I can't wait !!!

Well as most of you know, this year hasn't been the greatest health-wise for me. Actually the last 3-4 years haven't been kind. Ever since the car accident back in Feb '05 I have been dealing with major back issues. And now this year I have had a couple health scares. Since Feb '05 I may have worked a total of about 15 months. While my back will never be 100% healthy (the backside of my right leg will be permanently numb/deadened sensations) I've got to a point now where I basically can function normally.

There won't be any road races or football games in my future (unless I'm a spectator) but otherwise I'm o.k. The health issues have either been resolved or treated with medications. And one treatment ends in Jan and the other in May. Will be on pain medication for back/leg for rest of my life but it's really not bad. I have bad days and good days but the meds are pretty good with dealing with that.

Sooooo, after being out of work for so long and not really working for 4+ years I finally got clearance to go back to work. This is like early Christmas for me. I know most people dread going back to work on Mondays and would rather have 2 day work weeks and 5 day weekends but I can't wait. I've done a lot of designing from home and conference calls but to go out and re-acquaint myself with all the customers, and in some cases good friends, is going to be awesome. I feel like a little kid counting down the days til I open presents.

Have to say I have the absolute best boss in the world. I cannot ever express how good this guy has been to me. We are a small company (only 10 people) so when one of us is out, it is hard for us to cover/replace that person. Typically if a co-worker was going to be out for more than a month we would be looking for a replacement. Been waiting for my boss to say this to me for 4 years. He once told me my job was of critical importance. At first I misunderstood what he said. I took it as a compliment, but he meant that if I was ever away from work for an extended amount of time he would have no choice but to replace me.

For some reason he never did. I've been there for 15 years now. But kept waiting for the phone call saying I was being replaced. I know he had to of turned away a lot of work the last few years and I dread thinking what that cost him. But his faith in me absolutely humbles me. I feel so undeserving of it. I know I've been a good employee, almost like a mini-boss (Sacred 2 reference lol) and we've been thru some hard times before, but still can't believe he waited for me to get thru all of this.

So when I say I cannot wait to get back to work I mean it. Just to get 'a little dirt under the fingernails' again and feel productive will be such wonderful therapy for myself. That and to prove to my boss his faith in me was well placed. I see a lot of long days coming up. I know I have to pace myself but I doubt I will lol. Always been a hard worker. My dad taught the value of a job well done and that my reputation was stamped on everything I do. He always said if you're going to do something 'Do it once, do it right, and do it on-time". Think I will be doing a lot of that for the next several months.

Still get goosebumps when I think of this Monday. Been a long time coming :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. At long last Knuckles. No doubt that getting back to work is going to do wonders for you on several levels. Seriously though? Monday morning workday a gift?! Bah. I'm going to remember you said that for the rest of your days, lol. :drunkards:

It's a shame that you'll have to take pain killers the rest of your life. With all that you've had to deal with it seems unfair. Fate can be such a heartless dealer. Still, I'm glad you're finally reaching a point where you can start enjoying life again Robb. I can see why your boss would hold a position for so long for you. You deserve it. :drinks:

Man, this is good!! I hope you have a fun time and you get to enjoy the normal working hours again, coffee in hand ^^ (or tea, you choose!).

I'll take use of the moment to thank you again for helping me out yesterday, posted some screenies of the carnage in the Time to play thread ^^.

Now you get yourself ready & SUIT up! (Barney style ^^)

cheers!

Chareos Rantras

Robb, you must just feel great right now. I was, I think, where you are now a few years back. I was really sick for almost a year, couldn't go to work, and was being tended to by family who had to bring me food and all... felt so helpless. But it was my awesome sauce cousin who kept saying over every time he'd come over to visit. Every day less pain, and you'll feel better. Don't know why, but for some reason that suck in my head as a kind of resonance...in fact it got to be a mantra I'd chant over and over with that last few minutes before having to get to the nirvanna of a pain pill.

It was actually one day that it "clicked" ... I was better, I was excited and most importantly, ready for work! My return was delightful, I got to meet up with all my old friends and most importantly, I felt like I had regained some of the control in my life I felt I had lost to illness.

You love your boss... bonusness for you!

