Voodoo Dryad (black magic woman)

heres the quick pick on skills that I chose for her...

1 Nature lore... dump all points in here 1st to fully mod ancient bark pick other skills after but do 9 here asap.

2. concentration.. obvious just 1 point here till after level 9

3 Tactics lore... only dump 5 points in here to acess dual wield.

4. voodoo focus.. sa soon as you get 5 points in nature lore pick this to get VD. modded asap

6. Nature Focus

7. E.P.

8. Bargaining

9. Combat reflexes <<<<<< you can do as I have in the past and bypass flexes and choose combat discipline here but you will not get armor lore best to get this only add 5 points here.

10. Armor lore<<<< If you dont choose combat flexes then add Ancient magic here but I would recomend doing both(CF and Armor Lore)

As shown in the video VD> works w/ it being modded just be patient and repeatedly cast vd so it becomes stronger main focus is gathering enough mobs so it spreads by itself w/o being modded.

All other mods and skills stay the same .... add some points in Willpower though w/ this build for later on in the game .

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A huge THANK YOU to KarruptedKat for the videos!

While deciding on which Dryads to play, I tested VD builds. From the explainations, etc that I had read, I thought you just cast VD on a dude, and 10 seconds later, millions of experience rolling up the screen. Definitely not the case! You still have to "work" the disease - gather mobs together for easier transmission, figure out routes to maximize enemies, etc. I was about 80% of the way to getting it to work, but I was missing the "patience" part. Eventually I would have 25-30 diseased mobs on-screen, and I would just stop and kill'em all. At least that way, I got the drops! :D

Do you suggest keeping VD in penalty levels, or low-level, or somewhere in between? Or is it important? (obv, low-level VD takes a lot longer to kill...)

Do you find the re-spawn rates in the swamp make it the 'best' place for long runs? Or do you keep changing areas every 1/2 hour or so?

While deciding on which Dryads to play, I tested VD builds. From the explainations, etc that I had read, I thought you just cast VD on a dude, and 10 seconds later, millions of experience rolling up the screen. Definitely not the case! You still have to "work" the disease - gather mobs together for easier transmission, figure out routes to maximize enemies, etc. I was about 80% of the way to getting it to work, but I was missing the "patience" part. Eventually I would have 25-30 diseased mobs on-screen, and I would just stop and kill'em all. At least that way, I got the drops! :D

Do you suggest keeping VD in penalty levels, or low-level, or somewhere in between? Or is it important? (obv, low-level VD takes a lot longer to kill...)

Do you find the re-spawn rates in the swamp make it the 'best' place for long runs? Or do you keep changing areas every 1/2 hour or so?

I never get vd to penalty levels at all because as you progress it automatically will do more damage since its damage is based on the mobs hp. also as you level you will be putting attribute points intom inteligence which will reduce there resistance to the disease which will make them die faster. I'll try and capture it on video on a good day. When I get 100's or so mobs die w/ in seconds of just casting Vd. I keep switching classes. So I will work on the Vid asap.

Id recomend only 10 runes read pre 100 after that max @ 20 but thats it no more no less.

Allright as far as leveling if you can deal with the bind you will love the swamp as much as I do. I absolutely recomend it over all other places because you get so much experience so fast. Also I'll tell you how to get a quick experience glitch. start at the top of the swamp region and gather up all the rodents then head to the most northern point located north east. From there all the mobs should be infected. Now travel due south none stop you will get 2 or three floods of experience that will come so fast it even will cut off your in game sound. hug the eastern wall as you head south as far as you can possibly go then head west. Then up and around as shown in the video you wwill get another flood as you reach the western tip of the lil fort just below hissai. be careful and no activate the Hissai letters on screen. I love the dessert as well but not even close to the experience advantage as the swamp. another good experience farm is in the dryad region on turtle island head south of the dryad region by way just past the rune master and you will end up at an island full of nothing but turtle mobs equip a montser head and you will get some of the highest fast experience there.

