I can't wait !!!

What do you think of UWR Knuckles? Do you have such sports where you are? Seems good therapy if you can swim underwater.

Chattius makes difficult reading after a meal. I have a feeling he puts his eyeballs in a glass of water by the bed at nights. That eye surgery is frightening. He makes it sound so every-day. And he doesn't appear to wear eye protection on that tandem of his.

Why is it called "rugby" Chattius? At first sight it seems to have no ressemblance to rugby.

Edited by Bondbug
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been around for a bit, but thought I would drop a line just to let you all know I'm still alive...

Having a rough time right now....work is basically draining all the energy I have....between work and the meds and my health, all I do is work then immediately go to bed...feel bad for my daughter as we haven't hung out much at all lately...she understands and tries to help out as much as possible though...I ended up getting one heckuva daughter :)

Hopefully on or about May 21st I'll stop taking the majority of the medication I presently take, and more hopefully all the side effects they cause will also go away...if work gets any harder I'll probably take the whole month of May off...still grinding out 60-70+ hour weeks and I know that isn't helping me at all.

So I'm still looking at a few weeks where I won't be active yet...but by the end of May I plan to be back in full force driving Schot crazy and have the rest of you shaking your heads :)

Plus I still got the Bestiary I want to finish...

p.s. Loco I know you pm'd me about something but can't find the message...could you resend please?

Np Knuckles, I was asking about how you installed your Win XP 64 in a dual boot. then I got to wondering if you were still with us, and Well... glad to here the meds will be done soon. That's gotta be tough on your daughter to be alone all the time. When you have time to rest I bet she would enjoy just sitting on the couch watching a movie with you.

@bondbug.....we're all family here.....feel free to butt in at any time :)

I don't really have to work...I was semi-retired a few years ago....my investments have taken quite a hit lately though in this economy...problem is I like working, even the crazy hours...only prob is my body doesn't like them too much at all..it's hard to explain, but it's not like I'm exhausted working 70 hours - it's that my body seems to just shut itself down..I have to will myself to finish some days...it's like my body goes on strike and refuses to do anything my brain tells it too.

I know most of it is the meds, some of it is the condition my back is in, and a little of it is that I guess I'm getting old lol.

I've done some pool therapy as I my back could never take the pounding from running/biking but really don't have time to do much of it...what time I have outside of work is concentrated on hanging out with the kiddo...even that date I finally went on took a month before actually happening and might be another month before the 2nd date happens :)

I'll try to be around a bit more, but won't be back in full force for at least another month

@ loco doing the Win 7/ XP dual boot was super easy...found a guide on the internet and followed it exactly, had absolutely no probs....best thing is is if vista or win 7 is already installed you don't have to reformat and when you repartition you won't lose any data....I'll try and find the website tonight

Back!

Just in time for...

this

You could come to Montreal and help us build Snowman...or just sit close by here at a local pub, with beer and fries.

Wonderful seeing you back, keep the snow next time!

:)

• 1 month later...

Well everything came crashing down on me a few weeks ago. Ended up in the hospital for a week even though I had been in and out several times thru the year. I really haven't explained what has been going on since I didn't know how it was going to end and I didn't want everyone worrying about me.

Back around September I was just coming off another surgery to my back and went in to have some tests done. During the testing I was found to have a dormant form of Tuberculosis. So the next thing I know I have 9 months worth of pills to take to deal with that. They really tax the liver, so in a weird way all my prior back surgeries helped me out there. One, it would have never been caught and 2, I stopped drinking while on pain meds. So my liver was much healthier than it would have been otherwise. Since I was over 35 (their threshold for taking the drugs) I had to be constantly monitored in case my liver tried to stop making some enzymes and shut down.

As I was dealing with that and having tests done they also found some lung cancer.I was devastated, cancer is one word I never ever want to hear. Luckily it was found very early and my prognosis was good but I had to add chemo on top of everything else.

Well December comes and I get back to work. For the next several months I'm working 60-80 hour weeks. I was barely getting thru it all. After 2 months, chemo stops and I'm found to be cancer free, so I'm thinking the worst is over. Several check-ups find no signs of the cancer. But work continues at breakneck pace and still taking all these meds and my body started wearing down.

Starting getting Peripheral Edema (swelling of the legs) and extreme exhaustion. At first it meant a few overnights at the hospital to monitor it when it got bad, but then it was always bad and last week was admitted into the hospital. Seems my body/liver just couldn't take it anymore and was trying to shut down. During the stay I was finally able to finish all the TB meds and get everything stabilized. After 9 months I'm finally done with those horrible little pills. I always felt like someone had sucker punched me in the gut after taking one. My doc was amazed I stuck thru the whole 9 months, But as I said 'What choice did I really have?'