Good luck my friend, even work, yes, it's horrible at times, is something we treasure when we don't have.

Cheers and welcome back to work force!

+++

:oooo:

gogo

Taking meds really isn't so bad. It's amazing what you will get used to. I remember in the Navy when I was working a '24/24' schedule. That's 24 hours on duty, 24 hours off. And for that 24 you had to stay awake and on duty. 1st week was brutal but after a month or so I could have done 48 hours straight if I had needed to.

I think the dangerous part was I was getting used to doing nothing. I think gogo can relate to that. Being bed-ridden and having everyone else doing everything for you. At first you hate it, then you become resigned to the situation, then accept it, then expect it. It becomes a routine after a while and you forget what it used to be like. So for me Monday is like my 'coming out' party. I finally go back to being the old me. I could have stayed out of work indefinitely. I have at least 3 docs that would have signed off on just about anything. With the strides and progress made in medicine, the spinal cord is really still a mystery to them. I could have said my back pain was too much and voila, another year off.

But there one reason that I will never do that, and that would be my daughter. I'm a single dad and I've been basically inactive since she was 6. She only remembers me as the 'bad back dad'. We've missed out on doing so many things. She's gone on vacations with her aunts and beach weekends with her grandparents but hasn't done much with me. And that kills me. And she hasn't complained a bit. For such a young child to understand my limitations is amazing. Even bowling or mini-golf was beyond me. I would get 3 or 4 of her friends and they would go play while I 'chaperoned'.

Which is why I say Monday will be such great therapy for me. To be active again, just to do something will do a lot for my self confidence. My back has finally stabilized. Have had no shooting pains since the last surgery. I cannot adequately describe them. But I would lose all control of my right leg. If I happened to be standing, I would fall, and if I was on a staircase, well, it was worse. If I was driving and you were the passenger and it happened, you would beg and plead for me to let you drive (as several people have done). So while the threat of these shooting pains were there, there was no way I could work.

I typically drive about 50-400 miles a week for work and no way my boss or docs would clear me until that problem was resolved. I could have grabbed another worker and had him chauffeur me around. But like I said we're a small company and tying up 2 people for a one-person job isn't very practical.

I was close to returning back in late September, but then had a couple health setbacks. That's basically all taken care of now. I just cannot describe the feeling I have about Monday. I feel like I'm getting the 'Old Robb' back. Like part of me has been missing for several years. Actually it's the first baby step out of many I need to take, but I think it's the most important one since it's the first step.

All the other baby steps are playing catch with my daughter, taking long walks with the dog, going sledding, playing goalie (my daughter is a budding soccer star), going on carnival rides, playing mini-golf, maybe at some point skiing and white water rafting again, or playing in a league softball or volleyball team. So many things I want to do again. Just got to remember 'baby steps'.

And even if I'm sore as hell come Monday night it will be a most welcoming feeling. A weird reward for a full day of work. Something I haven't done in a long time.

Just realized I'm writing another book :D Guess I am more passionate about this than I thought as I usually don't bare my soul for all to read. But talking about this and getting it off my chest is just another baby step I think :)

@Schot and gogo....Yup I got a great boss. He could have easily replaced me but I guess he sees something in me. Kind of like you two :) Haven't been much of a mod lately either and you could have easily replaced me also, but you didn't. And I'm humbled that you thought enough of me and cared enough for me that you waited until I resolved my real life problems to be able to return. Says a lot about your character and your heart and about why Dark Matters is such a great place to be and be part of :)

So far so good :)

Worked 10 hours yesterday and today with no side effects other than exhaustion. Got a 12-14 hour day lined up for tomorrow. So much for pacing myself. Tried playing last night and entered a game Loco was playing in. Think I managed to get a few levels before I promptly fell asleep :) So if you were talking to me and I didn't respond, I'm sorry Loco :)

Woke up with one heck of a stiff neck though. Nothing like sleeping in a chair for about 6 hours with your head hanging off to one side lol.