Edited by karruptedkat

While deciding on which Dryads to play, I tested VD builds. From the explainations, etc that I had read, I thought you just cast VD on a dude, and 10 seconds later, millions of experience rolling up the screen. Definitely not the case! You still have to "work" the disease - gather mobs together for easier transmission, figure out routes to maximize enemies, etc. I was about 80% of the way to getting it to work, but I was missing the "patience" part. Eventually I would have 25-30 diseased mobs on-screen, and I would just stop and kill'em all. At least that way, I got the drops! :tease:

I never get vd to penalty levels at all because as you progress it automatically will do more damage since its damage is based on the mobs hp. also as you level you will be putting attribute points intom inteligence which will reduce there resistance to the disease which will make them die faster. I'll try and capture it on video on a good day. When I get 100's or so mobs die w/ in seconds of just casting Vd. I keep switching classes. So I will work on the Vid asap.

Id recomend only 10 runes read pre 100 after that max @ 20 but thats it no more no less.

Allright as far as leveling if you can deal with the bind you will love the swamp as much as I do. I absolutely recomend it over all other places because you get so much experience so fast. Also I'll tell you how to get a quick experience glitch. start at the top of the swamp region and gather up all the rodents then head to the most northern point located north east. From there all the mobs should be infected. Now travel due south none stop you will get 2 or three floods of experience that will come so fast it even will cut off your in game sound. hug the eastern wall as you head south as far as you can possibly go then head west. Then up and around as shown in the video you wwill get another flood as you reach the western tip of the lil fort just below hissai. be careful and no activate the Hissai letters on screen. I love the dessert as well but not even close to the experience advantage as the swamp. another good experience farm is in the dryad region on turtle island head south of the dryad region by way just past the rune master and you will end up at an island full of nothing but turtle mobs equip a montser head and you will get some of the highest fast experience there.

Crap! I forgot about turtle island! Perfect.

Swamps I love as much as you, I think. Being rooted is Ok with me, it's only been annoying when I DON'T want to kill things!

I assume if I get to close to the town and the letters come up on screen, PS3 will crash from "information overload"? If not, why the warning?

Compared to swamp, I don't like the desert for levelling. In a general sense, not specifically for VD Dryad.

Yes seeing the town names kill the spread of the disease. It works like an house alarm not sure what the timing is but you have to get out really fast before this happens. my 2nd Fav spot to spread some love is Grumwald w/ a human head. Then the orc territory w/ a((((((((where my mind went blank on the shrunken head type)))). Goblinoid I thinks it is.

Yeah thats the downside to the bind w/o lifting a finger Ancient bark+ Vd will kill the mobs your trying to kepp alive so they can spread the disease. (Thats an odd statement but voodoo dryads understand it lol)

Yes seeing the town names kill the spread of the disease. It works like an house alarm not sure what the timing is but you have to get out really fast before this happens. my 2nd Fav spot to spread some love is Grumwald w/ a human head. Then the orc territory w/ a((((((((where my mind went blank on the shrunken head type)))). Goblinoid I thinks it is.

Yeah thats the downside to the bind w/o lifting a finger Ancient bark+ Vd will kill the mobs your trying to kepp alive so they can spread the disease. (Thats an odd statement but voodoo dryads understand it lol)

I understand!

Good to know the town name glitch/feature. Thanks!

Hey guys nice build there, I'm following the dual wield voodoo dryad one, I wonder about attributes + weapons to use with her :)

Welcome to Dark Matters, lynerau!

Attributes - You can't go wrong with putting points into Vitality! More HP = less chance of getting killed with the "golden bullet" (one-hit kill).

Weapons - earlier in the game, use the best you can find... keeping the best damage weapon in your "right hand". Using 2 staffs (and Acute Mind to increase your INT, and thus, your damage) doesn't really get too good before level 35-ish.

Happy hunting!

Hey guys.. I just bought this game Yesterday on the PS3 and I'm enjoying it much!

I started as a seraphim but decided to try a Dryad (which I'm loving).

Is this currently still a great build to use? (I'm afraid that patches may of fixed the "..The Dryad is probably one of the most over powered jobs in the game and very simple to use." )

Hey guys.. I just bought this game Yesterday on the PS3 and I'm enjoying it much!

Is this currently still a great build to use? (I'm afraid that patches may of fixed the "..The Dryad is probably one of the most over powered jobs in the game and very simple to use." )

Welcome to the boards, Medievalzeus!

Wow... KarruptedKat- your build looks like it quite popular! Another customer :)

Medievalzeus - KKat is a PS3 player, so this guide is mostly for the console "version". It is great if you are playing on PS3 or XBOX.

