Polearms... Strength, Intelligence or Dexterity?

hi....

I have a few toons into polearms. the one thing I have noticed is that dmg. rates(not strait weapon dmg.) changes.

I guess my :) is, is there a chart of some sort to tell u what polearms are affected by which stats. and if not there should be. I play on sp/ps3. now I feel rather noobish after writing this. but there has to be a system to it. like javalins are str, based only. and halibards are dex, based. if any 1 knows how these weapons are based, I think it would help alot on how people will build 2handed toons, let alone taking some stress out of my life. (long live polearms)..

p.s... would someone please post a pic of a lightsaber from merchant.. cant tell the differance between annedated blades on my t.v.

(godess bless you)

Hi topaz

Weapon table here on Wiki shows stats on all weapons groupings:

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Weapons

It gives all the weapon groupings as well as attributes that modify them. If you're looking to see a particular Unique's modifying attribute, just search for the Unique's own page, and then see what attribute is listed as it's modifier.

All Polearms are either modded by Dex or Int, only wands are modded by Intelligence.

Cheers

:)

gogo

p.s. most dex two handers look like they have a marshmallow on the top.

I play on pc, However I welcome your post, as there is little discussion of Poles.

I have/had every Pole in the game (I think).

My love of the weapon is this..

1) I truly believe you get a, sort of length or reach bonus.

2) Easily stored replacement Poles.

3) When combined with Scything Seep and Frenzied Rampage (SW), He's bad$#%.

I see no particular pattern in them, you just must balance the weapons bonuses and attributes to your build and what Bonuses they give, and Items available to socket into them.

Once mastered, you'll see the beauty of using them. I throw dexterity and strength at them, ( as well as the obvious, Pole skill ).

Its all I use, besides my trusty Bulls eye bow. Every build.

Hope this post gains momentum.

Jet

1) I truly believe you get a, sort of length or reach bonus.

I've owned 15x-25x of every single unique spear class weapon in this game[some mules have ONLY spears....I now realize that I have a packrat problem] and with testing as I've tried different variants of pole builds believing them to give you range a la diablo2 did, but alas, no visible difference at all. mainly, it was an obsession with pvp.

as for the lightsabre, that's how it appears at the merchant. only surrounded with other weapons/shields

[edit]

also realized that what you perceive as additional range could be that when targetting with a multi hit melee attack, it will sometimes strike an opponent up on a ledge or across the screen. it's a bug that's been reported that had some nasty effects[magic coup modded stray dmg would Area of Effect a group off screen and the spike dmg would reflect back = you dead]. this works with all melee weapons and in addition, spears with 'chance to hit multiple opponents' scaling property would further create this range illusion.

you're welcome to prove me wrong, of course.

also, being on your mount gives you a small addition to range in regard to melee attacks. whether or not this is merely a display error and you are in fact face to face with enemies, that is up to debate, but from my experience, I think that being on your mount does indeed increase your melee attack range. try it with a dryad, you'll see what I mean. just use left click attacks.

Edited by soldats

I played my first polearm character -a lancer elf- in sacred2 as soon as I had some time and bought the game in decembre 2008. I played hunter seeker spear serafim in sacred1 and a Jabazon in diablo2 when everybody sayed that lancer-amazons are too weak to be played.

In Sacred2 the big advantages of a polearm were there biggest disadvantages in pre-2.43 too. You never knew which targets would be hit by magic coup in combination with a polearm chance to hit more enemies. So I gave up on polearms when I had to undergo an eye surgery. I wasn't able and willing to check surroundings in a wide radius for reflectors first before doing a magic coup.

2.43 lowered reflection damage by a big amount, so a polearm-elf could now be playable.

Not having a shield makes characters without toughness a bit tricky defense-wise. An elf can't even have reflexes. So my approach was a lancer-elf which used fireskin for its reflect and cascading shroud for its evasion. The fire vulnerability of cascading shroud is a bit weakened by fire mitigation from the skin. I suffered 5 deaths with the lancer, 1 in early gold when our 1 year old twins tried to climb on my knees and 4 in niob when first facing out of screen reflectors. Last 3 of them to find out what the hell happened.

One of the advantages of some polearms is their x% life leech. X% life leech is depending on the maximal hitpoints of your enemy. So a 2% leech is 200 extra damage at a 10.000hp mob, but 20000 at a 1.000.000hp boss. This extra damage can't be resisted and is healing you. So a polearm character is not really needing a combat art optimized for boss killing.

And the last reason to play polearm-elf: no shield hiding the beauty. And no she is not wearing these negligee-like set armours, but yellow stuff, so she looks a bit more than a warrioress.

Strength or Dexterity for polearms

I think the polearm is using strength if used active: spears for thrusting, beard-axes thrust and swing. While anti cavalry weapons are more dexterity. You press the end in the ground and you have only to aim with the tip against a rider.

So beard-axe and spear = strength, and lance and gleve = dexterity. But since polearms were made in millions of different styles there will be people saying that long beard-axes and spears could be used to stop horses too, and that some gleves had edges and were swung, ..... Some languages copied weapon names from other languages but not in the same meaning.