I knew I had a lot of catching up to do but didn't realize how much. Boss delayed several big projects and now that I'm back they all got thrown on my desk at once. So even though this is my first week back working in close to forever, I'm already working this Saturday and at least the next 3-4. So I'm looking at 60 hour weeks minimum for at least a month or two. And of course the first week back wouldn't be complete without a mountain involved. Which is my tomorrow job. I get to go to Mount Wachusett :)

I'm already missing the soaps and bon-bons :)

So the only 'safe' day I can do camp running for a bit will be on Sundays.

Glad to hear that things are finally looking up for you!

Busy busy... I imagine it is great to be back in the saddle again.

You know, we don't get to deal the hand, we just get to play it. All we can do it our best... and it sounds like you're a real go-getter who aims for the stars... and reaches 'em!

Good on you!

Well 1st week back to work completed with no major issues. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it easy and limit myself, but I wasn't expecting to put in 6 days and 72 hours either :)

Next week should be similar. 6 days scheduled including an over-night on Tuesday. If nothing else the extra money will come in handy for Xmas lol.

Taking meds really isn't so bad. It's amazing what you will get used to. I remember in the Navy when I was working a '24/24' schedule. That's 24 hours on duty, 24 hours off. And for that 24 you had to stay awake and on duty. 1st week was brutal but after a month or so I could have done 48 hours straight if I had needed to.

I think the dangerous part was I was getting used to doing nothing. I think gogo can relate to that. Being bed-ridden and having everyone else doing everything for you. At first you hate it, then you become resigned to the situation, then accept it, then expect it. It becomes a routine after a while and you forget what it used to be like. So for me Monday is like my 'coming out' party. I finally go back to being the old me. I could have stayed out of work indefinitely. I have at least 3 docs that would have signed off on just about anything. With the strides and progress made in medicine, the spinal cord is really still a mystery to them. I could have said my back pain was too much and voila, another year off.

But there one reason that I will never do that, and that would be my daughter. I'm a single dad and I've been basically inactive since she was 6. She only remembers me as the 'bad back dad'. We've missed out on doing so many things. She's gone on vacations with her aunts and beach weekends with her grandparents but hasn't done much with me. And that kills me. And she hasn't complained a bit. For such a young child to understand my limitations is amazing. Even bowling or mini-golf was beyond me. I would get 3 or 4 of her friends and they would go play while I 'chaperoned'.

Which is why I say Monday will be such great therapy for me. To be active again, just to do something will do a lot for my self confidence. My back has finally stabilized. Have had no shooting pains since the last surgery. I cannot adequately describe them. But I would lose all control of my right leg. If I happened to be standing, I would fall, and if I was on a staircase, well, it was worse. If I was driving and you were the passenger and it happened, you would beg and plead for me to let you drive (as several people have done). So while the threat of these shooting pains were there, there was no way I could work.

I typically drive about 50-400 miles a week for work and no way my boss or docs would clear me until that problem was resolved. I could have grabbed another worker and had him chauffeur me around. But like I said we're a small company and tying up 2 people for a one-person job isn't very practical.

I was close to returning back in late September, but then had a couple health setbacks. That's basically all taken care of now. I just cannot describe the feeling I have about Monday. I feel like I'm getting the 'Old Robb' back. Like part of me has been missing for several years. Actually it's the first baby step out of many I need to take, but I think it's the most important one since it's the first step.

All the other baby steps are playing catch with my daughter, taking long walks with the dog, going sledding, playing goalie (my daughter is a budding soccer star), going on carnival rides, playing mini-golf, maybe at some point skiing and white water rafting again, or playing in a league softball or volleyball team. So many things I want to do again. Just got to remember 'baby steps'.

And even if I'm sore as hell come Monday night it will be a most welcoming feeling. A weird reward for a full day of work. Something I haven't done in a long time.

Just realized I'm writing another book :) Guess I am more passionate about this than I thought as I usually don't bare my soul for all to read. But talking about this and getting it off my chest is just another baby step I think :)

@Schot and gogo....Yup I got a great boss. He could have easily replaced me but I guess he sees something in me. Kind of like you two :) Haven't been much of a mod lately either and you could have easily replaced me also, but you didn't. And I'm humbled that you thought enough of me and cared enough for me that you waited until I resolved my real life problems to be able to return. Says a lot about your character and your heart and about why Dark Matters is such a great place to be and be part of :)

Well 1st week back to work completed with no major issues. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it easy and limit myself, but I wasn't expecting to put in 6 days and 72 hours either :)

Next week should be similar. 6 days scheduled including an over-night on Tuesday. If nothing else the extra money will come in handy for Xmas lol.