If you are on PC, and playing an updated version (Ice and Blood, Gold edition, etc) then there are a few things that will not work on your version.

Wow... KarruptedKat- your build looks like it quite popular! Another customer :)

Medievalzeus - KKat is a PS3 player, so this guide is mostly for the console "version". It is great if you are playing on PS3 or XBOX.

If you are on PC, and playing an updated version (Ice and Blood, Gold edition, etc) then there are a few things that will not work on your version.

I see. I saw an earlier post that stated that the "VD bug" was fixed on the PS3. Which is why I felt the need to ask.. because I believe this build is centered around VD?

Wow... KarruptedKat- your build looks like it quite popular! Another customer :D

I see. I saw an earlier post that stated that the "VD bug" was fixed on the PS3. Which is why I felt the need to ask.. because I believe this build is centered around VD?

Maybe. :)

VD can get you a lot of experience (by contaminating an entire region of monsters, then "waiting" for them to die of the disease)

But it won't get you past any bosses. (maybe...... :) )

Edited by essjayehm
An interesting concept.

As an experienced player.. would you recommend one Dryad build over another? I really want to play the Dryad as my main class.

I'm not too experienced with Dryads in particular. I think for a new player, stay with the ranged style of play to start. The Dryad has very good defense (Ancient Bark and Goldenglade Touch) so the melee version is not too bad either for learning the game mechanics, etc.

I would recommend not picking ranged or melee (swords/poles/Dual, etc) until level 18 (or even 25) and you have decided what direction you want to go.

My DW INT toon is pretty much jane-of-all-trades, having all 3 aspects. It's been handy for trying out all the neat stuff she can do. I did have to sacrifice defensive skills to get what I wanted. :lol: Part of the elegance of Sacred is that there really is no "right or wrong" - unless you're looking to finish Niob difficulty before level 80. Even then there's a few builds that can do it (Hardcore, ofc).

After reviewing this build I have a few questions (from an inexperienced player) regarding it..

1. Does this "glitch" still work on the Playstation 3?

2. I noticed two different builds in the thread, one on page 7 and the one on the first page. Which of these should I use as a base?

3. Speaking of base, starting off (say at level 5), is there much you can do with VD or does it take getting to a certain level to be able to use the spell to it's potential?

4. Nature Lore: On the guide it says to drop points in there until you can fully upgrade Ancient Bark, how many points does that take?

5. Voodoo Lore: Am I leaving this at base-9 for my entire playthrough?

6. I notice that in the build, some skills which are ranked higher in priority fall lower on the list. Is there any reason I should wait to get them if they are high priority?

7. How many times should I eat an Ancient Bark rune? Do I just eat as many as possible?

8. Speaking of eating runes, this is one thing I do not understand. Do skills benefit by lower levels?

9. This is one of the builds that adds no insight as to what level you should get each skill.. I see there are about 7 skills that are needed.. Could someone fill me in as to where these need to be?

... That's all I have for now. :lol:

Edit:

@essj, Thank you for your response! I think I'm going to try this build and just see what happens. Lol. :)

Edited by medievalzeus

My answers below in red

After reviewing this build I have a few questions (from an inexperienced player) regarding it..

1. Does this "glitch" still work on the Playstation 3?

yes

2. I noticed two different builds in the thread, one on page 7 and the one on the first page. Which of these should I use as a base?

With respect to KKat's guide, I prefer PurpleLizard's build. BUT KKat's build is for fast, fast, fast levelling a shopper. Lizards' is more of a playable character.

3. Speaking of base, starting off (say at level 5), is there much you can do with VD or does it take getting to a certain level to be able to use the spell to it's potential?

I don't think you need to worry about VD until you are at least level 9. You will need 9 points in Voodoo Focus and/or Lore to get all 3 mods on VD. AND THEN, you need shrunken heads....

4. Nature Lore: On the guide it says to drop points in there until you can fully upgrade Ancient Bark, how many points does that take?

Nine points.

5. Voodoo Lore: Am I leaving this at base-9 for my entire playthrough?

You can. If you end up liking using the tower, then you need a lot more points here. Otherwise, no need to put more. You can even replace this skill - just ensure that you take Voodoo Focus ASAP and get 9 points to modify VD ASAP.

