Buying/building a new PC

Knuckles

Yup the signs are all the same :P Would have been cool if there were different 'words' on them.

The ASUS board came with an OC LCD display though I haven't played with it yet. Never OC'd anything and still have the stock cpu cooler right now for another week or so. I think I can set it up to display those readings you want but will need to read up a bit on it.

Been on-line for a little bit though the holidays have limited my playing time. Right now the game is freezing/closing on me within 30 mins of playing. So I gotta figure that out also.

@stubbie: When it all works it's awesome. I was soooooo nervous putting this all together. So many wires and descriptions I had no clue about. Took about 15-20 hours total to build. Messed up a few times as far as the order in which to mount things. The last was the worst. I had forgotten to put the cover plate on the rear panel for all the external connections from the mobo. But in order to put it on I basically had to disassemble the entire pc. I was soo worried I would break something. Just putting the cpu on the mobo had me breaking out in a sweat. I was so worried I had put it in wrong since it does take a lot of pressure to lock down and had read so many horror stories about bending the pins.

I still need to update drivers, add the thermal probes, add another fan (just cuz it'll look cool on the clear side panel) and get my multi-card reader working. Still need to get the right cpu cooler-man that thing is huge. But it will fit inside if the other one a mistakenly got is the same size as the one I need (ordered one for a LGA775 socket but need a LGA1336 one). Not sure how I messed that up.

Normally I put the pc under the desk but this just too cool to have hidden down there. Plus it's super quiet. Even with all fans on high I barely notice it.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had forgotten to put the cover plate on the rear panel for all the external connections from the mobo. But in order to put it on I basically had to disassemble the entire pc. I was soo worried I would break something. Just putting the cpu on the mobo had me breaking out in a sweat. I was so worried I had put it in wrong since it does take a lot of pressure to lock down and had read so many horror stories about bending the pins.

lol, I know exactly how yah feel and even after several cpu installs I still worry about it. It's just wrong how much pressure we have to apply to get those suckers in place. Yeesh. Oh and I did the same thing on my last pc build. I put it together about 3/4 of a year ago and it hasn't had that face plate on it the whole time. I really don't feel like going through the hassle. ^^

Normally I put the pc under the desk but this just too cool to have hidden down there. Plus it's super quiet. Even with all fans on high I barely notice it.

For the longest time I always put my case on the floor but when I built my latest pc I decided to put it on my desk in the hopes of reducing the amount of dust buildup. Lemme tell you that there's a HUGE difference. I think I reduced dust buildup by about 80%. Much better on the desk. And yeah, lets us show off dem uber case lights and flashy design. :wow:

For the longest time I always put my case on the floor but when I built my latest pc I decided to put it on my desk in the hopes of reducing the amount of dust buildup. Lemme tell you that there's a HUGE difference. I think I reduced dust buildup by about 80%. Much better on the desk. And yeah, lets us show off dem uber case lights and flashy design. :wow:

I may have to consider putting up on the desk. get a lot of dust too. the new one is only 1 month old and I can see the dust on the cooler already through the vanity window.

Ty Schot :thumbsup:

Well I was wonderfully surprised and excited to see a little belated Xmas present from Santa at my door today. I got a disk with Elite Graphics on it and installed it immediately.

first at Goodyear Blimp zoom out altitude, I didn't notice much. but as I am zooming in. I notice the trees are not random shapes and colors made to look like a tree. but actual leaves and twigs and berries so shiny they reflect sunlight

sacred22010-01-0616-58-01-82.jpg

And on the desk are not generic books of "blah, so what" filler, but actual books and reading glasses. check out the Sacred logo. looked even better ingame.

sacred22010-01-0616-58-31-80.jpg

And to compare 2 settings. on with every slider on high with X16 AA and all. with default textures the outfits seem to be more painted on. And the tell tail convergence lines of the various parts of the body textures are almost impossible to see, unlike the artifact looking lines of before.

sacred22010-01-0615-46-12-27.jpg

And with elite GFX they look more like they are being worn

sacred22010-01-0615-45-50-95.jpg

Interesting thing. I got on a server on closed net later and my system gave me the first 3 crashes I have had in over a week. I selected default graphics and the crashes stopped. :)

I hope it was a coincidence and the crashes were server related. cause dang those textures look good. the pictures don't do it justice. the live screen I sit here looking at is way better than Fraps screen shots.