So anyways, I'm back home and resting and trying to get my body back to normal. My body is a little out of whack now that all these meds are no longer in the system so I've been a bit sick and nauseous lately but have been assured it's normal. So it's back to crazy hours soon again. Might just pay more attention to what my body is trying to tell this time :thumpsup:

I should be much more involved with FDM and gaming pretty soon. Tried to play a little Saturday but I'm not quite ready for that. Just wanted to say thanks for all the support from the few that do know what I've been thru and all the others who've sent pm's or emails or posted inquiring about how I'm doing. I really appreciated the all the support and kind words.

I'm really happy to know that you now start to feel well.

Just like Schot, you've been having a crazy year, but like you said, the worst (cancer and meds) are behind you now. :crazy:

Just gotta be careful now when you get back to work :P

Max

• 2 months later...

Well all the nausea and exhaustion wasn't normal :)

Since that last post the cancer has reared it's ugly head again and I'm now back into a more aggressive chemo treatment. I rarely have enough strength to hang out on-line though lately I've been a little better. The prognosis is still positive and if nothing else all these hospital visits have finally broken my habit of smoking. Hard to sneak out for a smoke with 15 nurses running interference. Plus they're quicker than me right now. Even had one offer me some chinese food (kind of an inside joke with me and the nurses). I'm home now though chemo is 3 times a week. I really do want a smoke though but relatives have my keys (they really do know me too well) and it's just too far to walk. I was going to bribe the neighbors kid but I think I'll get in trouble for that. It's awful getting that look and sermon from loved ones, especially when you're bed ridden...can't get away and have to listen to whole thing lol

Over all I'm doing pretty good considering the circumstances. Chemo should last another 6 weeks and then we'll see. Like I said prognosis is positive and all the docs seem to agree that eventually I'll be cancer free. The biggest thing on my side was it was found very early and hadn't spread anywhere else. From what I understand the more localized the easier it is to treat.

So anyways....will still be a stranger for a while. Especially during the week. Only day I feel normal is Sunday..it's Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dread. Plus I feel the overwhelming need to give Schot some grief. Been letting him slide for way too long :)

Take care all and talk to ya soon

Hang in there Brother. I quit smoking back in April and its actually been great. I can breath again, don't cough anymore, and the smells! Heck look at it this way, once your sense of smell comes back the nurses perfume will be even better and you won't be thinking of having a smoke!

Hang in there Brother. I quit smoking back in April and its actually been great. I can breath again, don't cough anymore, and the smells! Heck look at it this way, once your sense of smell comes back the nurses perfume will be even better and you won't be thinking of having a smoke!

Theres always a positive. But yeah, all the best to you Knuckles, stay strong, and just think of when its all over and you'll be able to sit down and relax, a new man. It will all just be a memory then.

Well all the nausea and exhaustion wasn't normal :)

Since that last post the cancer has reared it's ugly head again and I'm now back into a more aggressive chemo treatment. I rarely have enough strength to hang out on-line though lately I've been a little better. The prognosis is still positive and if nothing else all these hospital visits have finally broken my habit of smoking. Hard to sneak out for a smoke with 15 nurses running interference. Plus they're quicker than me right now. Even had one offer me some chinese food (kind of an inside joke with me and the nurses). I'm home now though chemo is 3 times a week. I really do want a smoke though but relatives have my keys (they really do know me too well) and it's just too far to walk. I was going to bribe the neighbors kid but I think I'll get in trouble for that. It's awful getting that look and sermon from loved ones, especially when you're bed ridden...can't get away and have to listen to whole thing lol

Over all I'm doing pretty good considering the circumstances. Chemo should last another 6 weeks and then we'll see. Like I said prognosis is positive and all the docs seem to agree that eventually I'll be cancer free. The biggest thing on my side was it was found very early and hadn't spread anywhere else. From what I understand the more localized the easier it is to treat.

So anyways....will still be a stranger for a while. Especially during the week. Only day I feel normal is Sunday..it's Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dread. Plus I feel the overwhelming need to give Schot some grief. Been letting him slide for way too long :)

Argh, Knuckles. What a dreadful path you must tread. I think that I first got to know you oh so many years ago when you first began this struggle. Not many could endure what you have/are and maintain such great spirits. ESPECIALLY while being cut off of the Tabaccy. ^^

Be brave mah friend and know that you are thought of often. How can I not after all the trauma you've put me through. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Well all the nausea and exhaustion wasn't normal :pitcher:

So anyways....will still be a stranger for a while. Especially during the week. Only day I feel normal is Sunday..it's Monday, Wednesday and Friday I dread. Plus I feel the overwhelming need to give Schot some grief. Been letting him slide for way too long :drool:

Dude.

