Poison, Ice, Fire or Magic, Physical

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which Element Modifier is the Best?

• Fire
    • Ice
    • Poison
    • Magic
    • Physical

None.

And all of them.

The thing is, if... You want to deal the maximum damage possible, in every single place. You have to switch between them.

Alternantively. you can find a grinding spot you really like, and stick to the damage type that is most usefull there

As an average there doesn't seem to be a main "Ice zone" so thats why I thought it would have the least resistant creatures.

Fire is all over in the Seraphim island/Desert

Poison is in the Swamp

Magic seems to be pretty general around.

this is my thinking

I use Fire when I'm starting out near Sloeford...nice against the undead in that area as you get near Thylisseum. As well, I find Fire useful in the swamps, and I use Poison solely against the Orcs. Those are probably my favorite Damage Types as they are both Dots and I love the animation.

:thumbsup:

gogo

I keep hearing people dual wield 1 fire and 1 ice swords... I have found Magic and fire to be the least resisted in the game. It is even hard to find any area where an enemy is resistant to both types. I just carry around 2 magic swords and 2 fire swords, when one is resisted, I switch to the other quickly. Why would you want one of your swords to be resisted through most of the game like fire/ice is?

Hi Stratos, moved your post over here so you can get good answers in a post about Damage Types. I use fire only against monsters that I am playing a lot against. Since I most level in the Swamps which is the best place for leveling because of it's high high spawn level, Fire Damage Type gives me:

1- Best damage versus monster's resistances in the swamps

2- A DoT to finish off stubborn stragglers.

And, when I play versus Orcs, I get my weapon resocketed to a Poison element for the same reasons.

:thumbsup:

gogo

I voted: Fire, because I like doing dead holds the streets in swamp, and 2 other swamp quests - and white griffin.

My usual run route / xp level from level 45 or so.

I've gotta admit...lol, I think pretty much the only time lately I've been switching the damage types is when I go in to face bosses. In those cases, the extra damage is very much welcomed. ^^

Niobium level Enemies have HUGE elemental resistances... so for levels like that you'd have to be pretty sharp with the correct elements.

:cool:

gogo

Actually just Fire...most of the time... cuz I like the effect and cuz I'm lazy :D

:cool:

gogo

For the Scorp, it's Ice...that kind of damage takes good chunks out of him plus his colleagues. Fire's effect will affect the Scoropion, but his mini scorps have resistance against it.

Personally I try to always have some source of magic damage at hand. Yes Fire and Poison are lovely DoTs, however you have to remember that their DoT is based entirely on a % of the fire/poison damage dealt when it triggered.

On the other hand if Weaken Triggers, then it triggers. (And Weaken in many ways is one of the more powerful DoTs, it reduces stats so against stronger enemies leaves them easier for you to kill.

Hmm.....Actually I Would Probably Change My Answer To Magic, Considering I Dont See That Many People With That Resistance. And I Beat Garganthropod With Magic Too =).

-Jamie.

Personally I try to always have some source of magic damage at hand. Yes Fire and Poison are lovely DoTs, however you have to remember that their DoT is based entirely on a % of the fire/poison damage dealt when it triggered.

On the other hand if Weaken Triggers, then it triggers. (And Weaken in many ways is one of the more powerful DoTs, it reduces stats so against stronger enemies leaves them easier for you to kill.

Agree with Zinsho 100%. All things being equal in so far as the target's resistances, I'll take weaken over a DoT every single time. Against champs and especially bosses, it both makes them less threatening to you and way easier to kill. I hardly ever switch damage type based on normal mobs I'll be fighting, so to me the only relevant debate is with bosses, where weaken really shines. Plus, because it "triggers when it triggers" as Zinsho put it, it's inherently more effective while dual wielding, which I tend to do. To optimize DoT damage you need a big initial hit (like 2H weapons provide), so for 2H fighting DoTs are more attractive.

