors so I think you'll be alright. Since your monitor is new though I'm guessing that in the options to change your resolution you will have many resolutions to choose from. Additionally there are ways to create custom resolutions in some cases. I'm betting that due to the popularity of 16:10 that Sacred 2 will support it.

From various searches it's seems gamers with 16:10 prefer 1280x800 resolution. Is that resolution in your list of choice resolutions for your monitor?

From various searches it's seems gamers with 16:10 prefer 1280x800 resolution. Is that resolution in your list of choice resolutions for your monitor?

Yes, I can get that resolution, as well as many more mate.......but: (from an online site I found)

When buying an LCD monitor, you will see that it has what is called a “native resolution”. This is basically the maximum resolution of the monitor, but it is more. It is that resolution which the monitor is designed to run at and still offer the crispest picture possible. CRT monitors can operate at smaller resolutions and there is no loss of detail, however LCD monitors rely on scaling and anti-aliasing to scale down their images. The result can be fuzzy pictures and text that looks a bit fuzzy as well.

The best bet is to use the LCD at its native resolution. The next best alternative, though, would be to run the monitor at a resolution which is an integer factor of the native resolution. For example, if an LCD monitor has a native resolution of 1600×1200, then an integer factor resolution would be 800×600. In this scenario, the ration of height and width on the screen is the same and this images will not appear distorted. But, most resolutions operate at a 4:3 ratio and any ratio which is different can cause potential distortion.

In my case the native resolution is 1680 x 1050 so while lowering the resolution to 1280 x 800 is possible it is not desirable. It will just lower the quality not the aspect ratio.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is whether Sacred 2 will be supporting 16:10 aspect ratio. If not then the picture on my monitor will be distorted. There are various methods that can try to overcome this but usually it involves stretching the image or reducing some of the Field of Vision........neither are really acceptable to widescreen owners.

And you are correct in your comment that 16:10 is becoming more and more popular for pc monitors so heres hoping the Sacred 2 developers are aware of this too :)

stubbs

In my case the native resolution is 1680 x 1050 so while lowering the resolution to 1280 x 800 is possible it is not desirable. It will just lower the quality not the aspect ratio.

Perhaps a more pertinent question is whether Sacred 2 will be supporting 16:10 aspect ratio. If not then the picture on my monitor will be distorted. There are various methods that can try to overcome this but usually it involves stretching the image or reducing some of the Field of Vision........neither are really acceptable to widescreen owners.

And you are correct in your comment that 16:10 is becoming more and more popular for pc monitors so heres hoping the Sacred 2 developers are aware of this too :bow:

stubbs

I distinctly remember making a mental note that one or more articles stated that Sacred 2 will support widescreen. I'll try to look it up and post a link.