Dude! You gotta take it easy Robb. Good god. I'm really happy that you're back in action but you really really really gotta pace yourself still. See that bolded bit above? Baby steps remember. Baaaaaaaby steps. :)

It's hard to imagine having to take meds day in and out but I guess it's like you say. You get used to it after a while. That and, again as you said, it's just as easy to get used to doing nothing. I've been there and indulged in it more than I should. I think everyone goes there at least once in their lives be it a matter of physical health or not. It's funny becuase I'm going through a simialar transition/transformation since I quit smoking recently. Compared to my present "non-smoker self" I was a complete lazy slob when I was smoking. I do SO much more now that I don't smoke. Overcoming an ailment, self inflicted or not, can change a person quite dramatically I think.

P.s.

I get it when you wrote 'getting the 'Old Robb' back.' Feels good eh. Welcome back. :)

Well 1st week back to work completed with no major issues. I knew I wouldn't be able to take it easy and limit myself, but I wasn't expecting to put in 6 days and 72 hours either :(

Beautiful!

Don't go nutz on the come back ...take it easy, roll into it. Make sure you find a "scheduelle" that your body likes, and more importantly it sets.

yeah, the money is great, but isn't just being active awesome?

Gym's calling soon!

:(

gogo

@ Schot.....just imagine if I didn't smoke...would have put in 100 hours lol. I was like a starving man at an 'all you can eat' buffet last week.

@dreet....I wear many hats..I work for a small company so I have to fill several rolls, including taking out my own trash lol. Basically I'm an Electronics Technician. I design, repair, maintain and install communications systems. From antenna towers to control stations to mobiles (vehicles). Think police/fire dept radio systems and you get a fair idea what I do. I also design computer programs that interact with the communication equipment.

But I also do sooo many other things. I also do remote comms for water tanks, liquid storage, area security...the list goes on and on. If it has electronics in it, I've probably done some work with it at some point.

I even do a lot of work for the local nuclear plant. I presently maintain all the equipment at their Simulator (complete functional mock-up of the actual control room). Just got done installing an audio system for them (remote microphones/mixer/recorder) and will be putting in a camera system soon.

@gogo......Nooooooooooo no no gym lol. Gotta stop smoking first. Only time I take a break during the day is going outside to have a smoke :( Don't even eat lunch when I'm working. Sometimes the first meal of the day is around 9pm. Not healthy....I know. Probably why I'm single. One less voice telling me to eat right :(

If not gym, maybe team sport? I've been getting a bit bored lately when getting home from work. Getting home and just loafing in front of the computer like I used to do just doesn't seem to be the same without a smoke.

I do love team sports, and was thinking that maybe for this winter some indoor ball-hockey would be good to raise blood temp.

:(

gogo

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to play most team sports. Just too much stress on my back. Even softball would probably be too much. I used to be one heckuva dart player but even the twisting motion just from throwing a dart was too painful, though I haven't tried in several months.

I would have to find something that is low impact, low stress. Maybe something like 'speed quilting' lol

Oh boy, as the old saying goes "be careful what you wish for", and yes Schot you can tell me 'I told you so' :)

2nd week was only 65 hours, felt more like 90. Definitely got exhausted by weeks end. I was on fumes for Friday and Saturday. I'm a night owl normally but have been going to bed every day by 9pm. Hopefully my stamina will increase as the weeks go by. Luckily Christmas is coming and we typically slow down for a few weeks, least I hope we do :xmastree:

and on that note....5 minutes til bedtime...goodnight all :D

I remember seeing this thread a week ago, I was reading it awe, someone was looking forward to work, was happy about working more hours in a week than there is (well, not really but.. yeah) but now it seems you are converting back to normal :xmastree: im happy for you though :D you have a nice boss and you are back in work ^__^

• 3 weeks later...