In germany there is Kuse and Glefe. The tips look same but the length is up to 5 feet for the Kuse and 10 feet for the Glefe. So here the Glefe is way closer to lances than in french or english usage.

Edited by chattius
Well for people who like to know before buying ;)

I thought my answer more for guessing why the developers made some with strength and some with dexterity.

You present predicament is probably the result of a developer cockup.

Back in Sacred 1 there were two kinds of staves (back then they were both boosted by Dexterity and Long Handled Weapons), regular fighting staves meant primarily as weapons and mage staves meant mainly for casters.

In Sacred 2 this is also true, but now there is a separate proficiency for Magical Staves and they are boosted by a different attribute as well (Intelligence). In order to prevent any confusion they decided to rename the fighting staves to "Poles" and give them pole-arm sounding names such as "pike" or "glaive" despite the fact they still look like staves. Of course this only breeds more confusion.

So, the rule of thumb for polearms is: Does it looks sharp? Then it is strength based. Does it look blunt (disregarding a few horns or spikes)? It is dexterity based.

Two-handed magical staves can generally be recognised by the funky colours they have in the inventory screen and the fact they pretty much all have considerable elemental damage.

As for the names they have:

Impaler/Javelin/Spear: Javelins, strength based Pole Arms. - Looks like spears.

Halberd/Bardiche/Gisarme: Halberds, a strength based Pole Arm. - Looks like halberds, poll-axes, war-scythes and occasionally a long pike.

Pike/Lance/Glaive: Poles, dexterity based Pole Arms. - Looks like staves, topped with ornaments or mace-heads.

Long Staff/Ceremonial Staff/Ritual Staff: Two-handed Magical Staves, intelligence based Magical Staves. - Looks like an ornamental staves.

Personally I believe it would have been better if Ascaron had just called the dex-based polearms "Fighting Staves". People would have been confused anyway.

wow. lots-o-info. thanks to you all that posted something to help me with the debate over pole-arms. I do agree that some should have been named pole-arms, battle staffs, and mage-staves. just to bunch them all in one group as there all

2-handed does make my eyes water. ;)

gogo tyvm for merchant pic. sara is lvl112/gold and still have not yet to see one.

now I hope this thread keeps going for all pole-arm fans. and mabey I or someone will do some tests on length or reach, and othere worthwhile bits-and-pieces.

to all sacred2 players... keep playing and loving this wonderful game

I played my first polearm character -a lancer elf- in sacred2 as soon as I had some time and bought the game in decembre 2008. I played hunter seeker spear serafim in sacred1 and a Jabazon in diablo2 when everybody sayed that lancer-amazons are too weak to be played.

In Sacred2 the big advantages of a polearm were there biggest disadvantages in pre-2.43 too. You never knew which targets would be hit by magic coup in combination with a polearm chance to hit more enemies. So I gave up on polearms when I had to undergo an eye surgery. I wasn't able and willing to check surroundings in a wide radius for reflectors first before doing a magic coup.

2.43 lowered reflection damage by a big amount, so a polearm-elf could now be playable.

Not having a shield makes characters without toughness a bit tricky defense-wise. An elf can't even have reflexes. So my approach was a lancer-elf which used fireskin for its reflect and cascading shroud for its evasion. The fire vulnerability of cascading shroud is a bit weakened by fire mitigation from the skin. I suffered 5 deaths with the lancer, 1 in early gold when our 1 year old twins tried to climb on my knees and 4 in niob when first facing out of screen reflectors. Last 3 of them to find out what the hell happened.

One of the advantages of some polearms is their x% life leech. X% life leech is depending on the maximal hitpoints of your enemy. So a 2% leech is 200 extra damage at a 10.000hp mob, but 20000 at a 1.000.000hp boss. This extra damage can't be resisted and is healing you. So a polearm character is not really needing a combat art optimized for boss killing.

And the last reason to play polearm-elf: no shield hiding the beauty. And no she is not wearing these negligee-like set armours, but yellow stuff, so she looks a bit more than a warrioress.

Strength or Dexterity for polearms

I think the polearm is using strength if used active: spears for thrusting, beard-axes thrust and swing. While anti cavalry weapons are more dexterity. You press the end in the ground and you have only to aim with the tip against a rider.

So beard-axe and spear = strength, and lance and gleve = dexterity. But since polearms were made in millions of different styles there will be people saying that long beard-axes and spears could be used to stop horses too, and that some gleves had edges and were swung, ..... Some languages copied weapon names from other languages but not in the same meaning.

In germany there is Kuse and Glefe. The tips look same but the length is up to 5 feet for the Kuse and 10 feet for the Glefe. So here the Glefe is way closer to lances than in french or english usage.

Loved this information, Chattius. I've always had a kind of interest in weapons, why they look the way they do, and how they arose out of utility, and their development.

A great read for this topic, thanks for the post.

:blink:

gogo