Melee Inquisitor - Niobium Build Discussion

I'm not sure if this should go in post or not - it's more "what I'm planning" and I'm looking for feedback - feel free to move it to the appropriate place, I know Cthulhu has a similar post.

Alright, I've done the melee Inquisitor before, and I rocked him all the way to niob, where the weaknesses of the build began to manifest themselves. I used the buffs: PC, RP, and dopp, and pretty much only used Callous Execution. I was modded the PC to give 5% dmg to my dopp, but other than that pretty much went all crazy on adding dmg mods. I was one hit killing everything all the way through plat, and didn't realize how hard I would get hit niob. Turns out 5% dmg mitigation just isn't alot. Ouch. Did you know that when you die and you have your dopp out on the 360, you lose your survival bonus and it saves right away? I didn't even fully understand attak / defense or armor values. I should have done more research before I got started.

The result of my research is my new build (although I did really enjoy the approach so it's the same at it's core):

First off, as far as attributes go, I'm gonna take the MTCityHunter approach and go with all Vitality. This build is gonna rush into niob and I seem to do enough dmg.

Last time I tried to split vitality and strength with a 2 points strength to 1 point vitality and didn't have the HP pool I needed. I'm concerned that this build might be too defensive eventually, so I might end up going with 1:1 at later lvls, but the plan is all Vitality.

For a PC buffed Inquisitor, a large HP pool might seem counter intuitive, at you have to take more abuse to really get the lower HP % to get the benifits of the buff, but at the higher lvls you get hit hard enough that it's not a problem.

As far as skills my plan looks like this:

Gruesome Inquisition Focus 75

Dual Wield 100

Concentration 1

Tactics Lore 200

Armor Lore 100

Astute Supremacy Focus 9

Constitution 200

Spell Resistance 75

Toughness 75

This leaves me with one open skill slot and 86 points to move around. I have two (reasonable) options.

(1) take concentration to mastery and put 9 points in NN focus to mod out Soul Reaver and use it as a third buff (3 remaining points)

(2) take any other another skill to mastery (11 points remaining)

I'm thinking option 2, and I'm thinking Combat Discipline, but I'm open to suggestions.

as far as mods go:

GI mods:

Purifying Chastisement - mystic, merciless, hallow

Callous Execution - bleed, lacerate, draw life

Frenetic Fervor - fanaticism, resolve, relentless

Mortifying Pillory - disgrace, expulsion, mortify

AS mods:

Reverse Polarity - rebound, counterblow, evade

basic strat:

Callous Execution everything.

On bosses I like to combo Mortifying Pillory with Dislodged Spirit

Any suggestions for improvements?

Edited by gogoblender

Good read, and just in time. I'm about ready to go down the evil path sometime today, and am looking at every thing people are posting. So far, your work seems to have some great questions, so I've moved it to Inquisitor Discussion. Maybe after when you're ready to present the completed work of art, you can post a new build in the Inquisitor Guides section to add to the collection. Inquisitor builds are only coming out slowly and finished products are gold.

:)

gogo

I would suggest removing 76 points from Tactics Lore to be honest.

This would allow you to put 74 points into Concentration, use 3 buffs. And still be able to put enough points into Nefarious Netherworld to modify Soul Reaver, Dislodged Spirit and even Inexorable if you want, as well as for example modding Clustering Maelstrom to allow for better crowd gathering/Zealous Doppleganger for extra boss support. Of course it is your choice. Combat discipline sound good as well.

Thanks Jonathan,

I had considered what you said, but here's why I went away from it. I think the SR buff isn't really good on bosses, and when I just farm, I'm mostly in the orc cave, where the buff resets every time you zone in. Additionally, the giant increase in defense makes me take no dmg - so there's no synergy with the PC buff. In my mind, you should only really play one or the other, and not both. I know this is not true in all cases. Also, I think the buff from FF gives me enough additional attack that I don't have to worry about landing blows when I need to, so the attack from the SR buff can be a bit redundant.

That being said, I don't know that the dislodged spirit mods would be worth it, especially with the draw life mod on Callous Execution, I should be fine on bosses and I never use disloged spirit on normal mobs. Also the Inexorable mods don't seem worth enough to cause me to take the NN focus as a skill.

But that's why I didn't include them. Although part of me wants to skip concentration all together, and just buff PC. Has anyone tried that?

If you were not playing on console....

I never really played an inquisitor. My oldest daughter started one, based on the experience I did with my alchemy builds for dryads and melee elves. She used bargaining to unlock alchemy. She was not using double-wielding because she likes two-hand polearms. Also the doppleganger was not as a buff. But concentration was at mastery at 75 for the 3 'normal' buffs.

So if she has no souls to boost her hit chance, she uses a trollteeth to get it. The orc cave is nice for that, because it is kinda self supplying with trollteeth. Since she has no weapon skill she doesn't make any doublehits, nor can she use modifiers on weapons which need a lore. On the other side:

The hit chance is get via jewels to hit champions at 100%. For bosses and hard to hit champions you use trollteeth. So the hit-chance is the same if you use energy-staves, two-handed swords, polearms....

At non reflecting bosses a polearm with x% life-leech is a fantastic weapon, at melee but not ranged reflectors you can use energy-lances,....

She gave up some damage for more flexability in PvP-duels with classmates, trophies to block root effects, giving big amount of physical armour, boost attack speed, better healing potions, mentors lasting for minutes, concentration potions reducing 60% even in niob, anti-undead potion last long enough to cross the swamp, ....

But I heared that trophies are hard to use on consoles. On PC I hotkeyed trollteeth with t ( as Treffen, german for to hit), and other easy to remember keys.

(Melee)-Inquisitors had always the bad rumour that they would be real bad versus single enemies. But Alchemy had a rumour of being useless too. And I really like it, mainly in PvP.

Edited by chattius