As some of you have probably noted since yesterday, there have been messages running across the bottom of the Wiki asking you to save the world.

Those are ads

Bad ones, google public service ads...but still ads ^^

We suck at ads. It's something we don't want to spend any time doing, and trying to figure out code for something like this which we've kept out of our home for five years now really goes against the grain. But hosting costs are adding up, and with this year's total coming in at about 500.00 for both sites which includes domain registrations, hosting, two photobuckets to keep images cheap, hosting for the wiki maps, bridge tween this forum and the wiki plus our annual costs of keeping the IPB forum license, we want to make sure we have money left over for groceries :)

We were hoping to have ads in the wiki a few months ago, but we found it terribly difficult to organize with all the custom work Schot has put into the skin, and so left it till now (lol, too late, company's gone bankdrupt? :D ). So hopefully a cool gaming ad at bottom of wiki can help us with a bit with costs, and maybe another one here at DarkMatters.

We've held out as long we could, but if we want to keep the sites running well, with as little downtime as possible, we hope you guys don't mind too much the real world poking it's way into DarkMatters and Sacredwiki, and still want to hang here.

To everyone that posts, writes guides, contributes laughter, and that has stuck in hundreds, probably thousands of hours into Wiki, thank you, hopefully this step can keep us still floating, and still happy.

Cheers!

;)

gogo

I know we've talked about this before but I'll throw it out there again. I would rather contribute toward the hosting fees than see ads and such ruin the ambiance of Dark Matters. I know everyone may not feel the way I do or have the financial means to do so, but for those that do, would you consider letting us help defray the costs of running the sites:)

Got to do what ya got to do. Like Knuckles said if there's a way some of us can help let us know or do what you have to. Both SacredWiki and Dark sites are awesome I'd hate to lose them.

This particular situation has reared it's ugly head elsewhere.

If the users /members who use the site, genuinely like the place they play in, a post referring to a particular donation site might be in order.

Once posted, the member influx might be as such, as to have the no ad's thing in place.

Worked elsewhere. I cannot see why it would not work on this fantastic site.

Just my opinion.

Jet

I think this is a great site and really the ads don't bother me, we're pretty used to seeing ads online. There may come a time when there will be less traffic for these sites & we would like to keep them going as long as possible, so now while we've got so many page views, I think we should put more ads in (especially if its pay per page view? or pay per month?) which would allow us to save for later and keep the site going.

Edited by ka243

They're fine.

Doesn't really bother me, unless perhaps there's any chance you could change the set here on Darkmatters?

it's just that some of them are rather tasteless (evony and imvu)

Actually, I'll echo the others, I'd rather donate.

Edited by fRACTAL

First time I have seen them on this forum, they started to appear about 6 hours ago.

Doesn't bother me as long as this site and the Wiki gets the cash they need to stay in business :D

Heya,

BAH! I clicked the EVONY add... next thing I know I´m over an hour into building a medieval city! :bounce:

No more clicking adds for me.... they distract me from my true goal! Sacred :viking:

Greetz

Heya,

BAH! I clicked the EVONY add... next thing I know I´m over an hour into building a medieval city! :paladin:

No more clicking adds for me.... they distract me from my true goal! Sacred :whistle:

Greetz

LOLZ u rly need addblocker!

It would be nice if the adds on the forum site would be at the right side instead of left, on my widescreen it really makes a difference!

Pretty please! :bounce:

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Edited by Chareos Rantras

Warrior Nation runs off donations but still needs ads to stay online, so donations are not always enough. Only their ads don't stand out as much as these do. Over there, there is a single banner on the home page and then text ads at the top of the thread list pages. The ones on this site, though, blink in all kinds of colors that clash with the forum's color scheme, and they're in the conspicuous form of a large vertical banner at the top left of every page. In short, I don't like the ad placement here. Do you get more money from more eye-catching ads?

Warrior Nation also has its Cafe Press shop that prints Warrior Nation logos on a bunch of different products and sells them for extra revenue for the clan. Maybe D.a.r.k Matters could profit from one as well?

Edited by Lucalain
Warrior Nation also has its Cafe Press shop that prints Warrior Nation logos on a bunch of different products and sells them for extra revenue for the clan. Maybe D.a.r.k Matters could profit from one as well?

With the cost of the products, not really.

With the cost of the products, not really.

I think I'd like a sign for my yard.

There are sites like www.redbubble.com which allow you to create Tshirts for free. The creator of the shirts (in this case FDM) get's a percentage on top of production costs. It works out to be roughly US$20-25/shirt + shipping to buy.

You get a shirt, Dark Matters gets $5. Much better ROI than google ads when you have a committed community.

Thanks guys for the patience for this. We're not the best with this kind of stuff, and we're slowly moving along feeling our way trying to get a handle on everything.

We're looking at different options for money for site costs for DarkMatters and Sacred Wiki, lol, we still haven't figgered out how to get ads on the wiki, but hopefully before the grass is green again, we'll have some success :crazy:

Member contributions with our own little twist is coming up soon, which we think you`ll all reallly like as well. Thanks to everyone awho has expressed interest in wanting to help with that, course for our own style we want to do something cool and distinct :)

We've been working for a while on a privacy policy for the sites, and you can get to them here for now until we build better links/pages for it, and there is even a way to opt out of google's cookies system being used for the ads.

Cheers!

:)

gogo