I saw a post of yours in another thread and did a search for your other posts and found this. I knew last fall they were treating you for the TB but hadn't seen about the cancer.

First off, I'm sorry if I ticked you off any w/ the fantasy football league... you just have to remember how I used to butt heads w/ CH and know that you simply were in that same type of role at that moment. So I'm sorry.

Secondly, if it's possible to have a best gaming friend, you're it. I'd give quite a bit to go back to the times that you, I and WistfulVacuity spent on S1, back when you were still the "one man clan". For living 1600 miles apart, you're the first person I'd pick for hanging w/ online... or in real life for that matter. As many hours as we spent online together, I'll never play a game again that I won't stop and think "damn I need to tell Knuckles to get this so we can MP".... just like you did w/ TQ and I did w/Mythos.

So just know how much love and support you got comin' to you, man, because I'm literally in tears right now that you're having to fight this crap.

Keep us post on your progress. Looks like you've made some good friends in DM so I know I'll have plenty of help if we have to come kick your ass for not getting better soon.

MC for life.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Wow and thx 'teff :bounce:

what a long strange trip this has been....I have one more chemo session and I'm done ! After that it's cross my fingers and hope for the best on all the tests. Still a month or 2 away from going back to work full-time though I've spent a few hours a week doing stuff there through the summer. If all goes well I'll be on FDM a lot more frequently, though at this point I doubt I'll get back into Sacred 2. Was burnt out before and tried doing the Bestiary in the Wiki hoping to re-kindle my interest.

I could probably get the football league going again though 2 weeks have already gone by. Maybe I'll post and see if we can get at least 8 players (preferably 10) to play. Doubt I could get it set up before week 3 games but we'll see.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, everything is going well so far. Been going to the gym in the mornings and slowly getting my stamina back. Up to 20 miles on a stationary bike :) And starting to put the pounds back on. Lost about 35 pounds thru the whole ordeal. Haven't been this 'light' (if you can call 225 light) since high school.

Will be going back to work the first week of November barring any setbacks. And this time 'baby steps' is the mantra. Maybe even go out for a drink. I don't think I've had one drink so far this year :)

Well, everything is going well so far. Been going to the gym in the mornings and slowly getting my stamina back. Up to 20 miles on a stationary bike :) And starting to put the pounds back on. Lost about 35 pounds thru the whole ordeal. Haven't been this 'light' (if you can call 225 light) since high school.

Will be going back to work the first week of November barring any setbacks. And this time 'baby steps' is the mantra. Maybe even go out for a drink. I don't think I've had one drink so far this year :o

Beautiful! I'm ecstatic to see you bouncing around on the boards again Knuckles. Your posts, energy, Vim... and this good news... and yer figure *wolf whistle* :)

What kind of stuff do you have to watch...diet or anything? I know that stamina's a big deal when coming back from illness. Take your time, think strong, robust, and play play play!

gogo

I supposed to be on a limit - calorie wise but it's self regulated. No trans-fat, saturated fat or very sugary foods. My blood pressure is still a little high but that is just from lying in bed for a few months. When I said 20 miles on the bike, I meant for the whole week lol. No way I can do 20 in a day yet. Got a fat old Golden Retriever and we've been going out for 1-2 miles walks. Not sure which of us is more tired at the end. My dog is really very lazy.

I had been meaning to get a retriever puppy a few months ago before everything happened. Want my kiddo to have a puppy before she's too old to really see the magic between a puppy and a kid. Starting to look for one now.

Just good to be active again. I go absolutely crazy sitting/lying around and doing nothing. Basically torture for me. Got more check-ups scheduled til the end of the year but think I'm over it all this time.

Just good to be active again. I go absolutely crazy sitting/lying around and doing nothing. Basically torture for me. Got more check-ups scheduled til the end of the year but think I'm over it all this time.

I understand what you mean by this. A few months back, my blood sugar was kind of elevated, I had to really re-think what gaming and video time meant to me. It was so easy to just sit and spend hours just "sitting" without even thinking twice about it, and so easy to just fall into the game lull :) Getting used to not feeling comfy with an hour in the chair, and learning to love this mountain here in Montreal we live on was another game changer.

gogo

Goodness me Knuckles mate, you've really been through it. I'm so sorry that life has given you such a kicking. You put me to shame for moaning about my small injustices !

I wish you all the very best and hope that you bounce back big and strong my friend.

Best wishes,

Steve.