Schot I know you haven't said 'I told you so' yet but I give you permission to say it, oh.........a couple hundred times or so

I've mentioned before that we are a small company, only 10 of us, and how hard it is when one of us is out for an extended period. Well for the last few weeks my boss has been like the wife I never wanted. Always asking how I'm feeling, how's the back, how am I holding up etc. Been telling him I'm doing fine other than a little fatigue. I honestly thought he was solely concerned about how I was dealing with being back to work. Little did I know he had other reasons for asking so often.

Well, today I found out. Seems our installer hasn't been totally honest and was fired today. He was basically stealing from the company. So now, not only do I have my own backlog of work to deal with, but have to do all his work too. I'm gonna be swamped for a loooong time :)

Just hiring and training a new person will take months. And that's if the new hire works out. Best case scenario is hiring someone tomorrow, and maybe I can send him out on his own in 6 months. More than likely it'll take a year.

As the saying goes, be careful what you wish for !

Had to add a few more thoughts on this. I really can't believe how stupid this guy was/is. Still in a bit of a recession here and job opportunities are scarce. I have no idea what this guy was thinking. We already told him we would fight him if he went for unemployment compensation. We have proof of his stealing gas (via company credit card) and fudging hours on his time card. One instance was he punched out at 4:06 pm one day but used the company gas card to fill up a vehicle at 4:30 (his work van was at the shop).

Another was we were out at Mt Wachusetts, about 2 hours from our shop, and he said he had to leave at 3pm to get home in time to watch his son (wife works evenings). He leaves at 3, the boss and I leave at 4. We get back to the shop at 6pm and he's not there. He shows up 30 minutes later. 90 minutes unaccounted for.

These are just 2 examples, got dozens more. I'm pretty piffed at him. He doubled my workload and now I have to do mobile installs. Something I've rarely done the last 6 years (unless he was out sick or on vacation). Sure my back is going to love doing these. Got a new kid coming in on a 2 week trial basis. Mostly to do the grunt work/heavy lifting I'm not supposed to do. This way I can see if he's motivated, has any initiative, willing to work odd hours etc. He knows he's coming in to do grunt work and if he shows any electronic or mechanical aptitude we'll take him on full time. Hope he works out. Still take 6 months before sending him solo for routine stuff.

Just hope he has more initiative and complains less than the last guy. I like him personally but working with him got my blood boiling sometimes.

I'll never understand stealing from the place that hired you. You never bite the hand that feeds you. Unfortunately I think he is going to learn that lesson the hard way :D

Had to add a few more thoughts on this. I really can't believe how stupid this guy was/is. Still in a bit of a recession here and job opportunities are scarce. I have no idea what this guy was thinking. We already told him we would fight him if he went for unemployment compensation. We have proof of his stealing gas (via company credit card) and fudging hours on his time card. One instance was he punched out at 4:06 pm one day but used the company gas card to fill up a vehicle at 4:30 (his work van was at the shop).

Another was we were out at Mt Wachusetts, about 2 hours from our shop, and he said he had to leave at 3pm to get home in time to watch his son (wife works evenings). He leaves at 3, the boss and I leave at 4. We get back to the shop at 6pm and he's not there. He shows up 30 minutes later. 90 minutes unaccounted for.

These are just 2 examples, got dozens more. I'm pretty piffed at him. He doubled my workload and now I have to do mobile installs. Something I've rarely done the last 6 years (unless he was out sick or on vacation). Sure my back is going to love doing these. Got a new kid coming in on a 2 week trial basis. Mostly to do the grunt work/heavy lifting I'm not supposed to do. This way I can see if he's motivated, has any initiative, willing to work odd hours etc. He knows he's coming in to do grunt work and if he shows any electronic or mechanical aptitude we'll take him on full time. Hope he works out. Still take 6 months before sending him solo for routine stuff.

Just hope he has more initiative and complains less than the last guy. I like him personally but working with him got my blood boiling sometimes.

I'll never understand stealing from the place that hired you. You never bite the hand that feeds you. Unfortunately I think he is going to learn that lesson the hard way :D

In all seriousness, if this new kid doesn't cut it. give me a call. I am free (time not money) and that type of work is right up my alley. from doing car stereo installs as a teen/young adult to my mechanics/electronics experience. call me anytime Maverick, Ill come fly with ya!