While very few things are especially vulnerable to magic (compared to say, ice which is a relatively common vulnerability), I also feel like there are fewer things that are especially resistant to it either. Sure lots of things have some magic resist, but its nothing you can't cut through generally. To me, that makes it a solid "standard option" as well.

Later on though, its best to switch damage types based on the boss(es) you'll soon be fighting as resistances get very high.

Ok, this might be a silly question, but don't I get the most damage by keeping my attacks 100% physical and using % to physical rings and such (or 100% magic/fire/ice/poison/whatever, it's the "100%" that matters). If you have, for example, a +10% to physical ring, and one blowpipe with 70% physical and 30% poison damage and one blowpipe with 100% physical damage, won't I net more total damage from the 100% one?

Lets say both blowpipes have 100-100 damage. In that case would the 100% physical one have a damage total of 110 physical damage. The 70/30 one on the other hand would only end up with 70*0.1=77, 77+30=107 total damage? The difference might seem small now but when the damage numbers of the weapons climb and add 6 pieces of your gear that gives +% physical damage the difference becomes larger.

This is my theory and I really want it confirmed or denied. Does it work like this? Does the physical resistance in higher difficulties make it not worth it? This has been bugging me since I started my dryad. I feel like I can only use 100% physical blowpipes and like I have to leave all the damage sockets empty (because all of my rings are +% physical and a couple of pieces of my gear has it too). I have been playing on and off for a couple of months but I have not read too much number crunching and theory crafting.

Ok, this might be a silly question, but don't I get the most damage by keeping my attacks 100% physical and using % to physical rings and such (or 100% magic/fire/ice/poison/whatever, it's the "100%" that matters). If you have, for example, a +10% to physical ring, and one blowpipe with 70% physical and 30% poison damage and one blowpipe with 100% physical damage, won't I net more total damage from the 100% one?

I see what you're saying, but I'm fairly certain that's not the case. The game calculates %physical (or whatever other damage modifier you've got) before damage conversion, meaning in your example, both pipes would get boosted to the same degree, then afterward the one with damage conversion would do partially physical and partially poison damage.

Damage conversion is pretty much never a bad idea as long as you're using the appropriate one(s) for the challenge at hand. Also, yes in higher difficulties, some monsters have physical resistances so high that it makes them effectively immune to that damage type.

So far, all of my conversions have been applied via Lava rocks.

I too love the visuals and the increased chance to set the foe on fire works very well with Blazing tempest for my HE pyromaniac :agreed:

I was thinking of changing to ICE once I venture 'deep into the desert' so I welcome some feedback in regards to ICE damage in the desert.

Happy hunting and good luck to all :unsure:

• 6 months later...

In Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance 2, any status effects that you put on weapons always worked. Ice gave a slow status and it lowered defense, fire did burn damage, poison... poison damage over time, electricity would periodically stun enemies and the holy element would give a chance to instantly banish undead regardless of HP. You could hit the undead and they would explode into this white light. It was kind of cool. There was also a bleed status which made the monsters bleed huge amounts of blood for DoT. It was pretty comical actually, because everytime you hit them, it would add to the animation.

If you combined 2 elements to the same weapon, you'd inflict both status affects. I had a holy flaming bow, poisonus daggers that electorcuted stuff, and some gloves that could leech life and mana. I use to have a poison/fire sword and a ice/electric sword, but I gave those up to make them a stronger version of pure fire and pure ice swords. When dual wielding, I was ready for anything. It's just to bad that you don't get status effects 100% of the time in this game. Would the Damage Lore skill make this possible?

I don't have a favorite as they are all needed in different places, I may go most of game using fire or ice but that is only as you can do majority of game with them. There are places they don't work, so I generally have weapons made up using all 4 elements.

I didn't vote as they are all useful.

• 7 months later...

I mainly stick with straight physical most of the time.

Although I do fancy Magic. Who can go wrong with Weaken, basically a DoT.

Physical is not an option in this poll. I voted MAGIC DAMAGE because of its native Weaken DoT. Weaken equals faster kill speed in my book.

I remain, Etherian