6. I notice that in the build, some skills which are ranked higher in priority fall lower on the list. Is there any reason I should wait to get them if they are high priority?

See #9

7. How many times should I eat an Ancient Bark rune? Do I just eat as many as possible?

One to start. No real rule of thumb, since the equipment you wear will be pumping Combat Art's, etc. The rule of thumb is to ensure the Combat Art's you use have a "manageable" regeneration time. Since eating runes for buffs increase your Combat Art regen penalty, attention must be paid when eating them.

8. Speaking of eating runes, this is one thing I do not understand. Do skills benefit by lower levels?

When you memorize/eat a rune, it increases the level of the Combat Art, but also the regen. time it takes to use the Combat Art again.

9. This is one of the builds that adds no insight as to what level you should get each skill.. I see there are about 7 skills that are needed.. Could someone fill me in as to where these need to be?

Purple Lizard's order is a little better than KarruptedKat's (IMO) but could be tweaked a little. I prefer having Tactics Lore ASAP with every toon I've played (I don't play pure casters, tho).

... That's all I have for now. :lol:

Edit:

@essj, Thank you for your response! I think I'm going to try this build and just see what happens. Lol. :)

Yeah, no need to waste too much time thinking it out (yet). Get into the game, have a test/trial and re-roll the character if you don't like the skill order with your first toon. Trial and error have been my second-best friends (next to Dark Matters) for figuring this game out.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by essjayehm

So what is with everyone getting their run speed up? why not just use a mount? Why does your speed affect the spread effect? lol help this nooooob :yay: Because if mounts affect the disease negatively, then I wish I knew earlier :oooo:

So what is with everyone getting their run speed up? why not just use a mount? Why does your speed affect the spread effect? lol help this nooooob :yay: Because if mounts affect the disease negatively, then I wish I knew earlier :oooo:

In case your unaware mounts level rediculously fast like 3-4 lvls 2 your 1 therefore slowing down ALL regen times considerably. mounts are not very useful@ higher lvls so while you may cast faster mounted a few 1000 kills with VD will hurt your casting time who wants to keep Dis/re mounting

Thank you to all who answered question while on my leave... keeping our new members up to speed.

Also one question never asked especially by new or old. What exactly is Bargaining and why would I waste my time to build a character just for it? Imagine this you go to the store to by a pair of pants. All the store has to offer is a pair of jeans in blue. With Bargaining You get those pants for 50% off and not only are they there but 6 other pairs in different colors and Styles. Thats why you build this toon and why a shopper is important. For those who would like to be fair Id do this to play the game fairly. Build this build along side the character you wont to play/interested in playing. Level them both at the sametime and use your storage chect to shop for the other character.

yes this build still works very well even w/ all the patches. To be honest it doesnt do as well as it did when I first bought the game but its still nothing to overlook when it comes to making a character level very fast to help the other characters down the line. I.E thru (Bargaining)finding Rare items like amunlets and rings that cant be farmed off of boss/miniboss. I built that level 100 at the beggining using this guide and got to 100 in less then 20 hours. That was a month ago. the level one hundred from a month ago was more versitile in the aspect that she could kill bosses alot easier but as I got closer to 100 she started to take a beating due to the lack of defensesive bonus which you get from the shield Lore in the original build. With more time though that can easily be resolved thru time and shopping (adding in some vitality and dexterity)so up to you. No doubt do runspeed over mount. The original build of this character didnt even have a mount period. I had around150% runspeed so she was blazing fast and It seem to help the rush of experience that came through as well. That was before my final patch though.

Last point and the most valid of all the questions answered provided the best way to start this game would be read these post try it out for yourself then make the character tht you desire to play. There are no wrongs or rights not everyone wil ever play the same build the same. You could build this toon exactly like mine but if we played them together im 100% positive we wouldnt be doing the samethings at the same time. :yay:

Imo to start this game Dryad hands down is a great starter charcater no matter how you play her. Sword/dual,ranged or even polearm w/e she will always be powerful and fun to play.

Edited by karruptedkat
Thank you to all who answered question while on my leave... keeping our new members up to speed.

