Playing a melee character on the 360

Am I missing something or does playing a melee character on a console stink? Either I am doing something wrong, missing some major factor or playing a melee character versus a caster or range attacker is massive hard work. I am kicking around some ideas for another character but in the few minutes that I have messed with melee character builds, I can't see myself enjoying that for very long. I am hoping that I am doing something completely wrong however and that someone will shed some light on this.

Hi again =P

I started a Shadow Warrior the other day using Wraitking's dual wield build, found a couple of nice life leech swords on another char and hell be able to use them soon. I got him to 16 after a long struggle, and a few comments being left on that build page saying how weak the char was. I thought it was just cos melee chars don't auto target, think I may just make another Shadow Warrior later but using the skellie minion build, good job I didn't start making the dual wield seraphim like I was going to eh? :)

But yea I seriously think melee is gimped on consoles, unless there is auto targeting (like GWs if you have played it)

also like when I made that topic to help make my Temple Guardian and people not getting the idea that I wanted to be full caster, no melee whatsoever :)

Edited by sam6555
Hi again =P

I started a Shadow Warrior the other day using Wraitking's dual wield build, found a couple of nice life leech swords on another char and hell be able to use them soon. I got him to 16 after a long struggle, and a few comments being left on that build page saying how weak the char was. I thought it was just cos melee chars don't auto target, think I may just make another Shadow Warrior later but using the skellie minion build, good job I didn't start making the dual wield seraphim like I was going to eh? :)

But yea I seriously think melee is gimped on consoles, unless there is auto targeting (like GWs if you have played it)

also like when I made that topic to help make my Temple Guardian and people not getting the idea that I wanted to be full caster, no melee whatsoever :)

Good, then its not just me. I thought I was going to make a nice sword melee guy at some point to use some of these sick swords I have found but now I just don't think I could stomach it. I really like how the dryad and Seph auto aim. Thanks for the reply.

Agree, ranged or spells on consoles > melee.

BFG > everything :D....

Melee targetting on consoles = big suck.

Ok, I will admit there are issues if you absolutely have to ensure every swing / combat art is aimed at the optimal enemy. These can be minimized with careful play, and just generally sticking to it and learning how the console's auto-target works for melee combat. In fact, I would have to say that ranged and spell targeting on consoles <<<<< melee. Especially with an Area of Effect spells like Blazing Tempest or Glacial Thorns for High Elves. Direction and spread are so fustrating to get correct, I gave up on playing Elves. Temple Guardian is not so bad, as his Area of Effect's don't target.

I have to assume that you guys know how to change targets while holding your attack button? (use left stick left/right/up/down while holding your attack button) Again, practice makes perfect with it, and it is not perfect by any means, but at least you can control the action with a fair amount of precision.

I do agree that BFG is the stone nuts for weapons in the game. Provided you know how to keep it maximized (Runes and RT Focus, damage increasers, etc...)

One last note about melee characters... this is just my opinion, please don't scorn me into obilvion: All non-boss monsters should die in one shot. Including Champions / Elites / Purples. 2-shot kills (ie using deathblow) is OK... for the characters who don't excel at melee. I'm looking at you, Elf.

I have to go now, to toil thru darkness....

Scott

BFG > everything :P....

Ok, I will admit there are issues if you absolutely have to ensure every swing / combat art is aimed at the optimal enemy. These can be minimized with careful play, and just generally sticking to it and learning how the console's auto-target works for melee combat. In fact, I would have to say that ranged and spell targeting on consoles <<<<< melee. Especially with an Area of Effect spells like Blazing Tempest or Glacial Thorns for High Elves. Direction and spread are so fustrating to get correct, I gave up on playing Elves. Temple Guardian is not so bad, as his Area of Effect's don't target.

I have to assume that you guys know how to change targets while holding your attack button? (use left stick left/right/up/down while holding your attack button) Again, practice makes perfect with it, and it is not perfect by any means, but at least you can control the action with a fair amount of precision.

I do agree that BFG is the stone nuts for weapons in the game. Provided you know how to keep it maximized (Runes and RT Focus, damage increasers, etc...)

One last note about melee characters... this is just my opinion, please don't scorn me into obilvion: All non-boss monsters should die in one shot. Including Champions / Elites / Purples. 2-shot kills (ie using deathblow) is OK... for the characters who don't excel at melee. I'm looking at you, Elf.

I have to go now, to toil thru darkness....

Scott

Well everyone should also understand my frame of reference when I post. I play 99% of the time in co-op with my wife on the same xbox. This makes the camera/control a total issue that many of you probably don't have. So for me, melee is VERY HARD since I can't zoom in and I can't just take over control of the camera for me only and watch my wife start vomiting as I spin the screen out of her control.

Well everyone should also understand my frame of reference when I post. I play 99% of the time in co-op with my wife on the same xbox. This makes the camera/control a total issue that many of you probably don't have. So for me, melee is VERY HARD since I can't zoom in and I can't just take over control of the camera for me only and watch my wife start vomiting as I spin the screen out of her control.

Ahhhh.... you are playing co-op... cool. I do sometimes as well and now I completely understand and empathize. Sorry if I sounded crude in my post, I was not intending it to be pointed. (maybe finger shaking, but not pointing... 8)

I :4rofl: when I read the camera spinning comment... we do that all the time to each other, it was just something that we agreed that it was important to be able to see yourself when melee fighting (status effects, criticals, etc) so equal free reign of the camera for both of us. Lots of spinning when co-op play is in effect. No, not :drinks: .... OK, sometimes :tongue: then no camera controlling for either!

Scott

BFG > everything :drinks:....

Try both melee and Ranged on PC and I think you would change your mind. Melee on Console is much better than on PC IMO. Ranged on PC is the ultimate with a pure killing machine like BFG or Dryad hunter. you just click on what you want to die and :tongue: its dead!