Armor v/s Defence

So I'm in the process of building my 1st Dryad and everything was going fine until it came time to pick my mods, Ancient Bark in particular. For those of you that don't know the bronze mods are either add to your overall armor value or add to your defence value. I know that armor has something to do with defence but what does defence actually do? I think I saw a post like this somewhere before so if an admin wants to merge topics that would be great!

Hi Optimal

I've always taken the Armor mod for that choice. Defense will decrease your chance of being hit, so you'll still get hit sometimes, but less often.

Choosing the armor mod will give you an all-out decrease in damage done to you.

If you're playing a Dryad, chances are you're ranged? If you're playing ranged, there's a good chance that you're using distance to keep enemies off your back as you tear them apart from a distance. Hence why Armor always worked better for me, because most enemies could never get to me in time before I hit them first, and when they did hit, the armor mod choice would result in less damage.

:bow:

gogo

Armor is your character protection value. Defense rating is just that - the defense of your char. The defense rating shows how likely is for the enemy to hit your char. So generally, the more defensive rating you have, the lower the chance that the enemy will hit you.

Generally it's like this:

Enemy swings -> Defensive rating check => result: you are hit or enemy misses

If you are hit, various factors kick in. The damage you take is reduced by a factor of your overall armor value, damage mitigations, etc.

So it's up to each player to decide which is best. Generally, every close combat char would like a defense rating that would drop the enemy chance to hit to under 8%. Casters and ranged chars usually have limited options to boost their defense rating (because they take CA mods to augment their ranged abilities) and will probably go with higher armor rating.

The replies are great, shed some light for me! :blush:

But I would like to ask a more char-specific question: I am now going to go through silver wastelands with my new high elf, after my last high-elf died in platinum. The main problem I have here is with champion blade demons, the ones which look like the aliens from the Alien movie series. Two of those paired together could kill my High Elf virtually instantly. What kind of equipment should I try to get? + Armour and + Max Hitpoints? Physical Damage mitigation? Defense? Chance to evade?

The replies are great, shed some light for me! :blush:

But I would like to ask a more char-specific question: I am now going to go through silver wastelands with my new high elf, after my last high-elf died in platinum. The main problem I have here is with champion blade demons, the ones which look like the aliens from the Alien movie series. Two of those paired together could kill my High Elf virtually instantly. What kind of equipment should I try to get? + Armour and + Max Hitpoints? Physical Damage mitigation? Defense? Chance to evade?

define instantly.

1hit?

2hit?

are you using a shield?

if you aren't using a shield, I would seriously consider one

Well... I would have to say none of the above...

Try to get CA regen times as low as possible and kill any enemy before they get to you. That's the thing that saves the HE. Still, having good armor helps to survive a few hits. Try with good Armor lore, robes of innocence, stalworth safeguard, shield lore and constitution. That should do it. lso, make sure to take as few hits as possible. The HE is really frail, so you should keep a close eye on her at all times.

Edited by Dobri

Thanks!

Yes, I know she's very weak, that's why I do almost always keep my distance, but in the wastelands caves, it happens very often that you enter the cave and you're surrounded. Also, those demons are very fast.

I've managed to get past them in silver though. :P It seems they weren't so tough after all, at least not in silver. They did only 100ish damage per hit. (They had 229 damage, half magic, I had 600ish physical armour and 150 magic armour; So I would like to ask... where can I find some maths on how armour works in Sacred 2? :))

You can move to avoid damage. (run speed, teleport)

You can scare monsters away. (expulse magic)

You can be invisible. (cascading shroud, teleport)

You can reflect damage. (fire skin for melee)

You can block damage. (shield lore in combination wit ha scaling shield, fire skin for ranged)

You can evade damage. (cascading shroud)

You can defend versus damage. (shield lore, speed lore, dexterity)

If all that failed:

Your armour can absorb some damage.

Damage mitigation can lower the damage. (fireskin for fire damage, cascading shroud for physical)

If all the above failed:

You hopefully have enough hitpoints left.

I don't use combinations with my melee elf and her 4 hot keys are: magic coup, expulse magic, cascading shroud and shadow step.

Expulse magic is one of the best protection spells in the game if it is modded for defense. A caster-elf should be way easier to play than my melee-elves and my melee-elves can survive in hard core niob. You have to find a nice and working combination of active and passive protection spells and equipment which fits to your playstyle.

Thank you for your advice! :P

The thing is, I always do my best to keep the distance. But the caves in the wastelands are the only area where I can get killed before even realizing who's doing the killing. :) The wastelands region is the only region where I abandon + skills gear for defense gear. :) :)

Thank you for your advice! :)

The thing is, I always do my best to keep the distance. But the caves in the wastelands are the only area where I can get killed before even realizing who's doing the killing. :) The wastelands region is the only region where I abandon + skills gear for defense gear. ;):)

I use to press expulse magic whenever I enter a cave. If I can't stay away from monsters, then the monsters should stay away from me. When the monsters run away they can't hurt me. When I am in my expulse magic circle I am quite immune to combat arts. It is working for me. Well I have expulse modded for power and the savety, not the damage, mods. Also arcane lore may have some effect too.