Also one question never asked especially by new or old. What exactly is Bargaining and why would I waste my time to build a character just for it? Imagine this you go to the store to by a pair of pants. All the store has to offer is a pair of jeans in blue. With Bargaining You get those pants for 50% off and not only are they there but 6 other pairs in different colors and Styles. Thats why you build this toon and why a shopper is important. For those who would like to be fair Id do this to play the game fairly. Build this build along side the character you wont to play/interested in playing. Level them both at the sametime and use your storage chect to shop for the other character.

yes this build still works very well even w/ all the patches. To be honest it doesnt do as well as it did when I first bought the game but its still nothing to overlook when it comes to making a character level very fast to help the other characters down the line. I.E thru (Bargaining)finding Rare items like amunlets and rings that cant be farmed off of boss/miniboss. I built that level 100 at the beggining using this guide and got to 100 in less then 20 hours. That was a month ago. the level one hundred from a month ago was more versitile in the aspect that she could kill bosses alot easier but as I got closer to 100 she started to take a beating due to the lack of defensesive bonus which you get from the shield Lore in the original build. With more time though that can easily be resolved thru time and shopping (adding in some vitality and dexterity)so up to you. No doubt do runspeed over mount. The original build of this character didnt even have a mount period. I had around150% runspeed so she was blazing fast and It seem to help the rush of experience that came through as well. That was before my final patch though.

Last point and the most valid of all the questions answered provided the best way to start this game would be read these post try it out for yourself then make the character tht you desire to play. There are no wrongs or rights not everyone wil ever play the same build the same. You could build this toon exactly like mine but if we played them together im 100% positive we wouldnt be doing the samethings at the same time. :P

Imo to start this game Dryad hands down is a great starter charcater no matter how you play her. Sword/dual,ranged or even polearm w/e she will always be powerful and fun to play.

well said well said! :D And yes I seem to get quite a bit more experience off mount when running around. I also used your tip of the day on entering inventory and switching over to miscellaneous and it either works by coincidence, or just plain old works! Anyways loving this build, great shopper, massive boss killer when all are modded, etc.

Started a VD dryad on 360 and it's working pretty well until the freezes. She's only like level 16 and I would run out of sloeford(north) then go east to round up a ton of kobolds and start diseasing everything. It froze completely 3 times right after I passed the like first bridge. Tried starting at a different warp, was doing fine, then it froze again 10 minutes later. 360 has no problems on anything else so it's got to be the game, and I imagine having a million monsters all with a DoT is screwing it up, but I don't know what to do differently here. Advice?

Started a VD dryad on 360 and it's working pretty well until the freezes. She's only like level 16 and I would run out of sloeford(north) then go east to round up a ton of kobolds and start diseasing everything. It froze completely 3 times right after I passed the like first bridge. Tried starting at a different warp, was doing fine, then it froze again 10 minutes later. 360 has no problems on anything else so it's got to be the game, and I imagine having a million monsters all with a DoT is screwing it up, but I don't know what to do differently here. Advice?

The key to the freeze or getting kicked off of the network (ps3) is not to keep running around waiting for the vd to pop. When you see the lagging (looks like character is glitching) or moving slow. Stop, cast your pet, throw out some lances or totem pole and pop a mentor potion. The experience. will be flowing and this is also a easy way to grab some loot for cash. Once the experience stops is very slow start running get some creatures ready and repeat what you just did.

PS3 users it is even worse by getting kick off the network before the freeze, only good thing about this is you can continue to run your vd run, save and start a new game. Bad thing is if you wanted to boost a few ppl it will not work unless you keep killing everything every minute or so.

I havent played on xbox so I'm not 100% sure what to do about that. I love the freezes on ps3 aside from getting kicked off the network cause it means you about to get an insane experience rush in a few seconds. Its always a good thing to save asap when it comes to this build or any voodoo build cause you will see those game freezes alot. I save after every level up so I know I will still have it after a freeze or crash.

I havent played on xbox so I'm not 100% sure what to do about that. I love the freezes on ps3 aside from getting kicked off the network cause it means you about to get an insane experience rush in a few seconds. Its always a good thing to save asap when it comes to this build or any voodoo build cause you will see those game freezes alot. I save after every level up so I know I will still have it after a freeze or crash.

Still no offline crashes on PS3. I had a 3, maybe 4-second flood of experience (level 54-56 in that time). I was scared it was going to crash, but I guess I gotta push it some more.... :)

Maybe there's not enough monsters in offline to get a crash....